test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What kind of a player are you?

samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
I play on many different MMOs, today I have a doctor's appointment so I decided I would jump on Neverwinter and get some stuff done. Oops! Maintenance until noon? :P Oh well I decided to come here and present you with a short list of different players who inhabit all online games of this nature. This is just a list of players I see in ALL games and not just Neverwinter.

"This game is dead." - No matter what the game may be or how long it has successfully ran online. This player is present to tell everyone to just go home because no one is playing it anymore. They will stand among the crowd shout into the heavens that the end is nigh and we need to all leave. Drink the kool-ade and call it a day.

"Dungeon Dashers" - This player runs the dungeons, missions, quests like his pants are on fire. Worse yet, he leaves you plenty of angry monsters in his wake. If you are too slow and the game allows him, he kick you out of the group. Also he jumps a lot because he believes it will increase his speed.

"Nothing to do or No content" - They stand around in chat exclaiming there is little to nothing to do. This game lacks serious content. When you invite them to go on a dungeon delve or raid, they make some lame excuse as why they can't or tell you they did it a hundred times.

"3D Chat Room Yakkers" - These people don't play, they stand about and treat the game as one would IMVU or Second Life. They discuss religion, politics, and ethics. I cannot stress this enough, if you have a worth while cause, why would you be hanging out in a video game trying to influence people? I would be out in the real world where it matters and try to make a difference. But these people will talk about anything in general, just nothing to do with the game.

"Everyone sucks at playing this game but me" - I have been here once or twice... ok a lot more. But yes this player believes he can play the game better, knows more statistical information than those who programmed the game. Sadly tho the player is probably pretty bad in their efforts but is blind to their predicament.

"I am so much more mature than you." - Once this player finds out they are older than you... just put your thumb in your mouth and sit in the corner. They are going to treat you like a 12 year old, even if you are 28.

"The Quitter or I quit" - ugh, how many times have we read this in both game chats and forums like this... "They changed the color of the Icy Sword of Haste, that is it! Game Over man! I quit!" or another annoying version of this is the player who begs you to help him with a dungeon and after wiping only one time, he leaves the party or rage quits.

"The older version was much better." - Epic sigh. Sure there are always going to be "nostalgia players" but please, if the game doesn't add new content, they will lose players. These people tend not to point out bugs caused by new content but just complain about the presence of new content.

"Egotist or Drama queen" - They are special people and worse yet they know it. The game revolves around them after all, it was made for them to be a star. This person has to be the most loved player by the game company, because they will drop lots of cash just to let others know they did. They treat the game as if it is their own personal property and remind all the rest of us how unimportant we are in their world.

"Elitist or Sob" - These players believe their DPS can beat your momma so hard you will feel it. In most games you will easily recognize them as the player standing in the best suit of armor the game has to offer usually dyed black. If they belong to a guild, it has to be the equivalent of a country club or lodge hall where only the best of the best reside. There is more than likely a sign at the door saying "No one under level 60 allowed.".

Ok there is my list of player stereotypes I have encountered. What kind of player are you? Do you see yourself on this list? Can you think of a type I missed?
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    @magenubbie Those players don't annoy me so much and I am pretty sure I belong to their cult. Let me look in my wallet...
    ah, nope my cult membership card is for the "Cult of Fun!" sorry. oh look free kool-ade weekend is coming up soon. I always miss those. :(
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    I don't see an entry for Snarky introverted solo gamer who enjoys mmo chaos and drama as a spectator sport. You really should add that one.
    You just did, but that is a mouth full ... The acronym SISGWEMCADSS is not only long but unpronounceable too.
    Good job!
  • ragnoir3ragnoir3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    "The OCD Nitpicker". Got far too invested in the fiasco with the vampire's hairstyle in WoD. Is concerned about the way Sgt. Knox sends them on a quest and always arrives at said field of battle before they do. Did a double take when first arriving at Lonely Wood only to discover that the tavern from Ten Towns is actually a franchise.

The "Why can't they stay dead!" player. Goes on and on about how they've killed monster X for the hundredth time. Eternally amazed that a new module would include new dailies to grind. Thinks it's hilarious that Elminster can just reverse time when Tiamat 'wins'.

"The Fishing Snob". Makes frequent reverences to literary classics like 'A river runs through it' or 'The old man and the sea'. Firmly believes that it's impossible to capture man's heroic struggle with this worthy foe in a digital environment. Shudders at the thought of how much more the game can degrade this noble pursuit by actually putting them to sea in an (no doubt) inappropriate wooden vessel.

I may have identified myself in the first and third type, the second just irritates me - suspend disbelief already, why don't you? :)
    Ah yes, the "Why can't they stay dead!" player. One of my regular guild members is a BIG one. One day this last summer Hiviticus told me, "Well I beat the game, I am officially done." I asked him how? It seems that Valindra is featured in the opening cut reel. Also she is the only boss that appears to antagonize you over some guy you barely knew or recall his name.. Waldo or something? Since my buddy Hiviticus killed Valindra, he said it is "Game Over". I told him she escaped back into that extra large phylactery of hers. He tells me, Hiviticus found it and dragged it all the way back to the Neverdeath Doomguides.

Which made me think of "Role-Players with Over Active Imaginations". Since I play a female wood elf, who is also a blind ranger, I might fall into this category. She aims on sense of smell and sound. ;)
  • lamashilamashi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    sameriker said:

"Dungeon Dashers" - This player runs the dungeons, missions, quests like his pants are on fire. Worse yet, he leaves you plenty of angry monsters in his wake. If you are too slow and the game allows him, he kick you out of the group. Also he jumps a lot because he believes it will increase his speed.

Eh, I ran into a couple of these the first - and so far only - time I tried a Dungeon. When the queue dropped me in, they were apparently all the way to the boss and were waiting for reinforcements, while I was doing my best to leg it to them from the front-hamstering-door. Guess if I got kicked out.

I've read a few threads on speed-running and yeah, I get what it's like from their point of view. But, you know, some of us play for fun? As in that our livelihood doesn't depend on it? Wouldn't it actually be less time-consuming for the them to form loose groups of people with whom to run Dungeons? ... Or, I assume, it's got bad enough (so to speak) that the majority of NW players are speed-runners. Though I can't imagine why you'd want to keep playing if you only do it to get AD and the next Best Armour/Dye/Mount ever. Status and adulation?
    sameriker said:

"3D Chat Room Yakkers" [...] I cannot stress this enough, if you have a worth while cause, why would you be hanging out in a video game trying to influence people? I would be out in the real world where it matters and try to make a difference.

Yeah but, see, the game is where the people are. ;) It's fun to chat about unrelated stuff sometimes, as another way to enjoy the social aspect of MMOs, instead of the incomprehensible letter soup or My Class Is The Best -posturing.
    Aspen Whitewood (LV40 TR) // Amos Fairfolk (LV21 HR)
    edited September 2016
    @lamashi I agree, I haven't been on to play the dungeons lately but it seems to be nothing but players grinding out AD to become a God like super. Once that occurs what it the challenge? I was on in the Dread Ring and headed over to Demonic Closure when I said in chat, "DC up on #7" some idiot replied, "I want slaughter, any SL?" I went to DC and it went up to gold and when DS came up right after, I didn't bother telling anyone. But it always goes overload. I can understand why DE is unpopular, the difficulty and distance. But DC is super easy and it has the same rewards. Some players are just being lazy and some stand around watching. Which brings up another player type "plz inv 2 heroic encounter (I just want to watch)"

As for the chatters, I don't mind them chatting but when you are passing through PE and see the same unique name over and over, day after day. You get the idea this person is just talking and not actually playing.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    How about the "I hate this game and everything it stands for but I'm going to continue to post on the forums anyway for no good reason"? Ugh. I don't understand those people. Once I decide I'm not going to play a game anymore, I don't keep going to post on their forums.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    @kreatyve LOL I think they are a parent group of "Egotist or Drama queen" and "The Quitter or I quit".
    edited October 2016
    Oh, there's also Spoiled Brat which I reckon is a branch of Egotist. They want results without putting in any effort, expect that everything will be handed to them on a silver platter (whether it's good gear, resources or changes to the the game they think should be made), and throw a tantrum when X / because X / if nobody X, at which point they are highly likely to turn into The Quitter.

