NOTICE: Read the Forum Rules and check for Known Issues before posting!

test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bloodsoaked Altar Nerf

Thanks for nerfing Bloodsoaked Altar into the ground. 20 seconds? are you serious? The only reason they are any good is that you could have an army of them which you gain over time because they lasted 60 seconds. Now it's not a build its just a couple more shit creatures you can summon to throw in front of enemies so they don't hit you. 1 of my aoe sorceries can easily out dps all of my demons put together.

Comments

• Cutting off two thirds of a build while increasing the cost seems a bit much.

I had enough time to see how useful the altar was for Necro players. I crossed over to necro, saved to buy one on conscript store, leveled it to 20 and wham!

That is literally one million resources that I had to get together to try the necro build.

To be honest, I thought you were holding items just as nice for the other classes to release one month at a time so that we could have a flavor of the month like a good ice cream store. You had the potential to make a Legendary artifact for each and every class and release them with each new booster set so people would want to see how you make the next class even better than the necro altar build.

You didn't give us a flavor of the month, you just burned down the ice cream store.

• redhotrainbowredhotrainbow Posts: 1

I put everything I had into this deck since I got the alter what bs are thy talking about you still need 18s to get 3 spells to sacrifice so even if Ido everything right I'm only keeping up 3 summons with zero casting of any spells in my deck 3 5/5 creatures is a joke. what is so legendary about this artifact now its a lvl 20 pice of trash. if your going to do this kind of shit to your items people pay money to get and tons of resources the very least you should do is refund the resources

• I never ran this combo, but I definitely played with people who ran it in public missions, and it's just miserable to try to navigate around. Glad they nerfed it tbh.

• kingjeldorankingjeldoran Posts: 23

You should have a backup deck. Nerfs and buffs happen. Dev already said in discord that artifact will get a nerf soon. That's why I made another deck before the nerf came. You are not prepared qq. :)

• Open Beta.
    • EULA has a clause in it stating things may change.
    • Balancing is a thing.

The players here are beyond belief.....if the Alter remained as powerful as it was, it would be decried as being a P2W item, balanced ( brought into line with nearly every other similar effect in the game currently ) and people are crying...this is why we can't have nice things.

• Wait. Were people actually using the Demons as... Creatures? Every person I've seen was using them as fodder for card draw/damage.

Let's run down the build.

Annihilation with Bloodsoaked Altar and Demonic Contract on a Dimir Assassin with the Necrotic Burst trait off the Necromancer.

Annihilation sacrifices all creatures you control.

For each creature sacrificed the following will happen.

• Draw a card (Knowledge Gained from Dimir Assassin class)
    • Gain life equal to 10% + 5% for each Sorcery in your deck of the sacrificed creature's maximum health (Demonic Contract)
    • If they can, the caster will lose 20% of maximum health and discard a random card- creates a 5/5 Demon with Trample (Bloodsoaked Altar)
    • Deals 200% of the sacrificed/dead creature's damage in an area over 5 seconds (Necrotic Burst)
    • Deal an amount of damage plus an additional 150% of the combined damage of all sacrificed creatures around you (Annihilation)

It's a big sacrifice bomb.

You can even combine it with Armlet of Deception to create 1/1 tokens every time you draw a card to continually make more tokens to full the effect.

I've never seen anyone use the Demons as actual creatures- it's always some form of sacrifice bomb that usually also uses the Storm/Cadence combo to get to the cards it needs. This "nerf" didn't change that as the build continues on. All this "nerf" did was make the item even more niche, as the only people that will use it will be these people running this sacrifice build.

And that build is one of the reasons I've stopped playing. It's fueled by over-powered cash shop nonsense that actively ruins the game. The servers can't handle the massive stack of effects and creatures this Demon sacrifice bomb creates. The build will actively lag any zone that a player is using it in to the point that it desyncs skirmishes causing them to break. It also pushes out any nearby person from the loot pool, so you often won't get anything out of enemies. And the devs know about this, but chose to... What? Push people into using that build because it's the only viable one left by making the Demons even worse creatures and by removing Glint's "bugged" card draw.

I'm not waiting another month for them to fix this. Game's dead. Period. This is the direction they're going. They'll produce overpowered things for the cash shop, keep them around long enough for people to buy them, then maybe nerf them later when enough people have sunk cash into them. Great. It's Riot's business model- push out broken champs, get people to buy them due to FOMO, nerf them later after they've collected their monies.

The MtG IP should have been given to a competent development studio, as this game needs reworked from the ground up. It's fine to make an alright game and monetize it, but this game isn't even good. The game's only fun when there are exploits to play with. And now the only ones left are in the cash shop- quelle surprise! The only exploits allowed are in the cash shop?! What?! Insert surprised pikachu face.

• Well rounded and comprehensive /applaud.

Pity that the game being Open Beta makes it moot.

• @longtoke#5785

First. Not a beta as... Wait, I've written this before...

I will hammer this drum until the end of time- a beta is a very specific period of time during which a company opens their game up to select individuals as a means of compensation for stress/bug testing. The MOMENT that any player can spend money directly on or in the game, it is no longer a beta. The player is now a potential customer. When real money becomes involved, impartiality goes out the window. We can see this with this game's battle pass. During the first two weeks, and even up to now for some players, the battle pass quest system wasn't working properly. This was a bug... Or was it? As there is a MONETARY way to directly purchase levels in the battle pass. If this "bug" pushed players to buy the premium battle pass for fear of missing out- what incentive do the devs or the over-arching parent company have in fixing bugs like these? It calls into question the impartiality of the beta testing phase- are the devs trying to squash legitimate bugs or make the company more money? What if a "bug" makes the company money- is it a bug or a feature, and will it be "fixed"?

And now we can add Bloodsoaked Altar to that. Is it a bug that people can abuse it to create builds that ruin other players' enjoyment or even direct functionality of the server? Or is it a purposefully overpowered item created to **make money**?

So, your argument is moot. I'm glad you took the time to put your hands to good use though, instead of continually beating off the devs. Don't shill for companies, kid. They don't care about you.

• Well I think everyone has their own opinion on what a beta is, my interpretation of a beta was that the company is acknowledging that the game is still under development. I believe that for it to be a true beta something has to be significantly different between the phases between release and open beta, lets say they had a big marketting initiative when the game is on full release for instance. So by letting some people in early, play test through their game, yes everybody can, but I also have seen a lot of games try to claim they are in open beta for some years and that is concerning because clearly it is the final game and I see where you're coming from in that perspective.

What I believe will happen is that they will bring in pvp modes, guilds, another PvE mode or two, hash out some bugs, then what you'll see is anything new content related will mostly be isolated to whatever you can get out of boosters which I expect them to bring out a new booster pack 2x a year. Of coarse I could be wrong, but reality is that this is a big company, not a tiny little indie company and if they say they are going to make these changes, increase content, playtest balance etc etc then I'll believe them until I'm proven wrong.

• delitordelitor Posts: 6
    edited April 2021

Screw the nerf, if the demons just take up screen space, shrink them, they don't have stats worthy of 5/5s anyway. Seriously, everyone who's hating on people being rightfully upset either hasn't played it, or are just not upset because their deck that they put a week+ into making wasn't made completely moot.

The altar sub-rank 20 is now a way to just kill yourself instantly. the demons attack so infrequently and do so little damage that it doesn't matter. At least with my tiny army of 7-9 demons I wouldn't get instantly nuked down. Whatsmore there seems to be a bug causing creatures to be randomly sacrificed, the altar to trigger randomly, or the altar to trigger on token timeouts.

Also, being Open Beta isn't good enough, at the bare minimum they could have refunded the thousands of gold spent to upgrade it. and forget about using it if you weren't finished. All this did is make me regret picking necromancer and make me feel cheated for spending real money. you can say it's open beta and subject to change, but other games actually give compensation when they delete a feature. And yes, turning this artifact from being helpful to multiple styles to only being used in that cheesy empty your hand and draw engine end-game linear, and what many consider flat out unfun style, that's what they did. This nerf wasn't a nerf, it didn't decrease how good a card was. It flat out turned a artifact into a joke. nerfing something by 66.6% ontop of a second 33.3% adds up to 100% uselessness

• edited April 2021

Well you had your limited time advantage, that bonus gold should be able to fund something else. Even more so if you spent your money early on, it would have provided you with a clear build instead of well jumping on the first greater artifact you get and kind of going from there. You'll see lots of the other greater artifacts would still need buffs to be on the same level, like thornbite altar for instance, unless you had some clear reason for why you want to root everything in your path then there is simply no real good reason to run it. Balance is better, whether you like it or not.

• lordanthlordanth Posts: 53

Well, not everyone was in the know of 'Discord' or what-not that this artifact would be nerfed. I think compensation should be an order, like giving all the people that had bloodsoaked prior to nerf a free artifact unlock or something.

If it was a dropped artifact, that would be one thing, but it's not. Buyer/seller contract/decencyI think applies here......

• raveman1000raveman1000 Posts: 22
    edited April 2021

It's not really on par with other artifact with this change. Just compare with draconic flux:

You get a chance of getting 6/6 dragons with EtB effect just by casting sorcery as well as gaining lesser resist. Dragons last 15+ seconds.

Bloodsoaked altar: you need to sacrifice a creature, discard a card and lose 20% hp, you get a 5/5 demon that lasts 20 sec. The price is so much higher, and the result inferior (but you get it 100% vs lower chance for dragon spawn). And you had to pay to get that artifact!

So the altar is now just good for very specific annihilation build and is sub par for anything else.

• ldemarco#4328 ldemarco Posts: 15
    edited April 2021

Being able to only have 3 demons out makes the Altar all but useless to everyone Who doesn't have the DIMIR class (the Majority DON"T BTW) Clearly the Nerf is meant to get people to continue to buy packs to try and get the Dimir class so they can use that paired with "fuming onslaught" to have hordes of demons out to misuse in the 'cookie cutter' bs mentioned in the above 'quote' Predatory and p2w

• edited April 2021

You're looking at it a little bit wrong. Black creatures overall are just a tiny bit better and the creatures you're sacrificing are +1+1's that shift their stats over onto your other creatures, so you essentially don't mind killing these off. So this +1+1 bonus a dragon has will be negated by your creature potency and then even more you can annihilate these for even more damage.

Chance increased by 8% per mana spent on a sorcery, well you don't want to be running a creature deck with this and you don't want creature potency, if I was to run this artifact on my green creature deck and for argument sake I probably would, then it doesn't even get the green creature potency boost. Then the very fact that you have this instead of something that would actually be useful for a red sorcery build means that in turn that's going to be a bit weaker too. Even look to orb of shiv, yes the red mana sorcery potency is good, but the molten shell is absolutely useless in a sorcery build, which as the point I'm trying to make means that the best build for red is not properly supported.

I'm not saying this is bad, it's just very fair.

• lordanthlordanth Posts: 53
    edited April 2021

Haha, this is a great comment. I really wanted to see this game succeed, but man, it's like they make dumb choices that make you go huh" on every level. From bizarre tutorials, to bizarre creature vs sorcery balances, bizarre new spell drop rates, and if the cash store wasn't weird enough already (these booster packs don't really get me all that excited to open them. Then they ficken change what you buy without any refund.

Fuck, I'm almost thinking going on to my paypal, and ask for a refund because the "item was not as described" ;P

Well, I did send a paypal request, if you spent real money on this now piece of crap artifact and used paypal, give it a shot.....

ah crud, they auto-banned my account haha, maybe don't dispute. :/

Post edited by lordanth on
  • warordoswarordos Posts: 6

Good morning all,

Having played pre and post nerf I think the following would make for a good middle ground for the Bloodsoaked Altar:

Pre-nerf:

15% Hp cost/sacrifice | 60 second duration @ Level 20

Life lost reduced by 1% per Sorcery in deck

Post-nerf:

20% Hp cost/sacrifice | 20 second duration @ Level 20

Suggested middle-ground:

15% Hp cost/sacrifice | 30 second duration @ Level 20

----

Under the current stats, I find that the HP loss, vs efficacy of the demons to not be worth the limited duration making the artifact an expensive novelty waiting to be replaced by something else (based on non-Dimir uses/interactions). I believe that a slightly enhanced duration and lower HP cost would, for the majority of builds, make for sufficient utility to have this item actually used.

Kind regards,

• What would you replace it with that would give you more benefit? It's still solid, I think if you have a problem losing health for a powerful effect then black is not the colour for you.

• finaly some1did a good dead.

Im happy with thenerf,

since the build no morevalid Im glad cos idont see99% of thescreen filled with stupid monsters and nothing else.

• raveman1000raveman1000 Posts: 22

This is a MTG game, which is mainly a summoner game. The game is still filled with many creatures, it's just not demons. If you don't like it you should play something else.

• edited April 2021

It is bad comparatively to how strong it was before, but it is still one of the best legendary artifacts at a glance, I can't make a solid comparison with the sorcery potency artifacts which could possibly be better, but then it is a unique effect to be able to spawn 5/5's, I have personally found that creatures are the best strategy for very passive playing, like you can go make a tea, come back, your creatures have cleared the whole map and finished the skirmish. If you want to play on the hardest mode then yeah the creatures pretty much always suck and get 1 shot, but they do usually get 1 hit in before they die and you can use effects to make them deal damage equal to their power in various forms so I believe there are still uses for the card.

Also creatures in every game lead to very passive gameplay, there's a reason I never roll a pet class, but my friend who likes tabbing out would always play the pet class.

Post edited by htmekkatorque#3258 on