test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Key Changes

Comments

• demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Wait wait... this is like your partner threatening to cheat on you.. it has not happened yet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    xeltey said:

There is a feature in the Neverwinter game whereby players can open a bonus chest at the end of certain dungeons through use of special items named:

• Legendary Dragon Key
    • Daily Dungeon Chest Key
    • Epic Dungeon Chest Key
    • Standard Dungeon Chest Key
    • Mystic Dragon Key
    • Arcane Dragon Key
    • Dragon Queen’s Key
    • Lesser Demonic Key
    • Greater Demonic Key
    • Malabog’s Castle Key
    • Valindra’s Tower Key
    • Kessell’s Retreat Key
    • Ancient Runic Key
    • Dark Fey Key
    • Thayan Chest Key
    • Thayan Lair Key
    Keys are currently acquired by purchasing them from the Zen Market, completing certain campaign tasks, or obtaining them from certain non-player characters. Each key can be used to open and claim the rewards from one chest.

In the Sea of Moving Ice update releasing on the live server on November 8th, there will be a change happening to how these keys work.

There is currently a bug on the live server whereby a player may view the rewards without using a key. This bug has been fixed. When this fix gets to the live server, opening a chest will consume the key, give the player the rewards, and display those rewards to the player. To ensure that keys are not accidentally used, the user interface in game will alert you to which key would be consumed and ask for confirmation before continuing.

Since this bug has been live for a long time and we believe that some players may have come to rely on this bug, we are providing advance notice of the change.

As part of this change we are also lowering the cost of the Zen store item “Legendary Dragon Key 5-Pack” from 300 Zen to 250 Zen.

We are pleased to address this bug because it resolves an inequity between the minority of players who knew about it and the majority who did not, and because the Neverwinter design team will be better able to design rewards for chests going forward now that the bug has been fixed.

- The Neverwinter Team
    that awkward moment when there are more dungeon keys than dungeons.......
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • midpoint#3070 midpoint Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    That really awkward moment when there's more dungeon keys than active players.
    That really awkward moment when this thread goes silent.... wait till all the people who don't read forums find out what's in store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I thought I'd wait to post until I read at least a couple of positive responses, but I'm seriously beginning to doubt that I will live that long.

I would have to ditto myself into the "insult to our intelligence" and "who are you trying to fool by calling it a bug" categories...

We're hearing one side of the story here.

The other side of the story is that the game is extremely grindy, and decent drops very rare. I'm kinda happy to do extra dungeons runs, with my purchased keys, if I'm not forced to consume the key for rubbish drops. I don't mind so much being able to have a look, and try again (and again, and again, and...).

This makes dungeons runs with purchased keys a losing long-term proposition.

If the this change comes into effect, and the drop rates stay as bad as they currently are, I see a lot of people spending a lot less time playing the game.

And fewer players spending a lot less money buying keys and benefits (VIP) that would award keys I would presume...

DD~
  • cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
    What can I say, I'm not surprised something bad was announced, they always schedule a double RP just before they wreck stuff, gotta get the cashflow built up a bit for when people rage and put their wallets away. This is a pretty creative screw up though, lol. My money woulda been on some sort of hit to earning RP.

I was really hopeful when I learned there was new leadership on Neverwinter at Cryptic. a Lead Dev that had apparently been involved in the creation of the original dungeons. I was excited because I thought there was absolutely no way that anyone could screw up the game as much as the idiots who had been running the show immediately following the mod 6 turnover. Well congratulations Crypic, you have once again proven that there is absolutely no limit to the imbecillic mistakes that can be made by a team of people who don't actually play their game or understand their customers. If there is a pool going in the coffee room for who can come up with ideas that will sink the game, give the prize to the idiot that came up with this one.
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User

Exactly. The root cause is NOT the peeking.

It's the fact that we HAD to peek because the loot SUCKED.

That's the bottom line. If 95% of the time people actually USED the key to TAKE the loot, this would be a non-issue.

Do the developer not see this? I'm literally exasperated to the point where it's getting tough to type.

The loot is so bad in the game that people are clearing content, opening up the reward chest and saying, "No thanks".

Can we let that sink in for a minute.

Sinking...

Sinking...

Sinking...

Do you get it now? Loot. An aspect that is so fundamental to Dungeons and Dragons. The entire point of there being Dungeons to delve and Dragons to kill is to take their loot.

