WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Forsaken World's Anniversary Fan Art Contest

thenamesdomino
thenamesdomino Posts: 1,679 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
The Votes are in and we have selected a winner!

rendiel

8dhzEeA.png

rendiel's painting of their amazing Reaper wowed the staff! Like I said, we have some truly amazing and talented artists in our ranks!

Congratulations!

We will be sending you an Arc Code for a super rare [Internet Famous] title! In addition we will be displaying your work on our Facebook, News, and Twitter Pages!

A big thank you to everyone who participated!

Stay Tuned... More contests to come!

- The Forsaken World Staff
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thrashz - Storm Legion
    Thrashz - Storm Legion Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Such a beautiful drawing, Congrats!
    [SIGPIC]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w379/SJEK1990/SacrificeQuote_zps77979225.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    <Hero of Summit of Elements><Terminator of Dark Dragon>
  • alexgw23
    alexgw23 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm not entering any more contests. This looks like it was painted by a child and I counted several including mine that were better than this. Also I was monitoring the entries from start to finish and this one wasn't on the thread at any time. This whole thing is fake.
  • viiix
    viiix Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    alexgw23 wrote: »
    I'm not entering any more contests. This looks like it was painted by a child and I counted several including mine that were better than this. Also I was monitoring the entries from start to finish and this one wasn't on the thread at any time. This whole thing is fake.

I believe this post is where they entered, but Domino edited it so I can't tell for sure.

In my opinion, this art is far better than yours.
  • alexgw23
    edited April 2015
    Are you sure? Because mine were a REALISTIC portrait of my toon, a portrait of Balerion with me sitting on his toe and a picture of my toon with Kiki, Momo and Duke. If you think this thing is better than all of those then you're clearly not an artist. I focused on neatness, detail and most importantly making things recognizable, so people could identify what I was drawing. Can you tell me what's in the background of that picture, because it just looks like blobs of watercolor paint.
  • viiix
    viiix Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Are you sure? Because mine were a REALISTIC portrait of my toon, a portrait of Balerion with me sitting on his toe and a picture of my toon with Kiki, Momo and Duke. If you think this thing is better than all of those then you're clearly not an artist. I focused on neatness, detail and most importantly making things recognizable, so people could identify what I was drawing. Can you tell me what's in the background of that picture, because it just looks like blobs of watercolor paint.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. What you're not entitled to, however, is putting down other people's art and bashing on them.

I personally find the winner's picture more dynamic, with better anatomy and posing. I think the background's blurriness is nicely done and I happen to like the style. Just because yours is focused on neatness doesn't make it inherently better, nor does it make it okay for you to say rude things about their art.
  • alexgw23
    edited April 2015
    Forget I said anything. People get angry from time to time. We're all human, and if it means anything, I'm sorry.
    But then again everyone is entitled to an opinion. No one said anything when people said negative things about one of my threads, but the moment I open my mouth people jump on it
  • AeonRuin - Lionheart
    AeonRuin - Lionheart Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The background is of the area in land of origination where you have to pick the berries/kill 5 of the mobs.
  • thenamesdomino
    thenamesdomino Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The link in the post was broken so they manually went in ang got it from the test entered. You too can do that by selecting "Quote" on the post to see for yourself. :)
  • kirankiran
    kirankiran Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Forget I said anything. People get angry from time to time. We're all human, and if it means anything, I'm sorry.
    But then again everyone is entitled to an opinion. No one said anything when people said negative things about one of my threads, but the moment I open my mouth people jump on it

No but you're totally right, I told my friends about this contest and we all agree with me that this winner is plain UNFAIR. I'm not the big expert on art but you just need to look at it to know that the anatomy in WRONG, just, no. Last time I enter a contest here. No more comments.
  • Gwenny - Eyrda
    Gwenny - Eyrda Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The winner's work stands out because of its great use of color and contrasts. It shows great painting skill and understanding of shadows and lighting. It's very dynamic.The background and hand and some other larger sections I feel they got a little sloppy in. I can see that they meant to go blurry as they go further out from the character but it doesn't feel exactly right to me. Definitely some cartoony aspect but it's still very nice and shows great skill. Especially with how the blend colors to show different shadings and light in the wings, the red parts of the outfit, and weapon. It is eye catching.

