test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Handling nerfs, and scaling throughout the game

So, the dreaded nerf fest is about to hit us with M16, as it has been a trend over the last few mods while they've been giving the ridiculously OP gear such as shadowstalker rings.

In any case, I'm wondering - do the devs understand why we don't like nerfs?

Okay, a few scenarios to explain, so we get a clear picture.

Say you bought a TV. It's a nice TV, a pretty nice deal but still fairly expensive. About 2 days later, you see a flier that has that same TV on discount for 30%, and then you dread how you got the TV just that one bit too early, and you paid more. Would feel awful, right?

Another scenario would be something like the computer industry. Let's say you bought some GPU for about 350$, that performs really good and does its job brilliantly. Then, you see that same company drop a previous generation's price just enough to make your GPU worse value. And then you would want to set them on fire.

See how in both cases the problem isn't the performance or anything, but the value? The investment that came with it?
The issue we're facing now is quite simple. Since they've added gear that scales throughout the game because of % bonuses, how do you handle this?

Well, a prime example of how NOT to handle this is M12b - and the bonding nerf.

Everyone invested millions and millions into bondings, got their stats balanced perfectly, and then that got thrown into the bins. That didn't feel good. At all. The issue got worse once they said that we can buy some of the stats back through upgrading to R14, so not only did they spit in our face by making us rebalance our stats, but they also stepped on us by making us overpay for a bit of the previous stats.
Okay, I'll end my personal rant for now.

So we're completely fine with content being harder and slower, but we're not okay having to pay TWICE for something, in short.

So basically, how about this - K-team-esque scaling for all dungeons, if you want the special rewards. If you want the usual (eg ToNG with UES), you keep the IL and stats and gear and everything as normal. That will give everyone a reason to play both. One for stuff, and other for casual runs for fun.

The more I hear about M16, the more I prefer AK47.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

The more I hear about

Wait a second, how are you figuring out all this information?

Is this some GWF nerf insight preparing you for the day the Complaints Wizards finally triumph and get GWF nerfed? :wink:

Or is it true that Minimeme somehow was right about all the crazy things he said about Mod 16?

The MK14 EBR is a sexier rifle than that plastic Mattel 16 and that inaccurate Soviet garbage :smirk:

• gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

The more I hear about

Wait a second, how are you figuring out all this information?

Is this some GWF nerf insight preparing you for the day the Complaints Wizards finally triumph and get GWF nerfed? :wink:

Or is it true that Minimeme somehow was right about all the crazy things he said about Mod 16?

The MK14 EBR is a sexier rifle than that plastic Mattel 16 and that inaccurate Soviet garbage :smirk:
    Nah, just rumors and utter fear that is rooted in my bones. I still remember M12b like it was yesterday. It's like PTSD for me, really.

The rumors are spooky enough to make my sphincter shut so quickly you could use it as a cigar cutter.

And if I wanted a less educated opinion than a tree, i'd certainly look there.

And M14 is sweet, but dayum have ya seen CMMG mutant? Those things are HAWT AF