And you guys have literally created some bizarro-world D&D where thousands and thousands and thousands of adventures are literally exercising their option to not take the loot because it's so bad.

The dragon dies.

The loot chest opens.

And the heroes politely decline.

i wish this post was on every page
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    vteasy said:

That's the bottom line. If 95% of the time people actually USED the key to TAKE the loot, this would be a non-issue.

Do the developer not see this? I'm literally exasperated to the point where it's getting tough to type.

The loot is so bad in the game that people are clearing content, opening up the reward chest and saying, "No thanks".

Sinking...

Sinking...

Sinking...

Do you get it now? Loot. An aspect that is so fundamental to Dungeons and Dragons. The entire point of there being Dungeons to delve and Dragons to kill is to take their loot.

And you guys have literally created some bizarro-world D&D where thousands and thousands and thousands of adventures are literally exercising their option to not take the loot because it's so bad.

The dragon dies.

The loot chest opens.

It's cause of the refinement system. We used to get cool gear outta the chests. Then we got peridots... to upgrade our gear 1%......

All the decent "rewards" in this game are locked behind a paywall. The cash shop. You can even buy power in the cash shop....... Zax backlog here we come!

There's nothing that needs to be said
    We can pretend
    We'll sandblast these walls and paint them again
    When everything comes to an end
    We can pretend
    We'll sandblast these walls and paint them again

Fox Stevenson - Sandblast

Pretty much PWE theme song. Just sandblast the walls and paint them again. Same wall, different paint.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • nauravakulkurinauravakulkuri Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Devs which does not listen to players/payers usually lose.
    This change need more details before it can be nailed to coffin and buried on to ground.

Just removing "Decline" option and decreasing keys zen price just sucks.
    Why players grind dungs without possibility to get good loot/reward, +1 rings and peridots isn't enough in exchange for one key.

Just little hint for devs; why diablo 3 players grind?
    -> because loots includes items which have random attributes on it...

• bronto111bronto111 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

Sinking...

[...]

The dragon dies.

The loot chest opens.

You ABSOLUTELY naild it Ironzerg. Thank you for saying what I was having a hard time expressing.
    Yes, this EXACTLY.

And, joining the chorus: Dungeon keys are VERY EXPENSIVE: take a KR key, for example. An hour of time doing 6 quests across 2 zones, then 20 hours of waiting, and it pops a single KR key. In the chest in KR, you most likely get a single item worth 2000AD and some garbage worth nothing. 2200 with VIP, 3300 if you've got spare Invoke Bonus left. For an hour of my play time farming up the materials to make the key, I get two things: 3K AD, and DISAPPOINTMENT.

Let's consider: how much AD I could earn in that hour if instead of farming Icewind Dale quests to get mats for a KR key, I ran two dungeons and two skirmishes each on two characters? About 40,000, right, with invoke bonus, not counting any loot from any chests at all? If you think that's unrealistically fast for 8 runs (its not), halve it, and I'm still making 20KAD. Hell, quarter it, and I'm still making WAY MORE spending my time running KR with NO KR key than I am getting KR keys!

Greater Demon Keys? Cost 300 Faezress and 20 hours. 300 Faezress is two gold Edemo runs (yeah, you need to run it AT LEAST TWICE to get enough material to make ONE key! And that key is required in CN, too!), and the chest contains, 95% of the time, that same 3K AD.

People are using the "Decline" button BUILT INTO THE INTERFACE and getting the decline action CODED INTO THE GAME DELIBERATELY to avoid spending expensive keys to get worthless junk. And it's not a bug. Don't call this "patching a bug" or "fixing an exploit", because there's no way a decline button and a "close window, return key, do not pick up loot" option is an UNINTENTIONAL ADDITION.

You're "concerned" that players are DOING THE THING YOU SPECIFICALLY MADE POSSIBLE because the loot in the chest is usually garbage and the keys required to open the chest are REALLY EXPENSIVE, TIMEWISE? I can see two major things to be concerned about, but blaming players for not spending massive amounts of time to pick up garbage is not one of them. It's the "massive amounts of time" and the "garbage", not the "players choosing" that's the problem.
    Yes i couldnt agree more however i would make a suggestion IF they go ahead with the change to dungeon chests THEN they should make it that the legendary dragon key can open ANY dungeon chest and not just some of them ,(nb does not currently work in VT etc).

