test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is item level calculated?

plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
It is not about if iLevel matters because it does not. However, I would like to know what the equation is.
I have just noticed something that I can't figure out why.
I have found out my iLevel is higher than another player who has much better gear than I am.
He has a full 4 T2 purple pieces and I have only 3 T1 blue and a pre-T1 blue.
He has 4 legendary level items (main hand, off hand, neck and one artifact). I has only one legendary item, an artifact.
His enchantments are all rank 8. Same for me.
He has personal rings. Same for me.
I believe every individual piece he has is better than mine.
So, how can my iLevel be slighter better than his? His item level should be a mile ahead from mine.

Mine is a GWF and his is a DC but that should not matter.

The calculation is just weird in my opinion. Again, I am not talking about if iLevel matters to the play.
*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Comments

• Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    Do you have armor reinforcing items?

I have seen a TR in my guild, who I have destroyed in PvP, who has a higher iL than I do, and he had mostly blues.

Seriously they never explained it.

Boons and Companions used to matter when calculating GS, the iL predecessor. Companion gear and companions MAY have something to do with iL.

No one has ever fully explained it.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    Did they have their back to the door? Does their name consist of an odd number of letters? Remember on Fridays blue items are wild and can count as 1 or 11.
  • Options
    zukn75 wrote: »
    Did they have their back to the door? Does their name consist of an odd number of letters? Remember on Fridays blue items are wild and can count as 1 or 11.

Also... did they just come away from a campfire?
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    drkbodhi wrote: »

Also... did they just come away from a campfire?
    Both of us are standing on the camp fire. However, I don't think camp fire changes item level. Does it?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Do you have armor reinforcing items?

I have one +25 power that I obtained from one of the very early quest (and forgot about it). I just put that in just for the heck of it. I don't think one +25 reinforce item makes the difference. At least, I hope it does not.
  • Options

It is still Thursday. :)
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    TIL (Total Item Level) is very inacurate in every respect and has in the endgame also a dininishing return point.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    Let’s compare two characters: The first is an average character with at 2,500 ilvl with 5 offensive and 4 defense slots. With rank 7 enchantments the char would get 1,710 stat points and 288 ilvl. A BiS character has 7 offensive and 6 defensive slots (thanks to legendary Artifact Gear) and rank 12s are worth 9,100 stat points. That’s more than 5,3 times of the stats of an average char, but the ilvl comes in at +1066, merely 3,7 times as much. The ilvl has diminishing returns, it’s value decreases with increasing ranks. Also dual event enchantments do share the same ilvl, but have +20% more stats.

That’s why item level does not accurately represent the power gap and hides its inherent paywall. New players could see a difference of 400 in ilvl and think it’s not major or easy to reach while in fact the other one almost deals twice as much damage and is far better.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    Even with diminishing return, the better gear character should still have higher item level than lower gear character.
    In my case, it is reversed. That is why I cannot make sense out of it.
    Again, my point is not about the usefulness of item level. As I said, it is not.
    I just cannot understand why my obviously worse gear character has higher item level than an obviously better gear character.

I guess I cannot get my answer easily because I did not write down the exact detail and just did a visual comparison.
    Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    Once in band camp...

No, seriously, I was part of a guild run for eLoL we added an OP who just hopped on. His iL was at 1801, but it needed to be 2k. So he went to his main and switched enchants. I believe the enchants were all r7 or 8, before they were r5. With in a couple of minutes his iL went from 1801 to just over 2k.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    Item level should just be the sum of the Item levels of all of your equipment plus the item levels of all of the enchantments (including reinforcement kits) on that equipment.

• Options
    I do not think there is a definitive answer without Cryptic coming out here and telling us how it is calculated. I have seen a lot of TRs with higher iL that I have... which is mid 2.2k... with all blue gear and artis. I am sporting all purple gear with blue artis and r7s and r8s.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    I do not think there is a definitive answer without Cryptic coming out here and telling us how it is calculated. I have seen a lot of TRs with higher iL that I have... which is mid 2.2k... with all blue gear and artis. I am sporting all purple gear with blue artis and r7s and r8s.

I thought Cryptic has just came out in the post before you to say that is the way. Believe it or not is different story.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

You should read the post immediately above yours....
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options

You should read the post immediately above yours....

This lovely forum set up does not load every new comment when I re-enter a thread. Apologies, but I know for a fact that what he said is not how it is adding up.

4 pieces at 130iL, or is Grim 125, with r7 enchants, blue artis and each piece is reinforced with a min of 50.
    vs
    4 pieces of 137il with r7 and r8 enchants, blue artis and each piece is reinforced with a min of 50.

520 for the gear... add 4 r7s, add 3 50 reinforces and 1 100. add 4 70 blue artis
    vs
    548 for the gear... add 3 r7s and 1 r8, add 2 50 reinforces and 2 100, add 4 70 blue artis

The bottom one SHOULD be higher... but these are the EXACT items that another TR in CA had at the time. My numbers are the bottom... his iL was higher. It was at 2.3+ and mine is mid 2.2.

Tell me this... how does that work with what was stated?
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    You didn't list the utility enchants, which can add a lot, even though they don't matter.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    One way to verify it is to use the provided information to calculate our item level by adding up all the "item level" to see if that matches what the game tells us. If that 2 numbers do not match, it means we are missing something and/or Cryptic did not tell us everything.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    You didn't list the utility enchants, which can add a lot, even though they don't matter.

All my utility enchants are Dark r7s, his were exactly the same. I did not share them because those specific items are exactly the same. In fact besides the 4 pieces our gear was identical... but he had the higher iL... and I had the better gear.
    Or the Weapon and Armor Enchants.
    ​​

He had a vorpal and a lesser soulforged... I have a lesser vorpal and a sf.

That being the case the numbers should be almost identical... not 100+ points in his favor. Honestly IDC what a person iL is... in fact it really doesn't matter in the game. 3.5k players still get one shot in a DD run, just like I do. I have fought vs some players with 3.5k and higher... and kicked their butts in PvP and in DPS.

So WHY even bother with iL or GS or anything like that?
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    The OP has his question accurate defined. Many answers in this threads just complicated the problem. The easiest thing to check is that people try to compute their own item level, then check if it consists with the number showed. If all are true, nothing can be wrong. I am going to check my item level tomorrow.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User

All my utility enchants are Dark r7s, his were exactly the same. I did not share them because those specific items are exactly the same. In fact besides the 4 pieces our gear was identical... but he had the higher iL... and I had the better gear.
    ​​

That being the case the numbers should be almost identical... not 100+ points in his favor. Honestly IDC what a person iL is... in fact it really doesn't matter in the game. 3.5k players still get one shot in a DD run, just like I do. I have fought vs some players with 3.5k and higher... and kicked their butts in PvP and in DPS.

​​

​​

Item levels just provide a measure. Nobody think better item level means better dps or pvp performance. But it is a measure. U don't use it, then why u remember u beat a guy with 3.5k item level. I also played many pvp, never checked their item level. But I do use it as a measure as it defined.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    flyingleon wrote: »
    Item levels just provide a measure. Nobody think better item level means better dps or pvp performance. But it is a measure. U don't use it, then why u remember u beat a guy with 3.5k item level. I also played many pvp, never checked their item level. But I do use it as a measure as it defined.

I look because they usually have a glowing weapon and they have a trans negation animation flying around them. I also look to measure my ability to kill a character in PvP. I do not always look, unless I am alone on a node with their body... and no one is trying to kill me.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Okay, I calculated my own gear. I got the number 2613. The posted number is 2628. The difference is 15.
    However, I did not add the item level from the +25 reenforce because the system does not show its item level.
    I also did not add 2 overload enchantment (again, the system does not their item level if there is any).

Hence, I think the Cryptic provided method seems to be correct.

In this process, I think I may find the reason why my character's item level is higher than the other guy. I could have beaten his iLevel by the underwear. The level 70 purple underwear is item level 140+. The level 60 purple underwear is 80+.
    The other guy may have level 60 purple underwear. That could explain why my item level is higher than his.
  • Options
    Fancy underwear is important
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance