test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temptation - Theorycrafting

pyrosorcererpyrosorcerer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
Before reading the list itself
In this post I will add some rework ideas to the Temptation tree that I think will improve the path, but not be too complicated to rework (compared to a complete overhaul of everything). In its current state (from a PvE perspective) it can heal very well in most situations, but lacks some utility that other healers can contribute with. I know there have been many posts about temptation, but I appreciate if you take your time reading this. I will try to keep it as short as possible.

Rework Ideas
  • First obvious change would be to clarify the role as a Healer, and make the SW count as a healer in the que system. Make the capstone overwrite the class role.

• With the Temptation capstone the Warlock's Curse should now also increase damage for allies. This should work for them, as for the warlock, as a buff and not a debuff on the enemy. Therefore not in the diminishing pool of the new debuff system for mod 12.

• Completely rework the feat "Darkness" as it has nothing to do with party utility at all. I suggest reworking it like this: "Darkness: You and your allies may only recieve a maximum of 80% of their hitpoints in a single hit." This rework helping with the lack of protection from one hits in the endgame. I do not believe it is overpowered as you would be dead if you recieved another hit afterwards. To further balance it there could be and internal cooldown takign effect after you take a hit that originally would be higher than 80% by for example 2-5 sec.

• A problem with the Temptation healing is that it is locked to combat. Outside of combat, or when enemies are immune, you can't heal and therefore don't function as a healer. An idea would be to for example add this to the capstone: "When you haven't dealt any damage for 2 seconds you emit a healing pulse that heals for 20% of your own hitpoints every 2 seconds." This is for healing up after fights, and for the situations such as lostmauth mid-fight in endboss.

• Personally I think "Aura of Despair" is a nice feat, but a little weak. If the values were changed to "2/4/6/8/10%" I think it would be better.

• I like the way Eldritch Momentum works, but in PvE it is weak due to the fact that you do not want to take damage. Increasing this to "2/4/6/8/10%" could make it better in party content, but in solo play and pvp you get hit enough that it probably won't be much of a differnce. Potentially maybe give stamina to allies as well?

• Lastly a fix including all paragon trees. The buff from "Pillar of Power" are party bound. Not sure if this was intended to balance it or a random outcome due to how it used to work, but as a buff that needs 10 feat points into another tree it would be nice if it would be for all allies. Comparing it with other buffs it still would be weaker than a high powered AA, Hallowed Ground or the CW Renegade capstone buff.
Conclusion
With some, not necessarily all, of these changes I believe the SW Temptation would truly be a worthy addition to the group. It would work as a healer and damage mitigator with some additional buffs.

Pros:Making SW Temptation a more viable option in the game as a heal/buff/utility will decrease the demand of healer classes. Many people like the playstyle and I think we would have more supporters in the game.

Cons:If you try to rework it, but makes it too powerful, it can become the new meta and push other heal/support out of the game. Therefore you need to do this thoroughly.

Last note
These are simply ideas that could potetntially help make Temptation more balanced. Temptation heals heavy, so not too many buffs. Too much mitigation would also be bad (bubble or AA immunity situation over). My intent is to improve the balance, not to make Temptation the new overpowered meta. A lot of people in the forums have inspired my ideas, so if you've contributed in discussions on SW you may consider yourself a source if desired. Feel free to come with your opinions, and hopefully after the 100th post we'll have some attention :)

Comments

• naoqueroforumnaoqueroforum Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    I like some of these. But of course, it's complicated.

Currently, given its party utility, I think templocks lie in an appropriate position damage wise compared to furylocks. Trying to not get into a discussion about why I think fury damage is not where it should be compared to other classes, some extra utilities to templock could be well placed.

Honestly, templocks when played right are as viable as the other paths. One of the biggest problems with it is the class itself. One example is the absolute reliance on owlbear cub for hellbringer. Also, some of the changes going on preview don't seem too promising for some of the locks power (mostly fury, and yet another TC proxy nerf), even though the story line seems to suggest a come back of the warlocks...

Your suggestion on darkness is really cool and I thought about something similar for another feat, but darkness would be ok. The problem is that although really cool, it could be way too overpowered, even if it was made to 99.9% max life cap of damage. The synergy with paladins for example would be extreme. It could be implemented at a not too OP level with cooldowns of 20/17/15/12/9s or something of the sort as you suggest, but I don't trust we would end up with the expected results. For extra party survivability I thought about the capstone making part of the overheals adding to temp life up to a certain % of max HP. Maybe a % of the lock max HP. Something more noticeable than compounded soul, and could stack with it.

As for the curse adding extra damage to allies, I'm not so fond of. Not totally against a damage buff though, so maybe having allies deal more damage while they have the capstone temp health from my other proposed change. I wouldn't go over 5% damage buff.

I will think more about the other proposals. Maybe it will also give time for other people to come up with other ideas.
  • pyrosorcererpyrosorcerer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
    Yeah, temp hp can be a cool way to go. And I agree that templocks played right are awesome! I love my templock build on live.

The idea behind curse would be that it could be a nice damage buff, especially for bosses, but limited to the three curses and therefore not too powerful in AoE. It could be reduced effect for party, lets say 10%, and it still would be nice.
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    We should merge https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1229488/temptation-warlock-ideas-for-rework/p1 and this thread in one...

You have ideas I have them too. :P
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================