test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Constitution

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
edited September 2016 in The Guard Barracks
I was running some content this weekend and ran into another GF. This character had a much higher DR than I did. I have better gear and not sure about the boons but looking at just the gear I thought my DR would be higher, but nope. This player DR was about 10% higher than mine was.

Now I have 22 Con and the other player had 27 Con. I tried looking up if Con impacts a GF DR and I could not find anything on the web about this. Does Con impact a GF DR?

If not, how can I get my DR higher? I am wearing 3 pieces of dusk and 1 drowcraft piece for my armor. My weapon is the drowned set and it is currently rare, working on moving it up to epic. My current pants and shirt are also drowcraft ATM. My enchantments are all silvery with the exception of my rings which are cruel (plan to move all enchantments to cruel to get a boost to both Deflection and Defense).

Please help me as I am closing in at 2400 IL and really would like to get my DR higher.

One thing I have been farming for on my main, he seems luckier to get this piece, is the Ring of Rising Defense. I already have the ring of rising deflection, just want to get the 142 ring of rising defense for my other ring slot.

Comments

• craoluscraolus Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    His companion might have been contributing defense for the higher DR.
  • abmaiden95abmaiden95 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Stacking deflection is useless if you don't reach the 80% dr, change all your def slot into azures.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    I might be in the minority, but if you have a good armor enchantment like negation, 80% is overkill. For where you're at, try and get around 50-60% and and once in battle your numbers will increase per hit. Also if you have a bonding or 2 in a companion, your defense will proc also. As I've lvled to 3.4k, I've slowly swapped out my azures for black ice enchants, and the potential 460 def, 230 deflect, 230 lifesteal, instead of just 700 defense. I guess it depends if you want to grow into the total, or get there immediately and end up spending again later to swap out after you cruise past the cap. Also like the cruel enchants for the possible 420 defense/deflect, but am leaning more towards selling them and going black ice in all defense slots, or maybe a few draconic for HP.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    craolus said:

His companion might have been contributing defense for the higher DR.

Does the guild offer a defensive boon? If so, what is the boon at for a level 70 character?
    Each lvl of the stable gives 800 defense, I don't think it scales if you're under lvl 70. You can't build the first boon until the guild is lvl 5. At lvl 6, the stable can be upgraded to lvl 3 and give 2400 defense and 1000 armor pen.
    stark760 said:

Each lvl of the stable gives 800 defense, I don't think it scales if you're under lvl 70. You can't build the first boon until the guild is lvl 5. At lvl 6, the stable can be upgraded to lvl 3 and give 2400 defense and 1000 armor pen.

Maybe that was why the player had a higher DR than I did. If you had just what you describe along with level 7 Azure, there DR would be about 10% higher than mine.

I upgraded my companion gear and mods, this improved by DR by 2%. I am now working on getting all cruels and refining those up to rank 9 for some additional gains to defense and deflection. When I get to rank 10's enchantments. I will be updating 2 cruels to 10's and the rest to Azure rank 8+.

I know getting my character enchantments up will be a slow process as I first want to work on my main and get him all rank 10 silvery in offensive and defensive slots along with Rank 9 dark, and Fey enchants in my utility slots.

• d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Mount bonus?
    edited September 2016
    If Con does not raise DR than how can I hit the 80% DR mark.

My current gear is Dusk Armor, Boots, Head and Drowcraft hands. My pants and shirt are both drowcraft.

All defense enchantments are Azure rank 8.

Weapons are drowned set at rare quality and working them up to epic currently.

Neck is the 135 one you get from hitting level 70. Saving AD for Seldanie neck.

Waist is the rare Seldani and will update this to epic after weapons.

Rings are Fortress +4 and Rising Deflection +4.

Artifacts: Heart of the Red Dragon - Epic Rank 96, Sigil of the Devoted - Rare Rank 46, Water - Rare rank 46

Boons - completed the first two in the EE campaign.

Current DR is 34%.

Things I plan to change to improve my DR.

Mount power currently provides me 2K power; plan to buy epic mount that has 2K defense.

Ring of Fortress - farming for Ring of Rising Defense +4.

Boons - I have only completed 2 of the EE campaign and working on finishing that up and than I will work on the other campaign boons.

Artifacts - Plan to get these up to Legendary and get Sigil of the Guardian

Artifact gear - plan to get these up to EPIC

I estimated even with all of these changes my DR would not surpass 50%.

My question is, does the 80% comes from encounters or are players at 80% flat stat?

• shontsushontsu Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'm suffering the same thing. I'm working my butt off to raise my DR and it's barely inching up.
    I'm somewhere around 52% atm (2900 IL). I just went through getting an augment companion (Watler), personalised ring and necklace (or belt, whichever it is) with rank 8 Silvers, rank 9...whatever runestone it is that gives defence, only added around 2% to my DR, so disappointed. I have slightly better gear, including the +defence armor patches, but still so far off 80%. Obviously the guild boons will be huge, and I guess the rest comes from mythic artifacts and high rank enchants, but they're a long way and much AD away.

I too wonder, what base (just standing around) DR do folks have? I dunno, keep wondering if I'm missing something, or if thats just how it is on PS4 while everythings so expensive. Gotta toss up between levelling up tank companion with high bonding stones, or putting all my AD into refinement for upcoming double RP instead for now.

Guild is about to hit rank 5, so hopefully stables will help a fair bit.
    Post edited by shontsu on
    shontsu said:

I'm suffering the same thing. I'm working my butt off to raise my DR and it's barely inching up.
    I'm somewhere around 52% atm (2900 IL). I just went through getting an augment companion (Watler), personalised ring and necklace (or belt, whichever it is) with rank 8 Silvers, rank 9...whatever runestone it is that gives defence, only added around 2% to my DR, so disappointed. I have slightly better gear, including the +defence armor patches, but still so far off 80%. Obviously the guild boons will be huge, and I guess the rest comes from mythic artifacts and high rank enchants, but they're a long way and much AD away.

I too wonder, what base (just standing around) DR do folks have? I dunno, keep wondering if I'm missing something, or if thats just how it is on PS4 while everythings so expensive. Gotta toss up between levelling up tank companion with high bonding stones, or putting all my AD into refinement for upcoming double RP instead for now.

Guild is about to hit rank 5, so hopefully stables will help a fair bit.

Eliza Littleknight
    IL: 2489
    Gear: Dusk Ward Helm, Dusk Raid Breastplate, Drowcraft Gaunlets, Dusk Ward Sabatons
    Weapons: Drowned Long Sword Rank 20 and Drowned Shield Rank 15
    Neck: Cloak of the Emissary
    Belt: Greater Belt of Seldarine
    Rings: Ring of Rising Deflection +4 and Ring of Fortress +4
    Pants: Drowcraft
    Shirt: Drowcraft
    Artifacts: Rank 60 Sigil of Devoted, Rank 60 Waters of Elah'zad, Rank 60 Heart of the Red Dragon
    Defensive Enchantments: 2 Cruel Rank 8, 3 Azures Rank 8
    Offensive Enchantments: 4 Draconic Rank 8 and 1 Cruel Rank 8

Completed Boons: Unassailable Tide and Heart of Stone

Standing still in the Enclave with missing 1 artifact and only 2 boons completed my base damage resistance is 31.8%. This does not include any bonus from my augment companion.

Making Watler my active companion my damage resistance goes from 31.8% to 35.4%.

If I completed all campaigns I would get another 3% increase in my damage resistance. That would put me at 38.4%. Getting a mount with 2K defense would push that 38.4% up to 43.4%.

Getting my missing artifact up to rank 60 will push that 43.4% up to about 44%.

If I get all my artifacts and artifact gear I plan to get up to max rank I would get around 12-13% increase, this would push my damage resistance up to 56%.

If I go full Azure rank 12s in all my defense slots, I currently have 5 but if the belt I want get to legendary I would have 6 slot and this would get me an additional 8% give or take.

So after maxing out all my gear without any guild boons my max damage resistance would be around 65%. The only way to achieve 80% base DR is with guild boons and with Dragonflight gear or the Adamant Ward 145 gear from being in a guild with the max profession rank.

Given this, where should a player be at or around who does not have the guild boons for DR who is around IL 2500?

Please help me as i want to ensure I can tank well enough in epic dungeons.
    Mines around 55% just standing, and then around 60% when my bondings proc, and I let armor enchant do the rest. In battle, it fluctuates between 70-82% that I've seen. The defense and most stats are 400 points for 1%, so every lvl of stable will give you 2%. But I have my deflect around 41%, because I refuse to use the single stat enchants and stack azure. Black Ice enchants give a total of 920 points at lvl 12 instead of 700 for an azure. The Cruels and other 2 way splits are nice, but give 840 total at rank 12. The benefit is my life steal is around 15.5% chance and severity of 113%. Until last patch, Black ice and other 3 way splits would not show up on companions stats, so I used 6 cruels. Now that they fixed it, ill probably sell all of them and go straight Black Ice. My deflect will drop a few %, but my defense will by higher(460 max at 12 instead of 420 on cruel), and my life steal will be much higher, and I hardly ever even hit a potion already. On the 13 total off/def slots on my character, that's an extra 2860 in stats between power/crit/recov and def/deflect/life steal. On my companion, the 6 slots will be an extra 1320, before the bondings proc, which x 285% will be 3762 extra stats. So altogether you'll get an extra 6622 in stats.
    edited September 2016
    stark760 said:

Mines around 55% just standing, and then around 60% when my bondings proc, and I let armor enchant do the rest. In battle, it fluctuates between 70-82% that I've seen. The defense and most stats are 400 points for 1%, so every lvl of stable will give you 2%. But I have my deflect around 41%, because I refuse to use the single stat enchants and stack azure. Black Ice enchants give a total of 920 points at lvl 12 instead of 700 for an azure. The Cruels and other 2 way splits are nice, but give 840 total at rank 12. The benefit is my life steal is around 15.5% chance and severity of 113%. Until last patch, Black ice and other 3 way splits would not show up on companions stats, so I used 6 cruels. Now that they fixed it, ill probably sell all of them and go straight Black Ice. My deflect will drop a few %, but my defense will by higher(460 max at 12 instead of 420 on cruel), and my life steal will be much higher, and I hardly ever even hit a potion already. On the 13 total off/def slots on my character, that's an extra 2860 in stats between power/crit/recov and def/deflect/life steal. On my companion, the 6 slots will be an extra 1320, before the bondings proc, which x 285% will be 3762 extra stats. So altogether you'll get an extra 6622 in stats.

Are your bonding stones and enchantments rank 12?

I was asking where I should be at for an character that is around IL 2,500.

I am no way going to invest that much money into enchantments to get them to rank 12 or into bonding stones. To expensive and not really worth my time and effort for a game I play maybe 2 hours a day.

I can see myself getting rank 9 and maybe getting some rank 10 enchantments, but not getting them to rank 12.

I think I found my issue with my Damage Resistance. The Fire Elemental set gives you base increase in defense around 1800 at the uncommon level. When the weapon is legendary the defense goes to about 2400 combined. The drowned set only gives around 800 or so total. That is where I lost some of my defense and damage resistance.

I refined my Elemental shield into my drowned shield. Is there a way to earn back the Elemental shield?

No, mine aren't rank 12. I have 1 rank 10 and 2 rank 9's right now for 165% proc right now. Once I save up to 320k again to buy another rank 8, ill make the 2 9's into a lvl 10. To me it's all about planning. I really don't want to spend more, later when I start hitting caps. I'd rather gear the Black Ice and Bonding as they are. I actually just started using the bondings over the Goat augment. I had the Stone of might, which I still leave as a companion for the 5% stamina regen, but the goat had slightly better stats for some reason with the same gear. I sold my perfect negation for around 3.5 mil, and bought 4 lvl 8 shadowclad's at 170k each. I had 4 coalescents from my alts praying, and made it a rank 11, so now it gives damage resist as well. My guildmates found out I had Harper Bard from promotion last year, and insisted I upgrade him to legendary and drop the augment. I'm taking my time on the bondings though.
    I'd wait until next sale on trade bar store of 20% off, and get the bear cub for 640 bars, or buy him for around 300k. To me, his life steal at purple is amazing. I usually outheal clerics and paladins with just my lifesteal. I only have 3 rank 11 enchants(shadowclad, 1 black ice, 1 draconic) at 3.4k item level. I still have a few black ice 9's, and the rest are lvl 10 draconic, cruel, black ice. Usually wait until x2 refine, upgrade the rank 7 azure/radiant/dark with my stacks of rank 5's to rank 9's, and sell them.
    As for where you should be. Figure out which enchants you want(you see I like the splits), and start lvling them all together. I don't see the point of pushing 1 enchant to lvl 10 and leaving others at rank 7-8. Another x2 refinement starts on the Oct 6th, so you should be able to make some improvements. I suggest you try and run Sharandar every day and get the 9 Lesser Thaumaturgic from the 3 areas. Having a stack or 2 of those at x2 refine is a major difference. The Dragon Hoard enchants will help you get more refinement too. I have 4 rank 10's(3% each), and 1 quartermaster rank 9. Not sure about the fey and how high the enchants it drops.
    Concentrate on 1 piece of artifact equip at a time. Unlocking the extra spots for enchants is huge. If you have an active guild, try and start doing the dragonflight runs, and bypass the elven, dusk, and drow armor. Until I got that, I used the drow gear. Artifacts are the main source of item level going up I think. Go through the artifact list and check out which ones you like at mythic before you start picking your 4. I got Oghma's and symbol of fire off bar store, to go along with emblem of Seldarine and GF sigil. I might eventually get symbol of air to replace the GF sigil, but not sure. I would get the cloak of seldarine for the +8 AC at max, which should raise your defen resist too.
    And don't underestimate the potions. You can use the Foehammer's elixir for deflect severity(potion), guild food, and event food (Grandsummer feast I suggest, but I'd buy elminster's lunchbox to get them) all stacked, and then use elixir of fate and Sharandar elixir(forget the name) to up your primary and secondary 2 points each.

I think I found my issue with my Damage Resistance. The Fire Elemental set gives you base increase in defense around 1800 at the uncommon level. When the weapon is legendary the defense goes to about 2400 combined. The drowned set only gives around 800 or so total. That is where I lost some of my defense and damage resistance.

I refined my Elemental shield into my drowned shield. Is there a way to earn back the Elemental shield?

As far as I know, it's gone if you use it to refine something else.
    stark760 said:

No, mine aren't rank 12. I have 1 rank 10 and 2 rank 9's right now for 165% proc right now. Once I save up to 320k again to buy another rank 8, ill make the 2 9's into a lvl 10. To me it's all about planning. I really don't want to spend more, later when I start hitting caps. I'd rather gear the Black Ice and Bonding as they are. I actually just started using the bondings over the Goat augment. I had the Stone of might, which I still leave as a companion for the 5% stamina regen, but the goat had slightly better stats for some reason with the same gear. I sold my perfect negation for around 3.5 mil, and bought 4 lvl 8 shadowclad's at 170k each. I had 4 coalescents from my alts praying, and made it a rank 11, so now it gives damage resist as well. My guildmates found out I had Harper Bard from promotion last year, and insisted I upgrade him to legendary and drop the augment. I'm taking my time on the bondings though.
    I'd wait until next sale on trade bar store of 20% off, and get the bear cub for 640 bars, or buy him for around 300k. To me, his life steal at purple is amazing. I usually outheal clerics and paladins with just my lifesteal. I only have 3 rank 11 enchants(shadowclad, 1 black ice, 1 draconic) at 3.4k item level. I still have a few black ice 9's, and the rest are lvl 10 draconic, cruel, black ice. Usually wait until x2 refine, upgrade the rank 7 azure/radiant/dark with my stacks of rank 5's to rank 9's, and sell them.
    As for where you should be. Figure out which enchants you want(you see I like the splits), and start lvling them all together. I don't see the point of pushing 1 enchant to lvl 10 and leaving others at rank 7-8. Another x2 refinement starts on the Oct 6th, so you should be able to make some improvements. I suggest you try and run Sharandar every day and get the 9 Lesser Thaumaturgic from the 3 areas. Having a stack or 2 of those at x2 refine is a major difference. The Dragon Hoard enchants will help you get more refinement too. I have 4 rank 10's(3% each), and 1 quartermaster rank 9. Not sure about the fey and how high the enchants it drops.
    Concentrate on 1 piece of artifact equip at a time. Unlocking the extra spots for enchants is huge. If you have an active guild, try and start doing the dragonflight runs, and bypass the elven, dusk, and drow armor. Until I got that, I used the drow gear. Artifacts are the main source of item level going up I think. Go through the artifact list and check out which ones you like at mythic before you start picking your 4. I got Oghma's and symbol of fire off bar store, to go along with emblem of Seldarine and GF sigil. I might eventually get symbol of air to replace the GF sigil, but not sure. I would get the cloak of seldarine for the +8 AC at max, which should raise your defen resist too.
    And don't underestimate the potions. You can use the Foehammer's elixir for deflect severity(potion), guild food, and event food (Grandsummer feast I suggest, but I'd buy elminster's lunchbox to get them) all stacked, and then use elixir of fate and Sharandar elixir(forget the name) to up your primary and secondary 2 points each.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Did you keep the Elemental Fire Artifact weapons or did you swap it for another set? If I would have paid attention to the details I would have kept that weapon.

As for enchantments and ranking them up, that is how I plan to do it. Get them all to the same rank, other than the utility ones. I'm fine with those staying at rank 8.

My goal is to get both my characters enchantments for offensive and defensive up to rank 10s. After that I won't be ranking them up.

As for bonding stones and augment companion. Both my character have 2 level 8 bonding stones and 1 level 7 bonding stone. My tank toon has Watler for an augment companion, which ATM provides better stats than what the bonding character provides. However, I like the companion I have for bonding as she helps hold threat near me most of the time. I rarely use her though as she tends to pull threat for no reason while I am doing solo content, so I mainly use Watler.

As for the Greater Selardine cloak and artifact, my main is grinding the dungeon where they drop daily. I had 20 keys at one point and I'm now done to about 2. I have yet to see either.

Would getting the standard Selardine Cloak be ok until I get the Greater cloak?

Presently, my concern is my DR at 35% is not high enough for content as a tank. If I had the Fire weapon I would be around 40% right now. Ugh....Oh well.

edited September 2016
    I decided to drop a bit more into the game today, damn getting your character just right is expensive. LOL...

So I picked up two epic mounts. One with 2K defense and the other has 1K in both Armor Pen and Critical Strike.

I will use the Defense Mount Power when tanking and when not tanking I will use the other power.
    d
    This way I can raise my DR by 5% within seconds if needed. :smile:

My other character got the benefit of getting an increase in Armor Pen and Critical Strike. As for my GF with the Arm Pen and Crit Stk mount power has increase my crit chance is around 20% and my RI is around 38%.

Try and get the greater cloak of seldarine, its around 16k for blue. It adds 2/4/6/8 AC, and at blue, the +4 AC should be around 2% to your damage resist from just that. The artifact is a little pricey, but not as bad as the 2-3 million it used to be before it was put artifact pack.
    edited September 2016
    stark760 said:

Try and get the greater cloak of seldarine, its around 16k for blue. It adds 2/4/6/8 AC, and at blue, the +4 AC should be around 2% to your damage resist from just that. The artifact is a little pricey, but not as bad as the 2-3 million it used to be before it was put artifact pack.

I got it last night dirt cheap, 150K AD. :)

My DR is now up to 45% and I still have boons to get. I will be close to 50% once I am all done with the boons. Yeah....

I like where I am at now. Thank you for your advice.

