test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Archer

valynstarfirevalynstarfire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 100 Arc User
My HR Stormwarden Archer is 2.5k IL, with a Dread Enchant and Lostmauth set. With the upcoming respec and the power upgrades and changes, I am wonderig what people think a good choice of powers and feats this should take.

I am contemplating Crushing Roots and Aspect of the Falcon for class features.
My at-wills would be Rapid Shot and Split Shot.
Encounters are Cordon of Arrows, Hindering Shot, and Split The Sky.

I know the feat change that reduces cooldowns when you use Aimed Shot, but with Lostmauth, I would think it would be better to use rapid shot. I use Cordon and Hindering because they have 3 charges and am trying to get the most out of the Dread Enchant.

Comments

• aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Think you'd enjoy seeing 100+k hits every couple of seconds?
    If the answer is "Yes", then consider Aimed Shot.

Add 50+k to that by prefacing with Longstrider's, and swapping out your Dread for a Vorpal.

Also, for class features, consider swapping out Crushing for Pack or Lone Wolf. Pack alone adds +15% damage if you're alone (and with a companion); Lone Wolf will up your survivability vs. packs of enemies. Crushing's daze is nice and all, but if you're only casting a roots ability every 10 sec or so, it's not going to make a huge difference.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I was planning to do the same until I did some tests. Aimed Shot is a no-brainer now even if the Lostmauth proc suffers. Out of 28 million damage I did with Aimed Shot rotation only 500k came from Lostmauth proc. When I tested Rapid Shot rotation 1 million came from Lostmauth proc but I only did 23 million damage.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    my setups (still working on them):

1) solo content, mobs arent one ”rotation=dead”:
    Thorn Ward, Rain of Arrows, Cordon or Arrows
    Aspect of the pack (plus companion) or Stormstep Action (with augment) and Aspect of the Lone Wolf

2) solo content, mobs are onerotated:
    Longstrinder+Cordon+Rain
    Pack+Flackon

3) Party dungeon:
    Longstrinder+Cordon+Rain
    Pack+Stormstep/Flackon/Seekers Venegance (rarely lone wolf)

4) Boss fights:
    Longstrinder+ward+rain
    pack+seekers

5) hard boss:
    Lonstrinder+ward+fox
    pack/stormstep+lone wolf

6) buffer:
    longstrinder+hawkshot+ward/rain/commanding
    pack+stormstep

7) any fights like Demonic Slaughter:
    rain+cordon+ Split the Sky
    pack+stormstep

my atwills are aimed shot+electric shot
    my daylies are mainly seismic shot or disruptive shot or forest ghost

as companion i use the flame sprite now (with no bondings) or a cat, the sprite is better cause of combat advantage
  • schlunzzz#4946 schlunzzz Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    @mayday

Would you post your talents pls?
    Never played the archer tree and want to try it.

@mayday

All Archery feats but you can ignore Keen Eye and Stormcaller's Arrow.
    Weapon Mastery 3/3
    Toughness 3/3
    - mix of points between Predatory Action and Swift Footwork (5/5 in one and 1/5 in other)
    Endless Assault 3/3
    Scoundrel Training 2/3
    Disciple of Dexterity 3/3
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    ^^ also consider ignoring Longshot and going for Skirmisher's Gambit. Provided you have the crit to spare

@mayday

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/hr?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13j3iji:1000000:1000000:1000000&h=0&p=swd&o=0

this is for heroic feats.
    For Paragon feats i use full archery without Keen Eye and Stormcallers Arrow
    aaramis75 said:

^^ also consider ignoring Longshot and going for Skirmisher's Gambit. Provided you have the crit to spare

i cant find 3 feats to swap for gambit... Longshot and rising focus + 1 more, but all in all you lose more than gain. As you gain only 50% critsev and loose longhot, rising focus (so only 50-15 = 35% critsev) and one more feat. bottomless quiver and unflitching aim are too good to not take them, and stillness is nice with a slight dps boost and +25% crit (that with a vorpal is much better than 35% critsev) so i would not recomend to do so, it is a waste.

• marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User

Aspect of the pack (plus companion) or Stormstep Action (with augment) and Aspect of the Lone Wolf

Longstrinder+Cordon+Rain
    Pack+Flackon

3) Party dungeon:
    Longstrinder+Cordon+Rain

4) Boss fights:
    Longstrinder+ward+rain
    pack+seekers

5) hard boss:
    Lonstrinder+ward+fox
    pack/stormstep+lone wolf

6) buffer:
    pack+stormstep

pack+stormstep

as companion i use the flame sprite now (with no bondings) or a cat, the sprite is better cause of combat advantage

Solid set up more or less what i use also when I tested Archer in preview.

Thorn ward/strike is a killer now, even using it solo as trapper.
  • krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    Did anyone tryed Archer if it's viable in PvP or it has no chance compared the other two paths there?
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    krondhor said:

Did anyone tryed Archer if it's viable in PvP or it has no chance compared the other two paths there?

