test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to Ranger,i have few questions.

ximinett#0537 ximinett Member Posts: 20 Arc User
My idea is to focus on archery,and be the path of the Stormwarden. But my questions are: I have up Str and Dex,but i find difficult to kill mobs quick,maybe i need to up Dex and Wisdom???? Also my stats are a mix of Critical strike,Deflection and Power. I want feedback if i am upping my char right.

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Dex and wisdom. Dex for damage, wisdom for crit.

Hate to say it, but archery is the weakest of the 3 trees. You will always have problems with survival, aggro management, and damage. If you love the pew-pew, why not go trapper..? Which is a mix of pewpew and slashslash. Much better damage and survival with lifesteal.

Str is for arpen, something that is easier to get through enchants and gear.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • mistsenseimistsensei Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Hello ximinett. Like jonkoca said above you want to put points into DEX and WIS. Even thought I just came back to the game after a long absence (stoped at maze engine came back now) I 've played my fair share of Archery HR and Trapper so I might be able to give some info.

For starters focus on Power, Critical, HP and lifesteal (I don't know the state the lifesteal stat is atm but it was still decent back when I last played) and arm. pen which is relatively easy to get as you go; I also tried deflection but it never helped me much, HP and lifesteal were much better. Also keep in mind that Archery feat tree has the lower value per feat compared to the other two.

For dailies and dungeons. I hate to say it but yeah for Dailies Archery is not good compared to combat and trapper. My advice is to have a trapper or combat loadout for dailies and use Archery for the rest of the content that 's what I 'm also planning to do.

For dungeons my main Daily was Forest Ghost to escape tricky situations if I were to pull aggro etc. if I had no problem with aggro I used seismic shot. Also because you are Archery that doesn't mean you should neglect your melee abilities they should still see some use for example Fox's cunning. Playing Archery is harder compared to the other two because you 'll never play it on max range since you won't get party buffs that way and also you need a ranged companion to proc bondings. For dailies and solo content a Tank companion might help as well.

Not sure if these will help, it's been a long time since I last played and coming back now I 've only used trapper since my gear is outdated, when I have my Archery spec going I 'll be able to provide more info. Have fun.

P.S Archery PvP spec is great and a lot of fun with my full PvE Archery HR back then I was able to do relatively well in some random PvP I played from time to time.
  • mullymoomoo#7130 mullymoomoo Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    So is it best/easiest to go full archery for pvp and full trapper for pve?
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I'd say full combat for pve, though trapper is the same just dread is more expensive than vorpal - and if you want to do some real damage and don't mind getting killed a lot, full archer in PvP, if you have decent power/arpen/crit stats. If you don't meh, forget pvp tbh., combat in PvP is a punching bag, and trapper-stunbot in PvP is just massively irritating to other players.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Archery in PVP is strictly Gear Dependent. In PVP a Trapper or Combat build work well. Armor pen to 60% IST crit to better than 95% second then weapon enchants like Vorpal / combat or dread/ trapper work best.
  • thailadiathailadia Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    As all ppl mentioned, Dex and Wisdom is the one you need for Archery.

Focus first on Crit (100%) and ArmP (60% for normal content, 80% for normal Chult and 85% for Tong). Afterthat go for Power. Note: Get all posible Crit Ser from all boons.

You do not need Deflection. it does not help anything for archery.

If you play Archery, your At Will is the main source of your damage. Daily is not good, so no need to concern about AP.

Archery Encounter is good but lot of limitation i.e. Rain of Arrows, Split the Sky etc. So, just stack up to 4,000 should be more than enough. If you go for DPS/Buff or support built, then you need much more. For me, I play DPS built, my recovery is just 3,500.

You have to decide what playing distance/range would you like to play, shorter distance or farest distance? Then build up all the thing base on it i.e. feat, at will, encounter, companion etc.