test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will you play Cryptic's new game?

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
Cryptic announced they are working on a new game, but there are no details yet. See crypticstudios.com/in-development

They mentioned this game before - when they said there would not be a new class coming with Mod 12, they said that it was (at least partly) because some developers had been reassigned to work on the new game.

Now, Neverwinter is 4 years old and probably has some life left in it still but development is clearly slowing down - the question is, when they release their new game, (whatever it is about) will you play it ?
Hoping for improvements...
Post edited by adinosii on

Comments

• urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    adinosii said:

Cryptic announced they are working on a new game, but there are no details yet. See crypticstudios.com/in-development

They mentioned this game before - when they said there would not be a new class coming with Mod 12, they said that it was (and least partly) because some developers had been reassigned to work on the new game.

Now, Neverwinter is 4 years old and probably has some life left in it still but development is clearly slowing down - the question is, when they release their new game, (whatever it is about) will you play it ?

No lol. I'm looking forward to Keystone by Digital Extremes. I'd like to play a game that's developed by a studio that actually supports their games.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    If it's an MMO, no to the Nth power. I'm never doing this again.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • jordz10jordz10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    God no.
  • jadermaiajadermaia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29 Arc User
    No way, another ever grinding....?
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Depend on what it is?!
    edited June 2017

micky1p00 said:

No.
    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

4 years of random intermittent euphoria, fun, abuse, neglect, excitement and disappointment is enough for one lifetime.

I'll ride out this crack-cocaine-like addiction until the dealer stops selling it, but doubt I'll shoot-up their next drug.

I would agree with you both. Problem is, It's a "Magic, The Gathering MMO". Which means I'll just HAVE to sniff at it and be convinced it's a poor job before I can actually say no.
    Ugh. I heard rumors about that and assumed that it was just speculation.

Guess it's official though (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170607005374/en/Perfect-World-Entertainment-Cryptic-Studios-Announce-Magic/ )

After WotC announced Magic Digital Next I was hoping that they weren't going to dump their digital projects on second rate studios : \

About the only way I can see sticking with it is if they include storylines from older blocks like Tempest or Urza's block.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Ah, so it was formally announced today....I wasn't quite sure when that would happen - there were some leaks before and when I posted my question yesterday, there was nothing out officially, but yeah...this is the game I was asking about.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited June 2017
    The reaction on mtgsalvation is hilarious.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/777773-new-magic-mmorpg-by-cryptic

All these people talking about how MMOs are manipulative garbage and that the fact it's F2P means you'll have to drain your bank account. This on the forums for a game where drafting costs $15+ per event and competitive constructed decks cost $500-$1000+ for standard, $800-$2000+ for Modern, $2000+ for Legacy and your first born child for Vintage.

I mean I love Magic and all but the amount I've spent on magic dwarfs the amount I've spent on video games. Even the most exploitative MMOs I've played cap out at needing to ever spend more than a few hundred dollars for a few years of play. Magic on the other hand is just an inexhaustibly hungry beast in comparison.
    Post edited by urabask on
    I8r4ux9.jpg
    kreatyve said:

It will certainly be interesting to see how they monetize it. I suspect it will probably be free-to-play with a cash shop, much like the rest of Cryptic's MMOs.

I'm just wondering how they fit the idea of playing as a planeswalker into the game. I'm really hoping that they haven't tried to box things into similar combat systems to their other games. It would really break with MTG as a game for example if you can't summon creatures or if you're stuck with one companion a la Neverwinter.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • bertrandxbertrandx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    Oh cool! I played MTG long time ago, 4th/Ice Age and a bit of 5th edition. I stopped playing soon after Mirage came out, and I bought few years ago Duels of the Planewalkers on Steam cheap (around 2€) just to revive the feeling and learn a little about new abilies and combos. I will definitely try this game out if it's free to play!
    Bert - Lv70 pathfinder trapper. How's sunny california?
  • abelcoeurdacierabelcoeurdacier Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    No more perfect world game, and even never ever free to play game. This is the death of true game where all is about profit and nothing is for content.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    I've played MTG since Arabian Nights until Ice Age. Still have a number of old and new cards. I've played all the MTG games on console and will definitely check out an RPG/MMO MTG game, almost regardless of who makes it. I don't get hung up on Developing Companies, it's usually the Publishers that I tend to avoid for a time and I have no reason to avoid PWE Games for I find fun in all the ones I play, even if only on rare occasion: NW, STO, CO, and FW. Atari is the only publisher that I avoid at present.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    I will at least take a look at it.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
    zebular said:

I've played MTG since Arabian Nights until Ice Age. Still have a number of old and new cards. I've played all the MTG games on console and will definitely check out an RPG/MMO MTG game, almost regardless of who makes it. I don't get hung up on Developing Companies, it's usually the Publishers that I tend to avoid for a time and I have no reason to avoid PWE Games for I find fun in all the ones I play, even if only on rare occasion: NW, STO, CO, and FW. Atari is the only publisher that I avoid at present.

: \

I really don't see how anyone could actually want Cryptic of all studios to develop this. They're fine for the first year or so then they get lazy with content releases and stop fixing stuff that's broken.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • xinexixxinexix Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    @urabask

Exactly why NW will be my last cryptic game.

• araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunately no , i will not try any of the games with Cryptic as a developer.
    Neverwinter was enough for me.
    I will ride it out , with this game. Until it is done. But trying anything else made by Cryptic is a big no- no for me.
    I spent enough cash on this game to know exactly how they earn their money.
    Free to play , gated behind ridiculous prices for things needed to progress., or the amount of grind a person with an 8 hours job can not afford to grind, if you have 2 jobs, well , your credit card is your best friend. No thank you, very much.
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg