test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DC Sigil vs Wheel PVE

caveckcaveck Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited January 2017 in The Thieves' Den
I've had this discussion with several TRs in game, so I figured I'd bring it to the forums (hopefully get some input from PC testers). I'm also aware that the lantern is another good choice, but this is for personal Dps. And as the title states- this is focused on pve.
I personally use the sigil so my opinion may be slightly biased but I'll try to keep it straight to the facts. I just see about 90% of pve TRs using the wheel.

Let's go over some pros of both artifacts as they are mythic.

Single target:

DC Sigil - Constant LA, combat advantage (& +5% damage if you use IA bonus on your offhand) everytime you use your daily, more stealth from LA so if you use shadowborn more 100% power bonus and more guaranteed crit, easier to keep SoD proc'd with more stealth, and depending on your insignia bonuses (I use the one that gives recovery + some other stuff when I use my daily). And the more you use your daily, the more you get the bonus from BAT.

Wheel of elements - +30% damage for 28 seconds, 60 second cooldown. So every 30 seconds you are granted 30% more damage for 30 seconds. This can be used on top of LA, IA bonus, BAT and whatever other bonuses you have.

But my question for wheel users is, do you wait to use your wheel when your daily is up? And do you wait for your daily until your wheel is up? Both of which you will lose damage with. If you wait on the wheel, you're missing out on BAT damage while your daily is full. And if you wait on your daily, you lose damage from.. Not using your wheel.

As for the sigil, I pop it as soon as it's ready, even if my AP bar is near full, because if you were to top off your ap with the sigil, immediately use your daily, then you still have time left to start refilling it which usually leads to an immediate LA right after the previous one is over.

Tell me why you use the wheel and why- I'm not saying it's bad, you may convince me, I'm just legitmately curious if the wheel is better than the sigil.

Comments

• blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    I am using both. Based on my own tests, Sigil performs better in longer fights(test time was 1 min) while Wheel is better in shorter ones(bosses dying under 30 secs). I don't like Wheel for few reasons tho, u can hit party members with other 3 wheel powers or they can do the same to you, also using it after the fight has started seems like not an option since i'm "glued" to target due to at-will animation and moving away to use Wheel seems like waste of time so i always activate it at start of the fight.
  • caveckcaveck Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    That's what I figured. The shorter fights would be much better because they generally only last the duration of your wheel, so you'd have the bonus the whole fight. Where as using the sigil (from my understanding) is more beneficial over a longer period. So for instance FBI boss fights the sigil would be a better option, and for anything under that the wheel. I'm on ps4 so I haven't gotten a chance to do the 10 man raid yet, so I don't have much input there

Edit: and yeah I don't like the fact that you have to stop attacking to not only cast, but to run to the fire, where the sigil you just cast and you get the bonus without interrupting your rotation as much
  • talon1970talon1970 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 152 Arc User
    Meanwhile a "normal" conversation in our Teamspeak server, running Fbi (Endboss), mSVA, with 3,4 or more wheel users including myself:
    "Ok i am going left" "Ok then i am going right" "Fine i willl stand in the middle"
    Fight starts:
    all Wheels were activatetd:
    "Oh no i missed Fire" "That was the wrong left....." me as Tr: "Super, i have Earth...LET ME TANK THIS!!!!1111ELEVEN"
    Dc: "EHEHEHEEHEHHE i have fire.... DAMAGE!!!!!"

Pure facepalm, in the backround you hear our CW smashing his head against his desk....

So as i mentioned in the "make rogues more useful...." thread i met two Tr with Dc Sigil as main artifact outdps'ing everyone in the party.

So when i am using my wheel?
    With more experience in an dungeon (timing thing), for trashmobs and at the beginning of an boss fight (T1/T2 including Cn, it is not worth to wait, bc bosses are to fast down.
    In FBi if i have an daily up and drufi is not in the port mode, mSVA really hard bc too many people are at he same place, so i have to go out and loosing dps, or i wasted fire bc i can't get it bc the Jarl is blocking me or someone is getting fire accidently before me.

So with an look in the future, the next artifact i am boosting will be the DC one.
  • raymond00713raymond00713 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    I do the opposite. I have both at mythic. I use the dc sigil when clearing mobs, and the wheel against bosses. Running through dungeons destroying mobs it just makes more sense to me to have whirl wind up as we move from group to group, plus it gives me stealth. The only time I find myself engaged in a fight for 30+ seconds is against bosses, so the wheel. I dunno, I'm 4.1k with all boons. I dont have much of an ap gain problem when fighting bosses.