test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How I would update the classes

Most of us agree that the current classes are basically broken. I was thinking about this and was also thinking how "real" pen a paper D&D party groups work and had these musings as to how I would update the classes. Note, I don't expect these types of changes, IMHO, NW seems to be in maintenance mode, enough to cont. to pull profit but no major reinvestment.

First off, I would make the god you choose actually mean something. For class specifics like cleric and paladin, the god would change their powers a bit. For others maybe you get certain boons or rewards during invoking. I would also throw in a god quest during leveling.

For healer, I would give the cleric a update and give them "resurrection" and things like Protection against Evil and Turn Undead and such along with their healing. They should also be allowed to use weapons like D&D clerics, not just throwing spells. Most in D&D are front line fighters, not rear support.

For the paladin, let them call down the power of their god. How about a class power that turns their weapon into a Holy Avenger. In DnD the paladin mount is also significant, give a class quest at LV 70 that gives them a free legendary mount that is specific to the class. Have the god they choose influence their fighting style.

The problem with the TR is using their traditional powers in an MMO. Re-tool dungeons that require trap disarmament or you are at a great disadvantage. Also make it beneficial to go stealth to steal a key from a chest instead of fighting whats in that room. And disconnect PVP from PVE in that the TR should be a one hit killer but suck a mobs. Poisons should also play a role in their powers.

For HR, specifically the Archer role, I would give a encounter power called "find cover", kinda like the daily, that would reduce their visibility to foes, increase their deflection, etc. Make it so when its up, they have to move X amount of distance before evoking it again. I would give them a class power that allows them to pull 50% of the buffs from 100+ distance from other players and allow their "strike" locations to be buffing points to dispense their buffs. This would make the archer viable. As far as the melee powers and tracks, they seem fine.

The CW is must a mess and almost needs to be either completely scraped or renamed an elementalist and just scrap most of the control effects be cause control seems to be broken beyond repair. They really need a true mage, just go into the D&D players handbook and create one. Mages are my go to player class in D&D and so I could fill a blog on what powers and such I would love to see but that is beyond this post. There are certain limitations that making an MMO class puts on creating a mage so I get that but the CW is pathetic as a mage.

The other classes I think pretty much play as intended outside maybe some tweaks.

These are just my thoughts typed out. Again, have no expectations that any of this would be implemented but one can dream.