test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Demogorgon Phase 2: Goristo Likes Warm Hugs!

2»

Comments

• mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User

Well, I thought so...except I just parsed a Demogorgon run, and there was nothing called "paranoid delusions". The insanity beam is called "Hethradiah's Gaze".

Hethradiah is the name of Demogorgon's right head (the left one is Aameul).
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Yep. There's two attacks: Herhradiah's Gaze and Aemeul's Gaze...but no mention of anything called "paranoid delusions". Unless it's something new that pops up in epic mode.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User

Upgrade your potato.

no, i have no problems before underdark i wait for population drop
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    It wouldn't be the first time various parts of this game (or many others) have inconsistent names. If it is for one of the gazes, then one can only hope that it has the proper effect and we're just stuck trying to figure out which names refer to the same thing.

As far as the "purple beam really means you have to get in a sanity well", I don't think that's true. In a very specific case, a TR can use Impossible to Catch to easily survive the death beam. I'm especially fond now of having this skill available for the Goristro stage. There are usually several times when he starts charging concurrently with the death beams, and with ITC I can stay out on the field and target the charge correctly without fear of dying to the beams. Also, can anyone confirm if the death beams can be dodged? I think they can, if you time it perfectly, like with Lostmauth's death laser. If I'm correct, then dodging classes can largely ignore the beam as well, if they can get the timing down right.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Just did Epic. The delusions are mobs that spawn during the Goristo and Demogorgon phase. The epic version is no joke :smiley:
    Post edited by ironzerg79 on
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

Just did Epic. The delusions are mobs that spawn during the Goristo and Demogorgon phase. The epic version is no joke :smiley:

Thanks for the information, I have not unlocked the epic version yet
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    Updated with advice on Goristo in epic Demogorgon.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Popped in just to let you know it's GoristRo, not Goristo.
    I know, i'm a pest.

Gawd...not wonder he's always so mad at me...
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • stano11stano11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    Hi guys, just came out of eDemo, ran it 3 times so far. 2 gold, 1 epic fail :D last run we were cca 2,7-2,8k ilvl avarage our party and other party little lower. I can say with palladin (we had also DC) it is.... nice afternoon?? you jump around go to sanity well to take a shower and refresh, you pick up your reward.....The fail run we were like 2CWs, 2TRs and something no tank/heal/dps. Dont remember. We end up 3 in instance , swarmed with desilusions, ripped apart :D I dont want it to sound like it is super easy and i m the best, but we all know what Pallys do.... so grab one if you can. It is nice from devs that they allowed us to make a party and join q, not like Tiamat :wink: Without tank... well , it s another story :)
    Nice guide, hoped for one to pop up in forum, thanx. Makes life easier.
    Next time i ll check dodging "purple beam", thought abou it too.
    Aim it good, gl
    Triss
    Some more notes I posted in my guild forums.
    Just wanted to update here with some shared wisdom since we've been doing a lot of Epic Demogorgon.

On the Goristo Phase, job number 1 is always hitting a portal. There's nothing you can do in that fight that's more important. Even if you stand still and do zero DPS, but hit a portal each time you're charged, winning!

So always, always line yourself up. Theo brought up a good point last night. For some classes, it might be easier to line up facing the gold portal, then run past Goristo to the portal, instead of turning around. Also, don't worry about the arrow. It can be confusing. Just start running your HAMSTER directly to the gold portal and Goristo will follow up, hitting it every time.

And with that...just eat the charge. You can try to dodge forward, but don't try to dodge to the side at the last second. I saw a lot of "near hits" last night because people didn't time it very well, and moved out of the way too early. He's hitting me (in magic tissue paper armor) for about 50k with his charge. That's easy to survive.

Second thing is...always line yourself up. And if you're not sure if he's charging you because you're in a clump of people, assume he is and make for the portal. Again, those few seconds of "lost" DPS are worth it, even if it only means the difference between hitting one or two extra portals in that phase. But don't assume it's someone else, then miss a portal (or worse, hit a black one) because you didn't realize he was targeting you.

And last learning...don't go "white knuckle" DPS and mess up the mechanics. I can't stress how important hitting the portals are. If you can't focus on the portals, ease back on the DPS and focus. No one is doing some much DPS that they can afford to miss a portal because of it.

I can't stress that last part enough. Hitting portals is so much more important than your personal DPS, it's ridiculously important.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    stano11 said:

Hi guys, just came out of eDemo, ran it 3 times so far. 2 gold, 1 epic fail :D last run we were cca 2,7-2,8k ilvl avarage our party and other party little lower. I can say with palladin (we had also DC) it is.... nice afternoon?? you jump around go to sanity well to take a shower and refresh, you pick up your reward.....The fail run we were like 2CWs, 2TRs and something no tank/heal/dps. Dont remember. We end up 3 in instance , swarmed with desilusions, ripped apart :D I dont want it to sound like it is super easy and i m the best, but we all know what Pallys do.... so grab one if you can. It is nice from devs that they allowed us to make a party and join q, not like Tiamat :wink: Without tank... well , it s another story :)
    Nice guide, hoped for one to pop up in forum, thanx. Makes life easier.
    Next time i ll check dodging "purple beam", thought abou it too.
    Aim it good, gl
    Triss

I ran in a 3k run today that was the biggest cluster you know what I have ever seen. Missed gold on goristro by a hair because someone ran it into a black portal and we still could've made gold if five people hadn't quit on the spot.

OPs really do make it a lot easier. Most of the runs I've been in without OPs have had DCs that don't seem to understand they need to heal stuff.
    I8r4ux9.jpg

Theo brought up a good point last night. For some classes, it might be easier to line up facing the gold portal, then run past Goristo to the portal, instead of turning around.

I mentioned this in this thread the same day you first posted it.

That said, it is possible to massively DPS epic Goristro down, even in a pug group, though you need a lot of super powered players. I had one team get triple gold, despite no tanks, no healers, and 2 charges into black portals, because we had something like a half dozen roided out ultra-gwfs. In fact, we still had a minute left when Goristro went down, so we might have been able to afford a third black portal. We were dropping like flies in general but there was just so much damage pumped out while people were up that I don't think I've ever seen demo go down faster, in either normal or epic version.
    urabask said:

OPs really do make it a lot easier. Most of the runs I've been in without OPs have had DCs that don't seem to understand they need to heal stuff.

They may be doing tons of healing. But in stage one people are all over the map to pop portals, dodge attacks, group up mobs, fail to group up mobs (why u do dis?), and duck into sanity wells that it's simply impossible to heal most people most of the time. Including the DCs themselves! Unfortunately, healers can't easily target specific people in this game (in DDO you could just hit, say, the number 4 and you'd be targeting the 4th party member), so if you aren't right wherever they've decided the action is then you're getting nothing.
    They may be doing tons of healing. But in stage one people are all over the map to pop portals, dodge attacks, group up mobs, fail to group up mobs (why u do dis?), and duck into sanity wells that it's simply impossible to heal most people most of the time. Including the DCs themselves! Unfortunately, healers can't easily target specific people in this game (in DDO you could just hit, say, the number 4 and you'd be targeting the 4th party member), so if you aren't right wherever they've decided the action is then you're getting nothing.
    Eh. You should at least be able to keep track of your party members.

My main problem with the idea that it's everyone else's fault that they dont get healed is that a lot of the time you just see DCs spamming at wills or chains of blazing light when no one takes a DC in their party for that.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Issue # 1 in phase 1.. random group could have no tank, basically forcing the healer to be the tank. That is ok, if you dont want or need more heals..or have more then 1 healer..

Healer has a hard time pressed as tank and healer. With enough dps its doable.. without it.. healer cannot function as both tons of heals, tons of debuffs and tank really.. it was more doable before they added the debuff.. now healer CANNOT roam either. Its very hard, ive had instances where Ive had 3-4x the damage as anyone else.. 20 million + in heals and still have gotten tells of why no heals.. DUH.. do you look at act or the charts! I can barely keep myself up in phase 1 if I have to tank. I cant do it all.. Of course if you get a couple really powerful GWFs that can slaughter the adds quick.. this helps a ton, basically saving the instance. But not every group has enough dps to do that. So you need either 2 healers, or healer /tank to keep this smooth. That is the minimum of utility you would want. Since Random grouping , doesn't force that situation, this is the difficult part.

Issue #2 phase 2..groups hover too CLOSE to the sanity well., making it virtually impossible to get the red pathing right, if im on my DC, I beg them to stay on side of yellow portal.. but I cant force them of course. AA will of course save them, if they stay close to me.. but many do not understand that, even after I SAY it a couple of times.

Issue # 3 phase 3.. PULL demo to a sanity well.. omg people ! Please, PLEASE do this.

These issues are random groups for the most part, guilds runs or other premades are smooth maybe a missed portal once or twice. Some randoms are GREAT.. with no issues like this at all.

How do we train more people to get this correct? Makes me cranky repeating myself all the time, I find it can be worse then the tia runs honestly.

Most of the people who come to the forums probably have it correct, someone should point a link to this thread in chat zone for 4-5 days straight =P.

Issue # 3 phase 3.. PULL demo to a sanity well.. omg people ! Please, PLEASE do this.
    Not a sanity well; you want the sanity well in front of the spawn area because it's permanent.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    This deserves a bump, and also an emphasis that Goristro loves hugs.

Like many things in this game, getting everything in a big pile is a good strategy.
    Players are all together so it's easy for the DCs to target them all.
    Players are all together so they all benefit from paladin auras.
    Players are all together so Goristro doesn't start strolling to the far side of the map looking for some HR while all of the melee classes try to chase after him.
    Players are all together so Paranoid Delusions all jump to the same spot, which is next to the boss and AoE damage is just going to melt them.

And as mentioned several times but is worth repeating: In epic fight you must get in front of the yellow portal. Spending the whole fight in the sanity well is not being in front of the yellow portal.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    icyclass said:

And as mentioned several times but is worth repeating: In epic fight you must get in front of the yellow portal. Spending the whole fight in the sanity well is not being in front of the yellow portal.

Yup. Always set yourself up before attacking Goristro so you don't have to scramble when he targets you and you end up running him into the black hole. Even now I'm surprised to see how many people don't do this.

Interesting, the other day I was in a run where people were telling others to aim Goristro to the door/camp. At first I thought it was a joke first and was shocked to see people actually doing this. But in the end, we did get gold just by DPS-ing him. There was probably a bunch of ranged BiS players in the other party and they DPSed from the well the whole phase.

If a warlock is using the Sharandar set, he'll knock 15% of his health off every 45 seconds. But that's not a strategy. It's just cheesing a broken set bonus.

People shouldn't get in the habit of beating these encounters because of cheese...that only leads to people complaining that things are too hard again once the cheese gets fixed. I'm looking at you, eCC.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    icyclass said:

Players are all together so Goristro doesn't start strolling to the far side of the map looking for some HR while all of the melee classes try to chase after him.

Sometimes I hate HRs. Learn the difference between group play and solo play, dagnabbit!

• asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    Debuffs effect Goristros dmg from yellow portals. Aside from premades my easiest runs are with my rightous DC. TRs can use wicked reminder and the debuff at will, CWs RoE and HV, DCs DG, POD etc. The problem is, that most ppl focus on their own dps and ignore mechanics and buffs/ debuffs.

It is simple math and we had the same discussion when Tiamat was farmed. 20% more dmg from 10 players is better, than 50% more personal dps. I dont mind, to lose personal dps, if the boss melts like butter, bc the buffs/ debuffs are stacked sky high.

PPl complain about missing heal from DCs. If no one tanks Demo, I unslot the healing abilities on my DC bc I get his aggro just by using AS. I have a better utility from debuffing the mobs, than by spamming heals and AS on mobs and getting killed by Demos purple ray after 3 seconds.

It is possible to just dps him. We did EDeomo with 5 ppl premade, rightous DC, rene CW, SW, GWF, GF. We had more than 4 minutes left, when he died. Without certain sets it would take longer, but it would still be possible.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Goristro can be soloed by a GWF or a SW with the minimum iLVL for entry. In fact it's easy to solo, the hard part is getting the rest of the group to sit in the entry.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Also, when you happen to be a tank on Goristro - I mean when he targets you with his normal attacks, not the charge - try to position yourself on the other side of yellow portal, unlike everybody else and if you are targeted - run to the right side. This way you give combat advantage to everybody else in raid (doesnt apply to GF, since they do it by default with mark), but more important - frontal attacks of Goristo target only you, not everybody in its swipe range. The swipe can 1 shot squishy classes.
    Also, maybe its lag, but I think the falling boulders AoE range is higher than the red field beneath them - I was hit by them many times when I saw myself out of the range.
  • xveganroxxveganrox Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Sanity well isn't good, it's bad. Fight close to him on the side of the yellow portal. Even if you are on the wrong side it's easy to switch when he targets you. If you're in the sanity well and not a SW and he targets you with a north yellow portal, you're not going to make it.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Depending on your group composition, its possible to queue with 5 people and get it done really fast. Normally queue with myself (CW) a pve buffing GF, a righteous DC who is wearing the high prophet set, a MoF CW wearing the high vizier set and then a dps eg, a good GWF. We can normally get phase 2 done in under a minute with group compositions like that and phase 3 done in under 30 seconds. We don't bother aiming at the portals, we stand close to the sanity well so red always hits the camp then burst him down.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User

Depending on your group composition, its possible to queue with 5 people and get it done really fast. Normally queue with myself (CW) a pve buffing GF, a righteous DC who is wearing the high prophet set, a MoF CW wearing the high vizier set and then a dps eg, a good GWF. We can normally get phase 2 done in under a minute with group compositions like that and phase 3 done in under 30 seconds. We don't bother aiming at the portals, we stand close to the sanity well so red always hits the camp then burst him down.

If the rest does not screw up, a rightous DC, SW and one more dps are enough. When we went premade with a similar group compositon, as you posted, we either had ppl thanking us or got called cheaters and hackers. Our SW got several PMs calling him 'bug user' etc.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    asterotg said:

If the rest does not screw up, a rightous DC, SW and one more dps are enough. When we went premade with a similar group compositon, as you posted, we either had ppl thanking us or got called cheaters and hackers. Our SW got several PMs calling him 'bug user' etc.

If they want to complain that they got gold, then let them, it really doesn't need to deter you.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    asterotg said:

yeah, they called you cheaters and hackers, but twisted ichors warm them well in their pockets)))