THEN give everyone one free key per day,
    also you could add a free legendary dragon key to VIP daily reward as well then those with VIP get 2 free legendary dragon keys per day those without vip get one free per day.

OR do away with RNG for loot from dungeon chests,make it so if the chest can possibly contain one of 5 possible items then each time you run that dungeon and open the chest you will not get a duplicate,that way to get the ONE item you want out of the 5 possible you know you only have to run the dungeon successfully 5 times,then it would reset for you so you could potentially have to run it anouther 5 times to get a second duplicate of that ONE item.(or you might get lucky and get the item you want first time)
    Now it could be 10 possible items not 5 but the point is its a fixed maximum number of times you would have to run that dungeon to get the best reward ,
    It is because of RNG that some grind dungeons for months on end because they never get the one item that they want,for example i have never yet recieved a legendary ring...do i grind dungeons for them ? hell no,after a few dozen tries i gave up now i just run ocasionally for fun .

Will i buy keys to get a low chance of randomly getting a legendary ring ? Hell no,however if i knew there was a fixed maximum number of times before i get the one legendary ring say 10 then yes i would buy 10 keys,and if i want the same ring on pets etc then yes i would buy more keys .
    The truth is that in 3 years of playing and running dungeons and HE's i have NEVER yet recieved the item that everyone wants,(every artifact i had to buy on the AH),legendary rings and +4 rings never drop for me,artifacts never drop..and its not cause im not pulling my weight in dungeons or HE's my 4k iL GWF does more work than most that i team with.
    It is becuase RNG is bugged or simply never set up correctly in the first place. so do away with it or fix it
    but the majority of players WILL NOT buy hundreds of keys for an ultra low chance of maybe getting a legendary ring or other wanted reward!!!
  • drewhayesdrewhayes Member Posts: 101 Arc User

vteasy said:

Sinking...

Sinking...

Sinking...

The dragon dies.

The loot chest opens.

It's cause of the refinement system. We used to get cool gear outta the chests. Then we got peridots... to upgrade our gear 1%......

All the decent "rewards" in this game are locked behind a paywall. The cash shop. You can even buy power in the cash shop....... Zax backlog here we come!

too late. backlog is up to 4kk on PC 0,o

• samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Developers @mimicking#6533 @panderus to whomever else it etc..

I have played DDO and in that game, it not only allows the player to see the loot in the chest, but you have the option to reroll the loot. This move you have purposed, "in my opinion" is a step backwards not a step forward. You would have been further ahead, both financially and community friendly, to have placed a paid option for loot reroll instead of taking away from the player. This paid option allows the player to reroll the loot offered instead of running the dungeon over again. That is pretty simple in my opinion, makes the company some cash and keeps the players happy. Peekers have to rerun the dungeon and whales can spin the wheel of fortune!

Moderators @ironzerg79 @kreatyve @zebular @tripsofthrymr and the rest here on Gilligan's Isle...

I really do feel for you guys, as I expressed my true point of view back on page 14 I hope things will improve.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • midpoint#3070 midpoint Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    The backlog is due to ppl not playing.

Just give up already, let the boycott reign in these parasites ruining this game.

It's been 2 full days without an official response. Fk em where it hurts, don't buy anything, don't play anything. Just log for your keys if you think something might change.

I'm annoyed I bought 7 months VIP on ps4 amongst other things and have no desire to continue with the RNG daily fisting. Couldn't play last night, definitely won't again tonight.
  • drewhayesdrewhayes Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

dupeks said:

kreatyve said:

Merged your thread with the main one. I have also made contact with a dev (not someone in charge mind you, but one of the devs) to make sure they realize how bad this is. I am hoping they will say something by the end of today, but I'm not going to make promises.

Thanks @kreatyve I saw @asterdahl was active a little bit ago so hopefully he's also helping get the message to the right place (unless he's the dev you're referring to haha).

At this point, I believe that more important than getting some sort of fast response is getting a thoughtful one. Are they aware that they manner and timing of this communication was inexcusably poor? Or do they think that this is approach is just fine?

