test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is CW Renegade viable in PvE for new level 70 player who wants to do dungeons?

nezdin#5514 nezdin Member Posts: 259 Arc User
Hi all,

the title is pretty self explanatory. Basically I'm a thaumaturge with Icy Veins that I just love. I want to aim for PvP apart from PvE so also thinking about the option of renegade. However, I will have to lose Icy Veins (for spell twisting) and am wondering if this will make dungeons and quests more difficult?

Thanks for your input!
Nezdin (DC)
Aelan Icebleed (CW)

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    I'm rene and stuck with icy veins and have no problems. Chaotic growth is the main reason why rene is a good starting tree.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I'm renegade with Spell Twisting, never had Icy Veins. I've never felt like I needed Icy Veins for dungeons.

You are definitely more fragile. Until you have decent Lifesteal or high enough ilvl to kill a group in one rotation, you might want to run with a healing companion while soloing.
  • nezdin#5514 nezdin Member Posts: 259 Arc User

I played almost every combination including MoF Oppressor on live.. for at least a week. Just to see how it does. And by far, the best build you can run as a beginner-intermediate Wizard is Spellstorm Renegade with 15 in Thaum for Spell Twisting (or Ironzerg's build). Why? You are going to gain +10% Crit for yourself... and then another 5% for you and your team. And then another 30% with the capstone, not including 30% damage or the heal. You simply can not be as useful as Thaum with low gear as you can be as Renegade.

Thaum is an endgame build. In order for Thaum DPS to outweigh Ren buffs, you need really good gear, high lifesteal, HQ bonding stones etc. So until you get there, better run Ren.

Hey thanks for explaining this. A couple of things I am considering are:

(1) Are your beliefs about the above valid for both PvE and PvP or one of two?

(2) I was told on another thread I posted in the PvP forum that Chaotic Nexus is bugged and does not give the armour penetration -this means that the Renegade Capstone is flawed.

(3) Do you think that your opinion about Renegade > Thaum for my level is still valid after the Lostmauth nerf? Again, I was told that critical strike stacking in Renegade is less useful just because of the nerf. (and I must say that I have no set yet, no Lol set no Valindra no nothing)
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
    The OP was about PvE so thanks for your input. OK sure I may have to try the Preview Server. Have you (or anyone else) tried Renegade MoF? I am wondering if the crits are as valuable there are they are for Spellstorm...maybe via smolder/rimfire.
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User

The OP was about PvE so thanks for your input. OK sure I may have to try the Preview Server. Have you (or anyone else) tried Renegade MoF? I am wondering if the crits are as valuable there are they are for Spellstorm...maybe via smolder/rimfire.

MoF Renegade(with spell twisting) is the best and most viable path for a CW alt or for new players who have yet to attain high gears/ enchants. Because the renegade buffs and smolder debuff(do correct me if i am wrong) remains the same whether you are low geared or high geared, because they are buffs and debuffs. Going Thaum with not having those high level gears and enchants will just make you a "mediocre" dps atm, making you not a good choice for most people as they can easily get higher dps or better buffs instead of getting a low geared thaum spellstorm.

But then again if you enjoy using Spellstorm Thaum, then stay at it. Go with what is fun for you! :)

Thanks for your comments guys! I will try Renegade. Not sure yet between SS and MoF, will see ;)
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)