test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gotta love serendipitous events

drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
edited November 2015 in PvP Discussion
After sitting forever in the GG queue... myself and 2 others entered the Dom queue as well. Never too sure what we are going to experience in Dom... we needed to do some kind of PvP.

So... Dom popped.
As usual I headed to 1 and the others headed to 2. I know what you will say, "only newbs head straight for 1." My response will be check my newbie <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out, while I play.
Lo and behold a name pops up with a head... and then it disappears. An old friend who I have not seen in a few months. BTW we were facing a premade. Needless to say this name killed me... and I stated with an '/s', "Long time no see". To which we started chatting via PM's... I went on to cap 3 while we were chatting and he was on the stairs at 3.

Long story short... we lost horribly but no one was pillaged into oblivion. We were allowed to score and the conversation continued... while doing so.

The moral of this little anecdote is when you are not an horse's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> during PvP and you interact like humans... fun can be found in a sound <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kicking. That <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kicking does not have to be painful.

This all started when the game was still in M6 and before. The outcome of that match was quite the opposite.

Not everyone in PvP is an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... not everyone in a PvP guild are asses. There is Honor among Thieves... well some thieves.​​
ez0sf4K.png
Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
SYNERGY Alliance

Comments

• vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    well, system this game is managed attract the worst of worst, nothing new. PVP guilds do it daily, so why should others be different. nothing to do with it
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    My guildies were amazed that there was some decency possible... in Dom. Especially delivered by a team that was clearly dominating. Had I not been there or the conversation started... it might have been different. My friend, and a connection that started a long time ago, may be the reason we did not get stomped.

Here is the difference, I am a competitor and I dislike losing... but I take it in stride because I am not as geared and I tend to PuG. Always a nice guy no matter what and that reflects back to me... when it does.

Abusers will be abusers... that will never change. Kindness and camaraderie that occurred months ago can still reflect back.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
    edited November 2015
    cryptic should remove that bloodthirsty achievement. Manys should be desperate to haunt kills because of it
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I always propose cap trade to let every player get a reward when my team wins clearly. When my team wins i also usually never chase non-fighting or losing enemies around to get a puny kill.
    And i can say for sure that players from Absolute and EoA, in my 2 years experience, are never kill-hungry or up to keep stomping losing pugs. And these are the only 2 "big" PvP guilds you can be pretty much sure never act shamefully.
    On the other side, there are plenty of wannabe top PvP guilds that might count powerful players in their ranks, but too bad most of them are sh*theads. And a very specific flower guild has the largest collection i met so far, of pugstomping kids and disrespectful players.
    Other big PvP guilds have their share of geared player who just enjoy stomping pugs and less geared players too. But that one, i'd almost call it "the pugstomping guild". It's like the opposite of a good PvP guild. May be the way they select members sucks or they just aim for very immature powerplayers. Best example was a 4.1k DC from this guild, corpsejumping my SW alt and saying that the lower the iLvL of the opponent, the better it was to corpsejump. It was a very "morbid" player.

Just today, again, was PvPing on my alt SW and got 2 different experiences:

1) GG PvP, enemy team wins, one 3k SW and an unknown GWF show up from enemy team. GWF attacks me, SW chills out and watch the 1v1, then we got a nice talk while waiting for the end of the match.
    Or a CW, again, on winning side, stopped near me and asked me for a 1v1. Too bad after the 1v1 other players arrived and swarmed me as soon as they saw me standing there, doing nothing.

2) Domination match. Usual matchmaking puts an average 2.2-2.8k team vs a (premade?) group of 3.5k-4k enemies. A couple from the flower guild mentioned above. Full pugstomp and spawn-camping till the end, to make sure we stayed at 0 points with no reward.

Obviously, the same players that love to just humiliate a losing enemy, are also the ones that rage and quit when they end up in a losing team, the times they can't grab some geared mates to go pugstomping.

Way to go.

This is how cryptic wants PvP in this game. The playground of immature pugstompers.

