test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The best idea I've heard...

guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
edited November 2015 in The Foundry
While reading through some posts... I found the most brilliant suggestion I've heard concerning this game. Why don't they just stop making game content entirely.. no more adventures from PWE/Cryptic. Take those resources and get people working on the foundry... and let US create the adventures.. ours are better anyways. If we had the proper tools... we would create terrific content. Thanks go to 'redfireee' for the best suggestion I've heard concerning this game and the foundry.

Comments

• rezuron#1946 rezuron Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Hey GameCrew! Listen to this guy!
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Yea.. no. Bad idea. You think we have problems with exploits and bots now? Wait until these folks post their own bot-bait quests with skill nodes and chests and continually grind them. Nopedy, nopedy nope.

There has to be some 'adult supervision' of the content in the game. I liked the featured and Daily AD-eligible system they had in place, with a couple tweaks.

But, on the whole something needs to be done to encourage creation and playing of crowd-sourced content. It would even be nice to have co-authoring available, if you have a guild member that's a great map editor that can give your custom map some tweaks before you publish..
    Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

• rezuron#1946 rezuron Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Hey, wait. We are not saying "Dragons or Die", "We want more stuff to collect!", "I want to create super op weapon and kill them all!".
    We, wait, just me. I want better tools to creat better stories and tales.
    For example - devs should allow us to change the radius of sounds. Not only radius but volume and other things there. I had idea to create hints using sound to guide player where he should go(Like in the labirynth). But i can't. Hmm... Nevertheless in Unity i have created this little app, cuz there are Tools.

Now you see? In this thinking is no trick to get power and boost my character. Actually Dragons are fun, but be realistic. To forge good adventure you need minimum one boss. Hey, i can not create one (of course i can do this little magic, change view and pretend that my little boss isn't frost giant). Dragons would be perfect solution, because I know we shouldn't have power to create our own creatures and theirs tactics (Then there will be guys creating weak, super weak creatures with high reward in exp.).

I don't want machine gun. Just hammer and nails please.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User

Hey, wait. We are not saying "Dragons or Die", "We want more stuff to collect!", "I want to create super op weapon and kill them all!".

For example - devs should allow us to change the radius of sounds. Not only radius but volume and other things there. I had idea to create hints using sound to guide player where he should go(Like in the labirynth). But i can't. Hmm... Nevertheless in Unity i have created this little app, cuz there are Tools.

Now you see? In this thinking is no trick to get power and boost my character. Actually Dragons are fun, but be realistic. To forge good adventure you need minimum one boss. Hey, i can not create one (of course i can do this little magic, change view and pretend that my little boss isn't frost giant). Dragons would be perfect solution, because I know we shouldn't have power to create our own creatures and theirs tactics (Then there will be guys creating weak, super weak creatures with high reward in exp.).

Endless threads on this very subject - what Foundry should have and doesn't.
    We've never seen anything (to my knowledge) added as a result of those threads.

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    We've offered to even "help" create content that the devs could then "polish" and turn into Cryptic released content. Things like PvP arenas, Skirmishes, Events, etc.

Crickets.

They're just waiting for the last of the authors to give up so they can turn it off and stop supporting it.​​
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User

Endless threads on this very subject - what Foundry should have and doesn't.
    We've never seen anything (to my knowledge) added as a result of those threads.

I started this thread because I saw a comment that I thought could use a bit of discussion. It was not my intent to start a wish-list for the foundry, but only to talk about this thought a bit.
    eldarth said:

We've offered to even "help" create content that the devs could then "polish" and turn into Cryptic released content. Things like PvP arenas, Skirmishes, Events, etc.

Crickets.

They're just waiting for the last of the authors to give up so they can turn it off and stop supporting it.​​

Well...Speaking for myself, although the foundry is not perfect (not nearly), until some other game comes up with something better ... this is the best (only) system around for building adventures. The toolset needs a lot of work, but we can still build some amazing quests with the foundry. I can't help but notice that even though the devs have many more options available to them (ie.. a better toolset).. their adventures seem a little shallow... In fact, in many cases their work is rather poor, compared to the work of many foundry authors. If they could just give us a better tool ..... Perhaps some other company will realize the potential of such a toolset ... this company sure implied that's what they were going to do. If you look at any of the original reviews or videos about Neverwinter Online... you will see that the Foundry was a crucial part of the product. It didn't take them long to forget that fact... once they had people spending money I suppose they figured they had 'em. And, I suppose once you have made an investment of cash into a game.. you will keep playing no matter how bad the game gets.. you've already spent your money. It just seems so wrong to advertise one thing.. then just ignore it after people have spent their money. For matters of cost effectiveness, the foundry seems like it could be a real cash-cow... it this company would only implement it correctly.
    Well...Speaking for myself, although the foundry is not perfect (not nearly), until some other game comes up with something better ... this is the best (only) system around for building adventures.

*cough* SCL *cough*​​
  • kellnaforiankellnaforian Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I agree with most everything you say here in the forums, Eldarth, but in my opinion SCL (currently) is more limited than this toolset. There are some positives, but this is still a better tool. However, SCL is newer and will hopefully get more attention and end up to be a better tool than what we have here. Sadly, Aurora is still my all time favorite...again just an opinion.
    Campaign: Lands of Mirent Tusk
    NWS-DITF6RXSK - All Daily Qualified

Q1 - Dungeons of Mirent Tusk - 16 minutes Featured
    Q2 - The Legend of Prince Brightblade - 30+m
    Q3 - The Legend of The Lady - 30m
    Q4 - Finding the Way -20m
    Q5 - King Mirent Tusk - 50m
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    SCL doesn't come close to the foundry in map making so far, unless they change their stance on having only randome generated interiors and just preset exteriors, it won't make a difference.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    reiwulf wrote: »
    SCL doesn't come close to the foundry in map making so far, unless they change their stance on having only randome generated interiors and just preset exteriors, it won't make a difference.

Stay tuned. Tile-by-tile is on the hot list and coming in rapidly -- likely early December.​​
    How much does SCL cost?
    edited November 2015
    How much does SCL cost?
    $40. https://swordcoast.com/buynow

Tools are still lacking but company is actually listening and has a great roadmap of future plans.​​
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    in fallout4 you can build settlements and trade routes and build towns ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
    I'll wait a bit before I spend any money....