test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cross platform play.

abrams121abrams121 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
I keep noticing a lot of people mentioning cross platform play. Has there been any hints from the powers that be about this becoming a reality?

I for one would welcome a much larger community of players. And it seems that they run STO and NW on the same equipment and can already chat with STO players. So some sharing is already happening.

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    The Powers That Be have mentioned multiple times that this will not happen. Xbox is not on the same build as PC, and I have a feeling that PS4 will either be on the same build as Xbox or a build or 2 behind Xbox.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    That's unfortunate
  • Options
    jyotaijyotai Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Which basically means that the game coming to Playstation won't increase the population.

Small MMOs die by having factions and splits that cannot play together... Look at Wildstar, its a great game, in its death throws... and its largely because they have a faction split like WoW does - something you cannot support unless you have a playerbase in the millions.

Look at FFXIV:Arr - its growing like crazy. PC, PS3, and PS4 players can all play alongside each other. Its one of the only new MMOs that was able to keep itself a subscription based game. Every other MMO out there is talking about how they can retain players. Even WoW. FFXIV is trying to figure out what to do with all of its new players - allowing all the platforms to be together has keep it feeling alive, and that draws in new people like moths to a flame.

XBox may be a different build - fixing that ought to be priority number one. They should merge all their playerbases together. Putting PS4 by itself, would be a disaster.
    PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.
  • Options
    I think it is a huge mistake to try and bring this game to the consoles before fixing the vast array of bugs and unbalanced features. Honestly, cross platform play and a standardization of the games should be a top priority for all game companies. Not only does that minimize the cost of running multiple copies of the same title but it brings a better community for the players.
  • Options
    Cross platform play and a standardized build would save tons of money for all game developers. And they could use that extra development time to come up with better content or to fix existing issues.
  • Options
    The only reason I can think of as to why they wouldn't do cross platform would be so they can adequately milk all three games into near extinction and then use the lure of cross platform to try to save the day.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Imaging the economy problem and gear problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    kreatyve said:

The Powers That Be have mentioned multiple times that this will not happen. Xbox is not on the same build as PC, and I have a feeling that PS4 will either be on the same build as Xbox or a build or 2 behind Xbox.

I noticed the Xbox related materials seem to indicate they even have different lockboxes vs the PC version. I notice in your sig you mention you play both versions... are there any other significant differences between the versions?

EDIT: Upon further research it looks like the Xbox does not have different lockboxes and does indeed seem to be lagging behind the PC release. I just misread the names of the lockboxes, bad me, no cookie for spreading misinformation! ;)
    Post edited by samaka#2511 on
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    It's understandable that cross-platform is not available right now in Neverwinter, it is not as simple as just opening the doors of the PC server to PS4 and Xbox. Microsoft is working hard on making cross-platform a reality for all games, the E3 speech was especially inspiring. The game you want on the platform you want with no boundaries. Hopefully they succeed and we can have it implemented on NW too.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User

kreatyve said:

I noticed the Xbox related materials seem to indicate they even have different lockboxes vs the PC version. I notice in your sig you mention you play both versions... are there any other significant differences between the versions?
    Xbox is running an update behind PC, they still do not have Alliances. Nor do I expect that they will get Storm Kings at the same time as PC. There is just too much risk for Cryptic to even try to release everything at once. If something goes wrong, if something legitimately game breaking happens. They can, and have, patched it that day or within the next few. They can deal with the problem, at will. With the consoles, there is more red-tape, they cant just simply push a new patch down without first having to deal with Microsoft or Sony.