I'm on PS4 and that cloak cheap price is around 300K AD. So for me 150K AD is cheap. LOL..
  • wabber#5907 wabber Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    was he wearing twisted weapon?
    was his negation enchant higher than yours?
    drowned is more health as you know, when you dont need that anymore ie you have most of boons, switch to twisted, as this will provide defense from being hit.

Another option. you can get your defense to 50% and stop if you have trans negation, also might want to look into a 30% defense ring while moving, to cover the gap till your negation stacks up.

was he wearing twisted weapon?
    was his negation enchant higher than yours?
    drowned is more health as you know, when you dont need that anymore ie you have most of boons, switch to twisted, as this will provide defense from being hit.

Another option. you can get your defense to 50% and stop if you have trans negation, also might want to look into a 30% defense ring while moving, to cover the gap till your negation stacks up.

I'm at 45% right now when I put all my tank items on. My goal is to have 3-4 pieces of gear that I swap out when I'm not tanking. Those items will use Rank 7 enchantments with my Tank gear getting Rank 8+. This way when I'm not playing as a tank I can put out some decent damage and it should make solo content smoother.

I ended up switching to Conqueror for extra damage as I still have plenty of solo content to complete for boons. I have ran with some GF Tacticians on healer and may swap to that down the road, maybe.

I like where I am ATM. I will have to test my build out tonight. I'm not sure what dungeon I should run as I never tanked and I tried to tank in the skirmish but that seemed impossible. Any good recommendation for a tank noob in NW.
  • shontsushontsu Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Which skirmish is 'the skirmish'?
    There's probably no easy jump from not tanking to tanking epics. I'd say LoL. Lots of people want to run it, good DPS can burn it fairly quickly, and the fights are mostly 'dont stand in the red'. Watch a vid or read a writeup first though. Beware the scorpions have a normal (non-red area) attack that does significant damage if you don't block or avoid it. I tend to take one and kite it instead of tank it, but I think I'm the exception there, that goes back to when I had low stamina and would constantly run out of guard if I tried to face tank it, now I just find it easy to kite it every time.
    shontsu said:

Which skirmish is 'the skirmish'?
    There's probably no easy jump from not tanking to tanking epics. I'd say LoL. Lots of people want to run it, good DPS can burn it fairly quickly, and the fights are mostly 'dont stand in the red'. Watch a vid or read a writeup first though. Beware the scorpions have a normal (non-red area) attack that does significant damage if you don't block or avoid it. I tend to take one and kite it instead of tank it, but I think I'm the exception there, that goes back to when I had low stamina and would constantly run out of guard if I tried to face tank it, now I just find it easy to kite it every time.

I blind que for Malborg last night. I beat a bunch on my healer so I knew the mechanics and figured why not.

First mistake was using a blind que. Second was that I assumed the DC knew how to heal. The group was waiting at the first boss so I missed any chance to really learn how to tank prior to the boss. We get to the boss and I hold all adds on me. Trying position them so they hit my shield for AP regen and to reduce damage. We beat the boss and due to the healer dying, he didn't move out of the red area, I died right before the very last add went down. I put my shield down to pop a potion but that failed me.

Get to the next area and DPS pull all the adds, literally all the adds. I was like WTF...I did my best and put enough threat to grab them and turn them around only to see my heal bar deplete really fast as my guard drop and I noticed once again the healer died, again for not getting out of a red AoE. I popped Fighter Recovery and we finished off the adds. The rest of the adds were not a problem. We get to the second boss and I put out enough threat to get all of them to the corner with me with their back facing the group. Healer dies once again and no one gets him. We nearly killed the boss but it resulted in a wipe as I had no daily available to save my skin this time around. We try again and within second healers dead again. At this point I put wipe. I checked everyone out, reviewed the scoreboard and left.

I was top in damage, top in heals and top in damage in as a tank. Right there I knew the run was failure and I know it was not me. Maybe with a stronger group it would have been a better run.

Today in the same dungeon I was on my healer with a built group. The GF was 3100 and could not hold the enemies at all.

I don't swap out combat superiority for Enhanced Threat as I have the artifact ability that increase threat with combat superiority. It worked well in ToDG and Malborg.

I will give it another go tonight I know a few more time in there and I will get through it.
  • wabber#5907 wabber Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    @mengalsfan when you have enough of the boons/geared your self sustain should be enough to keep you up without a healer. You just got to know when you can catch a red with your shield and when you have to move to the side like everyone else. If I see the healer die a lot I will turn off kV, if I can't keep myself up, same with dumb dps that constantly stand in red and try to kill me.

For harder content like cn/FBI etc your guild/friends list is your best friend for finding descent healers. When pugging and you see a descent class, don't be afraid to start up a Convo after the run is over with something along the lines of "hey (character name ) you were killing it or your the best healer i had all day! Mind if I add to you to friends list so we can kick <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on another dungeon sometime?" This is an MMO after all and friends have somewhat to do with that;)
    Eventually you will build up a list that you no longer have to pug it if you don't want to by building your own parties through guild/friends. Sometime though we do like the challenge of pugs.
    Being a tank is not for the weak hearted you have to take the initiative and get there first. If you have some guns blazing gwf or warlock using there tab skill nothing you can do about that let them die while walking forward with shield up so they don't get you killed.
  • greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    I've read a couple of you guys commenting about not wanting to use single stat enchants... If you want to get your Defense/DR up you should really use Azure's and only Azure's in ALL Defense slots. Adding more to Deflect is not helping you IMO. Once your higher ilvl with some boons sure maybe toy around with other enchants, but just starting out? Heck no. Azure's all the way.

And if you need a companion to really help boost your Defense spend 2g on the Adbar Shield Maiden in the Emporium. She has three Def slots to put your 2 r8 Bondings and 1 r7 bonding stone. She also has a belt slot and 2 ring slots. Buy a cheap level 70 blue belt on the AH - that has a Def slot - and the following rings: Sudden Defense +2 and Sudden Life Steal +2 (or Deflect +2). Put Azure's in ALL slots on your new totally awesome and cheap companion, and go tank whatever you want.

As a beginner tank the ONLY stat that should matter to you is Defense. Spending any stat points on anything else is the absolute wrong thing to do... Get your Defense up until you have guild boons, campaign boons and all other other goodies.

If I didn't say it enough... Only work on raising your Defense!! If it's not at 80% then you're taking more damage. Screw Deflect and Life Steal for now.

Good luck.

I've read a couple of you guys commenting about not wanting to use single stat enchants... If you want to get your Defense/DR up you should really use Azure's and only Azure's in ALL Defense slots. Adding more to Deflect is not helping you IMO. Once your higher ilvl with some boons sure maybe toy around with other enchants, but just starting out? Heck no. Azure's all the way.

And if you need a companion to really help boost your Defense spend 2g on the Adbar Shield Maiden in the Emporium. She has three Def slots to put your 2 r8 Bondings and 1 r7 bonding stone. She also has a belt slot and 2 ring slots. Buy a cheap level 70 blue belt on the AH - that has a Def slot - and the following rings: Sudden Defense +2 and Sudden Life Steal +2 (or Deflect +2). Put Azure's in ALL slots on your new totally awesome and cheap companion, and go tank whatever you want.

As a beginner tank the ONLY stat that should matter to you is Defense. Spending any stat points on anything else is the absolute wrong thing to do... Get your Defense up until you have guild boons, campaign boons and all other other goodies.

If I didn't say it enough... Only work on raising your Defense!! If it's not at 80% then you're taking more damage. Screw Deflect and Life Steal for now.

Good luck.

GF max number of defensive slots are as followed and if you are lucky with rings.

4 on 145 Rings
    1 on Shield
    1 on Belt
    1 on Pants
    1 on Armor

That is a total of 8 Defensive slots one could have.

Azure Rank 8 provide 280 and that would give you a Defense of 2240 plus whatever your gear and boons give you. No deflection or other stats are raised, just defense. Every 400 gives a player 1% increase in DR and this translate to 5.6%.

