test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An idea to balance PVP without impacting PVE

oremonger#9999 oremonger Member Posts: 213 Arc User
edited May 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
@mimicking#6533 @nitocris83

I am not asking for the end of PVP, I think everyone should be able to play the way they want to, PVP or PVE makes no difference to me. I hate seeing one or the other suffer. Your current strategy makes both groups suffer.

I am sure you probably have thought of this in the past but on the off chance you have not...

Free PVP only gear much like the free Undermountain gear available via a small quest.
1 Free PVP loadout slot.

When you enter a PVP instance:
instance Buff - Buff encounters, at-wills depending on class and desired balance.
instance Debuff - Remove available encounters class features depending on class and desired balance.
instance Scaling - Scale all participants UP to the same IL and gear score.

All three are applied when you enter the instance and expire when exiting.
You have demonstrated the ability to do all of the above so there is already existing code.

No need to nerf classes in PVE because they are too powerful or have unfair advantages in PVP.
The last numbers I saw had a 90% - 10% split between PVE and PVP. I am pretty sure PVP is even lower now.
Why on earth would you make changes to the 90% for the benefit of the < 10%?

As has been pointed out hundreds of times, most people do not play your game for PVP. There are several other games that do PVP 100 times better than you ever could in this game given the engine limitations and the limitations of the subject matter. I know there are still some really diehard PVP folks out there and I know that they are very vocal. You will probably see that in this thread.

So I leave you with one last comment.

You have the metrics and the ability to track PVP vs PVE participation. I know every time I ever even tried to queue for PVP content that I gave up due to the queue never popping. I was only ever able to experience PVP with 2 premade groups. I didn't care for the experience, I have played much better open world PVP games.

I know that instead of doing the Stronghold siege event as intended most of the player base just didn't PVP. You saw this as not WAI so you put a stop to it. Think about that for a second, a large portion of your player base figured out how to do a PVP event without the PVP. That alone should tell you something. Look and see exactly how many Stronghold Siege events have been run since you changed it. I would bet it is 0, but who knows maybe there are still PVP guilds out there.

I am not asking for the end of PVP, I think everyone should be able to play the way they want to, PVP or PVE makes no difference to me. I hate seeing one or the other suffer. Your current strategy makes both groups suffer.

Comments

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    tbh either scaling is extremely buggy or there is more to it than just balancing PVP. They could have restricted scaling to PVE maps if that was all it was.
  • oremonger#9999 oremonger Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    @lantern22

I made this post in response to something Mr. Foss said in the live stream today. His excuse for some of the changes included a comment about balancing PVP.

Live Stream go to time mark 38:24
    Post edited by oremonger#9999 on
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Pvp is toast as far as I can see.

I think the only thing that could save it is vanilla mode, everyone has set gear, set attribute stats on entrance. Mount bonuses, active artifact, belt slots except healing pots... all disabled. Then add soloQ to the random AD list dailies.

Leave seige and open world as anything goes areas.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    yeah, pvp sucks so bad now. At first I was a little excited, "yay now I can survive longer", but that quickly turned into, "wow, everyone can survive longer", and finally into "damn, this is boring, no one is dying, it's a contest about who gets bored first".

It basically boils down to whichever team has the most tankier players and can cap node first and hold em by keeping the same or at least one more player on them. Sometimes you can take a node by having one more player on it, but then usually your team will lose a node if they were holding one. And sometimes there is a player that is too squishy (usually a tr or hr) and you can keep killing them so that it is 4 vs 5.

Part of the problem why pvp has such poor participation rates, is because it has not received any real attention from the devs, they bandage a few problems here and there, but no much more than that. The same basic problems are still there, almost no rewards, unbalanced matches, pve gear that breaks pvp, etc, etc. If new players can't have fun in PVP, we will be stuck with the same godlike players, many of whom are slowly abandoning the game for one reason or another.