More players should join the PvP channel and help the community of "regular" players organize and leave the pugstompers without their beloved toy. Too few joined and the channel is often inactive.
    edited November 2015
    pando83 said:

And i can say for sure that players from Absolute and EoA, in my 2 years experience, are never kill-hungry or up to keep stomping losing pugs. And these are the only 2 "big" PvP guilds you can be pretty much sure never act shamefully.

man this is a joke, you cant be serious right? ))))

they are not among the worst for some time, but they are still .... . From the last time i remember well their bis premade at GG, oneshotting and real kill-hungry to the last minute. and they participate at spawn camping too. remember one month ago even jump into our spawn..

• pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    Was talking about my experience. I never met an Absolute member that refused to cap trade. I obviously didn't meet all of them but so far, everytime i met half-premades or groups of said guilds, once you say gg/ they see match is hopeless, they always allow the enemy to get the points needed for reward. Which is something i always do when i win.

Some of them however wait for an explicit "gg" in say chat to stop attacking.

If i have to name the best (in my experience) guild when it comes to behaviour in PvP, i say Absolute. Others might have members that don't always act in the most fair way possible. But i can't recall meeting an Absolute member that insulted, corpsejumped or enjoyed stomping/ humiliating the enemies or the allies.

As the OP said, even if current PvP allows for pugstomping/ lack of balance and HAMSTER-whooping, it makes a ton of difference when both groups can just avoid acting like sh*theads. Which means avoid insulting/ raging at someone who is winning, and avoid humiliating a losing enemy or trolling them.
    I sometimes argue with players who corpsejump or act like sh*theads, but lately i started to just put them in ignore and forget about them.

One of the orst things is the fact that PvP has a matchmaking, but allows for premades mixed with solo queue. Which basically is the best way to say "we have a matchmaking that is aimed at balancing the PvP experience, but we give players the choice to just sh*t on it by forming pugstomping premades or half/ partial premades".

In current PvP even if just a couple of 4k players decide to queue together, it happens more often than not that in a mix of 2.2-3k players, the team with the couple of 4kers gets a huge advantage.

A way to start balancing PvP would be to FORCE solo queue in Domination and GG. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons why ELO doesn't work here is because well, players can 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x team up, which basically HAMSTER up the whole concept behind a matchmaking system.
    well, all i can say is you are extremely lucky. you will learn a hard way. not everybody should be your chat friend in there
  • icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    I can't comment for US Timezone players as I normally only get to play with them on weekend, however during weekdays I haven't noticed any Absolute members corpse jumping or continue to stomp on losing teams (unless they have personal problem with some player in particular...) If you notice such a behavior, then I welcome you to report it to our guild's officer or even PM me the name so I can speak to them about it, after all, a game is a game, everyone deserve respects. :)
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
    icyphish said:

I can't comment for US Timezone players as I normally only get to play with them on weekend, however during weekdays I haven't noticed any Absolute members corpse jumping or continue to stomp on losing teams (unless they have personal problem with some player in particular...) If you notice such a behavior, then I welcome you to report it to our guild's officer or even PM me the name so I can speak to them about it, after all, a game is a game, everyone deserve respects. :)

fair enough, dont take long ))

what is the officer handle to write to?

I will update you on the handle after I finish work and got back home :)
    vinceent1 said:

icyphish said:

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
    The premade was from EoA... and since I am friends with some of the founders and officers of Gutbusters and Absolute... I am not worried about abuse.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I haven't seen much dickish behaviour from Absolute members. Some of them queue solo to avoid pug stomping, which is more than can be said of most PVP guilds.

There's one very active guild in particular that seems to do little but griefing, always queuing in threes to avoid facing high geared premades, always zerging, always stomping on people who are just trying to cap and generally being total dicks. It seems most of the worst at least congregate.
    edited November 2015
    Removed moderated quote

haha, of course not all as i write before, if you can read. but many encounters reminds me regurarly what group they are over time. dont worry, i will keep you updated, cant wait

Post edited by kreatyve on
  • ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    It's always problem of generalization. Each guild contains of good manner people and simply idiots.
    What I can say - I'm pvping last days much more than usually - about 20+ matches in evening. And for sure - top PVP guilds should care more about culture (including mine and me personally). We are few pvping on decent lvl nowadays ;)
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

Flynn is probably the best person to speak to, send her an email or msg to @momnipotent :)
    vinceent1 said:

icyphish said:

icyphish said:

Flynn is probably the best person to speak to, send her an email or msg to @momnipotent :)

vinceent1 said:

icyphish said:

ok, spread the sign of interest on forum is good step, it will be considered to your good in the future

• kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    ...and here I thought this thread was about My Little Ponies or something...
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    Do you really think that a thread I created would be about My Little Ponies?

I am hoping tht I do not act like a "Brony".​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
    edited November 2015
    kweassa said:

...and here I thought this thread was about My Little Ponies or something...

no, this thread is completely serious, only written in "familiar" language. i am little bit surprised by this activity, i will help them clean their guild ))

• bwowmpbwowmp Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 81 Arc User
    Sorry for wall-o-text. It's what I do.

I was in the match described here with the OP...my guildie. We were three and went into Dom for a semi-PuG with two randoms after waiting nearly a half hour for GG to pop. It went just as related. And I was not taken aback at all to see humanity and civility in PvP. It is much like life here in the real world where I spend most of my day. Some great people around, and some jerks.

I PvP a ton. Have been running more Dom lately, as I'm finding more and more success there now that I am finally past 3K IL. Also, I am finding more good behaviour than some would have you believe. It is more tangible in the smaller venue of Domination than in the broader chaos of GG or SH PvP.

I always give quarter when someone declares "gg" and wants to cap. Sometimes, if I am pugging, my teammates do not honor this. I'll try to shout them down. Not trying to be some sort of white knight...merely decent.

I will readily call "gg" if losing at the midpoint of a match to such a degree that the match has become a stomp. Nine times out of ten, I find that the opposition will respond favorably to this. Also...if the opposition is not a premade, there is often one bad actor who will continue to stomp for sheets and grins. Thus is life. When this happens, a teammate is usually screaming at them "Let them cap". In my experience, more often than not, this person acting honorably and trying to shout their teammates down is from one of the guilds discussed above.

I find it interesting in this thread that folks are calling out PvP guilds by name. Both to accuse and defend. My two cents...members of these guilds mentioned above tend act honorably if given the opportunity. If I am pugging and getting stomped, they'll let me cap. If my teammates fail to fall into line and keep attacking, I could end up getting wrecked for it. Again, thus is life. Oh well...

An important dynamic in PvP which no one seems to talk about much is this...people respond to just you as you would expect, depending on how you behave. If you are in Dom or GG a lot, people begin to recognize you and know your name. So I have found that it pays tremendous benefits to tell people when they have a great performance, compliment them on a fantastic kill or holding a node, and to call them out when they are acting like jerks. If someone stomps me into oblivion, my ego has no problem allowing me to send a tell letting them know how freaking awesome and OP they are without kissing their rear. I have no problem boosting my teammate by telling them how glad I am not to be fighting against them, since they wrecked me in the last match. All of this earns respect if communicated properly, and when dealing with rational adults (which admittedly, is not always the case), it builds goodwill.

And this goes SO far in building your brand. I'm a mid-level HR. Have some good days in PvP. Some very, very bad. But I remember well when I was getting consistently stomped into paste as a 2k player in level 70 PvP. And I kept coming back for more, over and over and over. So last weekend, I absolutely wrecked a 2200 IL HR in Dom. Repeatedly. And before the match was done, I sent him a tell complimenting him on what he had done well, and telling him to tough it out...that it is great fun and eventually gets better. He will remember me later, and I would wager that it will be in a positive light. It cost me nothing, and who knows what it might yield down the road. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

We really can't take this stuff so seriously and we should all try not to be so freaking heavy and grim about it. This is a game, after all.