To be frank, it seems unfair to the volunteer mods that they behave this way. You get hit with a majority of angry and sometimes vile community outrage and are forced to defend decisions and a gameplan that you are not kept updated on. It seems like they deliberately blindside the community because they think you can pick up the pieces and soak up the hate. Is that characterization too dramatic?
    Oh, I made it very clear that the communication was very poor. Honestly, it's what has me most upset. The change itself is upsetting, but not nearly as bad, to me, as accusing the majority of the player base of exploiting - again!
    I just read the official post. They DID acknowledge it was a minority of players that was using the "bug."

• ravenkkinravenkkin Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    still waiting for any response from devs...
  • nauravakulkurinauravakulkuri Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    sameriker said:

Developers @mimicking#6533 @panderus to whomever else it etc..

I have played DDO and in that game, it not only allows the player to see the loot in the chest, but you have the option to reroll the loot. This move you have purposed, "in my opinion" is a step backwards not a step forward. You would have been further ahead, both financially and community friendly, to have placed a paid option for loot reroll instead of taking away from the player. This paid option allows the player to reroll the loot offered instead of running the dungeon over again. That is pretty simple in my opinion, makes the company some cash and keeps the players happy. Peekers have to rerun the dungeon and whales can spin the wheel of fortune!

Moderators @ironzerg79 @kreatyve @zebular @tripsofthrymr and the rest here on Gilligan's Isle...

I really do feel for you guys, as I expressed my true point of view back on page 14 I hope things will improve.

Really good idea!
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    No-ones gonna care when the change happens, we'll roll over like we always do and bottom line is the loot sucks anyways. Worst case more people will be farming CT and nToS for their ad, not because they're fun but because they know how long each dungeon will take and what they will walk away with afterwards.

The only thing this change is gonna kill is nDemo, folks will use their one key they made the previous day and do other stuff, like CT.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    mods, sorry to be blunt, but i do have gift of prophecy visions, just to let you be aware, it is not a threat, just cautiously forwarned.

if this cryptic plan to attend upcoming event of electonic convention in Vegas, they will feel lot of angers and maybe some hostile stares from players and former players who left for other games more fun factors, tread very lightly, otherwise, they may uninvite staffs from cryptic studio and would be told not to come back ever again unless you fix your errors of poor business tactic, get rid of these bloated greedy guys in suits.

about this chest options, it isnt the bug, former dev designer said that we can have options to accept or decline if the rewards are not desirable, and gave players to get 1 free key a day, since he knew it would be expensive.
    ADs were use for buying the keys as cashsink, now you, the current dev team decided to nerf everything except redo or lower the price since many dont get ADs, throwing 10% bonus at us instead of getting ADs invokings to get, and now that is insult, and i am seeing many players who might stopped invokings are going broke and refused buying the zen since they look those as cash-grabs, bait and switch tactics.

with fewer ADs, tradings will dropped, and economy became unbalanced. i dont know what up with these guys in suits, they are morons and greedy, i had business managament course when i was in college, i was passing psychology course, except i failed english class, wish i would attend deaf collage. i know lot of what is okay and what is not okay with business.
    what i have seen the direction this game. it is very bad.

if you go ahead nerf the keys, YOU BETTER FIX those chests that is full of junks and KILL THAT RNG for good and once for all!
    I'm over it already...
    Item level 4100+
    Nothing in the chests are for me anyways..
    I threw away 2000 keys.
    I Dont run any dungeon other than elol.
    I refuse to do fang breaker...
    I am still using golden dragon weapon ls and doing fine...

Kill the system and choke out your player base. You already got all the money you are ever getting from me. 6000.00 us
    Enjoy what's left of it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthbbqdarthbbq Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User

No-ones gonna care when the change happens, we'll roll over like we always do and bottom line is the loot sucks anyways. Worst case more people will be farming CT and nToS for their ad, not because they're fun but because they know how long each dungeon will take and what they will walk away with afterwards.

The only thing this change is gonna kill is nDemo, folks will use their one key they made the previous day and do other stuff, like CT.

+1
    Guild Leader- Fair Dinkum 2.0

• krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    xeltey said:

There is currently a bug on the live server whereby a player may view the rewards without using a key. This bug has been fixed.
    - The Neverwinter Team

Who declines something if it already cost you a key to open it?!? This was NEVER a bug, it was because the drop rate was so bad that you had to provide a mechanism to allow people that have purchased/created keys to say - not worth it, not using this key for this (rhymes with hit).

Are you seriously suggesting that you are going to keep the Accept or Decline option, even if declining will spend a key?!?

STUPID NONSENSE, and you know it.

Now that is out of the way, I am looking for the announcement that all keys will guarantee something worth using it for
    OK, I guess you are just waiting to see how bad the storm is - IT IS BAD, VERY, VERY BAD. Now reverse what you said, apologise for insulting us, or make that announcement (plus apology). Back to you.
    Post edited by krailov on

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    OK - now I am cartain. We are not playing a game. We are a part of social experiment.
    Its goal is to gather a data how much humiliation men can stand before he breaks.

Atm devs seems to HAMSTER on our heads. And to make it worse - they want us to belive its raining.

• madlemauditmadlemaudit Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Well well well. I'm done : as soon as this "bug" (HAHAHAHA) is "fixed" (re-HAHAHAHA) I hamstering QUIT. And I won't quit for another Cryptic hamstery game, FOR HAMSTERING SURE.

From now, until this deadline, I'm doing the " Zen-Strike". No more buyings, no more ZAX transactions ( Too dumb, I was thinking about take the VIP for this month ) as long as they keep this position !

I encourage everybody to do the same thing. ZEN-STRIKE ! Strikes are efficient when they impact MONEY, and I know what I'm talking about, I'M FRENCH you hamsters !

STRIKE ! STRIKE ! STRIKE !
  • elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I agree and understand this decision, because I always thought it was a little strange. However, how dare you call this an bug? and there should definitely be something done about the Underdark rings drop rates and the horribly bugged PoM to counter this loss.

The cancel button was definitely implemented with the intend to "cancel", what else would it be for... Someone had to design it and put it there, if all it is poor choice or bad communication if in the end it was not meant to happen the way it has done for all these years.

Imo, NW is probably not selling enough keys because people horde and stack them. Perhaps you should ask yourself why people do this? Which is probably the horrible drop rate and bugs in certain dungeons and raids. I certainly hope that NW will increase these drops rates and fix PoM to name one. Last time I checked PoM was still horribly bugged, the first phase skips if you get an gold reward etc, but I'm sure the bug report section has at least 20 posts on this from over the last year.

I think what we can learn from this is that NW rather removes a feature to make more money instead of addressing the real issues players cope with. I learned this a long time ago, they're a business. Welcome to the new comers, get used to it.

I still wonder to this day why lm set was needed but bonding is way worse and wai...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    You guys think they'll put the new weapons in a lockbox behind double or triple RNG?
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • ivandaleivandale Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    There is probably nothing I can say that has not already been said many times over, but I will give it a go even if it achieves nothing more the to increase the thread and get it off my chest.

This is yet another case of let’s take the fun out of the game and punishing the majority of their customers for the sake of a few who they perceive as exploiting the game.

If you spend hours grinding for the materials to make a key then 20hrs to forge the key you should have the option to choose not to use it when presented with dross! This is of course much worse if you actually put cash into the game and buy the keys.

Accept or Decline = Bug? do us a favour! in that case the game is riddled with them :-)

The number of dungeon runs I make is tied to how many key I have produced, forcing the key to be consumed first time will mean I will make a maximum one run only per day play assuming I can still be bothered to grind for the materials in the first place for a +1 +2 ring I can sell but nobody wants.

The whole point of the game and why people play is to have fun! and get rewarded for the for the not fun part of the game (hours of tedious grinding). Unfortunately the management seem to think that everybody who plays their! game is a botter and is trying to rip them off, or that’s the way we are treated.

I know this is radical but they should take it as a compliment that people feel the game is worth trying to exploit because the day they they don't it is DEAD!!! I do not condone botting or out of game purchases in any way, but the fact that it exists is the sign of a healthy want to play game, accepting they are a fact of life and managing botters is the way forward because eliminating them by definition will make the game not worth playing!

We all understand that the game creators requires a constant cash flow to keep it running but making it harder and harder for the loyal players to have fun and get rewarded for the time and effort will eventually kill the game.

They need to start thinking outside the box rather than coming to the same conclusion :- Bad botters nerf, nerf ,nerf.

Long Grinds + No Fun + No Reward = No Players!

Neverwinter NERF RIP!

This discussion has been closed.