NOTICE: Read the Forum Rules and check for Known Issues before posting!

test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thirteen's List of Changes and Suggestions for Magic Legends!

Hello everyone! I've been playing Magic Legends for several weeks now, and in addition to now streaming the game over at http://www.twitch.tv/riptideprolab, I wanted to list a bunch of different thoughts and changes on things I think would improve the experience of the game overall.

UI IMPROVEMENTS / CHANGES

• Allow Equipment to be either searched, or sort Equipment into various types. Can be a simple checkmark box for "List Equipment that affects your loadout (so, lists White Mana / Red Mana Equipment, etc)" or create some sort of quick search options because scrolling through the gear is a hassle.
  • Secondly, and I know this might be long term, but change the entire Equipment layout altogether. This page should have a standard grid-based sort, with easy hover-overs for each item as you look into the grid. This would make sorting and looking through your gear much, much easier.
  • Another Equipment improvement: Selling! A lot of players don't mind selling gear that doesn't fit their relevant build, or even better, a stash for us to put that gear into back in Our Realm. Having the same grid interface in the stash would also be great too. Lots of room to improve here.
  • IMPROVEMENTS FOR COLORBLINDNESS. I am red-green colorblind (slight deuteronopia) so health bars on enemies can be a challenge to read for me. Sometimes my units and my enemies can get confused with as I'm fighting. I know I can use the blue circles beneath my units, but adding options that tweak the colors this way would go a long way for accessibility. In addition, making the health bars toggleable so they can stay on the whole time (and remove my friendlies) would be very helpful.
  • TEMPORARY SUMMONS!? How long do these stay around? The UI in the bottom right shows our tokens, but not how long they're around for. A simple and very welcome fix would be to slowly "defill" the token icon to show that it is leaving soon. The box shows up, the timer starts, the box starts shrinking away until it's gone, then no more token! Easy! (A number over the icon would also help out a lot too!)
  • SOUNDS! The current suite of sounds for the UI are several things: monotonous, repetitive, and... disgusting?! There is currently only one sound for clicking on most parts of the game, and that sound has a static noise every single time. It's a very LONG KACHUNK that is heard every time you click on something - this is very annoying rapidly clicking on Equipment, talents, you name it. Replacing this with a faster, CHIK noise would be much more fun, and vary the pitch every time you select something. Having variation on what you hear allows you to not get too used to the sounds and honestly makes for a better aural experience. Also, please change the sounds for upgrading cards and dismissing the upgrade screen, currently it makes a very SLIME sounding GACK when you put cards away.
  • Speaking of cards... ALLOW SWAPPING OF CARDS IN THE LOADOUT AT WILL! If there's one thing CCG or any card game player likes to do, it's order their loadout by Mana Cost, or any other reasons. Having to sift through your spells to keep swapping things around when the UI is right there to help you do that can be frustrating. Also with this, untie the first card being the "Deck Box" cover of your Deck and let us, like Magic: Arena, drag a card to the cover to change it to whatever we want to personalize the deck even further. Props to letting us name each deck though!
  • Here's one I'd love to see pulled out of the Battle Pass menu: Put Daily and Weekly Battle Pass quests in the general UI! You already have the quests for the zone, so putting the battle pass quests to the right, under the map, would be great. That would allow us at-a-glance see how far we are to our daily or weeklies without having to stop, open the menu, go to Battle Pass, check it, close the menu, and continue. This game is a lot of fun and you can get sidetracked REALLY easy, so this would go a long way to helping you stay on task.
  • Speaking of the minimap; ALLOW US TO LOCK IT TO NORTH (and the overlay map as well!). This is a big one. Rotating the entire map when we rotate is fine; but we can handle having the map locked. If you're worried about North being hard to discern if we do this, just change it so the world map icon has the compass moving on it instead. That way, we can still have our pointer telling us which way is north when we move our camera, but the map stays the same so we can get our bearings. A click of a setting, and we can swap between both. Easy!

VOICE OVER/VO

• Squee has some really bad voice over. I'm sorry, but I'm not really a fan. The actor is trying their best, but it's really coming out a little bit too forced. If you could have the VO re-record where the goofiness is brought back just a bit, as well as the overdramatic delivery of the lines (Nissa is also VERY guilty of this), Squee should fit into more of a "goofy, but kind of smart for a Goblin" feel that he has from the lore. That, and the voice over lines either sometimes don't match his text, or vice versa, and it can be distracting.
  • CONSISTENT PRONUNCIATIONS BETWEEN VO -- This is a big one. Dairy Gaze? Dar ee gauze? So many different parts of VO in the game don't have consistent pronunciations of each character, there's lingo that's not said correctly, and it gets really jarring sometimes. When you have voice over that consistently contradicts the pronunciation of the character you just met, it makes it feel like these characters aren't connected. They don't seem to care whether or not a character or place's name is said correctly, and that makes a huge difference in terms of immersion. You want to feel like you're in a world where these characters are really asking for your help, not trying to just say stuff just to say it.
  • OVERDRAMATIC LINE DELIVERY - This one I already touched on a bit, but a LOT of the voice over is delivered in such a Saturday Morning Cartoon way that it really takes you out of the action. There are some really good voice actors in this game (Shoutouts to DarigaazAdeliz, and more) and the best voice acting comes from when the characters are much more even-keeled in tone rather than literally about to rampage off into the wilderness at even the slightest or most mundane conversation. Tailors have some of the best voice over in the game because their direction is much more laid-back and easier to listen to!

This is not an exhaustive list; just a lot of things that I had in my mind after my latest play session. These are things that come up time and again in my mind when I'm thinking about How do I improve this game for everyone? and this is what comes up.

I'll be playing more Magic Legends on my twitch stream throughout the week; come by and chat about what you think should be changed in the game!

Later!