So short story long...if we could all treat each other with a little dignity, act like adults, and just enjoy ripping each other into tiny, bloody pieces, PvP would be a much more inviting and rewarding place for all. Player base would expand, game would remain healthy, and everyone would prosper. Though it would never show up on a leaderboard, this would be a true win for all.

One can dream....
    I second what my guildie said. The funny thing is... that he and I cut our teeth together with many of the players we have been facing... so many months ago. We were in different guilds, but we had mutual respect and decency for all of the other players who were usually being stomped along with us.

As morenthar said... I expect some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when I kill someone. A Scoundrel is a different TR than most people face on a regular basis. I one-shot a low iL TR and a GWF who did not heal before he met me... then I decimated a under-skilled CW who bitched about my being OP... at 2.75 iL. That makes Scoundrel smile. I do not give a spit about what others say or do to me in a match. I am so damned focused on scoring... that nothing matters to me but that. I only care bout the final score and how many points I scored.

In fact, when the match ended I was kicking the hell out of a GWF who occasionally dwells in the PvP forums. Had I not left... they would have died.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I don't see much of this honour and great behaviour in dom.

Earlier today I was in a match, and one minute after starting, the flower guild member on my team called our team something fairly abusive and quit. I think it was because the other team had a couple of 4k people on it and ours had a couple of 2ks in it. They weren't doing anything wrong.

As ever, the rest was spent trading caps. I can't actually remember the last dom game I had that wasn't spent doing this, and I tend to play 2-3 a day.
    Yeah, because I know what 'serendipitous' means.

I was also describing how if you are not a PoS during the matches you can actually generate a positive out of a negative. Because you will leave a lasting memory and develop a possible friendship.

If I did not explain the situation clearly enough... the match developed into the final result... due to my previous actions. The person I treated with kindness and respect during a potential stomping... returned the favor and quite possibly will continue to do so with groups I am in.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    People would be more inclined to read this topic and possibly decide it might be worth trying if it was more about the serendipitous event than being a self-centered topic about the person who supposedly was the reason why it occurred.
  • oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    drkbodhi said:

After sitting forever in the GG queue... myself and 2 others entered the Dom queue as well. Never too sure what we are going to experience in Dom... we needed to do some kind of PvP.

So... Dom popped.

As usual I headed to 1 and the others headed to 2. I know what you will say, "only newbs head straight for 1." My response will be check my newbie HAMSTER out, while I play.

Lo and behold a name pops up with a head... and then it disappears. An old friend who I have not seen in a few months. BTW we were facing a premade. Needless to say this name killed me... and I stated with an '/s', "Long time no see". To which we started chatting via PM's... I went on to cap 3 while we were chatting and he was on the stairs at 3.

Long story short... we lost horribly but no one was pillaged into oblivion. We were allowed to score and the conversation continued... while doing so.

The moral of this little anecdote is when you are not an horse's HAMSTER during PvP and you interact like humans... fun can be found in a sound HAMSTER kicking. That HAMSTER kicking does not have to be painful.

This all started when the game was still in M6 and before. The outcome of that match was quite the opposite.

Not everyone in PvP is an HAMSTER... not everyone in a PvP guild are asses. There is Honor among Thieves... well some thieves.​​

Yeah, NW community is actually great. Great helpful people in the forums, and online so many players will not hesitate to help you. Sometimes you get that one player who will complain about party in pvp, but that's very rare these day. Maybe weeded out due to the changes lol.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
    edited November 2015
    It is a post about how the willingness to never be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, which is something we support as a guild, where ever we find ourselves. This is how we all play the game. It is about how those ripples come back and deliver the same experience back.

This is about how the events unfolded due to the experiences of everyone in the match. Those ripples will spread out and others will potentially be moved to the same actions. Which oddly enough is not a new thing... it is called good sportsmanship.

This is about how the actions of one can effect the actions of others. How the actions of many can possibly effect the the rest of the game.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance