test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mod 16: Tanking Scaled Content

obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
The following is based on mys experience and exploration on Preview and Live. It is focused on the most heavily scaled content where I have been running RIQ with a healer from Alliance and a mix of dps from Alliance and PUG. On preview with this advice I could complete SoT solo and comfortably solo (unbugged) trash in other dungeons (that was enough that I was confident that a party could manage the bosses, as in this set up my damage drops too much to handle bosses in a timely manner).

Basic Concepts
1) Private Q into KR. This will give you the minimum stats you will have for scaled content that it will matter for.

2) You can now use the Collections to look at gear to see what bonuses it will give in KR!

3) As a Tank your priority for scaled content is Defence & HP, then ArP, then Accuracy.
Defence matters because it is applied before the "HP" of your Shield is reduced and HP matters because your shield is 50% of that value. So you reduce the HP loss of your shield by having more defence and you have a bigger shield by having more HP. Which means you can just take more hits with your shield and take less damage, and survive more of it, when your shield isn't up or when it breaks.

4) Things that are not scaled: Artifacts, Boons, Weapon Damage, Equip Powers (Companions, Mounts, Gear).

General Gear Advice Trying to Keep Costs down:

Look at Primal Ward Rings, Pioneer Ward Charayneh as gear. Use the Primal Paints shirt/pants.

Those Rank 8 Azures that Neverember gives you are quite handy to drop in Defence slots on this gear you are only going to use in Scaled content.

Cheap Companions: (buy the highest rank you can afford) Man At Arms, (Dwarven) Wayward Wizard, Green Slime (upgrade to Blue ASAP).

Augment: get an Augment as high as you can. Good choices: Watler, Ioun Stone of Might, Red Dragon Ioun Stone, Quasit, Boar Shoat, Infant Gorilla.

Weapon Enchant: same as for unscaled.

Armor Enchant: I actually use my Rank 11 Negation here, but Eclipse is still good if high enough for the Stamina effect to proc.

If you have a set from prior mods, the Valhalla set is good, but I wouldn’t chase and refine it atm just for scaled content.

Mounts:
10k Defence: Legendary Carpet of Flying (it’s attack is amazing now as well)
5K Defence: Carpet of Flying, Lord’s Armored Polar Bear, Suartuk’s Giant Red Crab
2.5k Defence: Savage Polar Bear, Siegebreaker Griffon, Silverleaf Sled, Spiked Deinonychus
Honorable mention: Legendary Triceratops with 25k HP.

Active Artifact: OP Sigil

Powers That I Use:
Oath Strike, Radiant Strike
Vow of Vengeance/Wrath, Composure
Vow of Enmity, Relentless Avenger, Burning Light
Divine Judgement/Radiant Charge, Shield of Faith

Vengeance with a low CC party, Wrath with a high CC one. (Note CC is much more effective in dungeons now, it’s part of why Burning Light is so useful.)

If you are having Aggro issues, and DPS isn’t running ahead, swap Relentless for Sacred Weapon.

Key Feats:
Sacred Shield, Burning Vengeance, Sheltering Light and Unyielding Presence.

Tab with Unyielding Presence blocks 75% of damage (25% more than defence gives) from all directions. So this makes you more durable in the initial burst of a fight, which is more important when you are struggling to cap everything and so is everyone else.

Key Boons:
Defence, Awareness, Critical Resist, Furious Retaliation

Before starting a fight; hit Tab.
Start fight with Vow.
Then RA, then once the mobs are bunched on you hit BL.
Take a few more hits with Tab on then turn it off and hit Shield of Faith. Then mix Oath Strike and Shift to hold aggro and rebuild Divinity/AP.

If everyone else has a clue this will clear trash fine.

Same rotation works on bosses, but the OP Sigil will be more useful now. It can be put into trash rotations as well to help proc various things and buff general durability.
Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
Obsidian Oath - Warlock
A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.

Comments

• Options
    An update on this with the changes in the last patch mSP and up are better done on my toon now by tweaking my 80 build for that content (swapping mount power and 1 pet power) rather than using my 70 loadout.

So be sure to check the different dungeon iLs for the best gear points for you.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    ron#1747 ron Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    Am I the only oathkeeper paladin? I only see justicars lol
  • Options
    ron#1747 said:

No.

I just happen to play Justicar, but plenty of people play Oathkeeper. I was in HEs with one today, I’ve been running MEs with a couple.

I just haven’t looked at that side of the class yet.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    ron#1747 said:

No Ron. You are not alone. I say we form a support group of our own. B)

ron#1747 said:

No.

I just happen to play Justicar, but plenty of people play Oathkeeper. I was in HEs with one today, I’ve been running MEs with a couple.

I just haven’t looked at that side of the class yet.
    Hey Obi. Question - Have you tried to regain or keep aggro using that feat that generates threat for divine touch? A guildie of mine and a couple other were trying it out today, and I got to say I was surprised it seemed to work out as well as it did. Between myself, a 18k warden ranger our 22K Arcanist guild leader, none of us were able to keep it from taking it back for very long. My only concern is the divinity cost. Seems a lot simply to pull the mobs back or pick them up in the first place if there are much better (and cheaper) options. Any thoughts?
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    From my side of the shield tanking seems to be going well.

There are times when someone (like a ranger) insists on standing 1000 miles away and they will have a single mob chase after them.

But typically I’m only running Vow and Oath Strike to generate aggro, if I see things starting to get away I can add more aggro generation to my rotation.

So short answer: no I haven’t tried, but yes adding aggro to healing which makes aggro should work well.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock