test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is the Foundry dead?

richarddalamirricharddalamir Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Okay, first off, I'm not actually saying this as a question. I am well aware that Foundry fans and authors (like myself and many others) have been getting really mad lately due to Cryptic's apparent disregard for the Foundry and the authors that have built it. It's been down for who knows how long, and Cryptic hasn't given us any responses. As I saw on a comment earlier, "Cryptic always answers the pleas of PvE and PvP players, but seem to be dismissing the Foundry authors." They are your friends, Cryptic! Do you really not care about the people who are devoting their time and effort to making your game better?

I mean, when the Foundry does come back, how many of us will be disappointed if they haven't added anything new? Why can't we have Dragonborn in our quests? Why can't we have a boss system? We need to be shown that you think we matter!

*eh-em* Okay, I think I'm done ranting.

But seriously Cryptic, we love this game. Show us that you care too. And yes, I know the Foundry isn't dead.
I don't know what I'm doing.

A House Divided [NW-DPF5SD98R] (Take sides in the nefarious drow houses to stop a malevolent plot.) /Not the best lore accuracy./
* Currently working on and off with a new campaign. *

Comments

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    I'd say so. Foundry should have been its saving grace, its the most notable mention in reviews. Theres a recent one here by a humorous fellow....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7Hr0IdrUY

It's a shame the devs can't figure out how to make it important, content saver.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    If they actually did something awesome like spend some $ on a foundry developer, I'd definitely come back too this game. However with the launch of Sword Coast Legends... I doubt they will even attempt too compete. It's completely unfortunate that Perfect World has the reputation that it does, but they are known for milking out already completed games.... not for developing new ones.

The foundry had so much potential, that it actually hurt me when I realized they were trash-canning it. Too bad.

I've moved on too Roll20.net for online D&D, as NWO has become stale and unsupported.

I do come back to check if they hired an actual foundry DEV once in a while. Obviously.... my hope is futile.
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I actually think that the foundry is far better than the SCL DM tools, but only, and if only, the SCL team, put a "bit" of love in their DM tools, we'll see super-hyper-mega-amazing things. I can't wait to play it!!

Meanwhile here, the foundry will die in a sad and putrid way...

38 days with the foundry down and not a single word from Cryptic... And they ask to go ViP?
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    myrkolithmyrkolith Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Yeah they need to step up and give some answers, with new options available for builders they will lose a ton of us and our money when we leave, it's up to them to pick up the ball they dropped for so long now...
    Conduit of Time: 7 Chapter Campaign in progress (Currently Chapter 6 Released)
    Search @Longshire for 12 Foundry Quests, all are story driven adventures
    Story -- Medium/Heavy, Combat -- Light/Medium, Lore -- Medium/Heavy
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    at its current state SCL isn't a good option for me. randomly generated maps is really not what I want.
    however if they do add a more in depth map creation tool I will probably get it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    My lack of activity has been due more to lack of available time than disinterest, and I would pop in every month or so to tweak things or play around with assets. However on returning last week, I found the oft-friendly Foundry button dim. That may be the final nail in my NW coffin.

While I don't see SCL as a direct replacement to the Foundry, it might just scratch the itch my creativity has for a storytelling outlet. Even if it is moving from Oil Paints to Crayola.
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    If "its dead" and if "will i feel disappointed if no improvement will come" (and an additional assets, read details or sounds, is not an improvement to me) would be the question, i would answer no, simply because twas already clearly stated the foundry is done as it is (since sharandar module, which came with only improvement since open beta, some "bugfixes" excluded).

As for SCL, as far as i noticed its the same thing as NW Foundry, with one huge exception: NW Foundry actually allows level design in terms of asset positioning, allowing to design, to an extent, almost any kind of level (and multilevel area), being it an exterior or interior, kind of a teraforming included. If SCL wont be at least half as powerful as Aurora engine tool (NWN), tmay end up being even worse than what we have got here. But i wont probably even try it, simply because that level of multimedia is behind us (or me) - twill probably be a nice platform for tabletop parties, with active GM-ing.

edit: dont get me wrong, currently the Foundry is one of the last things keeping me here, "under picture state pvp-ing opportunity" being another, for there is nothing else RP or D/D-wise left;
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    To answer the original poster's question.... apparently, yes.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Please continue to use the other thread. No need for multiple threads discussing the same topic. Thanks!

I'll see what I can find out about the Foundry and when I do, I'll post about it there.
This discussion has been closed.