test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Tracker

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Hello adventurers!

We are working on setting up a Dev Tracker on the forums. It is currently picking up the posts made by the forum admin/CM. We hope to have it fully working and capturing all Devs soon.

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I know this is the Vanilla developers' idea of how a dev tracker should look rather than anything Cryptic (etc.) came up with, but Holy Hannah it's intrusive.

And it automatically scrolls through dev posts if you leave the page open. And I don't see a setting to tell it not to do that.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer

I know this is the Vanilla developers' idea of how a dev tracker should look rather than anything Cryptic (etc.) came up with, but Holy Hannah it's intrusive.

And it automatically scrolls through dev posts if you leave the page open. And I don't see a setting to tell it not to do that.

It's hopefully a WIP. I want to see if Vanilla can get it fully functional but then take a community pulse on whether it's worth having if we can't change the interface/settings.
  • theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Thats great to hear, I look forward to it.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    It looks absolutely awful in Chrome, covering most of the screen.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Even if imperfect, i like it. Especially with some of the recent...erm..hot topics..., I really don't care about the 300th person screaming bloody murder, and am just interested to see the devs response/updates.
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    Would be better at the bottom of the page I think. Or if it was possible hide it.
    Another feature I'd like to see would be the ability to choose which devs we track, or even others.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Messed up the screen on my iPad. Stretches it waaaaay out until get into the sub forum just before the threads.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I like it already, it's handy, sometimes I am here just to quickly find the last post by CM
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    I'd prefer it didn't carousel around to the beginning, or if it has a control to show the total number of 'slides' and which one you're on that would be helpful.
  • tekathurraitekathurrai Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    What's the link for this?

What's the link for this?

There's not a link. It's an embedded scroll at the top of the forums unless you're viewing an individual forum.

Possibly invisible if you've disabled frames?

Neverwinter Census 2017

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like it's capturing other Devs' posts so I'll start putting together forum user feedback over the next few days to report back to Vanilla.
  • thunderlore2thunderlore2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29 Arc User
    Dev tracker yay! The dev tracker was a wonderful feature back in the old forums great to see its back, idk if its intended but the dev tracker is showing all the posts in a thread created by a dev? Shouldnt it just list the posts made by the devs themselves?

Also a great feature would be a drop down menu to select which posts to see, like choose a specifc dev, i know clicking the name itself directs you to a page that lists their posts but it could be a nice addition. Us stream stalkers know which devs work on what stuff(sometimes!)but not everyone is aware so might be an idea to specify which devs work on which projects sometimes in the future maybe. Gives a direction to feedback etc too.
  • bratleyraybratleyray Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Im going to assume this is something not available on the mobile version?

[The Legendary Outlaws] (Guildhall 20)

• icarlcicarlc Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Good concept, needs work on how it looks. I agree with others, we need to be given the ability to at least pause the mod or something of the sort.
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I would love the option to turn off the dev tracker. while it is something that is very necessary for the game the vanilla implementation of this dev tracker is atrocious, and it is only made worse by forcing the forums to be used through the www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter instead of the old http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/.

The difference between these 2 is that the arcgames.com/en/forum is the old forum.arcgames but rerouted to use the arcgames website with the forum.arcgames link embedded inside it. This literally makes it take about 4 times as long to load a page, AND it breaks the ability to permalink to individual posts. Now the page loading thing probably doesn't matter to all the fortunate people with high speed internet, but when I am measuring my page loading times with forum.arcgames in 3 seconds, but it is taking 10-12 seconds to open the same page with an arcgames.com link it gets to be pretty bad, and added to that the arcgames.com links end up using more data as well. Once i am inside the arcgames.com environment the loading times get much better but I really dislike the layout etc etc and I just plain like having my permalinks to comments to actually work

but honestly, cryptic doesn't really care that their forums are bad or they would have responded to feedback about how bad vanilla was back when it was implemented so this is just a rant from a very upset user
    Post edited by scathias on
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • usernamefatigueusernamefatigue Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    @nitocris83 While you're talking to Vanilla, there's a thing in the forums where if you link to a comment it takes you to the top of the page and not the comment.

example: https://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/comment/12986595/#Comment_12986595 <trying to link to terramak's 3rd post here and it just goes to the top of the page.
  • usernamefatigueusernamefatigue Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Also, I do like the dev tracker. Thanks for that!
    edited September 2017

@nitocris83 While you're talking to Vanilla, there's a thing in the forums where if you link to a comment it takes you to the top of the page and not the comment.

example: https://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/comment/12986595/#Comment_12986595

Relatedly, using the option that should take you to new posts in a thread, doesn't. It will take you to the appropriate page but you'll still have to find exactly where you left off.

And a recent forum behavioral change is that when you navigate to the next page of a thread, it will now bounce you to the bottom of that page, so you're forced to scroll all the way back to the top before you can continue reading.

(PS. This forum software is terrible. The social media-esque features can be kinda fun but don't remotely compensate for the lack of basic functionality that exists in established forum platforms.)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User

(PS. This forum software is terrible. The social media-esque features can be kinda fun but don't remotely compensate for the lack of basic functionality that exists in established forum platforms.)

Never understood why they scratched bulletin board..

The dev tracker is a nice try but totally useless for me due to it's layout:

- You don't see the devs post if he's quoting so you see the quote first (hey, my post is in the dev tracker!)
    - You don't see where this quote ends and the devs post starts

- There's only a date but no time when the post got posted (bean counting i know, but for me it's important)
    - There're only three visible posts at the same time

I'm sorry to say this but "The Page That Cannot Be Named" made this a lot better.
    r9jtqurw.jpg