test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Insufficient number of instances

hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
Not sure why this is happening, but the number of instances appears to have been reduced, resulting in SEVERE lag in many zones.
I was just attempting to do quests in WoD zone. Four instances, ranging from 23 to 30 players each. Consistent rubber-banding through the entire zone. Attempting to pick up quest items takes 5-10 seconds each, it's ridiculous. If you've removed hardware to save costs, you need to reverse course or you're going to lose even more players.

Comments

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I heard a rumour that one of the reasons why they removed buffs was to reduce server loading and therefore reduce the number of servers for NWO. Not sure about whether that true, but lag has been much much much worse since Mod 16.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    This is actually really odd, since one of the stated reasons for the removal of all the boons that would trigger and have specific effect under certain conditions (and replace most of them with simple stat increase boons) was to reduce the amount of calculations that had to be done per frame, with the intention to improve overall performance.

Instead performance has gone down, way down, with Mod 16.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Instances aren't something created or removed by the devs... It depends on the number of players in a particular zone. More players = more instances. And your conclusion is really odd. Fewer instances, if anything, would mean increased performance (due to fewer players).

The performance issues some are facing is unlikely to have anything to do with what's been stated here.
    FrozenFire
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User

Instances aren't something created or removed by the devs... It depends on the number of players in a particular zone. More players = more instances. And your conclusion is really odd. Fewer instances, if anything, would mean increased performance (due to fewer players).

The performance issues some are facing is unlikely to have anything to do with what's been stated here.

More players in this case is not resulting in more instances. It used to cap at 20 before creating a new instance. You had to get someone to invite you to such an instance for dragon runs, back when those were popular.
    Now I'm seeing 23-30 players per instance.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Well of Dragons has a higher cap though. It has been 35 or 40 as long as I can remember, since returning in mod 9. It has also tended to be laggier that other areas of the game. Given that everywhere is laggier, it is unsurprising that WoD would be bad.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother