NOTICE: Read the Forum Rules and check for Known Issues before posting!

test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Implement of combustion - tons of damage

After a lot of testing, the might of Implement of combustion is clear to me: calculating an average across all damaging sorceries in the game, IoC increases the amount of damage done by sorceries on an average of around 75% on high level loadouts and way over 100% on low level loadouts. If we add the card draw, I believe it is one of the best artifacts of the game (apart from the altar, of course).

Being a user of a sorcery-based deck, I usually played draconic flux. I find the dragons quite slow and stupid, but they do a huge amount of damage when appearing, easily up to 25% the damage of the spells. Implement of combustion seemed nice, giving both damage and card draw, but I thought the damage was too low... Until I realized that it scales with loadout and planeswalker level multipliers. Also, the damage triggers on all instances of spell-based damage, including damage over time and hazards. Even if there is no stack of the IoC damage (new damage will override still pending damage over time from IoC), the amount of damage gained with IoC is huge.

For example, take the spell Earth Spike. At level 8, sorcery potency 1000, class level 30 and expert/master difficulty, it should do a base damage of around 43730 before applying loadout and planeswalker level multipliers. IoC at level 20 does 10296, so we are talking about a nearly 25% increase in the damage done.

Let's take now pyroclasm: under the same conditions it will do around 32790 damage when casting and then 12020 over 10 seconds. IoC will trigger once with the first damage and then once each second over the 10 seconds. Since the IoC damage is done in three 0,5 sec instances of 3432 that don't stack, it will only apply 2 instances for each pyroclasm damage but for the last one, for a total of 23 instances of 3432 = 78936. Therefore, we are taking about a huge 176% increase in damage, near 3 times more damage.

As seen with earth spike and pyroclasm, there are big variations on the increased damage % with different spells: this increase will be higher for low damaging spells and spells with damage over time/creating hazards, and lower for high damaging spells with a single damage instance. To give a more general view, if we calculate the % increase in damage of IoC for all the spells of the game, we obtain a nearly 75% increase on average for rank 8 spells, 1000 sorcery potency, class level 30 and expert/master difficulty, which I believe is huge, specially since using the appropiate spells will make it higher. Also, the lower the spell rank and sorcery potency the higher the increase: for example, with level 5 spells and sorcery potency 500 the average damage increase goes to over 100%, meaning IoC is doubling your sorcery damage on average. The same happens with class level and difficulty, making IoC specially powerful at low level loadouts (although it keeps behing great at high levels too).

Since I tested implement of combustion, I believe it is the best artifact by far for any strategy based in doing damage through sorceries.

Comments

• Options

Yes it's great I just wish there was another one which focused on direct damage sorceries instead of favoring damage over time and hazard ones (which is clearly the intend behind IoC and the fact that it also triggers on direct damage sorceries is just a peripheral benefit). In general I think the game can benefit a lot from more mythic artifacts options.

• Options
    gormenghast1gormenghast1 Posts: 40

In every parsed run I did with very diverse loadouts, the damage generated by IoC varies from 6 to 10% of the total outgoing damage. Its full potential isn't reached, as usually horde mobs die before getting hit by the three full ticks of the DoT. DPS wise is better than creature summoning legendary artifacts but the DPS increase is not very dramatic.

"Ignite" is the damage generated by IoC. This was an "Against the Horde with a Sanctifier White/Red Orb of Shiv creature deck (before the draw mechanic change for summons):

• Options

Ideal worlds sound amazing, but reality is usually more boring. Indeed, my numbers refer to an ideal situation which usually won't happen, either because the enemies die early or multiple damage instances overlap, overriding previous IoC damage triggers. However I still feel confident that IoC has a great impact in specific builds created to maximize its effects. You have reminded me of the importance of actual testing, though, so I should try to start working with a DPS parser. Thank you very much for the feedback!