Guide on how to gear yourself for pvp

Rothj - Eyrda
Rothj - Eyrda Posts: 474 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion
So, I've been doing a lot of 12v12 lately and I noticed many people don't really have maximized characters despite high wing levels. I also notice people that I play with who have impressive looking characters but really glaring mistakes so I would like to go through and point out some ways you can make your char stronger in pvp. Some things will be expensive, but I'll try to offer good alternatives.

First off, base stats in this game and crit def/crit damage are king. They are what will really make your character good. For now, ignore your gems and ignore your mastery/resists. They aren't the primary thing you need to be concerned about. If you want to be strong, you need 12/12 gear, and you need a set with high base stats, specifically high attack. 12/12 purple gear is king and it will really make you strong. If you have the money, you will also want high reforges. Some possible gearing options:

-88 Champ gear.
If you go this path, you have a few different options. The cser build or otherwise the perfect build is to go zodiac weapon, gold boots, gold gloves, then 5 piece champ gear. If you have the resources, this is the most powerful champ build available.

The second option is to go 5 piece champ and then 3 piece crit def blues(chest, pants, waist), ideally with accuracy on them. The reason why this option is good is because youll have high pve intensity, high accuracy, high attack, and just enough crit def to avoid getting killed easily. It will be squishy but offer very high damage on players and in pve. This is my build that I use now, and i'd consider it the best option for new/normal players.

Third thing you can do is go 4-5 champ gear and 3-4 piece old arena purple. This will make you lose damage and accuracy, but you will gain a lot of tankiness for pvp. If all you care about is pvp and have this build available, it's a good choice.

-old season arena
You would use 5 piece purple, then either the cser build(gold boots, gloves, zodiac wep) or 3 piece champ for the accuracy bonus. This build lacks acc and crit damage, but it is tanky and youll still have good damage in pvp.

-Ele gear
Use zodiac wep + 7 elemental gear if you have the option and want to follow this build. You can also do a mix of ele gear, gold gear/zodiac, and champion gear. When building an elemental gear focused character, you should work with what drops you have available and use what makes sense to fill in the missing slots. For squishy characters, it may be worth using a few crit def blues to avoid getting killed easily while using ele gear builds. This is primarily suited to warriors and other characters with high hp.

-Evasion
This is not where I'm experienced; basically, you should stack evasion as high as possible if you want to go this route. If you aren't going all in on evasion, it's worthless. If you have any evasion, you go for as much as you can. Partial evasion builds are bad, but you still want to stack your base stats as high as possible using purples and look for ways to get high crit def.

-How to id?
Any purple pvp gear(arena/12v12 accessories), id for crit def. It doesn't matter what else is on there for right now, just every piece should have a crit def id. On pvp gear, it is easier to get crit id's than on pve gear, mainly because pvp gear cant id for accuracy.

On pve gear, if youre a standard crit build, id for acc and crit damage. Crit damage>all as far as id's go, but it will be expensive to get a lot of crit damage id's so if you get triple acc it is a fine substitute. For people working with less money, double acc id's on purples are fine(I used them myself till I could get better). Any dead id's(non acc not crit related id's) should be elemental attack, normal attack, mastery, or resists IF you can afford to work on good id's. Because base stats are king, getting attack or mastery in any way possible will help max your char out.

In general, the more crit damage and crit defense you get the stronger your character will be. If you can id for these things, they will help. Crit dodge and crit chance wont boost your char power as much, they are support stats to a good base. Never take crit chance id's over crit defense/crit damage id's.

-Reforging
Assuming you have 12/12 gear already, you will want to use basic reforge stones and get both stats on your item to 50% plus if you have limited money. This will help a lot. Medium money, go for 60% on both. Aiming for great stats, go for 70% on both(but expect to pay a lot). If you decide to go past 70% reforge, you can't use the basic reforge stone anymore. The only realistic way to do it is to use astral reforge crystals and then reset if its something you don't like. When you reset, there will only be about 3 possible outcomes for each reforge item so spamming over and over won't help. It's mostly luck. Using astral reforge crystals, it is possible to get 90%+ reforges with only a few tries. I was able to take my wep from 75% attack reforge to 98% with about 4-5 astral reforge crystals. Reforging to 50% is a great thing to do, past that is a luxury but still nice.

-Offhand
You need an offhand for pvp with your main mastery(decent amount) and a crit defense attribute on it. Period. if you want to be competitive, aim for this over other things. Not everyone is gonna be able to afford it, but if you want to be strong you should aim for an offhand with crit defense on it and good mastery.

-Accessories
Gold rings/neck are the best option if you can make them 85 to 12/12 them. If you can only make them 78, don't bother. This is extremely unrealistic. Don't even try unless you're super rich, but it is the best option.

The best realistic option is to aim for 85 purple battlefield accessories and 12/12 them. For normal players with a lot of time, this is your best in slot option. They should be ided crit def(or crit damage for some warriors/sins).

Crafted rings with crit def are fine. Crafted neck with crit def/crit damage are also fine. The other attributes on these don't matter; the only thing that matters is the crit def/crit damage you get. If you have a squishy build, and don't have 12v12 rings, you NEED crafted rings/neck with crit def on it. It is the only way youre gonna be able to pvp without getting insta killed.

-fashion id's
Try to pick up stuff with crit dodge on it for cheap. You can also look for things with power attributes(crit damage/def, accuracy, attack/mastery/resist), but it is better to buy fashion with a crit dodge id already on it. If you are patient you can get them cheap and it will help.

-Pets
you should have 4-6 pets, and each pet should have 2 pet buffs on it. You need both your class mastery buffs, both resist buffs, deadliness, losing grip, for mages sinister spirit, your 2nd mastery pet buff(for example ocean boost and flame boost), iron bone 3, invigorate 3, and brute force 3, and precision 3. All of these will add a lot of power to your char and are worth it.

Invigorate and iron bone scale with pets defensively, so you want a defensive focused pet with high defense and hp. I use tinkerer, but I don't know current best option.

Brute force scales with attack. Octobuddy or most other level 90 str pets will work. The pet should be blue, and you can use dawn scrolls to get a high growth rate on attack. If you can 10+ the attack it will help once your pet gets level 90 to give you a nice buff.

Pets are primarily for buffing, making them good in combat isn't that important. I would consider pet buffs a core thing that everyone should have.

-Soul power
This, by far, makes your char op. Spend gold on sp, bot whenever you can, do what it takes to max your sp tree. Nothing else you do will matter in comparison to soul power. Try to grind out soul coins and soul power. It will make your character SO much better. If you have weak sp, your char will be trash.

-how to gem
Two goldsparks, four eagle eye, four shatter shard, 4 crystalline, 2 twilight. Ragefire in every piece. Then bloodstone in every piece(after ragefires). Last 2 slots use solarflare or azurecloud. Ragefire and bloodstone level doesn't matter. Leave them level 2 or level 3 or whatever. It doesn't matter, they aren't gonna improve your character. Buying level 4 or 5 ragefire and bloodstones will do nothing for you. Good eagle eyes help, but again don't really matter. If you leave them level 2-3 it's not gonna change much. Solar and azure: don't matter.

So, the gems that do matter: goldspark twilight crystalline shattershard. Goldsparks and twilights are support gems. They will make a good char better. Critting a lot or avoiding being crit helps. If you can get high level goldsparks and twilights, it will make your char good. It is not game breaking, but the crit chance war is important because you want enough crit chance to crit them through their crit dodge.

Shattershards: if you are a crit based character, maximizing these will improve your pve damage and make you better in pvp. If your opponent has 300% crit def, you need 400%+ crit damage to be able to do any extra damage to them off a crit. So forcing your crit damage or crit def as high as possible will help you win these stat wars. If you are at 350% crit damage and facing someone with 300% crit def, increasing crit damage by 5% will do nothing since your crits already did nothing. it's all or nothing here. If you can't get enough crit damage to matter, don't worry about your shatter shards much.

Crystallines: THE most important gem. Crit defense will keep you alive. I would go for a level 4 crystalline before I went for a level 3 ragefire. The difference is that huge and they are worth the cost... you need good crystallines to stay alive in pvp. They are the only gem that actually matters a lot.

-Mastery/resists
Get your mastery to whatever you can reasonably afford. Don't go crazy; its not worth neglecting the rest of your character. Once you have money, try to level your 2nd primary mastery up to a decent level. It is better to have 2 masteries reasonably high in some cases than to only spam 1 super high and neglect the other. The cost will go up a lot, so only go for what you can reasonably afford. It's not important to have it super maxed out.

As far as resists go, there is the main four: water, wind, physical, and dark. These are the only resists that matter. On my char these four are level 80 with near maxed fusion gems while my light fire and earth are at 40 with almost no fusion gems. You have to focus on whats popular, not all resists are equally useful. I would even say water is not that important lately, so just primarily try to get your wind/phys and dark up. WORK ON FUSION GEMS. They are good for the cost and easy to farm... try to use fusion gems. They will go a long way.

Mastery/resists help but they aren't game breaking. Don't spend all your money in this area.

-Skills
Max all your skills. Obvious, but do it anyways. It will improve things a lot.

-Stat titles
Don't really matter, but if you can afford them, sure. Don't work too hard for the ones from orbs. If you cs, get the acc title(ihawk). It is important and will help. Mostly you should ignore stat titles besides ihawk. These are luxuries and can be skipped.

-gloops
Used to be important, don't really matter so much now. If you have problems with reflect, quick is a good one and also the dark resist and wind resist glooping options are good also to avoid getting spiked by sins and warriors. The crit def gloop is a good option since patch and if you have weak crit def you should aim for this. If you haven't worked on gloops AT ALL, I would say at least work on the crit def gloop and maybe use your 2nd one for dark/wind resist or iron skin. It gets harder, but its a good improvement in the beginning. It is mostly a luxury now but you will see good improvements from gloops still.

-runes
Aim for good/rare class skills, they are worth the money and will improve things for you. Spend money on runes when you have the chance... save up and wait for good runes to be made, and then buy them. This is an important area, prioritize high energy/rare skill runes over other things. Buy good runes over resists and gems. You should have a primary rune color, and a seconday rune color. Your secondary rune color should offer you some benefit for leveling up... for example, for mages 30 yellow energy is good as a secondary rune color. Your primary rune color you should aim for the most op, obtainable goal. For mages, this is 40 rune energy. If you are rich go for 80 rune energy, but only if youre super rich and can afford it. To get to 80 energy you will need 9-10 energy runes, advanced runes, and the last rune slot opened. Don't bother with this if you think you won't get there. Mid tier characters definetly want around 40-50 energy. Use all your off color runes for good class skills and if you think you wont reach high rune energy ALWAYS prioritize good rune talents over energy.

Your rune build should always have great skills on every rune and your energy should make sense. Every rune should give you a talent point that you care about. Super high energy is expensive but op if you can do it.

-Transmuting
Since patch, transmuting has become easier so it's worthwhile if you can afford it. Try to transmute ele attack on all your gear when possible because it will give you a decent amount of attack for a good price. You can get better transmutes by using 85 gear with stronger id's but this is expensive and not worth it for the casual/normal player. Transmuting is a luxury; you don't need to do it, but it is worth the cost if you can afford it. If you don't have money skip it.

-fluxing
fluxing(giving your gear an extra id) is not worth it on purple gear for the casual player. If you can afford it, it will help, but only as one of the final things you do with your char. you should flux blue gear if possible because it isn't that expensive and you can farm it with wargod points. This is a luxury and can be skipped if youre on a budget.

-animas
don't spend money in this area if you can help it. Level them off blues/random anima charms and use your 10 free trains a day. Aim for the lower tier stats but only go for the super high ones if youre looking to finalize your char. Again, avoid spending money on this area, but actively farm to improve it using in game things.

-anima skills
When anima shards are cheap, you should wait to work on this until you have both anima skills unlocked. Try to aim for both shields or a shield + arcane acceleration. You don't need extremely high level skills. Getting level 2 shields are good and going past that is a luxury.

-attack
I made a section for this because its worth noting that if you want to do more damage, look to get more attack in every single area you can find. In pvp attack is huge. This is what will make you op, along with high crit def/crit damage. You need to stack your attack as high as possible.

TLDR/Summary: Max your sp, get all your pet buffs you can get. Get good crystallines. Get decent rune energy, with good talents on all of your runes. Maximize your crit def/crit damage. Get purple gear and reforge it, get 12/12 refines. Maximize your base stats. Get good accessories with crit defense on them. Everything else is mostly a luxury.
Post edited by Rothj - Eyrda on

Comments

• archwar
    archwar Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Someone give this man a cookie!
  • bardiie
    bardiie Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One thing to add: PvP with a tree that is designed to maximize pvp in your class (i.e. not wind or fire mage). The amount of effort it takes for these classes to be useful in pvp is MUCH MUCH higher than for the pvp spec counterpart (ice).

• Orzog - Illyfue
    Orzog - Illyfue Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    so max everything possible and get best possible gears. got it xD
    - Lv90 burst mm - Illyfue since 2011
    - Sry about engrish

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sephmeister - Eyrda
    Sephmeister - Eyrda Posts: 1,249 Arc User
    edited March 2015

in a nutshell xD
    | ★ <Total Darkness> ★ | ★ <Twin Emperor's Bane> ★ | ★ <Balerion Slayer> ★ |

"Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away."
  • bstgfatality
    bstgfatality Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like things like this, it promotes the growth of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiceywings
    spiceywings Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like things like this, it promotes the growth of the game.

seems like a good idea until you work hard in game for a long time to build a character that fits the descriptions OP listed above only to one day be better than OP and watch him try to tear you down and trash you to bits in world chat because of it :rolleyes:

fw community best community!
  • sharii69
    sharii69 Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just don't have the effort to point out how wrong this guide is x.x
  • latose
    latose Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2015

This comment made my morning :D:D
  • ToLLL - Shylia
    ToLLL - Shylia Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tl;dr
    My youtube : Youtube.com/Tolgrang
  • imbossy85
    imbossy85 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for this! At least now for those who has leveled like crazy because of this 4x exp event at least have something to look forward to or goals to set...
  • Nyos - Nyos
    Nyos - Nyos Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't know your class, but you sound like either Bard, Mage or Vampire. Or if you were other class you are going to need some spike dmg(Hight cirt dmg) or else cant do anything against CC class. After reading your whole text you prettymuch said get best gear and get +12 everything, which is totally impossible for newbies, for example my alt reaper That I made since reaper patch have got only 2 piece +12 and if i actully farmed more, i guess it will have 4 piece or less, unless i were super lucky. Yes i have used like +-2k star crystals and that is what i got with it.

If some really low found person want some ok chars, basic needed is +12 weapon and boots, cirt gems on all then put Eagle Eye,Ragefire and bloodstone if got more gem slot.

Get 2-3 pets, learn cirt skill, att skill and hp skill to apropiate pets, duble mastey skills. Resistance skill if extra money.

Get 1 mastery to hight(lvl80+) ingore the second till have lvl 60+ resistance.

Read class section about what skill to use, gem priority and if it is possible to be eva etc. Ask your guild if something is unclear, there is probably too many pro players that want to teach you.

Do Main quest and do everything it ask you to do, SP,ANIMA,HR,God thing etc. That sould cover everything that is needed. Then all you need is patient, maybe in a few year you will catch others as others quit game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conterkiller
    conterkiller Posts: 2,479 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    " Crit dodge and crit chance wont boost your char power as much, they are support stats to a good base. Never take crit chance id's over crit defense/crit damage id's. "

Except when you can't crit at all? and your 500 cdmg becomes useless, because u cant crit?

i've seen this problem before in people, they had 450+ cdmg, but only 35ish cchance (pretty low to current standards).. and ended up never critting a person with 40%+ cdodge (pretty common, specially on arena gear users) which isnt even as high as it can get nowadays..

" The only realistic way to do it is to use astral reforge crystals and then reset if its something you don't like. "

Only certain CSr ranked people can reset reforges, this is not an option for the general population. Im not sure which CSr rank but i think is one of the higher ones.

" I would even say water is not that important lately, so just primarily try to get your wind/phys and dark up. "

Im pretty sure water is one of the most important ones, with the amount of water bards and ice mages around

" Mostly you should ignore stat titles besides ihawk. "

But you made threads and complains about a 50 atk title given years ago.. lol

" -gloops
    Used to be important, don't really matter so much now.

If you haven't worked on gloops AT ALL, I would say at least work on the crit def gloop and maybe use your 2nd one for dark/wind resist or iron skin. "

How are gloops less important now than they used to be when you say that people should get Iron skin (which was the only nerfed stat in gloops)?
    Iron Skin is very useless now compared to how good it was before, and i dont think people should pick it over other resistance ones. And gloops didnt Lose importance, unless you were aiming for iron skin only.. lol
    Gloops are just as important as they were before, was it a big or small importance, if we are talking merely PVPwise.

" -attack
    I made a section for this because its worth noting that if you want to do more damage, look to get more attack in every single area you can find. In pvp attack is huge. This is what will make you op, along with high crit def/crit damage. You need to stack your attack as high as possible. "

Why end up with this when you said earlier not to max your ragefire gems and leave them at lv2 or lv3?
    If attack is AS important as crit def/cdmg, why max Goldsparks over ragefires? or why not max ragefires over shatters or cristallines? if they all share the same level of importance, not to mention the price, since from 1 lv4 Cristalline u could get 5 or 6 Ragefires lv4.

o.o

• BalthazarF - Shylia
    BalthazarF - Shylia Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bardiie wrote: »
    One thing to add: PvP with a tree that is designed to maximize pvp in your class (i.e. not wind or fire mage). The amount of effort it takes for these classes to be useful in pvp is MUCH MUCH higher than for the pvp spec counterpart (ice).

I am a fire mage build for pvp. And it workds really well. One tips i ll give : never listen to the crowd.

transmut are a must : you can get 300+ elem atk on all piece, and easely about 200, with no money involve

gloop is a must have too

i like the tip about not caring about fire resistance. I beg you all to please follow this tip :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalthazarF - Shylia
    BalthazarF - Shylia Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2015

" -attack
    I made a section for this because its worth noting that if you want to do more damage, look to get more attack in every single area you can find. In pvp attack is huge. This is what will make you op, along with high crit def/crit damage. You need to stack your attack as high as possible. "

Why end up with this when you said earlier not to max your ragefire gems and leave them at lv2 or lv3?
    If attack is AS important as crit def/cdmg, why max Goldsparks over ragefires? or why not max ragefires over shatters or cristallines? if they all share the same level of importance, not to mention the price, since from 1 lv4 Cristalline u could get 5 or 6 Ragefires lv4.

o.o

^this !

it just doesnot make sens at all. ragefire is defenitly worth it.

This is just my opinion but in term of offensive stat for pvp, atk > all (only broken stat that cant be negate by another one. All other offensive stat has almost a 1/1 ratio with them defensive counter exept atk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rothj - Eyrda
    edited March 2015
    " Crit dodge and crit chance wont boost your char power as much, they are support stats to a good base. Never take crit chance id's over crit defense/crit damage id's. "

Except when you can't crit at all? and your 500 cdmg becomes useless, because u cant crit?

i've seen this problem before in people, they had 450+ cdmg, but only 35ish cchance (pretty low to current standards).. and ended up never critting a person with 40%+ cdodge (pretty common, specially on arena gear users) which isnt even as high as it can get nowadays..

" The only realistic way to do it is to use astral reforge crystals and then reset if its something you don't like. "

Only certain CSr ranked people can reset reforges, this is not an option for the general population. Im not sure which CSr rank but i think is one of the higher ones.

" I would even say water is not that important lately, so just primarily try to get your wind/phys and dark up. "

Im pretty sure water is one of the most important ones, with the amount of water bards and ice mages around

" Mostly you should ignore stat titles besides ihawk. "

But you made threads and complains about a 50 atk title given years ago.. lol

" -gloops
    Used to be important, don't really matter so much now.

If you haven't worked on gloops AT ALL, I would say at least work on the crit def gloop and maybe use your 2nd one for dark/wind resist or iron skin. "

How are gloops less important now than they used to be when you say that people should get Iron skin (which was the only nerfed stat in gloops)?
    Iron Skin is very useless now compared to how good it was before, and i dont think people should pick it over other resistance ones. And gloops didnt Lose importance, unless you were aiming for iron skin only.. lol
    Gloops are just as important as they were before, was it a big or small importance, if we are talking merely PVPwise.

" -attack

o.o

So, I know youre finding points to disagree with just for the sake of it but I'll answer them. Most classes have 100% crit skills, or some way to boost crit on certain skills. I never said don't get crit... but if you don't have crit damage or crit defense it's not gonna do as much. Lets say the value of 1% crit = 7% crit damage. If you get 10% more crit it will be nice. You will crit a lot more in pvp and be a bit more consistent, for some classes you'll cc more. If you get 70% more crit damage you will be noticeably more powerful. Same thing with crit dodge vs crit defense. There are some crits you cant avoid, stacking your crit defense will make you more powerful overall. If you're gonna tell me you would id for 1% crit chance instead of crit damage I think you'd be wrong unless your crit damage was already close to 500.
    edit: btw just wanted an obvious counter point. Lets say you take your 45% crit chance 470 crit damage character and go vs someone with 370%+ crit defense. You won't "crit" at all in that scenario either because your crits won't do more damage than a normal hit.

