test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion question

wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
edited November 2017 in The Wilds
Hi guys!

I wanted to ask about advice for 5th active companion. I currently use legendary archons (Fire, Earth, Wind) and epic Siege Master, Chicken.

I really like Chicken for speed boost after getting hit and overall survivability.

But!

Can you advice something else? I really don't feel like splashing 3 millions on Erynies of Belial and that's why I'm looking for some other options. In trapper loadout I use Paranoid Delusion for that 3% extra damage against rooted targets, but I mostly play combat and have no idea about 5th one. I was considering some raw stats like Hawk maybe (crit + armpen) or something else. Any ideas would be welcomed. Besides, I'm also curious what companions are you guys using.

On the other side I'm getting bored of Fire Archon as summoned companion and I'm considering getting some unusual companion like Hawk or maybe Phase Spider. What you guys think about them? Or maybe Lilliend? It procs pretty fast and has 3x ring slot, which seems awesome.

Comments

• captflint#2758 captflint Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    You can do the mini dungeon in Well of Dragons for a chance at Repentant Cultist. Boss will drop key to unlock the cage at the end.
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    @captflint#2758

Wow! Didn't even knew about this one existance!
  • captflint#2758 captflint Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    ive had it drop a few times.. I eat Dragon Turtles for breakfast :dizzy:
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

@captflint#2758

Wow! Didn't even knew about this one existance!

Be aware, this is one of those semi-Mythical Drops that are found in NWO. I have never had the key drop for this companion in the WoD lairs even though I have run all three several hundred times. Some fortunate people smiled upon by the RNG Gods have been much luckier and own more than one. So do not be surprised if you find yourself amongst the sad majority who never get to add the Repentant Cultist to their companion collection. But the lairs can be entertaining to run, so not a complete loss. I still remember the feeling of satisfaction I got from soloing the Cult Prison for the first time on my HR :-)

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If you want something useful and aren't concerned about full min maxing, Vicious Dire Wolf is a great pet. 3 offense slots, unfortunately no rings but no Offhand items either. Its abilities are nice in their own and combined with Aspect of the Pack, actually useful while soloing. If wolf had CA, it prones the target. Account wide unlock if you have Guardian pack.

Only downsides are that its interrupts and prones aren't good for Throne of the Dwaven Gods and also the AI has issues with the traps in one RD sewer vault and one of pirate patrols in Chult.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    Would Wild Hunt Rider be good?
    I guess it's an option. But can anyone tell me why Lilliend isn't a viable companion? 3x ring slot looks like a great buisness imho.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I guess it's an option. But can anyone tell me why Lilliend isn't a viable companion? 3x ring slot looks like a great buisness imho.

Doesn't Lilliend have 3x defense Slots?
    And does it proc Protector's Friendship/Camaraderie?

Besides, if you're looking at comp with 3x rings, then Con Artist is literally the same thing but better.

If you can't give up the Chicken, try running Air Archon as summoned. It does everything your Fire Archon does, but slightly better: irreplaceable on your companion lineup, 3x offense slots, melee companion, 2x rings (so swapping comps is easy) and a neck slot (a good 2x offense neck can be gotten out of IG).

edited November 2017
    rjc9000 said:

Doesn't Lilliend have 3x defense Slots?
    And does it proc Protector's Friendship/Camaraderie?

Besides, if you're looking at comp with 3x rings, then Con Artist is literally the same thing but better.

If you can't give up the Chicken, try running Air Archon as summoned. It does everything your Fire Archon does, but slightly better: irreplaceable on your companion lineup, 3x offense slots, melee companion, 2x rings (so swapping comps is easy) and a neck slot (a good 2x offense neck can be gotten out of IG).
    Lilliend has 3x offensive slot and 3x ring slot. It procs both Friendship and Camaraderie from what I know. I'm using it on my GF conqueror loadout. Con artist has 1x defense slot if I remember well.

Post edited by wizardlvl80#5963 on
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    10% debuff from Con is better than Lillend offense slot and active bonus.
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I say you should go with the companion that you feel most fits the character you are playing, its probably very hard for many to play other companions because of the "you have to play with these companions because of feature X, Y, Z" argument, but if you can put that to the side you have so much more wonderful choice to pick what you want.
    Here are some alternatives, that are still providing reasonable game features but are not considered BIS standard.
    Xuna - has 3 offense slots, applies Xuna's poison, and its Xuna!
    Laughing Skull - gives you 500 power and recovery at the start of combat, and the insults it hurls never get old.
    Vicious Dire Wolf - 3 offense slots, and if you are playing with encounters that have a lot of ticks, its interrupt feature (even on cc immune bosses) can save lives.
    Young Yeti - three offense slots and extra damage boost
    Netherese Arcanist - three offense slots and extra damage if you are behind target (this is also a good companion to for archer path because it procs from a very far distance).
    Honey Badger - three offense slots and useful to making one more survivable.

Honorable mention: Book Imp - ok this is pretty much the holy grail item in the game and its not the best active bonus, but if you want to make the 17k whales that have it all jealous, this is the companion for you.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Sellsword summoned, same archons, seigemaster. I don't think there is a better combo until one of these gets nerfed.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    I agree with @clericalist. While it is not a bad thing to track down the current BIS/meta summoned companion to use with your character, it is also worth thinking about how you get your enjoyment from playing the game. That consideration is why I recently put together a new Archery build for my HR. Pinging arrows at stuff from a distance is great fun and can be quite challenging when out soloing. My summoned companion of choice is a Shadow Demon. He doesn't hang back from attacking, so pulls plenty of agro away from me. Although he suffered some serious nerfing a while back, he still does a respectable amount of damage. This is boosted somewhat since I slotted a Boar which I have upgraded to Epic. +100% Crit Severity works wonders with his damage dealing :-)