test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

They need to add a new currency to trade for zen and I've got an idea for how they can do it.

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
edited May 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
Well what will fix the problem with backlog is doing this. Making the main currency separate from the currency used to make zen. Instead of using Astral diamonds used for zen instead they can add a new currency to trade for it. Electrum is one of the lore friendly currencies seen on the forgotten realms wiki I think they could in fact add these in as the main zen trade currency.

So they add these coins to queues and chests. Quest rewards. Electrum Coins could be used for other things like maybe special outfits or items usable and useful. They can remove the ardent coins and celestial coins and merge those stores together. Making the items bought there buyable from Electrum coins. They can do the same 8000 cap per character for these coins like sto and this system would in fact fix the problem. They would not have to put a account wide astral Diamond limit to 100,000 ad. This is a far better solution and I think players would like the idea. It would make farming for zen more meaningful too and make people more willing to buy it so they can exchange it.

They could even use existing currency like Gold Coins there is basically no use for them. Like people have said in zone chat. All the stuff people really need is buyable from Astal Diamonds. So this is also another solution. It does not matter how they do it but I really think it needs to be done.

Post edited by thevampinator on

Comments

• Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    No, it would only lead into the exact same situation we're allready in at some point.

The account wide AD limit is going to happen, no matter what we suggest or do, people are just going to use more accounts to get around it in the end. Instead of more character slots per account, it will be more accounts per player in the future.

The whole backlog "issue" is pretty much homemade, there were more then enough problems with charge ZEN promotion rewards in the past, they removed the option to earn some extra ZEN with Arc quests, the announcement of a new module also increases the demand for ZEN, and the next summer sale is probably not that far away either.

Also this is not about doing something about the backlog, many players are familiar with rising and falling backlogs for a really long time now, it's all about motivating more players to spend real money for ZEN, and that's it.
    I'm sure there are other options to encourage players to spend money for ZEN, but this is what they are going to do, and all we can do is either adapt or...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Not going to happen. Keep in mind that the Zen backlog is really not a "problem". A moderate backlog actually encourages people to spend money on Zen instead of waiting.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    adinosii said:

Not going to happen. Keep in mind that the Zen backlog is really not a "problem". A moderate backlog actually encourages people to spend money on Zen instead of waiting.

For those who have that option, yes. I don't, and the fact that the backlog doesn't seem to have moved a lot over the past several weeks is tempting me to create a second account for the third character I'd like to create.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    skalt112 said:

Yes. Because we REALLY need another currency type, we don't have nearly enough of them.

This wins all internet debates today about Neverwinter - bloody marvellous thank you
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    dalolorn said:

adinosii said:

For those who have that option, yes. I don't, and the fact that the backlog doesn't seem to have moved a lot over the past several weeks is tempting me to create a second account for the third character I'd like to create.
    Did you put in your buy order? If you did that several weeks ago, you got your Zen already.
    If the backlog number does not change, it means new buy = new sell.
    If the backlog number decreases, it means new buy < new sell.
    If the backlog number increases, it means new buy > new sell.
    In all situation except new sell = 0, you will get your Zen if you put in your buy order.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2018

dalolorn said:

adinosii said:

Did you put in your buy order? If you did that several weeks ago, you got your Zen already.
    In all situation except new sell = 0, you will get your Zen if you put in your buy order.
    No, I didn't get my Zen yet, and the backlog seems to have grown by at least a million Zen.

(That being said, I checked the logs before the server went down - apparently I've only had that order for a week. Could have sworn I've been playing longer than that...)
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    dalolorn said:

dalolorn said:

adinosii said:

No, I didn't get my Zen yet, and the backlog seems to have grown by at least a million Zen.

(That being said, I checked the logs before the server went down - apparently I've only had that order for a week. Could have sworn I've been playing longer than that...)
    When you post the order, you can use how large the backlog to estimate when you will get it. It takes about 1 million a day. If you saw 19 millions, you probably would get yours in around 19 days.
    The backlog size you see now does not matter. What you need to use is the number you saw when you posted yours.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    constantmule#4943 constantmule Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    oh god please no, i think we need less currencies for everything. seal of this, gold for that, a token for this...diamonds for that, zen for this...it is entirely 2 damn much
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Not to mention each and every campaign has its own currencies.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    greywynd said:

yeah its getting to be insane. you get bounties in every zone (which are as far as i could ever tell pointless junk) then we have literally just as far as one of my fresh 70 alts has already..49 currencies the number is probably closer to around 60 or so end game. THEN we also have a buncha sorts of keys some of which you can only get once a day, after way 2 much grind for a dang key...not to mention the time gate

honestly its part of the reason i quit progressing so much. i wana play a game, i dont wana sit here with a spreadsheet and an egg timer just to figure out where and what i need and how long the wait is.

as far as the ZEN goes. well ya cant blame them for making money, they could just make the game pay2play which i honestly don't know why people hate that idea so much. pay2play games were always more fun until they switch off to pay2win. so many games out there that were great until they went free2play ... :'(
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

greywynd said:

yeah its getting to be insane. you get bounties in every zone (which are as far as i could ever tell pointless junk) then we have literally just as far as one of my fresh 70 alts has already..49 currencies the number is probably closer to around 60 or so end game. THEN we also have a buncha sorts of keys some of which you can only get once a day, after way 2 much grind for a dang key...not to mention the time gate

honestly its part of the reason i quit progressing so much. i wana play a game, i dont wana sit here with a spreadsheet and an egg timer just to figure out where and what i need and how long the wait is.

as far as the ZEN goes. well ya cant blame them for making money, they could just make the game pay2play which i honestly don't know why people hate that idea so much. pay2play games were always more fun until they switch off to pay2win. so many games out there that were great until they went free2play ... :'(
    Most of the bounties are useless junk because they award gear that is not very good. However, at level 70, the bounty from IWD is actually very good. Surprisingly good for the cost, actually. I'm not saying you'd want to wear any of that gear. Instead, that gear is great for generating refinement points. The pouch the gear comes in costs almost nothing (5 bounties) and the gear is always level 70 - meaning you get 50 rp from each one. Sure, you have to identify it, but that's completely worthwhile in my opinion. It's one of the things that keeps me going to IWD, even though I've long since completed that campaign. The other thing is the ability to create the frozen treasures vouchers for my guild.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

greywynd said:

Most of the bounties are useless junk because they award gear that is not very good. However, at level 70, the bounty from IWD is actually very good. Surprisingly good for the cost, actually. I'm not saying you'd want to wear any of that gear. Instead, that gear is great for generating refinement points. The pouch the gear comes in costs almost nothing (5 bounties) and the gear is always level 70 - meaning you get 50 rp from each one. Sure, you have to identify it, but that's completely worthwhile in my opinion. It's one of the things that keeps me going to IWD, even though I've long since completed that campaign. The other thing is the ability to create the frozen treasures vouchers for my guild.

yeah i know, and i find it pretty much well kind of stupid.
    it makes absolutely zero sense to me, its not that they had ever planned it to be for refinement in the past, it was just useless junk until now. then they try to make it worth something and still well only a few things are worth doing other than the end game.
    50RP is still junk. we have far more different currencies than any one normal joe could ever wrap their head around if they have a job, a family, and a home to all take care of and even the ones that might be worth something, are worth very very little.

im not really sure what the people working on the game now can do to make any of it better honestly they are working off of the mistakes of the past. the game is already built and would have to be re-designed from the ground up to fix the issues we have now. thats not gonna happen, i wouldn't try to do it the whole time=money kind of thing yaknow.

the only way to fix all of this that i can see is to make the next few mods make 90% of the old content irrelevant, which in turn leads us back the problem that the only thing to do is the a couple of dungeons, a few guild quests and call it a night each time we play.......which is part of the problem now, sooooooo yeah im not sure what could be done.

• Options
    WHat they said above - the currency/seal/gold/diamonds/guild marks/zone bounty all needs massively simplifying - when I got to the campaign stage and the currencies I was so close to giving up as i hadnt got a clue wtf was happening half the time or what I was supposed to be doing.

