test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance Feedback

myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)

I know for a fact that the maintenance time has not hit at exactly the same time each time. One time I remember it did not start until 10 minutes AFTER the communicated time. I do not remember a trend of "the Gateway closes 5 minutes before the game" type of scenario.

Also, I only "waited" until the "last minute" because I was busy at work and was not able to access the Gateway for a break until 10 minute before the communicated time.

The point of this discussion is that maintenance should occur as close to the communicated time as possible and NEVER close early - this includes the Gateway. This way, no player can ever feel "slighted" by an early shut down for maintenance. This is my feedback.
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    So far, I've never seen it early. Today, it was a minute late even. If you thought it was early, you might want to check your clocks. As well, in all my years, I have never seen an MMO have maintenance on the dot, it's always a minute or two early or late, which is understandable if one considers technological and human equations.

So, my feedback on this topic is that I don't see any issues myself. Seems perfectly fine to me.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    I really did see it start 10 minutes late once . . .

But I'd never start it early under any circumstances as there is likely a player or two that is hurrying to finish something and then "bam!" When in doubt, start a minute or two late would be my mantra. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    zebular wrote: »
    As well, in all my years, I have never seen an MMO have maintenance on the dot, it's always a minute or two early or late, which is understandable if one considers technological and human equations.

You obviously never played WoW. Maintenance there was always on the dot. You got a timer warning you every five minutes until the final countdown IIRC. But then Blizzard techies actually knew what they were doing :p
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    As well, in all my years, I have never seen an MMO have maintenance on the dot, it's always a minute or two early or late, which is understandable if one considers technological and human equations.

You obviously never played WoW. Maintenance there was always on the dot. You got a timer warning you every five minutes until the final countdown IIRC. But then Blizzard techies actually knew what they were doing :p

I actually played WoW for years, and no you're wrong. While they were always within a minute, they were not always on the dot. They'd be late by anywhere between 10-60 seconds. Better than any other game, yet but on the dot, no. I remember one time the last server shutdown message repeated twice but shut down on the second one right away, which would have made it a minute late.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,207 Arc User
    So far, I've never seen it early. Today, it was a minute late even. If you thought it was early, you might want to check your clocks. As well, in all my years, I have never seen an MMO have maintenance on the dot, it's always a minute or two early or late, which is understandable if one considers technological and human equations.

So, my feedback on this topic is that I don't see any issues myself. Seems perfectly fine to me.

Are you talking about the game? Or, are you talking about Gateway? Gateway was shut down early today.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited July 2015
    plasticbat wrote: »

Are you talking about the game? Or, are you talking about Gateway? Gateway was shut down early today.
    The game. Gateway shutting down just moments prior to the game has always happened, as far as I can recall, which is to ensure there is no AH exploiting when the game server is shutting down.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2015

I actually played WoW for years, and no you're wrong. While they were always within a minute, they were not always on the dot. They'd be late by anywhere between 10-60 seconds. Better than any other game, yet but on the dot, no. I remember one time the last server shutdown message repeated twice but shut down on the second one right away, which would have made it a minute late.

Ok. I am finding it hard to believe that you noticed how late or early blizzard started thier downtime each time. Especially within a minute. And remembered it all.

That being said , I also find the op's complaint about as petty as they come.

• myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Ok. I am finding it hard to believe that you noticed how late or early blizzard started thier downtime each time. Especially within a minute. And remembered it all.

First, I am not an Oathbound Paladin. . . :)

Second, "I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party . . ." In other words, it is not petty if it affects someone's in-game experience, but you are entitled to your own misguided opinion . . . :P

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Look at the bright side: At least they aren't like service companies: "Any time between 8 A.M. and Noon or 1 P.M. and 4 P.M. Just be ready for us."
    edited July 2015
    skalt112 wrote: »

I was a hard-core MMO gamer back then. I'd spend days straight, with no sleep or outside world, playing WoW, EQ, UO, and AC. When something happens repeatedly each week, consistently, its easy to remember -- especially over the course of more than a decade.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    huh? you played Asheron's Call, Zeb? name sound familar. dont know if you heard of Dadga Silverhand on Leafcull or Wylonus of Morningthaw? were you on Grey Dragons alleigance?
    edited July 2015
    wylonus wrote: »
    huh? you played Asheron's Call, Zeb? name sound familar. dont know if you heard of Dadga Silverhand on Leafcull or Wylonus of Morningthaw? were you on Grey Dragons alleigance?
    Dadga sounds familiar but I am horrible with names. I forget what guild I was in or what shard, but my main character there was indeed named Zebular. I started back when it was a microsoft product and had to go through the merger into Turbine, which was a horrible fiasco. Anyway, he was an UA with some snazzy fist blades. I'd spend hours at titans. :D
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    there is quiet few "dadga" on other servers that isnt mine, found out lot later, but leafcull his main home, and my first maxed level at 275, but doesnt end there, they added "Augmentation and Lumination" years later as new skill customization, it is still up and not many players, but made it close-knit communities, and they just revive Asheron's call 2 not long ago, as of now, they no longer have any new patches since Warner brothers bought them to work on "failed" infinity crisis, a DC comics alternate reality rpg.
    Horizons known as Gifteds of Istaria, still up, barely few hundred players, love playing as dragon, one of most powerful playable race/class ever.

sorry for tangent and off-topic.
    Star trek, champions, and neverwinter are my current home game for summer, back to play eq2 later in fall, and still play NW on weekends and random hours during weeks.