test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why say "game doesn't really start till level 70?"

I am new to MMO games. I've heard that statement alot in describing this game. What, exactly, does that mean? Thanks for any help

Comments

• zalsaria#4095 zalsaria Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @"allthumbs#8758" said:
    > I am new to MMO games. I've heard that statement alot in describing this game. What, exactly, does that mean? Thanks for any help

It means that a majority of the stuff you do in the game besides leveling up happens at max level (which is 70 currently.) All endgame opens up, the grinds/areas open up, etc.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Level 70 is current level cap, next week they will say it doesn't start until you are 80. It is only a cliche phrase. It will take you about 100 hours of play to get to the level cap. Take your time, have fun along the way. Leveling it not an issue, play the quests and you will get there. Many of the campaigns and dungeons are level locked and that is for your safety and sanity, not to exclude you from content. If you need any help ask for it and most players are helpful to some degree.

Welcome to the game <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    The leveling game is to teach you your character and its powers.

Endgame is where you put those lessons to use.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • zalsaria#4095 zalsaria Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @sandukutupu said:
    > Level 70 is current level cap, next week they will say it doesn't start until you are 80. It is only a cliche phrase. It will take you about 100 hours of play to get to the level cap. Take your time, have fun along the way. Leveling it not an issue, play the quests and you will get there. Many of the campaigns and dungeons are level locked and that is for your safety and sanity, not to exclude you from content. If you need any help ask for it and most players are helpful to some degree.
    >
    > Welcome to the game <3

Mhm, it is very cliche, but also very true for certain games.
  • allthumbs#8758 allthumbs Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Thanks. So you are also saying there are a bunch of new quests and things that don't start until level 70?
    Can a player still play solo after level 70?

Post edited by allthumbs#8758 on
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Personally, I think the best part of the game is before 70. You still get some story here and there afterwards, but it's predominately grind. I take my time with the earlier stuff whenever I have a new character - no need to rush through. Actually, I don't even like to invoke more than once a day so my newb doesn't level too fast.

Pretty sure you can solo every campaign, but you can't solo everything.
    Post edited by frogwalloper#6494 on
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I personally enjoy 'the journey' of the game before level 70 (and soon, before level 80). Well, I mean, I did enjoy, in the past, when the game was fun to play. That may or may not change after mod 16 drops.

Levelling up to the cap, is where most of the story occurs, most of the exploration/travelling etc, most of the 'experimenting with your powers/feats, most of the 'learning how various game mechanics work'. It is also, in general, fairly easy going. Even solo with one companion, just by using the various drops and rewards for gear etc., I didn't find much that was 'hard' to do on the levelling journey. So for me, the 'levelling' process is 'most of the game'.

However, it is fairly accurate to say that levelling up to max, and using okay/decent gear to get there, is really the 'training session' in Neverwinter. After you hit level max cap, is generally when you really start to refine your build, pile on the boons, maybe retrain your character to make best use of your feats etc. It's also when you really start to grind the AD and the high end gear needed to really 'maximize' your character.

It is also the time you need to learn to fit your abilities into and work together with a team in order to complete the more difficult content.

The process of maximizing takes much longer, and is a fair bit harder, and takes more game knowledge/experience, than the entire levelling process. So that's why they call levelling 'the tutorial' and after-max 'the real game'.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Thanks. So you are also saying there are a bunch of new quests and things that don't start until level 70?
    Can a player still play solo after level 70?

Yes. The campaign zones are all designed as solo content areas, with some sections that invite/require casual group participation - heroic encounters, etc.