test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heartbleed [5:20pm 7.22.14]

defenderofdreamsdefenderofdreams Posts: 78
edited July 2014 in Technical Support Zone
Hey everyone,

We've been notified of US users receiving an email about their account being at high-risk and to reset their password. The email you are getting is legitimate, however it was only supposed to be affecting Europe and not US players.

Hence, some of you may have had your password forcibly reset if you were what was deemed by the EU office, "high risk". Everyone here in the US office is now aware of this situation, and we will be providing an update as soon as we can for how to best support those who no longer remember the email tied to their account.

We deeply apologize for this inconvenience in your normal gaming routine.

Update [5:20pm]
The affected US players were very small in comparison to the total playerbase (<.1%). All accounts that accessed the handful of vulnerable EU web pages were flagged as high-risk, no matter the region of the player.

All EU website vulnerabilities have been patched and are 100% certified as safe, however, the forced password reset was one step to ensure for good that no one was compromised.

What if I don't remember my email address for my account?
You can email the following address and go through a verification process to regain access to your account:
[email protected]

Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused for you. Your security is of the highest importance to us and we hope all issues can be resolved in a speedy manner.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ashtan - LionheartAshtan - Lionheart Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You labeled it Heartbleed... As in the Heartbleed vulnerability?

The patch for that has been around since April....
  • Dendir - NyosDendir - Nyos Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hi DoD.
    Would you recommend all EU players change their passwords as a precaution or only the ones who have received emails?
    Thanks
    Dendir - Lvl 80 Bunny
    Zandin - Lvl 80 Hipster
    Aech - Lvl 80 Noob
  • defenderofdreamsdefenderofdreams Posts: 78
    edited July 2014
    Hi DoD.
    Would you recommend all EU players change their passwords as a precaution or only the ones who have received emails?
    Thanks

Technically, only the ones who have received an email are advised to reset, but I would go ahead and do so if I were an EU player.
  • usagidropsusagidrops Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    im german but play on US server.does that mean im not effected by it?kinda confused there...
  • Bhyl - LionheartBhyl - Lionheart Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You labeled it Heartbleed... As in the Heartbleed vulnerability?

The patch for that has been around since April....

Correct. Being that's its only EU maybe something was overlooked.

What is concerning about heart bleed is the massive lack of patching being done. http://www.cbronline.com/news/security/people-no-longer-bothering-to-patch-heartbleed-researcher-says-4299497
  • Aetolus - EyrdaAetolus - Eyrda Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014

All EU website vulnerabilities have been patched and are 100% certified as safe, however, the forced password reset was one step to ensure for good that no one was compromised. [/COLOR]

Oh 100% safe? I don't think you understand how this works.

I'm sure you thought it was 100% safe before the news about it broke as well.
  • amarantosamarantos Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can email the following address and go through a verification process to regain access to your account:
    [email protected]

ok so my main account i was able to reset pw because i have an active email tied to it, but my alt account has an email that is no longer available, so should i send an email to the address above from my main account to go through the process of regaining my alt account? bit confused how thats supposed to work, since i feel like support wont let me get anywhere unless i use the email tied to my alt account that no longer exists.... :confused:
  • clownsneverdieclownsneverdie Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    [
    [email protected]

How long will it take to regain the accounts via email?????
    photo d2b55694-5985-4cd3-b7c3-1fa1a23fc278_zpsfqg6lnnr.jpg
  • VagueAngel - Storm LegionVagueAngel - Storm Legion Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oldmanyy wrote: »
    Is that how my acc got ban for no reason while I doing daily quest halfway ?
    they still didt solve my problem todate,did ask me to reset PW but acc is stll lock for another 52K minutes :

You have been asked multiple times to NOT speak of bans in the forums, yet you still chose to do so?
    Posting Private Correspondence
    You may not post messages that have been sent or received in private. This includes, but is not limited to:
    PMs received from other users and PWE Staff.
    Correspondence from our Customer Service Department or moderators.
    Discussing disciplinary actions taken against any forum, or game account.

You want your problem solved with your ban, you need to contact support. Not post about it on the forums.
    amarantos wrote: »
    ok so my main account i was able to reset pw because i have an active email tied to it, but my alt account has an email that is no longer available, so should i send an email to the address above from my main account to go through the process of regaining my alt account? bit confused how thats supposed to work, since i feel like support wont let me get anywhere unless i use the email tied to my alt account that no longer exists.... :confused:

Send an email to support from your main account's email. Give them what the email address was and that it no longer exists and see if they can do anything to help you out.
    80~ErebusNox - Dark/Edge Assassin
    74~AzrielZiya - Aegis Warrior

sephiroth_forum_signature_by_xxtatteredsoulxx-d4jx3wc.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
    Can't access the support page? Send an email: [email protected]
  • nihooyanihooya Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Send an email to support from your main account's email. Give them what the email address was and that it no longer exists and see if they can do anything to help you out.

What if none existent emial i dont remember becus its not exist?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein

This really sums the ppl still playing and paying this game.

I wish You admcroxe to Die in Car fire.
  • Nyxa - Storm LegionNyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nihooya wrote: »
    What if none existent emial i dont remember becus its not exist?

there had to be an e-mail account for you when you signed up
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
    edited July 2014
    there had to be an e-mail account for you when you signed up

Yes but what when firm that done no longer exists? i know it not happen ofthen but it was sometime ago, and it was Polish firm and they had good rules for accounts.

Imho that was a horrible way to done forcing of pass changes befor ppl informing way to **** all, again PWE does everything from **** side.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein

• sedativexsedativex Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Then you just contact the customer service via email like they told abowe,and they will make ur account back to u:
    [email protected]
    HOc2ScJw.png
    SEDATIVE_Mage | Soul_Savior | Hunicum | Illyfue
    edited July 2014
    sedativex wrote: »
    Then you just contact the customer service via email like they told abowe,and they will make ur account back to u:
    [email protected]

But they may want the old email that was used and i cant proovide that so im ****ed
    ― Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    But they may want the old email that was used and i cant proovide that so im ****ed

Customer Service will use other methods to verify your claim to the account in question. Things such as your IP address, character names, join dates, games played, etc based off our knowledge of your account.

• sedativexsedativex Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Customer Service will use other methods to verify your claim to the account in question. Things such as your IP address, character names, join dates, games played, etc based off our knowledge of your account.

OMG who the hell remembers the join dates? :o I only know the date of my main account,and here i dont know the exact join date :D
    People here plays with multiple toons,multiple accounts,and even multiple games.They will not remember the join dates in basic.
    The name of the old mail adress,the Ip adress,and login dates,character names,what he did last day,or last when he sigmed in,etc ,that is okay,coz that i use to like a staff member in an other game.
    HOc2ScJw.png
    SEDATIVE_Mage | Soul_Savior | Hunicum | Illyfue
    edited July 2014
    OMG I have problems remember what I ate on breakfast, and You want me to remember join dates. Once again You done it from wrong side, as they say in my country(Poland) from **** way its an idiomatic and don't know english term for that but I think u get the idea. Im not attack any one but say my point of view.
    ― Albert Einstein

• starrclasmstarrclasm Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    amarantos wrote: »

any answer to that?
    edited July 2014
    edited July 2014
    One more thing i can chargeback if i wont retrive that account? Becuse that was just plain wrong u should infrm us say 1 week before as we could have change our forsaken emails, and reset by self if thoes that didnt do that then u could change them by force but this way things done is bad, real bad.
    ― Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    One more thing i can chargeback if i wont retrive that account? Becuse that was just plain wrong u should infrm us say 1 week before as we could have change our forsaken emails, and reset by self if thoes that didnt do that then u could change them by force but this way things done is bad, real bad.

If you try to do a chargeback your account will be banned for sure.

I don't think they could have known that this was going to happen 1 week before it did. SO I don't know how you can expect them to inform you about something that came out of the blue.

But your call if you want to try doing a chargeback and not try to get your account back.
    edited July 2014
    If you try to do a chargeback your account will be banned for sure.

I don't think they could have known that this was going to happen 1 week before it did. SO I don't know how you can expect them to inform you about something that came out of the blue.

But your call if you want to try doing a chargeback and not try to get your account back.

No no i will use it only if i wont have my account back as may be not to much info for therm or whatever u never know u cant be sure with PWE, watching recently months.

Ok i seen what they want i think im not gona get my account back well was nice 3 years of play down the drain with money thx PWE u do everything to make most of ur poor playerbase leave from all games i think it was in all games run by them done to forcyble reset all acounts.

Again THX ur gr8 at making ur customers leave, eh if i would be in USA it would be easy lawsuit but im 2 far. Thx for ruin all i still had hope but its hopeless now.

[email protected]

Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused for you. Your security is of the highest importance to us and we hope all issues can be resolved in a speedy manner.

! more thing funny how i can email u an email i forgotten? BTW it was 3 years all was fine and now i can say my account was stollen by admins. Im fighting with support for 3 days now witch isnt supportive a bit can say with this manner.
    ― Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    No no i will use it only if i wont have my account back as may be not to much info for therm or whatever u never know u cant be sure with PWE, watching recently months.

Ok i seen what they want i think im not gona get my account back well was nice 3 years of play down the drain with money thx PWE u do everything to make most of ur poor playerbase leave from all games i think it was in all games run by them done to forcyble reset all acounts.

Again THX ur gr8 at making ur customers leave, eh if i would be in USA it would be easy lawsuit but im 2 far. Thx for ruin all i still had hope but its hopeless now.

! more thing funny how i can email u an email i forgotten? BTW it was 3 years all was fine and now i can say my account was stollen by admins. Im fighting with support for 3 days now witch isnt supportive a bit can say with this manner.

Emailing [email protected] does not require the actual email tied to the account as that is the reason why you are contacting support. You can use any email, but please state your claim as clearly as possible in the subject & body of the email so customer service can properly respond. They will start an account verification process that includes details to your account along with security questions.

Please respond to these questions as they will not proceed any further with your account unless they are answered. Player account safety is of our highest concern.

I hope this helps you with your situation, Nihooya.
    edited July 2014
    tell himailing [email]cforgotten [email protected][/email] does not require the actual email tied to the account as that is the reason why you are contacting support. You can use any email, but please security s ossume your claim as clearly as possible in the subject & body of the email so customer service can properly respond. They will start an account verification process that includes details to your account along with security questions.

Please respond to these questions as they will not proceed any further with your account unless they are answered. Player account safety is of our highest concern.

I hope this helps you with your situation, Nihooya.

Yes but u say tell them ur forgoten mail, its forgotten so how i cna tell them then? i cant remember what i had for breakfast 3 days ago and they want many things from 3 years ago, when in any other good company screens documenting all 3 years would be sufficent plus the info i gave, right now my account is stolen by PWE not by some1 other, so yea super security.
    ― Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    Yes but u say tell them ur forgoten mail, its forgotten so how i cna tell them then? i cant remember what i had for breakfast 3 days ago and they want many things from 3 years ago, when in any other good company screens documenting all 3 years would be sufficent plus the info i gave, right now my account is stolen by PWE not by some1 other, so yea super security.

Tell them this:
    "dear support team, my character name is **** I am contacting you because I forgot my email for said account and I was notified that I need to change my password. Since I cannot remember the e-mail that was tied to the account, I need your help in getting access to the character account"

If you can't remember some simple answers to questions like "what is your mothers maiden name" you have bigger issue to worry about than getting your account back
  • DethStrike - Storm LegionDethStrike - Storm Legion Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you can't remember some simple answers to questions like "what is your mothers maiden name" you have bigger issue to worry about than getting your account back

I LOL'ed
    edited July 2014
    Tell them this:
    "dear support team, my character name is **** I am contacting you because I forgot my email for said account and I was notified that I need to change my password. Since I cannot remember the e-mail that was tied to the account, I need your help in getting access to the character account"

yea becuse it was an alt account, witch became a 2nd main so it was giberish there
    ― Albert Einstein

• DethStrike - Storm LegionDethStrike - Storm Legion Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yea becuse it was an alt account, witch became a 2nd main so it was giberish there

That's your fault then buddy.
    edited July 2014
    That's your fault then buddy.

Yea it is but giving 7 out of 10 points would be sufficent but PWE dont want 2 keep their dedicated players
    ― Albert Einstein