Seeing that aimed shot and other really slow powers are it's bread and butter, it stands no chance. No survivability, no CC. Nothing other classes can simply dodge or mitigate. People like to complain for the SW, but even it has more tools.
  • krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    It's what I tought, I think PvP wise the only viable builds are: Full Trapper, Trapper+Longhshot and Full Combat, and at the end Piercing Blade does less damage that I tought except against low players ofcourse.
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    did anyone tried an archer with ambush and a lot of mobility ? ambush + HE should give archer a good burst with hawk shot/ command shot
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    aderonz said:

did anyone tried an archer with ambush and a lot of mobility ? ambush + HE should give archer a good burst with hawk shot/ command shot

You get cc-ed then you die, sure you can have some fun with low IL players but as soon as you face some that knows what they are doing 3.3+ you die because you have no anti cc close to non cc and poor abilities to survive- simple as that.....
    Classic (full) archer builds are bat at pvp, they have a lot of DMG, burst and sustained, but no CC or tools to survive.
    But i gues they can act as old mod 5 CWs - a glass cannon with a support to keep it alive, but even in such a case, it will be a try-hard for both, the archer and the support.
    edited August 2016
    marnival said:

Longstrinder+Cordon+Rain
    Pack+Flackon

3) Party dungeon:
    Longstrinder+Cordon+Rain

4) Boss fights:
    Longstrinder+ward+rain
    pack+seekers

5) hard boss:
    Lonstrinder+ward+fox
    pack/stormstep+lone wolf

6) buffer:
    pack+stormstep

pack+stormstep

Solid set up more or less what i use also when I tested Archer in preview.

Thorn ward/strike is a killer now, even using it solo as trapper.
    Thorn ward was good all the time, but only as supporting skill, now it was buffed, and is a good dps skill to, so there is no reason to not use it.
    The new commanding is nice too, i use both if i need high ”- damage resist” on boss fights
    So all in all the balance is achieved, 90% of powers are usefull now, nice.
    Thorn Ward didn't get a damage buff AFAIK but it has always been a good damage encounter, for me anyways. Thorn Strike is awesome now and only has like a 7-sec CD. But I wouldn't go as far as saying 90% of our powers are useful atm. There are still many that suck.
    Our pain is self chosen.

lirithiel said:

Thorn Ward didn't get a damage buff AFAIK but it has always been a good damage encounter, for me anyways. Thorn Strike is awesome now and only has like a 7-sec CD. But I wouldn't go as far as saying 90% of our powers are useful atm. There are still many that suck.

from encounter powers: useless are only maradeur and boar, maybe ambush
    from class features only pathfinders ”battlehorned” and ”cruel recovery” are useless, othe powers and atwills can find their place on your bar in some situations.

• vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    i am really looking for archery build. currently use trapper with archer piercing and it wont change till i finish campaign, i dont want to hunt mobs in the storm, root them till they die is a lot better.

it depends on two things - performance at pvp and fangbreaker island. In pvp i will not be top dog anyway, viable dueler, so it sems to me archery is viable as member of the group, i like Aimed shot (i even use it in former modules, where archery was viable. I hope dps at fangbreaker will be comparable to other paths. But my current hybrid looks good too.
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    VINCEENT1 How is the hybrid build doing in PVP it was great in preview when tried it but haven't respected to it in live yet
    Ara
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    jhpnw said:

VINCEENT1 How is the hybrid build doing in PVP it was great in preview when tried it but haven't respected to it in live yet
    Ara

very hard to say since i am not bis. cant hurt bis before, still cant hurt bis significantly, often i am just rooted, dazed ad absurdum so i cant move nor attack

overall i feel better at pvp today than before (but consider how many lowbies looking for glory bonanza today)

aimed shot is really good, its like another encounter only longer casting. unless you are dazed or proned its not interupted, good for bursting or finishing people. Forest ghost seems smoother. Melee stance feels the same

definitely build worth a try on bis level
  • badkarma#2104 badkarma Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I notice I see nobody using Hawks shot or aspect of the falcon, which synergize with archery increasing damage with increasing distance from target. And pack is a buff handled by gwf and gf already(I believe anyways)

So why thornward?
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    to me aspect of the falcon not that great, i mean yes it does give
    increase in distance but not that much to give a good advantage
    probably about 2 second advantage and the fighting is up close.
    Hawk shot is only one time good shot and the fighting is up close.
    Probably the reason why these are never used. Well these are the
    reasons i never use them. So i assume it's the same for everyone
    else.

Now waiting for someone to bashed me.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
    Well if your playing archery, you're trying to stay at range? Or are we still weaving in and out to poke the bad guys with swords? Idk maybe I think archery is played different and am missing something?
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    Sorry thought i give my input on what i experience so far as a HR.

For me i play Archery/Stormwarden usually stick to AoE for pve.
    But since i looked at mayday post i have been switching it up
    and having quite a lot of fun so far.

But for pvp is a different story. hawk shot and falcon would be
    at the bottom of my list of choices to use.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
    Guess I should state i do not pvp
    I use Aspect of the Falcon on boss fights otherwise it's Twin-Blade Storm and Pack for the rest. I'm using a Fire Archon as my summoned companion now as he tends to stay closer to me (mostly) so I get Combat Advantage a vast majority of the time even at range. There aren't that many choices available when it comes to class features for Archery so Falcon is nice for the extra damage it provides but there is no need to take more than rank 1.

Archery is played at range but no more than 30' away (for Longstrider's to proc) from the target otherwise you're missing out on crucial buffs. As such Hawk Shot isn't very effective and anyway it still doesn't outperform Rain of Arrows, Longstrider's or Cordon of Arrows/Thorn Ward. TW does a lot of damage and can be kept up 100% of the fight as well as provide a debuff. I have tried Commanding Shot but the animation is still too long when using Aimed Shot.
    Our pain is self chosen.

Long striders procs beyond 30

Long striders procs beyond 30

Which means you never have to be more than 30' away from your target ;)
    Our pain is self chosen.