Generally speaking Neverwinter is a massively overcomplicated game, aimed at spreadsheet users and statistics experts rather than gamers. I have been playign two years and I still dont understand quite a lot of the mechanics and numbers. :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2018

yeah i know, and i find it pretty much well kind of stupid.
    it makes absolutely zero sense to me, its not that they had ever planned it to be for refinement in the past, it was just useless junk until now. then they try to make it worth something and still well only a few things are worth doing other than the end game.
    50RP is still junk. we have far more different currencies than any one normal joe could ever wrap their head around if they have a job, a family, and a home to all take care of and even the ones that might be worth something, are worth very very little.

im not really sure what the people working on the game now can do to make any of it better honestly they are working off of the mistakes of the past. the game is already built and would have to be re-designed from the ground up to fix the issues we have now. thats not gonna happen, i wouldn't try to do it the whole time=money kind of thing yaknow.

the only way to fix all of this that i can see is to make the next few mods make 90% of the old content irrelevant, which in turn leads us back the problem that the only thing to do is the a couple of dungeons, a few guild quests and call it a night each time we play.......which is part of the problem now, sooooooo yeah im not sure what could be done.

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think they originally thought people would use the bounties to try to upgrade their gear a little faster as they're leveling. However, most of them take 40 bounty trophies to get a pouch of gear and that gear is usually garbage. They could make these more relevant by making the gear itself tend to be blue and a little more powerful than what you can find from enemies. Another thing that would help is reducing the cost by half, at least. When I first started playing the game, I usually could get one pouch from an area before I'd out-leveled that area and moved on.

As for the RP value of the L70 gear, relative to the RP value of everything else, it's actually quite valuable. L70 green gear was worth 50 RP before the change to the refining system last September and its value didn't change after the system was updated. Everything else went down in value by an order of magnitude. When you couple all of that with the fact that everything got cheaper to refine, the value of green gear is considerably higher than it used to be. I didn't used to pick up all the green gear before because it had such low value compared to refining costs and the value of the gems. After that update, I started grabbing every piece of gear that dropped. Green gear is particularly valuable for players whose characters cannot generate refinement items via Leadership. Even now that all 8 of my characters are churning out the refinement items via Leadership, I'm still grabbing green gear - in part because I have to check if it's some kind of a gem anyway and so I might as well pick it up since I'm standing on top of it.

Edited to add: On weekends and days off, if I'm grinding through the dailies quite hard, I can actually make 70k RP per day just from gear that drops (green and whatever blue I get) and the gems I get from Wanderer's Fortune. I'll burn through a bunch of identification scrolls (somewhere on the order of 200 or 300 per day), but it's worth it. Even on days I work, if I went hard at the dailies, I could generate 20k to 30k per day. I just don't have the stamina to do this often.
  • Options
    Edited to add: On weekends and days off, if I'm grinding through the dailies quite hard, I can actually make 70k RP per day just from gear that drops (green and whatever blue I get) and the gems I get from Wanderer's Fortune. I'll burn through a bunch of identification scrolls (somewhere on the order of 200 or 300 per day), but it's worth it. Even on days I work, if I went hard at the dailies, I could generate 20k to 30k per day. I just don't have the stamina to do this often.

But what do you do with all that RP?

I have 800,000 sitting in the bank but I cant stand burning 150k AD on 20 pres wards to have them all fail on a 10% chance. It hurts too much.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    Well, I was skeptical, when I read the proposed change, but I was convinced, when I did read the reason, why things have to change. He is waiting for FIVE days and he DID NOT GET HIS ZEN? This is outrageous! How dare they. He plays for five days and is not BIS and to add insult to injury, when he wants to trade a currency he gets for playing the game into another one ppl pay real cash for, he has to wait. You might think, well five days are not that long of a time, but it is all a question of perspective. Generations of mayflies die in 5 days. God created the world in 5 days, who is cryptic, to make him wait for more then 5 days.

BTW, a good way to make money of these instant gratification junkies is, to stockpile Zen and buy things from the zen market and sell them with a profit. It seems, that some ppl prefer a 50% markup to a 10-20 days waiting period.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

But what do you do with all that RP?

I have 800,000 sitting in the bank but I cant stand burning 150k AD on 20 pres wards to have them all fail on a 10% chance. It hurts too much.

Well, I've upgraded my warlock's artifacts to mythic and his artifact gear & weapons to legendary. For enchantments, I've got:
    1 r13 QM
    2 r12 QM
    3 r12 Dark
    7 r10 Black Ice (Offense)
    5 r8 Draconic (Defense)

And I have helped my wife get her warlock's Black Ice enchantments all to R11 and 3 QM enchantments to r12. Granted, I'm willing to buy Zen to spend on wards, which is how she and I have managed to upgrade all that. (Her artifacts and artifact gear & weapons are fully upgraded, too.)

I'm currently sitting on almost 700k RP and I have a bunch of QM bags and Leadership "bags" to open when the double refining stone event starts next week. I figured I'll be up around 1.5m RP at that point. I'll also be buying some Zen and, therefore, many wards.

To help use fewer wards, we tend to hop from zone to zone during the upgrade attempts. We'll try 3 to 5 times and then hop zones. It seems to help. Purely anecdotal "evidence" (it's barely able to be considered evidence, really), of course, but that's been our experience for whatever it's worth. I completely understand where you're coming from in the pain you feel burning through all those wards. It does hurt. Sometimes the repeated failures have put me off refining for a while. Of course, if you're having to use AD to buy Zen or AD to buy wards, it's going to hurt that much more. (That's my opinion, anyway. Knowing how much time and effort were required to generate that many AD prevents me from spending that currency in that way. I can countenance spending real world currency more than AD. heh)
  • Options
    ^ Yes I prefer spending small amounts of real life money over my [much more] valuable time - my artifacts are all mythic, I have BiS weapons and Shirt and Pants, its just the enchants that do my head in. Mostly rank 10s and 11s. Thanks for the advice on Zone hopping - i do tend to do my refining in an empty Cloak Tower or a low population instance. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I think the major flaw is the negativity that a losing streak generates is MUCH greater than the joy of hitting that 5% chance after three pres wards. I think that is the thing that really helps to kill off players once they get to abotu 14k iL
  • Options

^ Yes I prefer spending small amounts of real life money over my [much more] valuable time - my artifacts are all mythic, I have BiS weapons and Shirt and Pants, its just the enchants that do my head in. Mostly rank 10s and 11s. Thanks for the advice on Zone hopping - i do tend to do my refining in an empty Cloak Tower or a low population instance. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I think the major flaw is the negativity that a losing streak generates is MUCH greater than the joy of hitting that 5% chance after three pres wards. I think that is the thing that really helps to kill off players once they get to abotu 14k iL

I agree that the pain of failure is much, much greater and longer lasting than the joy of hitting that 5% chance in low single digit tries. That's just the nature of human evolution. We're wired to be greatly averse to loss. So I can understand why some players just give up on it after a time. The net benefit of the improvement is not well-defined in a person's mind, whereas the loss of the preservation ward (or coal ward) is very concrete.

One nice thing is that we get one free r14 enchantment from the Zen store when the Jubilee starts! Granted, it's only from a choice of four, which probably means one of Silvery, Radiant, Dark, or Azure. (The reverse alphabetical order was completely accidental.) However, I think I'll claim myself a r14 Dark on my paladin and speed his hulking tank butt up! (I have managed to get his movement bonus up over 3600 now. So, that's something.)

Another nice thing is that the daily rewards for the Jubilee have been replaced with a once-daily quest (repeatable a maximum of five times) that will award 10 preservation wards (among other worthwhile things) each time you complete it. I am beyond psyched for this Jubilee event! Thursday cannot get here soon enough !!!!!!
  • Options
    utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User

Making the main currency separate from the currency used to make zen.

AD doesn't "make" zen. There 2 people at each end of the trade. Some people with Zen are trading it for AD, so that they can buy stuff off AH or Wondrous Bazaar. What would a new currency like Electrum be used for other than to trade for zen? Why would someone sell Zen to buy Electrum?