test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Empire of Pixels

I Really Miss Playing Neverwinter

About a year and a half ago, I decided to download NW. I come from a mostly SP gaming background and was weary of MMOs. But a mate of mine suggested NW.

Let me tell I was hooked from the start for so many reasons.

First, the character creation was so fun! Yes, NW’s CC is not the best out there but it was still a fun experience and creating it from scratch (including rolling your abilities that actually mean something) was so much like what I remembered from playing D&D back in the 80's. (Yes, yes I’m old)

I chose a CW as my first character and admittedly it was tough going early days. I seemed to be so much slower and less powerful than other characters but I ground it out and stuck with her. I pounded it out till I got to level 70 and completed the entire EE campaign. OMG did I think I was going to be stuck doing that forever but when I finished it felt so amazing!

From that point I started paying more attention to stuff online and figuring out what campaigns to run and all that but she remained uniquely my character. And she is still my main and is just shy of 17K now.

Since then, oh boy, I have twelve alts, purchased VIP (level 12), my own guild (in a fantastic alliance) and played nearly every day since I started. All my toons have their own background I have written out for them, thoughtful names, very unique looks via CC, fashion and armours, personalities and I love them all to bits. They are my babies! My only issue has been not having enough time in the day to play as much as I like!

I’m also not too proud to admit I have dropped a ton of money on this game. At least 100 a month, many times way more than that. The way I figure it, most games I buy would give me 30-60 hours of play time and they are done. With NW, it is free to play, I can play as long as I like, and I spend as I go if and only if I want. It’s great and fun entertainment and it’s money well spent as far as I am concerned.

The new professions hit me hard and I had invested a lot of time and effort into the old system and ultimately decided not to participate in the new system. Which was ok to me as it was not a major reason I played the game. It was and always has been about having fun, unique toons.

I have never paid too much attention to BiS gear and best builds but I do pay attention to them peripherally and if I am having an issue I ask around for suggestions. All of my tunes have unique builds even ones that are the same class. I rarely see other toon built like mine or even close to looking like mine and I adore that so much. Here we are in this world of so many other players and yet here I am still allowed to be uniquely me in this beautiful fantasy setting.

And then– here comes mod 16. I am crushed. So much nerfing and compliance. Let me say, I understand that the new system is very playable and doable. But that doesn’t make it enjoyable or fun. It feels and seems so dumbed down and forcing so many things in the past they let us use nuance and subtlety (read as fun) now forces us into a simple binary or even single pathway. It’s cookie cutter MMO.

Now, let’s talk about scaling and what a horrible ideal that is. What is the point of making your toon stronger and more powerful if it never gets to see that strength and power in action? Think about this. Remember when you did ghost stories (or tried to do ghost stories) as a level 60 and it was so freaking hard? And then one day you are repeating it as a level 70 and just crush it! How amazing is that feeling? How amazing is it when you solo a dragon for the first time? I can go on and on, but seeing your character grow is one of the most amazing parts of the game! It’s so satisfying. It makes the time (and money) all seem worth it. Now, scaling us down so that we have to slog through Sharandar with boring at wills ad nauseam whilst before we could stomp through it like gods (because we worked our arses off to get more powerful) and then get this feeling of wow! Look at me go! Why are you taking this away from us? This is why we play!

I get that there should always be areas where have to work at it but those should be the levels that are above or at our current playing level but not at stuff, where in all perspectives, we should be able to have easier times with. We should be allowed to crush our enemies from time to time. Otherwise, what’s the freaking point or levelling up? We work hard on our build and gear and enchants and having them all nuked in mod 16?

I know there needs to be change to address issue but throwing out the baby with the bathwater is not the answer. Not this drastically. If the game is not fun (and gratifying) people won’t play it.

I started a new CW (first one since my main) and have got her through about level 40ish now. I’m making her completely different in so many ways than my first and was having a freaking blast! But now, I’m like, what’s the point? We all know anything I do now will be nerfed, taken away and dumbed down to the extent that I will have to play her exactly like everyone else will.

Why not just take away character creation altogether? This feels like where NW is going. Instead of letting us create a character let us pick from a list of twenty or so pre-made, pre-named, unalterable characters that all we do is just play for gear and enchants. Hell, then you can port it to mobile gaming! Won’t that be exciting! And easy to maintain! And profitable!

So, here I sit, with my empire of pixels, no longer playing because I know no matter what I do it doesn’t matter. I sign in just to get my key, that I’m not even using at this point. Just me and my empire of pixels waiting to fade away.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts

Comments