test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TR Companion(s) for solo play

quorb#1247 quorb Member Posts: 53 Arc User
Just curious what companions people are using for solo play?

I'm using a blue Faithful Initiate (no plan to make her legendary after using her for a while now), but I find her really underwhelming overall.

She makes for a nice decoy and dies almost every fight, so that's been handy at times. Most of the time though, she backs up...backs up...backs up, and will aggro other packs of mobs. Very highly annoying with this AI pathing - not to mention she rarely heals herself. Seems like a waste of AD that I used on this companion.

I also have Erinyes of Belial, and the extra critical severity is nice. Other than those two, using a mix of freebies and the dwarf.

I'm playing on the PS4, and don't have much AD left after recent purchases. Just looking for some feedback and suggestions on some of the better companions for Trickster Rogues that run solo?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    I used to use a legendary Owlbear cub with rank 9 crit runestones, which gave very nice stat return from augment. I have now moved to a Shadow Demon with bondings, which may take a few hits to offer the same stat return as the augment, in longer fights (dragons) it far outstrips the augment for stat boosting.

But if you can pick up an inexpensive augment and outfit with 'loyal' trinkets (if you can get loyal on the PS4?) and at least rank 8 runestones I think you'll find it perfectly suitable for solo play.
  • Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Pre-mod 10, my setup was Fire Archon, Air Archon, Earth Archon, Intellect Devourer, and Lightfoot Thief. Also had Blink Dog available.

Now?.... hard to say. I'm keeping the archons, but need to fill the last 2 with something useful. I'm not convinced CA companions are worth it anymore, but I haven't anything handy to replace them. The next 20% tradebar discount may encourage me to get a Shadow Demon.
  • Options
    blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Fire Archon
    Air Archon
    Erinyes
    Siege Master
    Dancing Blade

Thats what i use. I might try Death Slaad instead Dancing Blade in Fangbreaker but for now Dancing Blade is better. CA companions were good but their effect is lowered now so not sure how good they perform.
  • Options
    Thanks, appreciate the suggestions everyone.
  • Options
    huegrimhuegrim Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    For as of now; I am using the war dog companion.
  • Options
    Yeah, I use the war dog companion with my DC. He's a good little companion.

Hammbo1969, I doubt that the PS4 will ever have access to the companion loyal gear. Too many hoops and logistics to jump through to implement Sword Coast Adventures on the platform. I really wish we had access to that stuff, but in reality we most likely never will.

So with the above being said, I guess for me it comes down to the Black Dragon Ioun Stone or the Icosahedron Ioun Stone (+10% experience bonus). Those two seem like the best investment since they already come at epic level quality, and we have access to them on the PS4 platform. The downside is they both cost Zen, and the active bonus is nothing to write home about for both. I'm leaning toward the Icosahedron Ioun Stone, since it has two offensive slots (two bonding) and one defensive (to slot an eldritch stone). I don't plan to be below 50% hit point very often, so the Black Dragon one seems less useful to me. Nice that it has three offensive slots, though.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    (double post)
  • Options
    kinganuthinkinganuthin Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Blink dog is good and you can try to farm him. I didn't pay much for him.
    Coupled with intellect devourer active, its good.
    He has a fast proc rate, and gives CA a lot if you're not positioned. He does not stun Which is good for Throne.
    Ill be farming the yeti soon..
  • Options
    araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    I use the following and it works VERY well for me.

Shadow Demon (epic, with R11 Bondings and Loyal gear with R9/10 enchants)
    Earth Archon (epic)
    Air Archon (epic)
    Fire Archon (rare, will upgrade to epic shortly)
    Dancing Blade (rare, will switch to Siege Master when I get spare AD)