I see a few other posts that I think have a more advanced drawing skill or coloring skill or editing skill and in that aspect are much stronger than yours and the winner's in those certain ways. I'd have chosen a few others over the winner's one too if it was up to me however the winner's one would be a top contender as well.

Bottom line... Remember that this is a just a forum contest with a tiny award. You are still a good artist and I hope you keep drawing and bettering your skill and open your mind to other art styles and move on from this ^^ There's no need to come in and add rumors on top of your bashing of this person's piece and claim that they have some special connection to the people responsible for picking the winner. That shows immaturity. And a sore loser. Don't be a sore loser and spread rumors over this. C'mon now.

edit
    having issue replying to this topic so il edit this post. this is a response to the post under this one.
    I'm glad someone agrees with me and I'm sure there are many others. First let me say this...this is a forum where people are allowed to express their feelings as long as it doesn't break any of the rules set by PWE. That being said it is my right to comment on threads as I feel and if others are doing so as they please, then so will I. No one should have more rights on this forum than anyone else and because of this it doesn't make much sense to complain about another person's complaint and say they are not allowed to complain...because in fact they are allowed to do so.

Second, the winning picture only looks like a painting at first glance. But after talking this over with other artists in game, it looks more like an edited screenshot. If that is really the case, not only did it not deserve to win, but the credit for this "artwork" should go to PWE because they're the ones who made the original.

On the topic of realism vs other types of art, realism is probably the hardest one to master. One would not expect a 10 year old to draw an accurate portrait of his father, but it's easy for him to do a finger painting of a flower. The finger painting is not neat, or accurate, but it is colourful and it is still considered art. Which is easier to do, a tattoo of tweety bird or a tattoo of the joker from the movie "the dark knight"? I am a professional tattoo artist for those who are wondering.

Finally, the best artists in the world are self taught. This is not something you can simply learn at a school. It is a gift that is developed from childhood. Artists are unique and completely different from the rest of the world, and we are often moody/angry, emotionally disturbed or just simply misunderstood. Most artists I know couldn't even afford college, and they have had very hard lives. So when someone spends time and effort and creates something from scratch with their own two hands...when they make nothing into something using sheer imagination they deserve to be recognized. So let's all remember to honour real artists.

I don't remember the names of all the people who entered, but I distinctly remember a few of the images. One was a collection of line drawings of a lycan (manga style), and there were some other cartoony toon drawings that were obviously done by hand. All of you know who you are :) and you are all winners to me.

- Yes you are allowed to post your opinion which means i'm allowed to post mine as well. I just disagree with your way of putting down this winner's work and trying to expand your eyes and give you a different way of looking at this winner's work. I completely agree that there stronger pieces. But I don't think calling the winner's work childish and trash is fair either. No one is taking your rights away from you. Don't panic! ;) I'm totally happy you're actually responding in a mature manner most people on here aren't capable of that.

- yes realism is very hard. hyperrealism is even harder (i'm a huge fan of hyper realism :D) but even abstract art, cartoony, and other forms take awhile to plan. it's just a different process and doesn't mean realism or hyper realism let's say is better. (though i have seen abstract art that makes me go... wth? it's just a white canvas with a solid colored square why are you in this show and why is your work worth thousands...!) Art is weird sometimes. Cool you're a tattoo artist? Sweet job. But even if you had a very simple piece to tattoo you do plan it out carefully right? Less time to work on but it's still your work and it's still valuable right?

- Yes many of the best artists are self taught. But they still study what those of us who went to college for studied. They go beyond their own style. They don't box themselves in. They study past artists, they study different styles. They read. They make friends with other artists. They experiment. They're ravenous for knowledge. It's very possible to learn it all on your own but it still takes time and dedication to get that knowledge into your head and you still have to go out into the world and see museums, galleries etc. They save lots of money doing it all free too!
    "Finally, the best artists in the world are self taught. This is not something you can simply learn at a school." " So when someone spends time and effort and creates something from scratch with their own two hands...when they make nothing into something using sheer imagination they deserve to be recognized. So let's all remember to honour real artists."

Educated college students are not better than these self taught artists. A person can be great with or without a college education. It depends on how dedicated they are.

I am an artist whether I went to college or not. This winner is an artist whether you like their work or not. I was very lucky in my education and I am grateful for it. I used to have your mindset. I have a more open mind to art now. Do not put down college taught artists. From your tone you think they're not artists or not as creative. Not true. They're just as full of imagination, dreams, and desire as non college bound artists. They simply have an instructor to guide them... (Instructors tend to be practicing artists in the field and can offer very valuable advice and share their struggles getting to where they are), books, and more bills to pay, sometimes lucky enough to get their own studio spaces temporarily, and sometimes access to really cool programs that take you abroad to amazing art places. My fellow artists would spend days and even nights drawing and painting and sculpting. They were very passionate people. Yes everyone has a situation and college isn't for everyone.
    Second, the winning picture only looks like a painting at first glance. But after talking this over with other artists in game, it looks more like an edited screenshot. If that is really the case, not only did it not deserve to win, but the credit for this "artwork" should go to PWE because they're the ones who made the original.

I disagree. This winner's work looks like a digital painting inspired from a screen shot. If you're a tattoo artist as you say would you work completely from imagination? No. Did you draw your entries for this contest completely from what you remember of your character? I doubt it. You'll take screen shots as well and draw as a reference. People come to tattoo artists wanting a certain thing they will bring you pictures to work from.

Also you just insulted those who make screen shot edits for real. The ones who work in photoshop to change a work and add text art and such. Those people are also artists btw. And just because they don't draw their work from scratch their editing skills are still those of an artist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

<Gwenny> - Precision Marksman - Eyrda Server
    <Gvanza> - Torture Tormentor - Eyrda Server
    <Gwendolyn> - Bloodwind Bloodraider - Lionheart Server

My FW Videos
    My FW Tumblr
  • alexgw23
    edited April 2015
    I'm glad someone agrees with me and I'm sure there are many others. First let me say this...this is a forum where people are allowed to express their feelings as long as it doesn't break any of the rules set by PWE. That being said it is my right to comment on threads as I feel and if others are doing so as they please, then so will I. No one should have more rights on this forum than anyone else and because of this it doesn't make much sense to complain about another person's complaint and say they are not allowed to complain...because in fact they are allowed to do so.

On the topic of realism vs other types of art, realism is probably the hardest one to master. One would not expect a 10 year old to draw an accurate portrait of his father, but it's easy for him to do a finger painting of a flower. The finger painting is not neat, or accurate, but it is colourful and it is still considered art. Which is easier to do, a tattoo of tweety bird or a tattoo of the joker from the movie "the dark knight"? I am a professional tattoo artist for those who are wondering.

Finally, the best artists in the world are self taught. This is not something you can simply learn at a school. It is a gift that is developed from childhood. Artists are unique and completely different from the rest of the world, and we are often moody/angry, emotionally disturbed or just simply misunderstood. Most artists I know couldn't even afford college, and they have had very hard lives. So when someone spends time and effort and creates something from scratch with their own two hands...when they make nothing into something using sheer imagination they deserve to be recognized. So let's all remember to honour real artists.

I don't remember the names of all the people who entered, but I distinctly remember a few of the images. One was a collection of line drawings of a lycan (manga style), and there were some other cartoony toon drawings that were obviously done by hand. All of you know who you are :) and you are all winners to me.
  • drakenfyre
    drakenfyre Posts: 2,614 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Do you really want the title that badly?

If you take out all the parts about how everyone looks at art differently is seem to come down to just wanting the title and your art being posted on the media sites
    Swordsman Moderator, Forsaken World Moderator, Jade Dynasty Moderator
    I do not have the staff on speed dial
    Insanity Runs Downhill
    2v3ld35.jpg
  • Kaiyu - Illyfue
    Kaiyu - Illyfue Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't like it either. I'm free to express it if I don't like a piece of art. I don't even know wth I'm looking at here... There were definitely better entries than this.

But Congratz, whatever. Art is subjective. Contest is over and you should all quit crying over it.
    sekrits, she's got sekrits in her hair...

I <3 Dragonica T;Cool

Lv90 Divine Priest
  • tottiie
    tottiie Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Congrats to the person who won!

Thankies to the person who said the Lycan manga drawing was good; But tbh I think everyones drawing was lovely;3 You're all winners to me :*

~Purfect