NOTICE: Read the Forum Rules and check for Known Issues before posting!

test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is there no death penalty?

I realy dont get it..... without it there is absolute NO challenge at all?

Comments

• biplexbiplex Posts: 47

Pay 5 dollars for a charity each time you die. Now you have your challenge and you are supporting good cause.

• sargeriassargerias Posts: 81

Thank you Mr. Troll for you nonconstructive comments. I am sure the devs would love the thought that people dont spend money on THEIR game instead. You should make your own thread about this i am sure it gets the Attention its deserves.

• What do you suggest?

edited April 2021

Well nothing super fancy..... but in every successfull ARPG you have death penaltys. THats part of the Challenge.

And a great side effect would be that it reduces the Leachers abit. If they nonstop die during their leachings it wont benefit them anymore and they will return to THEIR difficulty.

Actually i am very open to anything. From Loss of Planar Mana to (everyone is ranting about the Cap anyway) to Loss of Gold or even loss of rewards.

Exp loss is pointless as it had to be such a heavy loss to make it feel on your planeswalker lvl that it would scare people away.

For Example in Diablo2 you lost some exp (wich wasnt realy serious but could be annoying) but once you got to highest difficulty your stuff took damage and the Reoair costs where so serious that you could aktually become broke.

THe good thing is that Death penaltys promote a much more intensive gameplay. You suddenly start playing smarter and carefully instead of rushing through everything regardles of Danger. Right now somone can die himself through master and aside from taking longer he gets same rewards.

• biplexbiplex Posts: 47

How a bout playing those other games that have death penalty instead of ML?

I gave you perfect solution (actually 2 of them already) for your problem. And it is 0 cost for the devs to implement them :)

• envicoenvico Posts: 156

Any game where you die and respawn at a point already has a penalty; you have to go back to where you died to continue or pick up your loot.

• I don't agree with this. the only "good" games that have a death penalty, have a ton of glitches to counter act what was lost. borderlands for example. when you die, you lose like 25% of your money. this would be bad if you couldn't glitch that money back. the only thing that would come of this is more complaints especially with there being caps on most things. the challenge comes from beating the enemy that killed you. when I first started out, I died multiple times. this will only punish new players making them leave really quick as they keep getting punished for not knowing any better.

• grinch#1756 grinch Posts: 27

I have been que'd for a story mission to complete a daily while doing other content. The accept mission invite pops up and I am rooted in place unable to do anything. Many times I click accept multiple times without anything happening. In the meantime I continue to take damage and eventually die. After I die and come back I am able to accept the invitation. I should be penalized because of something I have no control over?

• If you're so interested in death penalties, then play a game that offers you what you're looking for. The amount of coding that would need to go into the game to accommodate a limited audience, I don't believe is worth the developers time. I like the game the way it is, and how it's expanding. But I don't feel a death penalty is warranted, nor is it something a lot of people miss.

These are just my thoughts, and my 2 mana on the subject.

A.

• So the issue is leachers and you want to fix it by giving non-leachers a penalty? I say fix the problem no the symptom.

• There is a death penalty. When you're down for those 10 seconds you lose loot, you lose time on skirmishes, you lose your tags on monsters (Or the monsters just flat out despawn). The penalty is actually huge in that it wastes your time significantly.

No that would only be a side effect. The core is i dont feel any NECCESSITY to play smart or cautious, i dont loose any loot or reward on missions. You only loose those 10 seconds of time. But if you have an issue of loosing 10 seconds time.... why even play a video game then? Its all loos of time anyway.

• yes you do. you can completely fail a skirmish if you fail the timing and get nothing for a reward. you could get a bad time in an ordeal and get less rewards. if you want a challenge, wait until glint gets patched and you cant spell spam anymore and desperately scan youtube for someone to upload their build so you can just copy it again and complain more that the game isn't challenging enough for you.

• veencveenc Posts: 11

I've always played games in hardcore mode (when it happens to have), with the maximum penalty of losing the char. But in this particular game I don't see much reason to implement more penalties for the death, it looks like a friendly game to play after some hours of study/work without chances of being stressed out. As evilsoup said, it won't be only 10 seconds because there's a lot happening around and you have to go back to the battlefield with nothing again. I say nothing because my build is around having a lot of creatures in the field so I can trigger '+1/1 to the strongest creature per creature in the field'. If I die, I might lose the timing to kill the boss and lose the entire skirmish/mission/etc, maybe it's a build you want to play to up the challenge for you in this particular game.

• chosenonexchosenonex Posts: 15

EXP loss was always a dumb mechanic. If I cut myself with a knife,I will get better with the Knife through the Experience I gained prior to cutting myself. I will not forget cutting myself. The experience of cutting myself isn't lost lol

In game terms I get better at the Encounter because I gained Encounter Experience. Why am I arbitrarily losing what in reality cannot be lost?

It's always irked me. The truth is EXP Loss was never about penalizing you. It was about keeping you logged in longer in the early days. That's why it's not as common today. It's a Archaic Design Philosophy that runs counter to the Eplorative Nature of the Genres where it was/is most found. I should not be penalized for attempting to Explore a world YOU created for me to Explore.

I'm cool with no Death Penalty. There are already soft Penalties in the form of Encounter timers. Die too much and that Mythic Boss or Echo will vanish and you get nothing.

• htmekkatorque mentioned a death penalty in another trend I thought was good. in short, there should be a penalty in ordeals and increase the amount of resources you can get as long as you don't die. drops shouldn't be affected but end of mission rewards should be. as long as you don't die, you win. if you do die, you cant fail an ordeal so you win. or at least I don't think you can fail it.

• you started this trend off bad. rename a new trend along the lines of no death bonus.

• Time's of the upmost Importance. Plain And Simple.