Reforge point: ok.

water resist: yeah, ice mages and water bards are around. Are they as prevelant as the other resists lately? I'd say no, but it's preference anyways so idk why you're picking this point apart. I even said water resist is one of my good ones. If someone is trying to save money they have to pick what they can afford.

Stat title: well, theres no option to get that title is there? So telling them to go get a title that's no longer in game would be stupid. Also, something like that would only matter if you're maxing your char which ill get to later

gloops: lol what are you even talking about? Before iron skin was everything. Now that it got nerfed gloops don't benefit you as much as before. Idk why that's so complicated. The other gloop options aren't as powerful as old iron skin. I did say gloops are still good; but if old iron skin was in the game I would tell new players to max that out as a priority. I also didn't say to take new iron skin, I just suggested that it's an option. It gives 24 resist in total but spread across all resists. If you want a balanced character it's not a lot worse than the other gloops.

ragefires: So, it's because the difference between ragefires is small in comparison to other attack increases. A properly built character in 12/12 decent reforge purples is gonna be around 10k attack. You can get hundreds more attack through reforging, sp, and better gear. Ragefire 4 is 120 attack while ragefire 5 is 165 attack. So why would you spend all your money on 45 attack then you can gain hundreds of attack in other areas? 1-2% crit chance or crit dodge is gonna help you more than 50 attack. I have seen a lot of people with poor gear who have ragefire v in their gear... I put that in because no one should be doing this. If you aren't already strong in other areas and max your ragefires, you won't see any improvement from it and get rolled over. Obviously, the end goal is to max everything, but not everyone is gonna be able to do that.
    I don't know your class, but you sound like either Bard, Mage or Vampire. Or if you were other class you are going to need some spike dmg(Hight cirt dmg) or else cant do anything against CC class. After reading your whole text you prettymuch said get best gear and get +12 everything, which is totally impossible for newbies, for example my alt reaper That I made since reaper patch have got only 2 piece +12 and if i actully farmed more, i guess it will have 4 piece or less, unless i were super lucky. Yes i have used like +-2k star crystals and that is what i got with it.

If some really low found person want some ok chars, basic needed is +12 weapon and boots, cirt gems on all then put Eagle Eye,Ragefire and bloodstone if got more gem slot.

Get 2-3 pets, learn cirt skill, att skill and hp skill to apropiate pets, duble mastey skills. Resistance skill if extra money.

Get 1 mastery to hight(lvl80+) ingore the second till have lvl 60+ resistance.

Read class section about what skill to use, gem priority and if it is possible to be eva etc. Ask your guild if something is unclear, there is probably too many pro players that want to teach you.

Do Main quest and do everything it ask you to do, SP,ANIMA,HR,God thing etc. That sould cover everything that is needed. Then all you need is patient, maybe in a few year you will catch others as others quit game.

If you get 80 mastery and don't have full 12/12 it would be terrible. You should be prioritizing 12/12 over everything else. That is why I put that and said ignore your gems and masteries for now. If you don't have full 12/12 and get level 80 mastery your char will be weak.
  • morsaeterna
    morsaeterna Posts: 720 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For evansion:

The more the better. At 300 you are only saved from alts, at 400 new-medium level players cant hit you well, when you hit 500 most players will have trouble to hit you and at 600+ you reached the competitive level on evansion. BUT evansion on plain will gonna weaken your char since its the most rare identifyable stat. You gonna sacrafice stat combos like att+mastery+crit to get the lucky eva stat. The highest possible eva ID on a 85+ purole gear is triple 7 eva.
    You can easly reach 450+ evansion on champion gear with the proper gems and ID without sacraficing valuable gear pieces.

For general survive in pvp enviroment:
    Choose gear for your playstyle.
    Arena:Good hp,good resistance,avarage attack,good accuracy,basic crit bonus
    Wargod:avarage hp,good attack,good accuracy,mastery bonus

At 85+
    Champion set:Good hp,good attack,good accuracy,mastery bonus,increased crit bonus

The wargod gear is ow avaible for direct upgrade into champion gear.

Never use gears under your current level expect if you have the maximal possible bonuses on them (see at dual crit base stat necklances and extremely rare ID combinations.)
    Improve your gear to a minimum 9/12 fortify and after that start embeding gems.
    Hr is hard but it gives mastery bonus and resistance bonus use them wisely.
    The least used attack masteries are light and earth you can forgot them.

Sidenote: This guide on the overall is good but has too many critical errors.
    Example: the 85+ soulforce is now avaible for wargod points and gives hp+crit def IDs,this is very valuable knoweledge for those who just started gearing up for pvp and dont have the premium soulforce jet.(the one that costs 2000 tof)
  • conterkiller
    conterkiller Posts: 2,479 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So, I know youre finding points to disagree with just for the sake of it but I'll answer them. Most classes have 100% crit skills, or some way to boost crit on certain skills. I never said don't get crit... but if you don't have crit damage or crit defense it's not gonna do as much. Lets say the value of 1% crit = 7% crit damage. If you get 10% more crit it will be nice. You will crit a lot more in pvp and be a bit more consistent, for some classes you'll cc more. If you get 70% more crit damage you will be noticeably more powerful. Same thing with crit dodge vs crit defense. There are some crits you cant avoid, stacking your crit defense will make you more powerful overall. If you're gonna tell me you would id for 1% crit chance instead of crit damage I think you'd be wrong unless your crit damage was already close to 500.
    edit: btw just wanted an obvious counter point. Lets say you take your 45% crit chance 470 crit damage character and go vs someone with 370%+ crit defense. You won't "crit" at all in that scenario either because your crits won't do more damage than a normal hit.

Reforge point: ok.

water resist: yeah, ice mages and water bards are around. Are they as prevelant as the other resists lately? I'd say no, but it's preference anyways so idk why you're picking this point apart. I even said water resist is one of my good ones. If someone is trying to save money they have to pick what they can afford.

Stat title: well, theres no option to get that title is there? So telling them to go get a title that's no longer in game would be stupid. Also, something like that would only matter if you're maxing your char which ill get to later

gloops: lol what are you even talking about? Before iron skin was everything. Now that it got nerfed gloops don't benefit you as much as before. Idk why that's so complicated. The other gloop options aren't as powerful as old iron skin. I did say gloops are still good; but if old iron skin was in the game I would tell new players to max that out as a priority. I also didn't say to take new iron skin, I just suggested that it's an option. It gives 24 resist in total but spread across all resists. If you want a balanced character it's not a lot worse than the other gloops.

ragefires: So, it's because the difference between ragefires is small in comparison to other attack increases. A properly built character in 12/12 decent reforge purples is gonna be around 10k attack. You can get hundreds more attack through reforging, sp, and better gear. Ragefire 4 is 120 attack while ragefire 5 is 165 attack. So why would you spend all your money on 45 attack then you can gain hundreds of attack in other areas? 1-2% crit chance or crit dodge is gonna help you more than 50 attack. I have seen a lot of people with poor gear who have ragefire v in their gear... I put that in because no one should be doing this. If you aren't already strong in other areas and max your ragefires, you won't see any improvement from it and get rolled over. Obviously, the end goal is to max everything, but not everyone is gonna be able to do that.

If you get 80 mastery and don't have full 12/12 it would be terrible. You should be prioritizing 12/12 over everything else. That is why I put that and said ignore your gems and masteries for now. If you don't have full 12/12 and get level 80 mastery your char will be weak.

Im not finding points to disagree with just for the sake of it,
    im finding flaws in the guide because u say one thing in one point and then advice the opposite in another lol

Yeah i know what u mean with the cdmg/cchance thing, and most classes dont have 100% cchance skills.. only like 2 classes mebe?, br/ice mages? (or 3 if u count stealthed sins which increase cchance but not to 100%, or 4 if u add a warrior under divine uphold which doesnt give 100% unless u have 50% cchance already) have that option.. and its not 100% all the time either, it requires certain situations and skills to be triggered before u get the 100% cchance bonus.
    But For those classes that can have a big crit chance boost, i guess u could prioritize cdmg a lot more than cchance. but for other classes that dont get a constant 100% cchance option or the ability to get a 40% cchance boost.. having low cchance base and high cdmg wont do much unless u fight non-defensive built people that have low cdodge..

And in that scenario that you mentioned, u'd be trying to fight a person entirely built for cdef.. which makes me think of a divine priest.. or a water bard.. which would make sense that they'd be able to tank your dmg.. and i didnt argue that cdef is slightly more important than crit dodge.. but a person with full cdef.. and no crit dodge will be crit CCd all the time.. and sure, he can tank a lot of the damage.. but he wont be able to move..
    the only class that can support this build would be a water bard.. which we see on DT.. he can get crit for no dmg because he focused all in cdef since he cant get crit CCd thanks to water bard bubble..
    any other class that have 400% cdef and 20% cdodge will just be crit stunned/silenced all the time until eventually run out of wrath and die lol
    The point is having a balance between the stats, specially since we are talking about PVP..
    the build u'r suggesting of full cdmg over cchance.. is more aimed towards PVE, because mobs have no cdodge.. so even if u have 30-35 cchance.. ull be critting quite often and make use of your super high cdmg..

The water resist point was all good until in the end u said.. to forget abt water resist and just go for the other 3.. lol
    im pretty sure ive fought more ice mages and water bards than venom sins and dark vampires lately..
    i'd say they are equally important and people should focus all 4 equally..

The gloop comment was because you suggested people to get iron skin even tho you understand how nerfed it got and how **** it is now, if we had the option to reset our points i wouldnt even get lv1 iron skin..
    At lv12 of the new iron skin u get 48 resistances.. compared to the 288 from the other gloop resistances.. that is pretty ****.. and u said it yourself.. there is mainly 4 resists that really matter, based on our servers population.. lol

Ragefires.. getting gems for free is easier than getting 12/12 gear now.. lol
    u can get all the gems for free all u need to buy is the fusion agents.. maybe before this patch where you had to farm GL for gems.. but now gems are incredibly easy to get u dont need to spend money on them.. plus the Fusion agents at the npc are permanent.. so that makes for really cheap fusion agents as well..
    Getting gems is not what it used to be.. and getting lv4 ragefires seems easier and cheaper than lv80 mastery or full 12/12 gear lol

• Demyx - Storm Legion
    Demyx - Storm Legion Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Haha, just be a Light Bard! Heal so much that they waste their time trying to kill you! Get the points in your soul power to cast self blessings while under controlling effects! Nothing better than casting a Solo of Light that can restore you to full health while your baptism undoes all their hard work!

I should mention...I don't really PvP much...and that was a joke. Jooooooke!
    Part of the fun of playing the game is wading through 98% of the idiots and trolls to find the 2% who you enjoy playing with.
  • DarkWatersX - Storm Legion
    DarkWatersX - Storm Legion Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So, I've been doing a lot of 12v12 lately and I noticed many people don't really have maximized characters despite high wing levels. I also notice people that I play with who have impressive looking characters but really glaring mistakes so I would like to go through and point out some ways you can make your char stronger in pvp. Some things will be expensive, but I'll try to offer good alternatives.

First off, base stats in this game and crit def/crit damage are king. They are what will really make your character good. For n?ow, ignore your gems and ignore your mastery/resists. They aren't the primary thing you need to be concerned about. If you want to be strong, you need 12/12 gear, and you need a set with high base stats, specifically high attack. 12/12 purple gear is king and it will really make you strong. If you have the money, you will also want high reforges. Some possible gearing options:

-88 Champ gear.
    If you go this path, you have a few different options. The cser build or otherwise the perfect build is to go zodiac weapon, gold boots, gold gloves, then 5 piece champ gear. If you have the resources, this is the most powerful champ build available.

The second option is to go 5 piece champ and then 3 piece crit def blues(chest, pants, waist), ideally with accuracy on them. The reason why this option is good is because youll have high pve intensity, high accuracy, high attack, and just enough crit def to avoid getting killed easily. It will be squishy but offer very high damage on players and in pve. This is my build that I use now, and i'd consider it the best option for new/normal players.

Third thing you can do is go 4-5 champ gear and 3-4 piece old arena purple. This will make you lose damage and accuracy, but you will gain a lot of tankiness for pvp. If all you care about is pvp and have this build available, it's a good choice.

-old season arena
    You would use 5 piece purple, then either the cser build(gold boots, gloves, zodiac wep) or 3 piece champ for the accuracy bonus. This build lacks acc and crit damage, but it is tanky and youll still have good damage in pvp.

-Ele gear
    Use zodiac wep + 7 elemental gear if you have the option and want to follow this build. You can also do a mix of ele gear, gold gear/zodiac, and champion gear. When building an elemental gear focused character, you should work with what drops you have available and use what makes sense to fill in the missing slots. For squishy characters, it may be worth using a few crit def blues to avoid getting killed easily while using ele gear builds. This is primarily suited to warriors and other characters with high hp.

-Evasion
    This is not where I'm experienced; basically, you should stack evasion as high as possible if you want to go this route. If you aren't going all in on evasion, it's worthless. If you have any evasion, you go for as much as you can. Partial evasion builds are bad, but you still want to stack your base stats as high as possible using purples and look for ways to get high crit def.

-How to id?
    Any purple pvp gear(arena/12v12 accessories), id for crit def. It doesn't matter what else is on there for right now, just every piece should have a crit def id. On pvp gear, it is easier to get crit id's than on pve gear, mainly because pvp gear cant id for accuracy.

On pve gear, if youre a standard crit build, id for acc and crit damage. Crit damage>all as far as id's go, but it will be expensive to get a lot of crit damage id's so if you get triple acc it is a fine substitute. For people working with less money, double acc id's on purples are fine(I used them myself till I could get better). Any dead id's(non acc not crit related id's) should be elemental attack, normal attack, mastery, or resists IF you can afford to work on good id's. Because base stats are king, getting attack or mastery in any way possible will help max your char out.

In general, the more crit damage and crit defense you get the stronger your character will be. If you can id for these things, they will help. Crit dodge and crit chance wont boost your char power as much, they are support stats to a good base. Never take crit chance id's over crit defense/crit damage id's.

-Reforging
    Assuming you have 12/12 gear already, you will want to use basic reforge stones and get both stats on your item to 50% plus if you have limited money. This will help a lot. Medium money, go for 60% on both. Aiming for great stats, go for 70% on both(but expect to pay a lot). If you decide to go past 70% reforge, you can't use the basic reforge stone anymore. The only realistic way to do it is to use astral reforge crystals and then reset if its something you don't like. When you reset, there will only be about 3 possible outcomes for each reforge item so spamming over and over won't help. It's mostly luck. Using astral reforge crystals, it is possible to get 90%+ reforges with only a few tries. I was able to take my wep from 75% attack reforge to 98% with about 4-5 astral reforge crystals. Reforging to 50% is a great thing to do, past that is a luxury but still nice.

-Offhand
    You need an offhand for pvp with your main mastery(decent amount) and a crit defense attribute on it. Period. if you want to be competitive, aim for this over other things. Not everyone is gonna be able to afford it, but if you want to be strong you should aim for an offhand with crit defense on it and good mastery.

-Accessories
    Gold rings/neck are the best option if you can make them 85 to 12/12 them. If you can only make them 78, don't bother. This is extremely unrealistic. Don't even try unless you're super rich, but it is the best option.

The best realistic option is to aim for 85 purple battlefield accessories and 12/12 them. For normal players with a lot of time, this is your best in slot option. They should be ided crit def(or crit damage for some warriors/sins).

Crafted rings with crit def are fine. Crafted neck with crit def/crit damage are also fine. The other attributes on these don't matter; the only thing that matters is the crit def/crit damage you get. If you have a squishy build, and don't have 12v12 rings, you NEED crafted rings/neck with crit def on it. It is the only way youre gonna be able to pvp without getting insta killed.

-fashion id's
    Try to pick up stuff with crit dodge on it for cheap. You can also look for things with power attributes(crit damage/def, accuracy, attack/mastery/resist), but it is better to buy fashion with a crit dodge id already on it. If you are patient you can get them cheap and it will help.

-Pets
    you should have 4-6 pets, and each pet should have 2 pet buffs on it. You need both your class mastery buffs, both resist buffs, deadliness, losing grip, for mages sinister spirit, your 2nd mastery pet buff(for example ocean boost and flame boost), iron bone 3, invigorate 3, and brute force 3, and precision 3. All of these will add a lot of power to your char and are worth it.

Invigorate and iron bone scale with pets defensively, so you want a defensive focused pet with high defense and hp. I use tinkerer, but I don't know current best option.

Brute force scales with attack. Octobuddy or most other level 90 str pets will work. The pet should be blue, and you can use dawn scrolls to get a high growth rate on attack. If you can 10+ the attack it will help once your pet gets level 90 to give you a nice buff.

Pets are primarily for buffing, making them good in combat isn't that important. I would consider pet buffs a core thing that everyone should have.

-Soul power
    This, by far, makes your char op. Spend gold on sp, bot whenever you can, do what it takes to max your sp tree. Nothing else you do will matter in comparison to soul power. Try to grind out soul coins and soul power. It will make your character SO much better. If you have weak sp, your char will be trash.

-how to gem
    Two goldsparks, four eagle eye, four shatter shard, 4 crystalline, 2 twilight. Ragefire in every piece. Then bloodstone in every piece(after ragefires). Last 2 slots use solarflare or azurecloud. Ragefire and bloodstone level doesn't matter. Leave them level 2 or level 3 or whatever. It doesn't matter, they aren't gonna improve your character. Buying level 4 or 5 ragefire and bloodstones will do nothing for you. Good eagle eyes help, but again don't really matter. If you leave them level 2-3 it's not gonna change much. Solar and azure: don't matter.

So, the gems that do matter: goldspark twilight crystalline shattershard. Goldsparks and twilights are support gems. They will make a good char better. Critting a lot or avoiding being crit helps. If you can get high level goldsparks and twilights, it will make your char good. It is not game breaking, but the crit chance war is important because you want enough crit chance to crit them through their crit dodge.

Shattershards: if you are a crit based character, maximizing these will improve your pve damage and make you better in pvp. If your opponent has 300% crit def, you need 400%+ crit damage to be able to do any extra damage to them off a crit. So forcing your crit damage or crit def as high as possible will help you win these stat wars. If you are at 350% crit damage and facing someone with 300% crit def, increasing crit damage by 5% will do nothing since your crits already did nothing. it's all or nothing here. If you can't get enough crit damage to matter, don't worry about your shatter shards much.

Crystallines: THE most important gem. Crit defense will keep you alive. I would go for a level 4 crystalline before I went for a level 3 ragefire. The difference is that huge and they are worth the cost... you need good crystallines to stay alive in pvp. They are the only gem that actually matters a lot.

-Mastery/resists
    Get your mastery to whatever you can reasonably afford. Don't go crazy; its not worth neglecting the rest of your character. Once you have money, try to level your 2nd primary mastery up to a decent level. It is better to have 2 masteries reasonably high in some cases than to only spam 1 super high and neglect the other. The cost will go up a lot, so only go for what you can reasonably afford. It's not important to have it super maxed out.

As far as resists go, there is the main four: water, wind, physical, and dark. These are the only resists that matter. On my char these four are level 80 with near maxed fusion gems while my light fire and earth are at 40 with almost no fusion gems. You have to focus on whats popular, not all resists are equally useful. I would even say water is not that important lately, so just primarily try to get your wind/phys and dark up. WORK ON FUSION GEMS. They are good for the cost and easy to farm... try to use fusion gems. They will go a long way.

Mastery/resists help but they aren't game breaking. Don't spend all your money in this area.

-Skills
    Max all your skills. Obvious, but do it anyways. It will improve things a lot.

-Stat titles
    Don't really matter, but if you can afford them, sure. Don't work too hard for the ones from orbs. If you cs, get the acc title(ihawk). It is important and will help. Mostly you should ignore stat titles besides ihawk. These are luxuries and can be skipped.

-gloops
    Used to be important, don't really matter so much now. If you have problems with reflect, quick is a good one and also the dark resist and wind resist glooping options are good also to avoid getting spiked by sins and warriors. The crit def gloop is a good option since patch and if you have weak crit def you should aim for this. If you haven't worked on gloops AT ALL, I would say at least work on the crit def gloop and maybe use your 2nd one for dark/wind resist or iron skin. It gets harder, but its a good improvement in the beginning. It is mostly a luxury now but you will see good improvements from gloops still.

-runes
    Aim for good/rare class skills, they are worth the money and will improve things for you. Spend money on runes when you have the chance... save up and wait for good runes to be made, and then buy them. This is an important area, prioritize high energy/rare skill runes over other things. Buy good runes over resists and gems. You should have a primary rune color, and a seconday rune color. Your secondary rune color should offer you some benefit for leveling up... for example, for mages 30 yellow energy is good as a secondary rune color. Your primary rune color you should aim for the most op, obtainable goal. For mages, this is 40 rune energy. If you are rich go for 80 rune energy, but only if youre super rich and can afford it. To get to 80 energy you will need 9-10 energy runes, advanced runes, and the last rune slot opened. Don't bother with this if you think you won't get there. Mid tier characters definetly want around 40-50 energy. Use all your off color runes for good class skills and if you think you wont reach high rune energy ALWAYS prioritize good rune talents over energy.

Your rune build should always have great skills on every rune and your energy should make sense. Every rune should give you a talent point that you care about. Super high energy is expensive but op if you can do it.

-Transmuting
    Since patch, transmuting has become easier so it's worthwhile if you can afford it. Try to transmute ele attack on all your gear when possible because it will give you a decent amount of attack for a good price. You can get better transmutes by using 85 gear with stronger id's but this is expensive and not worth it for the casual/normal player. Transmuting is a luxury; you don't need to do it, but it is worth the cost if you can afford it. If you don't have money skip it.

-fluxing
    fluxing(giving your gear an extra id) is not worth it on purple gear for the casual player. If you can afford it, it will help, but only as one of the final things you do with your char. you should flux blue gear if possible because it isn't that expensive and you can farm it with wargod points. This is a luxury and can be skipped if youre on a budget.

-animas
    don't spend money in this area if you can help it. Level them off blues/random anima charms and use your 10 free trains a day. Aim for the lower tier stats but only go for the super high ones if youre looking to finalize your char. Again, avoid spending money on this area, but actively farm to improve it using in game things.

-anima skills
    When anima shards are cheap, you should wait to work on this until you have both anima skills unlocked. Try to aim for both shields or a shield + arcane acceleration. You don't need extremely high level skills. Getting level 2 shields are good and going past that is a luxury.

-attack
    I made a section for this because its worth noting that if you want to do more damage, look to get more attack in every single area you can find. In pvp attack is huge. This is what will make you op, along with high crit def/crit damage. You need to stack your attack as high as possible.

TLDR/Summary: Max your sp, get all your pet buffs you can get. Get good crystallines. Get decent rune energy, with good talents on all of your runes. Maximize your crit def/crit damage. Get purple gear and reforge it, get 12/12 refines. Maximize your base stats. Get good accessories with crit defense on them. Everything else is mostly a luxury.
    Good work i assume most is common sense. But imo pvp seems dead i went a few times and seen no one.On the weekend i went to ff and it's a joke thats with good stats.You play mostly vs ppl with crazy gear scores.If then matched up ppl going with the gear scores.Anyways not going to pvp much but id like to see Domino go and get a flag and bring it back level 80 and up then see what he thinks can be done.
  • DoomRaven - Storm Legion
    DoomRaven - Storm Legion Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Gloop does really matter, specially 'cause you can get 5 attributes now if you actually even have the patience to reach level 8 on trinket... that would get you physical, water, wind, dark, and whatever else you'd want, either iron skin or crit def.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tinyurl.com/AegisPvPVideos
  • AeonRuin - Lionheart
    AeonRuin - Lionheart Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Having high resists makes you OP in pvp because the better your character is at taking hits and surviving, the better chance you have at getting Redhand which is where all the DPS comes into play.

Earth is going to be a resist you will want to get up because of the new Tormentor class but you should always prioritise your resists based on your classes weaknesses. Example, a protector are strong against melee classes but very weak against ranged classes. They would want to prioritise resists against their ranged classes so Water would be the very first thing they would get up first.
  • XTidusxX - Storm Legion
    XTidusxX - Storm Legion Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And this is where it gets wrecked with 1k+ eva.
  • CountVonCo - Illyfue
    CountVonCo - Illyfue Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    johnpaul86 wrote: »
    My suggestion to new players is learn about the game, ask veteran players/general community questions, gather an understanding of the basic concepts of building a toon, then go forth. Failing to plan is planning to fail! I have digressed a little from the OP's purpose of the thread, but I still feel this is a highly valuable point for both PvP and PvE to consider.

This is probably the most common sense advice given out. I've seen so many new players come into game and throw tons of cash at the game and still be not even mediocre geared enough for pvp.

IMO (who doesnt PvP mainly) - the easiest and cheapest way you can bridge the gap in PvP is Gloops and Soul Power tree, while meanwhile working on arena points / rep and PvP gems: Crystaline/Twilights/Bloodstones/Ragefire.
    Emphasise getting weapon, boots, shoulders to +12 fort over others. +9 on others is usually enough until you get to the high end tier of PvP. For healers and some DD classes like Water Bards / Mages will be different, but it depends a lot on builds.

Resistance Gems and HR points will help, but since it HR points got nerfed (I personally got Lv80 mastery from HR), fastest route is pure gold spend to up those, specially now it doesn't cost vigor to up ress/mast.

BIGGEST advice is - LEARN to PLAY your CLASS. Make a build that suits your style of play and utilizes your personal play style. Don't just copy past someone else's build and hope to be just like them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

<Forever with Vepigi> | Lv90 PvE Dark Vamp

youtube.com/user/TheAdonisTUBE
  • kibblesandbits
    kibblesandbits Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My thoughts on Resistances, and general recommendations for the casual/newer/non-casher or farmer. IE possibly someone who would actually take an interest in this thread that didn't know most of the information already presented in the opening post. (Here-after known as the average joe toon)

When choosing which resistances consider the following question:
    - Why are you working on resists?

Are you trying to win in arena? Survive in rift or 12v12? or both?

Immortal Rift
    If you're mainly working on resistances only to be more effective in immortal rift (A number of my guild members do just this) you only really have to worry about your own server population as far as elements are concerned. IE on storm server we have a ton of fire mages and wind bards compared to ice/water as we are a pve server. Glacial priests being a bit more common, but still most of the time you're gonna be facing a divine over here. Consider your sever population, who actually rifts on your server, and generally who do you see most often?

If you are a healer remember you will be a high priority target for just about everybody, so neglect any single resistance at your peril.

Arena
    Of course this all goes out the window if you're looking to dominate in arena, but winning there is more about experience/player skill and teamwork than stats, as very high quality gear and stats are a given in the higher arena tiers. The only resistance I could even think of as a "dump stat" would probably be light resistance, but even then I'll still see the odd prot with 1300 light mastery. I haven't done much arena in a while myself but the information should be pretty sound as it's not very in depth and is mostly common sense for anyone with experience playing the game.

12v12
    12v12 Is a ****-shoot most of the time. The teams are often balanced awkwardly in my experience. In both of the 12v12 instances teamwork and map awareness are major players. If anything I would focus more on elements that have aoe builds associated with them, as it may help keep you alive when that mage gets RH and purgatorys in the middle of your team etc. Fire wind and water resists help here, as it covers mages bards(mostly) the aoes from reapers, and Burst MMs. Dark could make a decent fourth if you consider vampires and some assassins. But see the next paragraph for more info.

A note on Physical and dark elements
    Physical and dark resistances are the elephant in the room in the previous section.
    Unless you have a high crit defense/dodge build on top of resists, you will die to sins. You will die to Blood warriors, you will die to dark vampires. Again this is written with the average joe character in mind. The damage figures these builds can put out is astronomical. My resistances aren't super high mind you, but over 600 physical is far from the worst I've seen. My crit defense is also quite atrocious at the moment (mostly because i'm transitioning from evasion and am far too poor for crystalline 4's and 5's XD) so I know first hand that your resistances alone won't do it against these builds. I've been dropped by 200k+ crits at my resistance levels fairly often. Long story short you won't survive these guys without high resistances AND high critical defense. So from a resistance only standpoint it may be a better idea just take the spike damage classes to the face until you can work more on your crit defense.

^^This section is almost entirely moot if you are a healer, as you will (should) be constantly targeted by these spike damage classes. Player skill has a monumental importance here as you will be a high priority target in any battle. Knowing when to activate wrath/throw your bubble etc can save you if you keep a cool head, but that's not the point of this post. As I said before, neglect a single resistance at your own peril.

For the average joe bob randy and mike (not john though, he's a jerk who steals sandwiches and cooks fish in the microwave at work, sometimes on the same day.):
    If you are trying to stay alive, cap flags, and not feel like ragequitting after getting 1-shot for the thousandth time, I'd try to survive the nukes more than the spikes, as a good spike dpser will demolish you anyway in the battlefield instances with the high availability of wrath. If you wanna be that guy with 50+ kills 0 deaths and a zillion assists, see the arena section. And when you are that guy, I hope you're on my team :P.

Final thought: In the end remember it's just a game, it's supposed to be fun :D.
    Feel free to tear me apart for anything you can prove wrong, as accurate information is more important to the reader than my pride :P. This is of course all speculation on my part from my experience as a semi-casual non cash shopping player for the last couple years.

TLDR: Know where you want to excel. Know your server meta. Against spike dps classes: your resistances are only as good as the crit defense backing it up. And as a healer: Ignore a single element at your own peril. Oh, and john is a jerk.

A final note: I didn't cover general world pvp on pvp servers because I have no experience with it and am not prepared to give any advice with which I'm relatively confident.
    Regina_Doloris MM
    Courante_Fugue Bard

Vice lead of Elysia on Storm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DivineSpirits - Storm Legion
    DivineSpirits - Storm Legion Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I might be a little bit off topic, but I'm going to make a comment regarding the desire for every player to develop a perfectly built/geared character. Every stat you can gain is a potential help, obviously some are more impactful than others. However, the point I'd like to illustrate is NOT so much towards OP building etc, but towards playing your class (team) well.

At this point I'd like to give a tip of my hat to Vorbis and ConterK, which are the two best examples I can think of for the point I want to make. These players were in (relatively) unextraordinary gears (acc/cdef blue gears mostly). Containing mostly accuracy (easy to get) ID's and VERY low resistances (200-350 ish) for a long time. I think of these players above others, because not only were they playing high level players (2400+ score) but they were WINNING at those scores (and higher).

They knew how to counteract various situations, go with a good team (not just maxed gear toons), and they succeeded. I know for a fact that many players started training light resists on Storm JUST because of that one player *nods*. I'm not saying they were badly built, but by comparison to the people they were beating, the gear difference was more than small.

Point: Learn to play your character. Focus every stat along the way cuz it all adds up, but don't think those extra stats will MAKE you win.
    [SIGPIC]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Tysterkaar/SirFanion.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    DivineSpirits (Fire/Ice Mage) || DivineAuror (Divine Priest) || SirFanion (Elemental Warrior)
  • Rothj - Eyrda
    edited March 2015
    I might be a little bit off topic, but I'm going to make a comment regarding the desire for every player to develop a perfectly built/geared character. Every stat you can gain is a potential help, obviously some are more impactful than others. However, the point I'd like to illustrate is NOT so much towards OP building etc, but towards playing your class (team) well.

At this point I'd like to give a tip of my hat to Vorbis and ConterK, which are the two best examples I can think of for the point I want to make. These players were in (relatively) unextraordinary gears (acc/cdef blue gears mostly). Containing mostly accuracy (easy to get) ID's and VERY low resistances (200-350 ish) for a long time. I think of these players above others, because not only were they playing high level players (2400+ score) but they were WINNING at those scores (and higher).

They knew how to counteract various situations, go with a good team (not just maxed gear toons), and they succeeded. I know for a fact that many players started training light resists on Storm JUST because of that one player *nods*. I'm not saying they were badly built, but by comparison to the people they were beating, the gear difference was more than small.

Point: Learn to play your character. Focus every stat along the way cuz it all adds up, but don't think those extra stats will MAKE you win.

The reason why I think this argument is **** is because usually in all cases of this someone is finding a work around to being undergeared or they have op team partners to make up for their lack of stats. Whenever someone with low wing level or mastery/resists does well everyone is impressed. But you really need to look at what someone is actually doing when they play. You can't just assume because someone on the surface is doing well despite having bad gear that they're a master at their class. You should be able to point out why they outplay others.
  • DivineSpirits - Storm Legion
    DivineSpirits - Storm Legion Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The reason why I think this argument is **** is because usually in all cases of this someone is finding a work around to being undergeared or they have op team partners to make up for their lack of stats. Whenever someone with low wing level or mastery/resists does well everyone is impressed. But you really need to look at what someone is actually doing when they play. You can't just assume because someone on the surface is doing well despite having bad gear that they're a master at their class. You should be able to point out why they outplay others.

I shouldnt have to explain how Vorbis outplayed others, it was quite obvious that he simply did.
    [SIGPIC]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Tysterkaar/SirFanion.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    DivineSpirits (Fire/Ice Mage) || DivineAuror (Divine Priest) || SirFanion (Elemental Warrior)
  • Rothj - Eyrda
    edited March 2015
    I shouldnt have to explain how Vorbis outplayed others, it was quite obvious that he simply did.

So if I took out all my gems and reset my mastery/resists below his and beat him in a duel would I be the best? because im quite confident I could. Again if I were to move gems to get below 100 chroma and reset my masteries/resists below level 50 and fight him in arena and win would I be the best then too? Again, I think I could. People are too quick to give credit to anyone who can work with weaker gear. I used to fight with no wings vs level 3 wings and win. Did I suddenly get worse? no it just never made that much of a difference in the first place.
  • sillyputy
    sillyputy Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So if I took out all my gems and reset my mastery/resists below his and beat him in a duel would I be the best? because im quite confident I could. Again if I were to move gems to get below 100 chroma and reset my masteries/resists below level 50 and fight him and win would I be the best then too? Again, I think I could. People are too quick to give credit to anyone who can work with weaker gear. I used to fight with no wings vs level 3 wings and win. Did I suddenly get worse? no it just never made that much of a difference in the first place.

Ofc you can beat him. Any frost mage can beat him in a duel in fact. Even I beat him when I had no wings, lvl50 mastery, and lvl0 resists. The reason behind this is b/c when and if he duels someone, he doesn't duel to win. I can go into details of why I and almost everyone regard him as the best frost mage but I cbf. His teamwork and strategy is just superior to every other mages'. Not to mention his arena rep is second to only nrage which means he has more arena experience than everyone besides that disgusting sin. I can't speak for everyone who has gone w/ Vorbis but I and many of my guildies trust him to deliver every time we team up w/ him despite the fact that hes undergeared, and he does. It's very easy to know if you're a great player. Do your teammates place that lvl of trust on you every single time and do you deliver every single time? Anyways, offtopic but ur guide is right for the most part.
This discussion has been closed.