test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skills with damage buff shouldn't buff defense

muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User
Neverwinter is in the state where everyone runs with capped defensive layers.. most of them come from various sources. I believe we can't eat the cookie and have the cookie and we need to specialize. I will use few DC skills as an example:

Hallowed Ground - 35% buff and 35% DR
Break the spirit - 21% buff and 20% enemy damage reduction
Anointed Army - powershare + protection mechanism (20% of you hp for each ball)
Divine Glow - 12.5% buff, 10% debuff (depends on normal/divinity type), 17.5% DR

You can use dedicated defensive skills like Astral Shield (40% extra DR)

And there is Shephard Devotion that grants a lot of defense (but it's more related to powercreep in general than problem with this bonus itself).

A lot of classes have similiar defensive bonuses/auras/feats. It makes us basically immortal and there isn't need for dedicated tank role anymore. Everyone just stack power/crit because defensive stats are more or less useless.. . People ignore red circles and just face tank any content right now (with exception for Cradle but it have different mechanics like Sword with 80% DR anyway).

What would be best solution? Specialize. Using DC as an example (again since it's my main) we could give Righteous path all buffs (so HG would give buff only etc), Faithful defensive buffs, Virtuous other effects (it could add increasing healing etc..not usable right now anyway). Or at least decrease defesinve buffs.. so it will not reach cap (80%, 95% if we count DI) just by using skills without need to gear up. Or just move defensive buffs into other skills (not utilized in any way now).

@thefabricant have similiar mindset on this issue in his thread https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/13036099

Comments

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm not saying the separation is good or bad but no matter how you cut it all you've done is eliminate build paths. You're saying specialize but what that really means is limitation. Using your own idea, what do you think most DCs will end up doing?

Ding ding ding. Build for offensive buffs only since most parties will want that.

Oh wait why don't we also add the common complaint about 2 DCs. Hmmm will we then see an offensive buff DC and defensive buff DC party comp.

Is there tweaking that could be done to powers/stats/mounts/everything that keeps adding to power creep? Sure, maybe who knows. But think through the ramifications of the changes too and also about future proofing.

I'm not going to guess what the devs have in plan as far as future content but there is still a great divide between what good players can accomplish and average casual players. I've got a group of buddies and we can take off most of our gear and run content to add a challenge but I've pugged FBI and made it as far as the beginning of the hill. That's a display of how some people struggle with dungeons in game that some of us forget.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    You forgot the most broken one:

Every daily with a damage buff - Shepherd's Devotion.