Now a Cruel rank 8 enchantment provides 150 in defense and deflection. With 8 slots for Cruel one would get 1,200 in both Deflection and Defense. Deflection chance is raise by 3% and DR is raised by 3%.

Say someone has a base of 30% DR without enchantments. When you go full Azure you raise up to 35.6%. If you go Cruel you raise it up to 33%.

A 100K Hit will take away 64.4K or 67K. Now the player that has cruel has a 3% higher chance to deflect 50% of that damage and that 67 now becomes 33.5K.

If a player goes full on deflection instead of DR they would have a 5.6% to deflect.

What I basically wanted to point out is that if you are using 8's you are not seeing that much gains with Azure as you would with a enchantment that gives two stat boost. Going for min or max is not always the best way to play. I get that is the thought but that small increase in deflection could be that life saver when you run out of your guard meter.

• greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    Sure the two stat enchants provide more stat points in the long run, but - and I agree - pretty much every guide for GF tanking recommends getting your DR to 80% as your main goal.

Plus, until Oct 18th on ps4, every percentage point of DR gives you and your group mates another percent of damage... Assuming you're rocking ItF every time it comes off cooldowns and you spent a point to get rank 4... That's nothing to sneeze at, and those fancy two stat enchants aren't getting you there fast enough.

Also, if you want to tank long term especially as a Conq spec you should invest in a Negation enchant. The normal version gives you 15% DR at 10 stacks. Easily achieved when using KV in a group... That DR does NOT count towards your ItF boost but it does make you tanker.

If you're playing the long game by ranking enchants that you feel will help you more once you get them to r12, then you'll have to deal with being less tanks til then. I don't recommend that approach, but to each his own.

Good luck.
    "Sure the two stat enchants provide more stat points in the long run, but"
    Bascially, at rank at 8 azure, instead of 280 defense, you get 170 defense + the 85 deflect and lifesteal with black ice. So each Azure at rank 8 raises your defense resist by .275%. At rank 9, 330 for the azure, 220 defense + 110 deflect and lifesteal. The azure 9 didn't gain any more than the .275% of damage resist advantage than the 8 did.
    Bottom line. Spend on the azure if you want, and then be prepared to spend again for better enchants. Or actually plan it out and save yourself a lot of time, resources, and money. So of you had 10 azure 9's, you'd gain 2.75% damage resist total more than 10 9 black ice. But the Black ice would also give you 1100 deflect and 1100 lifesteal, 2.75% on each. To each their own.
    At rank 12, 10 azure's will get you an extra 240 for 2400 total extra defense, 6% damage resist. The flip side is, you get deflection of 2300 and lifesteal of 2300, 5.75% extra for each. And if you build rank 12's, I doubt your going to be asking gear questions.
    edited September 2016
    stark760 said:

At rank 12, 10 azure's will get you an extra 240 for 2400 total extra defense, 6% damage resist. The flip side is, you get deflection of 2300 and lifesteal of 2300, 5.75% extra for each. And if you build rank 12's, I doubt your going to be asking gear questions.

I like Cruels as you get 400+ with each one at rank 12. That is a 1%+ increase in both stats. You spread that out over the 8 defensive enchantments and you get 8.5% increase in both. Without any enchantments my Deflection rate is 29%. So 8%+ increase will get my rate up to 37%. Plus I have three boon so my deflection rate will be almost 40% without any strong hold boons. My DR will be over 50%. If I go for level 12 enchantments.

As for 80% DR, I heard you want 50% and the other 30% will come from KV. If that is the case I am close to that.

Also 10/18 is only 3 weeks away, why should I focus on one stat that will soon have diminshing returns. Instead I will go back to my build on increasing both deflection and defense.

On a side note, tanked Malborg just fine last night without any issues. We had no wipes. Group had myself, DC, SW, GWF, and a CW. CW really helped the group with holding adds down and the DC was buffing and healing along with my ITF. End results, perfect run.

There was only 2 deaths. I died on the last boss trying to free a commrade who was behind me. I should know better from tanking in other games never to turn your back on the boss. I did and that is when he did an electrical attack that killed me.

Other than that it was a very clean and smooth run.