test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Attack of the Perplexing Problem

adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
edited September 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
I, the intrepid hero, undertook my upteenth dungeon.

For the most part, it was business as usual, slaying hordes of goblins and looting treasure chests. My party carefully passed through narrow halways and cramped doors. Suddenly and without warning, my party was confronted by an enormous monster. It was then that I was attacked by the most nefarious of fiends: the Perplexing Problem.

With glee, it weighed heavily upon my mind and taunted me mercilessly by challenging everything I beheld.

"Answer me this, O puny adventerer!" the Perplexing Problem snarled with a toothy grin. "How did such a huge thing get there in the first place?"

"Behold! The hallways are narrow. The doors are tiny in comparison."

I was left befuddled and confused.

Did this poor and unfortunate monster drink some sort of magical potion of shrinkage only to have it wear off and trap it in this accursed dungeon?

Had the beast wandered in during its youth only to hit an adolescent-monster growth spurt and become stuck in the process?

Was it just an unwitting casualty of a wizard's twisted sense of humor? (Looking at you, Halaster Blackcloak)

Oh, the questions I have been left with!

Who will save me from the clutches of this Perplexing Problem?

In all seriousness, as a player and lover of this game, it would be nice to have an explanation as to how and why something so big is in such cramped quarters... if only to give the dungeon's story some sense of realism.
Post edited by adamantineangel on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    I'd first think a portal or teleportation magics would have been at work, as both are encountered in abundance in the Realms.
  • Options
    adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    That is true... but not as satisfying as an actual "story" explaining things - fleshing things out.

For example, think of when we read of the Balrog in J.R.R.Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. It was in Moria apparently sleeping until the Dwarves woke it up but there is no explanation why the former servant of Morgoth was there in the first place or how something so big got in. There was something missing that could have added so much more depth and richness to the story but what we are left with is: "It was a powerful bad guy who was "just" there".
  • Options
    eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    It likely just wandered in as a pup, finding ample food among the denizens of the dungeon. One day it realized it has grown so large it could never again leave, turning its once docile nature malevolent.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Nice. This reminds me of my first ever experience watching people play pen and paper D&D back in the 1970s at the dawn of D&D where the actual rule book wasnt finished. I kid you not, the Dungeon Master said aloud:

"You enter a 10 foot by 10 foot room and you see..." [DM rolls dice] "... a huge red dragon guarding a pile of gold!"
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    A roll for hit works everytime in THAT situation!
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    It got that big by eating adventurers!
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    I will consult with our Loremaster to see where the knowledge is kept that could perhaps assist with the Perplexing Problem.