test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to stop being silenced by groups of unsavoury players (Day 2 and banned again)

13»

Comments

• Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    grrouper said: if enough players are sick of listening to you and want to silence you then who's to blame

They are to blame. They should use ignore.

It is obvious that you and your kind are part of the problem, not the solution.

/ignore grrouper

Why is this not working? What is wrong with this forum?

:smile:
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    ph33rm3 said:

So I was advertising in the Winter Festival to make gift parties. I was using this advert:

Need more for next round of Undefined's NO SCAM alphabetical x10 gift party. Each person opens 10 per round then the next person goes. Multiple rounds. Ask around. 0 complaints. Many happy gifters.

Now all of a sudden, out of the blue I have a 24 hour chat ban. I cannot party for any content, cannot give or receive gifts. Cannot even send mail.

and now another user is using my EXACT SAME advert. Replacing my name with his.

This system NEEDS to be changed. It is too easy for a group of no-gooders to get together and have ANYONE chat banned for 24 hours. It is not fair and is ruining the game.

No sense buying starlight parcels if I can't even get a gift party.

***Update***

ph33rm3 said:

Well, here we go again. 2nd day and chat banned again. This time I specifically slowed down my postings to be sure not to offend anyone. Yet here I am, chat banned again.

I have sent a request to support to be unbanned. They will see when they review the chat logs, I WAS NOT spamming.

Because I cannot use chat, I am unable to queue or group up for ANY content. Making the game unplayable for me.

I believe (but have no evidence) that this is the work of several members of the guild MOD FURTHER EDITING GUILD NAME. As punishment for leaving the guild. If I am wrong. I apologize to MOD FURTHER EDITING GUILD NAME and it's entire roster. (The person that was copying my ad after my first ban is a member of this guild and after inviting another member of this guild to my gift party today, I am banned for the 2nd time)

This is clearly abuse of the chat system. I hope the logs are reviewed, and the offending accounts are punished.

Very angry right now.

***Edited out guild name as naming and shaming is not allowed***

ph33rm3 said:

I've been trying to think of a way to prevent this from happening other than to eliminate the report spam feature altogether.

The only thing I can come up with is a system message such as the following:

"user@handle has reported you for spamming"

Then give us an option of a 2-way ignore. So that I can right click their name and prevent that user from seeing what I type in the future.

It may not solve the problem, but at least it would not give malicious users anonymity and would prevent them from doing it to the same player repeatedly. They won't see my spam any more.

Well this is an old trick in PVP too, sadly many PVPers use this, they gather some of their loyal followers and spam CS with ban requests and well some succeeded, they have got rid of the concurrency, sadly it's like a medival age law system, the more you people can rally on your side, the more effective you are, even if this means using dirty tricks.

Yep it should be reworked into a system which follows the universal motto since the roman law system: Quisquis praesumitur bonus, donec probetur contrarium and as an addition In dubiis pro reo respondendum.

The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    zachcampbell85zachcampbell85 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    grrouper said:

@ZACHCAMPBELL85 Why did you not use all caps on for the last three posts you made? Yet if you know all caps on is annoying then why do it ? And last will the ban make you think twice before you go about typing all caps in zone chat again ? Really 24 hours is not so bad if you are intentionally trying to troll zone chat or spam in it. It is public domain and nobody should have to put up with it or if they are involved in a discussion only hear a % of it leaving you at questions. Then also there could be the one person you have on ignore is making false accusations about you or other types of trollish behavior towards you or others only to fall into there game by having them on ignore.

I want to acknowledge the fact that there are people out there who don't like seeing things written in caps lock.
    There are also people who don't like profanity.
    People also exist who don't enjoy it when they see others "troll" zone chat.
    Sexuality and aggressive behavior in public chat also bother some that happen to be exposed to it.

Any or all of these things may warrant an "ignore" this is true. But if any of these examples should be considered ban-worthy offenses, there should absolutely be a moderator involved in the process.

The power to ban a player from 90% of the game's content should not be in a player's hands.

I think the whole point of this thread is to shine light on the fact that the "ignore/report" function are too open to exploitation and abuse by the player base.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,115 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Malicious reporting should also carry consequences and be advertised on the report function.

At which point there is a burden of proof to show that it was done maliciously.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,115 Arc User
    ph33rm3 said:

People, including you can use ignore. There is no need to have someone banned. In fact, just before Zack got banned, a player clearly stated in chat to Zack, "Added to my ignore list and reported as spam" Clearly the user knew what he/she was doing. Once Zack was ignored, did he/she really need to report spam as well?

No, since reporting spam automatically places the account on your ignore list as well.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    grrouper said:

^^ Yet you could not answer even 1 of my questions . So now do i dare ask another ? How does a simple 24 hour chat ban stops you from 90% of the games content. I do understand the system can and is getting abused yet i do believe your actions and so many others that feel the need to troll should get more than just an ignore. Infact why should we have to "ignore" the fact that trolls can run rampant in chat.What really does ignore do to better overall public chat? To say it warrants an ignore is just so silly ( like that is punishment )the troll could care less if a person has them on ignore as long as they can continue to troll. The better option is not to ignore but to report the trolls as spam.

"Trolling" is a matter of OPINION too... most of what i see in PE ZONE Chat is moronic and childish... if I say anything GOOD about the game (or Devs) or try to tell people there is a better way to do things than just whine all the time and rage about things.. I get called a Troll.. or accused of Trolling.. so.. again... allowing the possibility of CHAT BAN to be initiated by the player base is REALLY a bad idea.

The ABYSMAL state of the Game Community and public chat channels (and guilds for that matter) is a product of the old system of "Laissez Faire" or Leave Well Enough Alone, that the Devs seem to have favored for years now. I trust that they are doing something different now... and hopefully this thread will give them some good ideas of what is actually going on, the problems with the Report Spam system, and the people (and attitudes) that cause those problems.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Even though this is a horrible predicament, I am closing this up now as the original post is continuing to be used to discuss the specific chat bans as well as name and shame, despite being repeatedly edited out by multiple Moderators. Neither of which is acceptable. While one may discuss a game feature, one may not discuss in game infractions and communications with Support, nor name and shame individuals or guilds.
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    [System Notify] You have been flagged as a spammer. A customer service representative has been notified. You may chat again in 24 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds.

[System Notify] Your guild has been renamed to sorry guys. chat banned again.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1226420/how-to-stop-being-silenced-by-groups-of-unsavoury-players-day-2-and-banned-again/p1

This is getting out of hand. THIS IS CLEARLY ABUSE OF THE CHAT SYSTEM.

Something needs to be done.

I got 13 minutes of playtime before receiving this, my 3rd ban in 3 days.

This time to ensure no misunderstanding I even used /lfg. I only posted a TOTAL of SIX times. FIVE times in /lfg and ONCE in /zone.

That's right. I only typed SIX times but got reported as a spammer.

Here I am. Chat banned for the third time in three days and unable to participate in any content for 72 hours. I have contacted support, but I don't expect them to be of any help. I'm still waiting for a response for yesterday's chat ban.

These people need to be punished.

I've been trying to think of a way to prevent this from happening other than to eliminate the report spam feature altogether.

The only thing I can come up with is a system message such as the following:

"user@handle has reported you for spamming"

Then give us an option of a 2-way ignore. So that I can right click their name and put them on ignore but also prevent that user from seeing what I type in the future.

It may not solve the problem, but at least it would not give malicious users anonymity and would prevent them from doing it to the same player repeatedly. They won't see my spam any more.

Could one of the moderators PLEASE contact someone in support and have this chat ban lifted?

Post edited by ph33rm3 on
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Seems like something I've gone through recently. Sadly, drawing more attention to the problem can cause more people to jump on the bandwagon of abuse. They think such things are funny. BUT, drawing attention to this problem is ESSENTIAL to get it fixed. Fight the good fight, Precious. :D But try to do so within the rules of the forum so the thread isn't shut down :D.

On a somewhat separate note... it does NOT matter if someone is Annoying (ignore them).... I think Report Spam should only be used to counter Gold/AD Spammers....

Chat banning people you just don't like should NOT be an option... at all.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    @ph33rm3 I have merged your new topic with this thread. Yes, the devs realize there is an issue. Yes, they are working a solution. However, these things do take time, especially with the holiday coming up. I'm sorry to say that there isn't likely going to be any solution implemented immediately. Hopefully they can get one as soon as possible, but ASAP isn't going to be today, unfortunately.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.