test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Unofficial Lag Fix (Conflicting Pref Files from Prior Mods)

mysticmarksmysticmarks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
For anyone having issues with neverwinter lagging there have been file structure changes to the game that aren't addressed properly by patching.

TO FIX THIS DO THE FOLLOWING:

navigate to these two file locations and delete the "GamePref.pref" file in each.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\localdata

C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Live\localdata

restart the client and force verify the game. You will have to reset your display settings completely. First set your display size and set the mode to window maximized. This change may make your mouse not move over a portion of the game screen. If this happens, simply ALT+F4 to close the client and on restarting the game you will be able to continue with adjusting your graphics. Adjust to taste or system recommendations.

On a further note. The main settings to turn down before others are in order as follows:

1. World and texture detail distance- rendering is bubble based. small changes in radial rendering distance are MASSIVE increases to hardware requirements. Before reducing quality of anything else, turn these down one level at a time together.

2. Physical debris objects. It's literally what it says. Ground trash that you kick. Its a massive increase to render processing. Turn this down to between 8-16 for any setup. Its just not needed to have turned up.

3. Lastly, shadows. turning shadows down allows you to leave vivid imagery turned up as shadows are essentially a full secondary render. It's the smallest sacrifice to visual quality.

All of these things will amount to a far better quality of game. **you can turn back on mission tracker after you return to game if you disabled this visual element.** Enjoy.
Sometimes you're your own best teacher. ~Me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    This is not a solution to the FPS drop. You are telling people to delete their configs and restarting the game. The reason this "looks" like it fixes it is because the only known way to get rid of the memory leak once it starts getting unbearable is to relaunch the game to flush the ram. Your method does not work, its simply added fluff to the only known way to correct the leak. Disabling the mission tracker simply delays how long it takes for a system to become lagged out.
  • mysticmarksmysticmarks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    kitkathd said:

This is not a solution to the FPS drop. You are telling people to delete their configs and restarting the game. The reason this "looks" like it fixes it is because the only known way to get rid of the memory leak once it starts getting unbearable is to relaunch the game to flush the ram. Your method does not work, its simply added fluff to the only known way to correct the leak. Disabling the mission tracker simply delays how long it takes for a system to become lagged out.

I'm aware of the slow leak claims. This addresses another issue entirely. A multitude of issues can plague one person, for others it may only be one. Addressing the conflicting configurations can and does fix the issue for many. Any FPS drop can be indicative of a multitude of issues; ISP throttling, Peak load usage, inappropriate firewall settings; both pc and modem, render settings in both graphics cards and game settings, and a variety of other possible issues. What I'm addressing here is a definitve issue that can and does resolve the problem for people that do not have most or any other configuration, hardware, or neworking errors. Having multiple preference files has and does cause conflict. Without an indepth investigation of your personal situation, I can't determine your issues. THIS ISSUE definitely resolves the problem for me and others. It's easy to say a "memory leak" is the culprit, but being a computing and design professional for over 20 years has also revealed that often "memory leaks" can and are client side configuration issues or a fault in the physical memory of the machine. Gaming is a memory intensive process and can burn memory sticks out quickly. You can run bad memory for years and not know it's damaged. In fact, much of the memory manufactured has an allowable amount of fault. This applies to usb storage as well. If you'd like help with checking a wider range of issues, feel free to message me. For many others, this will make them happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    This is a FYI post.

For those who installed using steam like I did, the GamePref.pref file is in the directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Localdata

I have not seen any copy of that file name. I assume I do not have this particular problem.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User

This is a FYI post.

For those who installed using steam like I did, the GamePref.pref file is in the directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Localdata

I have not seen any copy of that file name. I assume I do not have this particular problem.

The second file was for preview shard. This does nothing for the game that resetting the graphics doesn't already do from inside the game. The only reason it looks like it does something for the FPS drop is because relaunching the game resets the leak to bearable levels.
    edited August 2015
    If you don't have a dump file showing a specific heap stack overflow for a set thread, then you can not just call it memory leak. Do you have that data? I examined the thread data and found no leak; this does not mean that other hardware won't. Please, share your data.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2015

This is a FYI post.

I haven't installed the game with steam, so I can not verify if you do or do not have a second pref file that may cause any issues. Based on the lack of a duplicate, I would say no. Most likely you have another issue. However, I have spoken to 4 individuals that have installed with steam prior to this module that had huge issues with logging in following a module update in the past. One gave up from frustration. 2 of the others reinstalled with arc and that solved their issues. The last never gave me an update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2015
    kitkathd said:

This is a FYI post.

The second file was for preview shard. This does nothing for the game that resetting the graphics doesn't already do from inside the game. The only reason it looks like it does something for the FPS drop is because relaunching the game resets the leak to bearable levels.
    That is incorrect. There is another "localdata" folder containing a gamepref.pref file for the test server located within the "playtest"directory. located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Playtest\localdata on a standard installation
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2015
    kitkathd said:

This is a FYI post.

****UPDATE****

Deeper investigation of the client launcher has located multiple errors that need to be addressED. The arc launcher is 100% clean, the client launcher is not. My apologies to kitkathd, there are in fact errors in the application that need to be corrected! (this duplicate file error should still be checked and fixed)
    Post edited by mysticmarks on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]