Another one that comes to mind is the I Don't Know Hows, who are terminally incapable of using Google or checking the forums for an answer before flooding the chat with questions and/or posting a new topic re: whatever issue they're having.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I am guilty of a few of these. I jump a lot not because its faster though, but because it is fun. With that being said, I have never kicked anyone for being too slow.
  • drackonautdrackonaut Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    You forgot the Competitive PvPer.
    Always yelling at his teamates cause nothing is ever his fault. Constantly trash talking in chat and does nothing else in the game but pvp. Thinks PvErs are wussies.
  • undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    You forgot about the "mysterious solo player", who is someone who has played this game for at least a year and yet, nobody knows about their existence. Mostly because they're huge introverts... and I'm one of them.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
    *high-fives @undeadcrabb* I'm a fantastic example of the Insistently Tries to Solo Every MMORPG In Existence player.
  • undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    lamashi said:

*high-fives @undeadcrabb* I'm a fantastic example of the Insistently Tries to Solo Every MMORPG In Existence player.

That's probably why our kind was never mentioned - because no one knows about our existence. The funny thing is that I've been around Neverwinter since closed beta events. I've been pretty active around the forums at some point, but ingame - I don't get how this thing called "socializing" works. :D
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Umh man yer player types' handbook feels sooooo GUD, I'm "the quitter i guit" definitely. Newer upgrades are destroying the game, they... THEY'VE ADDED OATHBOUND PALADIN IN MOD 6. Basically.. MOD 6- I quit! But really, I'm rather "I'm playing the most underestimated class, notice my job" player. I picked GF, that explains everything. Just.. just notice my hard job I do after mod 6+ ^^
  • ragnoir3ragnoir3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    The "Ignore List Quitter" doesn't actually exist since the feature is unavailable. As @kreatyve pointed out they are the ones who threatened to quit, debated how to distribute their gear, discussed other games to play and have now found their creative outlet by trolling every forum post with their sage opinion of how appalling the game devs are and encouraging all and sundry not to play the game as they are apparently (not) doing.

*slight dig at mods* The Ignore List Quitter is getting away with his nefarious actions by a new enlightened approach from the mods who are presumably furthering their own well meaning agendas by allowing The Ignore List Quitter to pad the posts where they themselves give great advice to the devs on how to improve the game. :)
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Here more categories fun:

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/18-types-of-internet-trolls

IMO, we should have forum badges for those. I can win at least a couple. ;)
  • sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    How about the I must be the best no matter what I'm doing even if this means letting the games mechanics exploit me!

Seen a few of those, where they are so set on being the best that they essentially lose money, effort and time rushing towards that goal and then complains about what they've lost getting there only for the goal post to be moved with the release of new content? :P
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User

lamashi said:

That's probably why our kind was never mentioned - because no one knows about our existence. The funny thing is that I've been around Neverwinter since closed beta events. I've been pretty active around the forums at some point, but ingame - I don't get how this thing called "socializing" works. :D
    And the counterpart to the Solo Player: the Why Are You Playing This Game Then? player, who believes that their type of play is the only play for an MMO. They're super fond of saying things like "join a guild", "no one should be playing an mmo if they're not going to group", "I always ...insert whatever play type they believe you should be doing... and if you're not doing it that way, you shouldn't be playing the game", "if you don't like the raid-dungeon-heroics aspect of the game, then the game's not for you"
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I run a guild that caters to introverts who just want to quietly do whatever without anyone buggin' them. Just sayin'.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia