test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does music keep going after I quit the game?

phoenix1951phoenix1951 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
When I quit playing Neverwinter the client seems to remain active in the background. I can hear music and it is almost impossible to use the PC until the music stops and the game shuts down completely. This can happen for up to 5 minutes anyone have any suggestions as to how I might resolve this issue?

Answers

• Options
    athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    use the taskmanager to close the "gameclient.exe". Whenever i put my computer to sleep and then waken and play more, the game takes too long to close properly. This is the only way i know of to hurry the process along.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    The technical problem is not about the music. The problem is the program could not clean up and stop in the normal fashion and took a long time. I get used to it now. Usually, it is when I suspect the program is already in memory leak and progressively take more and more memory. When I notice it (usually, the program is slower and slower and I check its memory consumption through task manager), I exit the game. Then, the Gameclient may take a long time to do clean up and the music does not stop until that is done.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Surely there is a solution to this annoying problem without having to open task manager and closing down the client manually seems a very clumsy solution to me. When I first started playing Neverwinter in Beta stage this did not happen it has only appeared in the past 12 months or so.
  • Options

Surely there is a solution to this annoying problem without having to open task manager and closing down the client manually seems a very clumsy solution to me. When I first started playing Neverwinter in Beta stage this did not happen it has only appeared in the past 12 months or so.

It is not a solution. It is a workaround.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    OK point taken perhaps I should have said that it seems a 'very clumsy workaround'.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2019

When I quit playing Neverwinter the client seems to remain active in the background. I can hear music and it is almost impossible to use the PC until the music stops and the game shuts down completely. This can happen for up to 5 minutes anyone have any suggestions as to how I might resolve this issue?

Sounds to me like the issue is the speed at which your computer operates.

The first hint was you saying you couldn't do anything else until the game client closed down, the second is when you said it can take 5 minutes before the music goes away...

I had an older laptop with similar issues but when I eventually purchased a new laptop not only can I do other things immediately after signing out of Neverwinter, but I can also do other things while Neverwinter is running.

I know this probably isn't what you were wanting to hear, but seems to me it might be time for a computer upgrade - or just use the task manager for a quicker exit.

Anyway, that's my 2¢

DD~
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    dionchi said:

The first hint was you saying you couldn't do anything else until the game client closed down, the second is when you said it can take 5 minutes before the music goes away...

I had an older laptop with similar issues but when I eventually purchased a new laptop not only can I do other things immediately after signing out of Neverwinter, but I can also do other things while Neverwinter is running.

I know this probably isn't what you were wanting to hear, but seems to me it might be time for a computer upgrade - or just use the task manager for a quicker exit.

Anyway, that's my 2¢

No, I don't think it is hardware issue. At least not the main issue. The program has issue. I can almost predict when that can happen. There are sign/symptom for me to pick up. When the "symptom" occurs and I choose to exit the program right the way, the program can exit fast. However, if I allow it to run for a while longer, the program cannot exit properly (as taking a long while to clean up). When it has issue, when it tires to do exit clean up, I can see its memory allocation is not getting release. The program memory consumption goes up and down, up and down for a long time before it finally releases them and exit.

I have a gaming laptop. I also play the game, run a browser in separate screen, run the task manager to monitor memory consumption, etc. When NW program takes its sweat time to clean up and exit, I usually just come here and check the forum using the browser.

I notice that for almost a year now.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    My PC is relatively new. I've been running into issues of late where the sound keeps running after the game is closed, but the program still shows in the task manager as running.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2019

dionchi said:

Anyway, that's my 2¢

No, I don't think it is hardware issue. At least not the main issue. The program has issue. I can almost predict when that can happen. There are sign/symptom for me to pick up. When the "symptom" occurs and I choose to exit the program right the way, the program can exit fast. However, if I allow it to run for a while longer, the program cannot exit properly (as taking a long while to clean up). When it has issue, when it tires to do exit clean up, I can see its memory allocation is not getting release. The program memory consumption goes up and down, up and down for a long time before it finally releases them and exit.

I have a gaming laptop. I also play the game, run a browser in separate screen, run the task manager to monitor memory consumption, etc. When NW program takes its sweat time to clean up and exit, I usually just come here and check the forum using the browser.

I notice that for almost a year now.
    greywynd said:

My PC is relatively new. I've been running into issues of late where the sound keeps running after the game is closed, but the program still shows in the task manager as running.

Interesting, I've had the issue of the music lasting a few seconds after exiting, but never experienced it lasting anywhere near 5 minutes.

Learn something new every day ~ :+1:

DD~
  • Options
    athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    its definitely a memory leak like plasticbat said. NWO has always had issues with memory handling. I've had to restart my game at least once a day to clear up the memory problems, server lag, and rough running that this game gives me.
  • Options
    Success!!!!!!! the problem was a failed DIMM meaning that my system was operating on 4Gb instead of 8Gb memory - after replacing the sticks with others the game now shuts down immediately so it was indeed a memory issue but not necessarily 'leakage' more physical failure - thanks for all the suggestions though.