test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weird rubberbanding effect with my ranger

waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
Hi people,

as Im leveling my ranger I notice an unpleasant rubberbanding accompanying my dodges. The game server itself doesn't appear to be lagging on me when the dodge-lag happens. Ive noticed it in both pve and pvp when I shift and expect to be out of whatever was coming my way but end up taking a hit instead. Is this normal to HR gameplay? Any workarounds? Its like the dodge has built in lag lol

Comments

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Our dodge is still a bit short, I usually do a double shift on things like orcus's green balls etc. esp. If you're used to a cw dodge.

It might be that one shift just isn't getting you out of the red..?

In pvp I just constantly shift all over the place, there's so much HAMSTER flying around it's a waste of time trying to conserve stamina, just stack stamina regain through the roof and hold the button down lol.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    Feels kinda like activation delay. I'm familiar with those thanks to years of Sprint usage and later Sanctuary both of which had/have activation delay problems. The CW dodge has a nice immunity window that seems to last longer than the animation while the HR dodge seems to be the opposite.
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    With our dodge being so short, it's very susceptible to latency. The amount of times I've dodged something only to rubberband back into the hit are immeasurable. After a while, you do kind of get used to it, though. You get a certain 'feel' for when to dodge, even when the instance is laggy. If all else fails, just hold shift to dodge twice. I'm uncertain if other classes experience this as well, as I've only put my HR, OP and GF through Storm King's Thunder, but often I would only 'dodge' the initial hit and still get hit by the Everfrost damage, or vice versa.

If you're a Trapper running Steel Breeze, stamina management shouldn't be too much of an issue. If a baddy is taking a big swing at you - i.e. the Giants in Fangbreaker - liberal dodging is recommended, as that instance can be particulary nasty when it comes to latency.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    jaegernl said:

With our dodge being so short, it's very susceptible to latency. The amount of times I've dodged something only to rubberband back into the hit are immeasurable. After a while, you do kind of get used to it, though. You get a certain 'feel' for when to dodge, even when the instance is laggy. If all else fails, just hold shift to dodge twice. I'm uncertain if other classes experience this as well, as I've only put my HR, OP and GF through Storm King's Thunder, but often I would only 'dodge' the initial hit and still get hit by the Everfrost damage, or vice versa.

If you're a Trapper running Steel Breeze, stamina management shouldn't be too much of an issue. If a baddy is taking a big swing at you - i.e. the Giants in Fangbreaker - liberal dodging is recommended, as that instance can be particulary nasty when it comes to latency.

You're playing a protOp and a ranger, just like me :smile:
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Trick is you have to dodge before the actual attack happens, if you dodge during an attack there is a chance you will still get hit. Whether it is lag or whatever i dont know... Anyhoo just learn every enemies attack patterns (like games like Dark Souls) and you just learn the best times to throw in a dodge. Specced right you dont even need to dodge most of the time, just the 1 shotters and Prones etc.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe