Install Arc

A plea to Cryptic. New Module -> Dungeons, Foundry, Balance

Comments

• lance1967lance1967 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    izwor said:

Aproved!

To sum it up:
    You make great progress in bug-fixing.
    You did great job in content design (visual), but it's diminished by performace issue and laggy instances with 65 players.

But...
    We want more dungeons, trails and skirmishes.
    Noone asked for more HE and mandatory and time consuming fishing games.
    We hate Veinblod, Empowering system, it's grind and farming.
    We do not have bag space for all this stuff. Refinement (artifact, thaumaturgic, regular stones - in 4 coulours, 3 bound options, enchantments&runes -12 levels, ) takes up way too much space! And now you introduce fishing with almost 100 items. It's nail in the coffin named bagspace. Give us a fish tank for all those baits & fishes and extra bag for refinement (as we have for professions).

You NAILED it about the amount of variations/bound variations of all this HAMSTER you have to collect to increase your IL!!! And not being able to swap out that initial bag for a larger bag size is just stupid. I have maxed out all my character's bag slots, my character's bank slots, AND my shared bank slots and I'm still running out of space for all this HAMSTER!

Oh, and don't get me started on the currency screen in your inventory. It's getting out of control with all the different types of currencies, seals, etc.

Cryptic is making the game more complicated than it has to be. No wonder there are balance issues in every aspect of the game! Have you guys not heard of the acronym "KISS" - Keep It Simple Stupid???? It really does work!
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited November 2016

This was a smaller update and not a module by any means; it was just the second part to M10, if you will. That being said, I personally like the concept of khyeks and sailing around, but I totally understand with the dungeon requests and class balance - I want those as well.

One small update for Cryptic, one huge grind fest for all of the players.

Fishing - Why. The. HAMSTER. Is. This. Even. In. This. Game!? I'm sorry for the anger here, but have you all gone mad? Last time I checked, this was Dungeons & Dragons. Where do you even come up with an idea that Fishing will be fun? Who hurt you all?

This. Plus. ! aBizzalionmillion!!!

If the fishing was part of a optional side quest, it would be quirky and for some ppl cool. But to insert it as a central and core component of the game is just HAMSTER.

There are so many cool things that the Devs could have done with Mod 10b. They could have had some minigames where you need to jump between platforms. Battles on boats that are sinking. Pirates etc. Instead they chose fishing . . . . . . The shell is nice, keep that - remove everything inside it and replace it with a dungeon, a few mini dungeons and a skirmish.

And while you're at it - how about adding a map to the Underdark area, so much potential there but it is just wasted.
    arabatur said:

It's not quite Mod 6, but it's damn close :(

Actually I liked Mod 6, especially the difficulty. Perhaps not the grind but at least the Mod had some areas to explore and some mini dungeons (if somewhat lame ones), these new areas have nothing but the shell. Its like the Mods are only half finished.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    This HAMSTER makes mod 6 look very reasonable. So sad that the most beautiful looking mod to date is also the most hated one to play.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Yup, we hear you. More dungeons and less Heroic Encounters. We'll gladly take that to heart.

And don't gate daily quests required to progress in a campaign gated behind introductory quest lines. If you want to do something like mod 8 with the dwarven king quest line where I do it once on one toon and I'm done, sure that's great and all. But two hours of fetch quests before you can even do a singly daily is HAMSTER. We already have enough stuff to do at the launch of this mod (and this is as someone that has already finished all the other campaigns) without having to spend two hours per character grinding out pointless quests.

I8r4ux9.jpg
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    the new big HEs arent popping
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Yup, we hear you. More dungeons and less Heroic Encounters. We'll gladly take that to heart.

Hi Strum, last I checked you are not a Cryptic developer correct? So what exactly are you hearing and what can you do about it? The reply you wrote should be coming from pandaman for example
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User

And ignore as usual?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Andy, I know you have the community's best interests at heart but really, as @emilemo said, it doesn't mean much if it doesn't come from a dev as all you can do is voice our concerns. But trying to communicate with the devs is like talking to a brick wall at this stage. We've been saying, nay screaming 'no more heroic encounters' since they introduced it, but hell they even changed CN into one long chain of HEs so I don't see them canning it or at least not pushing it as a main feature for group play. Dungeons and skirmishes and now trials are for group play - if you can make them understand that we are one step closer to this mess being fixed.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    @strumslinger

I hope that isnt the only thing you are taking away from this.

the Grind is not acceptable at this level, unless you have 1 toon only.

If this is the entire direction the game is going, you will lose more people, this game was one of the best to ALT up to strongholds, it became a bit of a burden then, but we made it through.

This new mod is 100% not going to work with us who want to play more then 1 toon, its not possible.

THEY could at least have account wide unlocks on FBI and the RAID so we dont have to regrind REALLY boring stuff if we dont choose to.

There are things you can do to lessen the immediate grind, like add more lanolins into the game and more vblood.

Please, do not think that just saying no more HES is going to cut it, WE of course are sick of them to death.. but that is not the entire point of this.

Many of us play MMOS to play with others.. this current format has ALMOST no dungeons running at all. Look at your metrics, the last two days on PC side, you will see around a 60-70% drop off at least.

No one in channels IS AT ALL running dungeons and its not just because of the new mod, its because they can make triple or more FISHING .

Fishing shouldnt even be involved into getting the weapons.. I just cant.. cant even start to explain to you how wrong this is in a mmo.

Whomever designed this clearly didnt listen to players.

But even beyond that.. clearly didnt have any clear direction at all on players with alts.. you are locking out a significant amount of your playerbase by doing content like this.

Its not ALL GLOOM and doom, we all appreciate the aesthetics of the new areas, they are actually very nice, its just the amount of time you think we should spend wondering around them that is the problem.. a couple hundred hours of solo work , isnt what we find fun .. at least a significant part of your playerbase.

Even the most best looking zones , cant compete with the apathy of the grind level.

• greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    People should be screaming to get this message heard. One community manager saying 'yup well take that to heart' means jack <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Make the devs come out of hiding and show how they plan to fix this game! How many more people do they need to lose before the devs get this?!

They're actually making the game LESS FUN the longer it's out. That's like the exact opposite of proper game designing... I just can't believe they're this inept. Developers are usually fairly intelligent people... Are they that beholden to some nameless suits, that they actually develop in opposition to the people that pay their checks?

Truly sad. :(
  • abspabsp Member Posts: 22 Arc User

That being said, I personally like the concept of khyeks and sailing around

its was fun for a few hr for most ppl I talk about it... but its just grind to grind RNG chance to get RNG resources. So you grind and grind again for that RNG... there is no light at the end of the tunnel, because its another RNG and HAMSTER. With Underdark you can see where you are going (Legendary Rings- ok, I just extremely unlucky, my fault) and when you'll be there...
    Game not even close to alt friendly anymore with all those BTC RNG loot and time required to get your RNG result and start again ... :(
    Hope they not only "hear" about "More dungeons and less Heroic Encounters", but also about other "No" as well and we see that in patch notes in this year...
    Thats the thing, this shouldve been some sort of event item. IT shouldnt be a principle core mechanic of a MMO..

• kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    +Dungeons. Screw fishing & HE's.
  • sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    Glad it's not just me. I logged in and tried to do some quests in the new zone and threw in the towel after about 30 minutes due to how boring it was.

I don't like fishing in real life. I don't like fishing in a game. Everyone complained about fishing in the last mod. Everyone complained about empowerment. So what is a Dev to do? Add even MORE empowerment and fishing.

Just can't take it anymore.
    yes.. see, this is the epitome of ignored feedback.

We dont like hes.. they give more.
    We dont like gate grinding.. they give more.
    We dont like silly waste of time things.. they give more.
    We dont like empowerment.. they give more.

What do we actualy like?

spending time with friends, running engaging combat in groups..

You cant defend HES as engaging combat, it takes no skill at all..

In stead of spending hours and hours coming up with the stuff we do not want.. make stuff we do want, put it out as actual content we need to buy, poeple can still get it FREE to PLAY by AD exchange.

But just stop the rest of the monetization nonsense.

Its just too much now.
  • nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It's weird type of content when you force people to repeat the same things over and over if they want to 'progress', except the progression itself seems to be fairly pointless as by the time you get to the 'rewards' you don't actually need/want them.

In other MMOs where you repeat end game content its all about overcoming challenges and learning to work together as a team. Here the 'challenge' seems to be overcoming the boredom of doing the same stuff over and over again. What the hell is that all about?

On the plus side, the art team did a great job
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

the Grind is not acceptable at this level, unless you have 1 toon only.

You know despite what you probably think, I don't actually disagree with you, except in this instance.
    It's not acceptable for 1 toon either.

Its not ALL GLOOM and doom, we all appreciate the aesthetics of the new areas, they are actually very nice, its just the amount of time you think we should spend wondering around them that is the problem.. a couple hundred hours of solo work , isnt what we find fun .. at least a significant part of your playerbase.

Even the most best looking zones , cant compete with the apathy of the grind level.

Can't agree more!

IMO, even if the new sea zone had a group activity, even some silly Kayak fights (PvP flagged zone, when everyone have the same HP and the same battering Ram or harpoon, no different stats, no class feats, nothing, only the Kayak HP)
    I would have being in the game now, instead of here.

But you mean dungeons and rewards, and this is as usual gated too, and I, as many others, no longer have the energy of doing months of dailies to unlock the content we actually semi want to play (the group part)
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    Unfortunately, the devs seem to suffer from a variety of selective deafness. By way of an example, in the Preview Section in the Official Feedback Thread: Sea of Moving Ice, @dextructoid said:

We would love to get your feedback on The Sea of Moving Ice. All feedback is welcome, but there are a few items we’d like to focus on:

How did the travel times feel with the starter khyek? With the upgraded khyek? (Note that if you have specific feedback on boat travel or fishing, there is a separate feedback thread for that.)'

and also:

'Was it fun?'

On that thread, several people have expressed the opinion that the traveling in the new boats is slow, really, really slow. In response to the 'Was it fun?' question, the response has been a resounding: NO !! So far, @dextructoid has not replied or addressed any of these responses. Not even to simply acknowledge that people aren't finding it fun and ask for thoughts on how that could be changed.

However, when another player started a thread in the General Discussion section in which they had started to map out the new fishing Hot Spots:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1223512/fishing-hole-locations

About halfway down the page, @asterdahl chimed in with the statement:

'We're super excited to see you all mapping out the fishing holes and exploring the zone!'

So, the large number of players bored to tears with the whole fishing and sailing experience get ignored but a few people (considered by @asterdahl to be 'all' the players .... perhaps >:) ) showing an interest in it gets them 'super excited'. Does anyone else see a slight discrepancy here ?
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Just take this hypothetical scenario:
    Fishing is OPTIONAL, you can get good materials to use or sell in the AH, and put those materials in dungeons and Raids (proportional to the difficulty), so you make happy everyone.

Daily tasks are OPTIONAL, you can get good materials to use or sell in the AH, even things for professions, faster campaign progression, usefull things.

WE WILL APPLAUD WITH OUR EARS.

Monetization? hell just monetize the time. Sell better kayaks, better fishing rods, bag space, sell CAMPAIGN AND BOON UNLOCKS FOR ALTS when you did on one character, You can have lots of ideas here.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
    Just take this hypothetical scenario:
    Fishing is OPTIONAL, you can get good materials to use or sell in the AH, and put those materials in dungeons and Raids (proportional to the difficulty), so you make happy everyone.
    Just buy them off the AH. No one would fish if they were in dungeons/raids.

Daily tasks are OPTIONAL, you can get good materials to use or sell in the AH, even things for professions, faster campaign progression, usefull things.
    Eh. Dailies shouldn't go away. They should just get you through the campaign faster when a campaign is old. The demon HE quests were bad design because while they reduced the grind they added more HAMSTER you have to do in that zone if you want to progress faster. They just need to increase campaign currency from dailies as campaigns get older.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    urabask said:

I know people who like to play solo, and progress playing solo, they dont do dungeons, and arent in guilds. Even people will fish sometimes if they want. The problem is that we are forced to fish if we want to progress our characters.
    urabask said:

Eh. Dailies shouldn't go away. They should just get you through the campaign faster when a campaign is old. The demon HE quests were bad design because while they reduced the grind they added more HAMSTER you have to do in that zone if you want to progress faster. They just need to increase campaign currency from dailies as campaigns get older.

Dailies should be 15 mins max. Thats the problem. And all the campaigns more alt friendly like Underdark. And you are well educated if you think each mod MUST HAVE dailies. There are other ways to keep people bussy. Better ways, starting to make people have FUN instead of have FRUSTRATION.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

urabask said:

I know people who like to play solo, and progress playing solo, they dont do dungeons, and arent in guilds. Even people will fish sometimes if they want. The problem is that we are forced to fish if we want to progress our characters.
    urabask said:

Dailies should be 15 mins max. Thats the problem. And all the campaigns more alt friendly like Underdark. And you are well educated if you think each mod MUST HAVE dailies. There are other ways to keep people bussy. Better ways, starting to make people have FUN instead of have FRUSTRATION.
    I think so too more or less.

I'm the last person who likes solo play, and yet I don't find fishing so offensive, some change of pace stabbing and stabbing is also nice.
    The problem is to much of anything forced and it becomes frustrating and boring. More freedom to choose, and more trade, will allow people to do what they like to progress.

Enjoying the game instead of buying the way to complete it faster is not a bad word. IMO, it should be the goal.
    I gave up on preview at mod 6.. when I asked about the DC changes and we never got one pass through.. not one, of all the broken material that it had.

I still to this day, cant figure out what our "new " powers do warding flare and gaes..

they were badly designed then and still are now.

So why should I give feedback or ask for communication, when historically they have ignored most of it and just rush everything out the door anyways.

Maybe someone should approach Donald Trump about buying Cryptic as PWE are doing their best to get rid of the contract. He's a savvy businessman after all. On second thought, maybe he'll be a bit busy for the next four years :D
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • balufunkebalufunke Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

Maybe someone should approach Donald Trump about buying Cryptic as PWE are doing their best to get rid of the contract. He's a savvy businessman after all. On second thought, maybe he'll be a bit busy for the next four years :D

I am sure Cryptic is making their business. But maybe Mike Mearls should show up and explain them again what Dungeons & Dragons is about.

urabask said:

urabask said:

See this shows that you don't understand why they create content like this. If they released a new dungeon and it didn't become popular off the bat it gets ignored. They release the most boring activity ever (fishing) and the entire relentless alliance is fishing while ignoring everything else. HAMSTER like dailies and fishing gets people to log in and stay logged on even if they don't like it because if they don't they fall behind.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • jadis#5067 jadis Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Totally agree with the op. We would like some real MMO meat. Long, difficult dungeons would be awesome. Coming from the old vanilla wow days, there are plenty out there like me who don't mind grind, but we want tough content to go with it as well!
    They've even brought that back now where you can do Kara as a hardcore 5-man raid. They have events every now and again where you can run the old dungeons, which are scaled up in difficulty. But when Cryptic bring back old dungeons they decide to make it for levelling, as if it was needed there... go figure.
    Our pain is self chosen.

@urabask

I simply will not do that garbage, regardless of what I guildmates choose, I have trolled around the new zone , but havent even finished one set of the quests yet, let alone a daily, spent 5 mins fishing and said scrwe that..

I will not do that junk.

I am however, looking at other games, I will continue to log in daily, get my key, save up as much as possible for double event, do the winter festival and then probably wait it out until new mod.

If poeple were still running stuff, I would stay in the game.. but as you said, ITS dead.. the entire game at the moment is about people fishing, and I dont see it dying down for weeks.

Why.. because they can troll around for hours making about ten times as much as a dungeon, but dungeon loot sux and there is nothing to sell to anyone, other then 1 super rare artifact basically.

It boggles my mind.. totally that poeple wear the armor to start with .. and then spend hours a week to refresh it.. Whatever, not really here to tell them to do it or not.. it just the most boring concept in the world to me.

I guess this game has passed me by, I will do the limited amount of stuff I said and look for other games.