test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

With the changes to professions and gold demand, how will you combat botting?

vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
edited November 2018 in Player Feedback (PC)
With the demand for gold increasing in Mod 15, it is easy to see that any instance that drops gold (or items which sell for gold) will be eminently bottable.

Previously it was skill nodes and easy AD at the end of a dungeon/skirmish/PvP which was being botted (and low level dungeons still are). Now you are making whole instances, everywhere, bottable.

Is this a cause for concern with the development team? How will this be managed? Or will you wait to see what happens first?

On the other hand:

Perhaps I'm over-reacting? Maybe a number of people won't be going into Professions (as was the intention stated by a Dev), while those who have already invested heavily in professions have a stack of gold they'd be able to use as a buffer, and thus the demand for gold won't be too high (initially at least).

Maybe it will be a wait-and-see approach (and tweak things as we go along ...)
Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    With "use leadership for RP" gone, I expect that most players will not bother that much with professions. The exceptions will be
    1. Dedicated mastercrafters...those few people that already have MW at maximum rank, and hope to make a nice amount of AD between now and the release of Mod 16, which possibly will make crafting useless again. Many of the mastercrafters I know have been stocking up on Gold in preparation - got 10.000 Gold or in some cases much more.
    2. People hoping to make crates or other items for guild donations. Whether that is really feasible, considering the gold cost is not entirely clear. However, it is easy to make, say, 10 gold per day just by selling random trash and that should be enough for this purpose.
    So, will there really be a market for the Goldsellers? I don't know.

Hoping for improvements...
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Its not worth the gold investment for 90% of the playerbase.. the 10% that are left doing it, would have to choose if they wanted a chance to be banned over some gold, I mean you can buy it in game from people for smops or something.. why bother doing that.

There really is not reason to do professions except for a very small % of poeple doing masterworks and a few doing reinforce kits/guild donations or something.

RP is totally fruitless, all equipment below Masterworks is totally useless, you outlevel anything below 70 and they will not make anything other then masterworks class stuff usable in game, you can just go do random leveling queus and get primal gear for doing nothing , or get a free set of visanti stuff for nothing.. all of which will be better then the stuff they will give you outside of masterwork class stuff.

• someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Goldocalypse is coming. Prepare to the yellow dust storm.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    adinosii said:

With "use leadership for RP" gone, I expect that most players will not bother that much with professions. The exceptions will be

1. Dedicated mastercrafters...those few people that already have MW at maximum rank, and hope to make a nice amount of AD between now and the release of Mod 16, which possibly will make crafting useless again. Many of the mastercrafters I know have been stocking up on Gold in preparation - got 10.000 Gold or in some cases much more.
    2. People hoping to make crates or other items for guild donations. Whether that is really feasible, considering the gold cost is not entirely clear. However, it is easy to make, say, 10 gold per day just by selling random trash and that should be enough for this purpose.
    So, will there really be a market for the Goldsellers? I don't know.

There is a market for Goldseller already. Not necessary for cash but for AD. I have been selling Gold items in AH for a long time. They are sold well along with potion (which is also another 'gold' item). There is already a market and the market will be bigger in mod 15. Since potion will not be dropped, I have been stashing my gold items.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

There is a market for Goldseller already. Not necessary for cash but for AD.

Ah, I know that, but I am talking specifically about Gold. Until now the demand for it has been minimal - it is easy enough to make like 10G per day through normal play and that is more than enough for most people.

This will change with Mod 15, as far as crafters are concerned.

Now, I am in the small minority of players that enjoys crafting for its own sake. I have been estimating how much gold I need and ended up with 10.000 Gold as an absolute minimum for what I want to do....I'm aiming for 20K just to be on the safe side, and to get that amount, a little more than "normal play" is needed - you can only get that through trading.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    adinosii said:

There is a market for Goldseller already. Not necessary for cash but for AD.

Ah, I know that, but I am talking specifically about Gold. Until now the demand for it has been minimal - it is easy enough to make like 10G per day through normal play and that is more than enough for most people.

This will change with Mod 15, as far as crafters are concerned.

Now, I am in the small minority of players that enjoys crafting for its own sake. I have been estimating how much gold I need and ended up with 10.000 Gold as an absolute minimum for what I want to do....I'm aiming for 20K just to be on the safe side, and to get that amount, a little more than "normal play" is needed - you can only get that through trading.
    Can you describe what 10K or 20K gold can do? What can it produce? Is it a start up cost? Or, operating cost (say per month)? I don't know anything. I just want to learn a bit. If it is only 20K gold for start up, I am good. Thanks in advance.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Sorry for the pessimistic bits, but IMO it will go like this:

First the price will go up due to speculations, this is what happens now, already people buying out, even at 250AD per 1 Gold.

People have reserves, and some won't even count the gold into the craft cost, price will stabilize, probably much cheaper than the initial rush.

RP prices will slowly go up, people who opted out from crafting and others will start to craft again.
    Reserves will start to end, gold price will start to go up.

Few months and bots will figure it out, not the players that bot, but the many-disposable-account professional bots, gold price will begin to drop.
    Some will start hoarding gold again in large amount.**

After a year or so, devs will notice that the amount of gold that enters the economy is larger than before all the sinks introduced.

After another year or so, someone will actually decide to spare some time from making the next repeatable daily quest to check the obvious "why?". That is even someone will even care.

Gold is a tradable currency, it can't be bound, or can't be limited in trade, so indeed if someone will care, in a mod or two after the realization of the bot economy, we will have a 'goldgate' where gold vending will be removed, and gold sources limited to some daily quests, HEs, or dungeon chests.
    Gold price will spike, players who focus on crafting and less on anything else will be 'very happy'.

Those that hoarded the gold earlier (**) will make millions out of it now.

After a while, a resonating 'feature' will be discovered that allows to duplicate or some sort of gold income, fun will ensue...
    And history repeats..

But ofc, who knows what the future holds..
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    How will they combat botting? ROFLMAO the same way they always do they will just remove gold from dropping ,kind of like how they did away with enchants/runes in skill nodes or ad in leadership. That is their standard answer to botting remove the item that is being botted instead of actully doing away with those that do it.
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Is that not why they preemptively removed potion drops? I mean, i'm sure they used another invalid reason to explain the removal but the fact was that potions are a source of gold so they removed them as drops.

All this talk of gold being worthless for so long. Whispers of people piling it up with nothing to spend it on.

Why, this reminds me of a time when people actually wanted gold. It was a species of toon that is now almost extinct. If I recall correctly, they were referred to as PVP players.

I can remember the days of people selling gold to PVP players. Those poor guys had to swap around enchants all the time to play PVE versus PVP content.

It's no small coincidence that gold has slowly been piling due to the PVP player having been pushed to near extinction.
  • elfarchelfarch Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I'm a crafting nutter so I'm scratching around to keep producing even though most stuff is as useless as always. Gotta have em all and all that. ;)
    As for gold, well I'm always short due to enchant swaps and feeding the guild coffers, be nice if anyone else did.
    It would be nice if mastercrafters could tack on various bonuses, possibly with accompanying reductions, to the dropped and/or earned gears.