test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning paladin looking for guidance

jcargile#7793 jcargile Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Hello, I am looking for a level 70 paladin build to solo with, both me and my internet connection aren't group friendly. I live in the philippines so my connection is spotty at best. I made a dwarven pally and started in build i think 5 or 6. I played for about a year and quit. I came back a couple of weeks ago and looked at the you tube videos it seemed the posters were more interested in showing off their purple/orange gear and making builds around that gear. All my gear is green with item level ~ 300. I tried to respec/change gear abilities like the videos and am having a real hard time with basic encounters.

Looking at the powers several of them (burning light, sacred weapon, cleansing touch, aura of radiance, restless avenger), state they deal damage/heal but dont list the base amount so it's difficult for me to want to use them. I keep trying different line ups but not getting the results i am looking for. Before I was able to get through an encounter rather quickly with some difficulty, now its taking a much longer period of time to deal with a 3 mob encounter.

I have noticed radiant strike seems to proc purifying fire more than the other at wills. The benefit from templars wrath and binding oath do not stack. Abilities like oath strike seem to affect players not in group. This was noticed during a heroic and got a bunch of messages saying stop using it.

Also what gear stats would i need to focus on. I now have a hodgepodge of item abilities and would like to try and get them the same. My companion is a basic leader companion that dies 30 seconds into every fight and i dont know if he is counted as an ally under some feats/powers.

I am not looking to pvp in this game so please no pvp builds

Thanks for any advice/assistance

Comments

• Options
    hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    The info/advice I’m offering is from remembering back to when I just hit 70. It’s not necessarily the best path to BiS, but I was kind of in the same boat you are and it was a very smooth progression for me.

This is also written from an “Oath of Protection” perspective. I found Devotion to be much less solo-friendly until I got into the upper iLevels.

All my gear is green with item level ~ 300. I tried to respec/change gear abilities like the videos and am having a real hard time with basic encounters.

If you’re in a guild – donate and buy Company gear. It’s still usable in the higher dungeons and is extremely affordable.

If you’re not in a guild, your first stop should be at the Auction House. You can find “cheap” blue gear there to get you started. Don’t spend a lot, because it’ll be replaced quickly – but it’s a stepping stone. At the same time, run the low level dungeons (Cloak Tower is easiest). The gear that drops there (and the final chest) is scaled to your actual level. You’ll also get AD (the first two times daily) and Seals of the Adventurer (which can be traded for more AD).

While you’re in the AH, look for rank 7 or 8 Enchantments for your gear:
    • Defense Slots = Radiant (Yellow) for HP
    • Utility Slots = Dark (Red) for Movement - or refine-stone-finders (like Dragon’s Hoard) when you find them
    • Offense slots will depend on how you want to play – Silvery is usually cheapest and will boost your recovery for better refresh times on your powers.

Looking at the powers… I have noticed radiant strike seems to proc purifying fire more than the other at wills. The benefit from templars wrath and binding oath do not stack. Abilities like oath strike seem to affect players not in group. This was noticed during a heroic and got a bunch of messages saying stop using it.

I wrote this guide up a while back… some of the info is outdated, and some is a bit “over-simplified” but it might help you get up to date on some of the changes since you left.
    Paladin Powers Guide

As for what to use…
    When soloing, I run with
    • Auras: Courage – Always. The second, I’ll switch between Radiance (big AoEs) and Solitude (low population maps + Augment companion). If your encounter refresh times feel too long, Aura of Wisdom is also a good (and popular) choice for the second.
    • Encounters: Circle of Power, Blinding Light, Templar’s Wrath for most
    • -Solo bosses and mini-bosses with a lot of HP I’ll switch to CoP, Sacred Weapon, and Vow of Enmity – high mobility mobs swap CoP out for Relentless Avenger (If you’re having trouble keeping HP up, trade SW for TW)
    • At-Wills: Shielding Strike (SS), Radiant Strike (RS)
    Charge in with Radiant Strike -> Lay down a CoP -> TW -> BL (full charge) -> refresh as you can. SS can absorb a lot of damage – but it can also reduce the power you gain from taking damage as well. I’ll usually use RS (AoE) until there’s only 2-3 mobs left, then SS them down. Use Dailies as you see fit – I personally don’t use them much when soloing.

Also what gear stats would i need to focus on. I now have a hodgepodge of item abilities and would like to try and get them the same.

Early on in L70 with low iLevel your focus should be mainly on HP. HP will boost your survivability, your power (Protection), and your Damage (AoC). Once you get to the 150k range start looking to fill in the gaps in your other stats – everything but power and HP have diminishing returns so if you can’t decide between to similar items, pick the one you’re lowest on. The biggest exception to that advice would be Regeneration – you can pretty much ignore this stat as a paladin.

As your iLevel gets higher and you run tougher dungeons, your gear will get better. Once you’re looking at 420+ iLevel pieces, there’s not a whole lot of options, and (IMO) I don’t think any combination of similar iLevel pieces is significantly better than any other.

My companion is a basic leader companion that dies 30 seconds into every fight and i dont know if he is counted as an ally under some feats/powers.

All companions that are not Augments (as labelled on their character sheet) are considered allies. Abilities that say they affect allies will affect companions – with a caveat: bonding stones have caused a ruckus; and the devs are playing with companion interactions with their owners – so at this time it’s a hit-and-miss as to whether the above rule it true for any specific power.

Now for “the build” - If you’re not having luck with any of the more popular builds, give it a try - but keep in mind it's not a min-max build; meaning you'll rarely be the best at anything... but you'll do well at about everything. I solo a lot… like almost exclusively… and have never wished I had a different build. This build also works well in a group - tanking and (with practice) healing - and can contribute just as well if there's already a GF tank and DC healer in the group.

Stats: I went Constitution (of course) and Wisdom: I think most will tell you Charisma, but I prefer the Wisdom bonuses.

Heroics Feats (top to bottom in each tier): There’s a couple tweaks I might make if I were to do it again, and I’m sure some people here would disagree with most of these… but it works well for me.
    • T1. 2-0-3
    • T2. 2-3-0
    • T3. 5-0-0
    • T4. 5-0-0
    Paragon Feats: I’m in Protection, and have full Light spec (top-bot-top-bot-bot-cap) with the leftovers in Bulwark (bot-bot-bot).

I run an augment companion summoned – mostly because I solo a lot, and the Solitude Aura adds way more damage than a non-bonded companion can.
    As for the other actives, one HUGE suggestion - look for Energon (+5% HP) as an unsummoned active – almost a “must-have” for paladin. But the AH is full of decent blue “starters” – look for ones with percent bonuses instead of a flat bonus as these will serve you longer – and the only reason you’re getting them is for their bonus.

Before buying a mount, make sure the insignia bonus is worth equipping… mount bonuses don’t add huge amounts of iLevel, but the right set can easily turn the tide of a battle.

Hope this helps out.
  • Options
    jcargile#7793 jcargile Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks alot for the information! Will give it a try!