Not banning for account sharing anymore?

owliesftw
owliesftw Posts: 8 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
It feels like that's what they're saying.
What does anyone else think? worry-cheetah-emoticon.gif?1302786125


119bk37.jpg
Post edited by owliesftw on
«1

Comments

  • Nanali - Storm Legion
    Nanali - Storm Legion Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It pretty much means the same thing they've been doing till now. If you account share and someone reports you, you'll get banned. End of story XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Drachus - Eyrda
    Drachus - Eyrda Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It pretty much means the same thing they've been doing till now. If you account share and someone reports you, you'll get banned. End of story XD

    ^This.

    It's been obvious for a long time that ya, they don't hunt down account sharers... but if someone reports you, you'll get banned for it. Oh, and if you lose items through account sharing mishaps, they won't help you.

    That's all Croxe was saying. It's really nothing new.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • louisaferree
    louisaferree Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    owliesftw wrote: »
    It feels like that's what they're saying.
    What does anyone else think? worry-cheetah-emoticon.gif?1302786125


    119bk37.jpg

    How does account sharing hinder your gameplay anyway. What I see is someone hurt that someone they hate account shares, and they can't use that to get that person banned. I can't see a reason why someone would be hurt due to others account sharing. I mean the game economy can be damaged with account SELLING but not account sharing.
  • owliesftw
    owliesftw Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It pretty much means the same thing they've been doing till now. If you account share and someone reports you, you'll get banned. End of story XD

    Just the way that croxe said it. It seriously looks as thought he's saying to just go ahead and account share. xDDD
  • VagueAngel - Storm Legion
    VagueAngel - Storm Legion Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How does account sharing hinder your gameplay anyway. What I see is someone hurt that someone they hate account shares, and they can't use that to get that person banned. I can't see a reason why someone would be hurt due to others account sharing. I mean the game economy can be damaged with account SELLING but not account sharing.

    Because it's in a sense "sharing your identity" as well as giving people who are banned the opportunity to still play through someone else's account. It also opens up gaining personal information due to the person thinking it's the account owner (which has happened before).
    80~ErebusNox - Dark/Edge Assassin
    74~AzrielZiya - Aegis Warrior

    sephiroth_forum_signature_by_xxtatteredsoulxx-d4jx3wc.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
    Can't access the support page? Send an email: [email protected]
  • VelvetStrike - Illyfue
    VelvetStrike - Illyfue Posts: 1,126 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    owliesftw wrote: »
    Just the way that croxe said it. It seriously looks as thought he's saying to just go ahead and account share. xDDD

    As in: there is no stopping you, we wont look for you.. but if u get reported/stolen from then ur screwed. (just like people said above)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Riottz - Lionheart
    Riottz - Lionheart Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ^This.

    It's been obvious for a long time that ya, they don't hunt down account sharers... but if someone reports you, you'll get banned for it. Oh, and if you lose items through account sharing mishaps, they won't help you.

    That's all Croxe was saying. It's really nothing new.
    meh account sharing is lamesauce, it the x2462579429562954629547203-472-09372-057297520-735-02734-02735-2759-826735-0273-58 Clienting those shared accounts to hoard zods that annoys me. last 2 years b4 you could for a raid it was 1 person x6 clienting zods and winning & selling ebs ijs. it denys content, exploiting knowen bugs etc, i rly wish pwe would deal with it more srsly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • owliesftw
    owliesftw Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because it's in a sense "sharing your identity" as well as giving people who are banned the opportunity to still play through someone else's account. It also opens up gaining personal information due to the person thinking it's the account owner (which has happened before).

    That is actually a very good point thank you.
  • Sassana - Illyfue
    Sassana - Illyfue Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because it's in a sense "sharing your identity" as well as giving people who are banned the opportunity to still play through someone else's account. It also opens up gaining personal information due to the person thinking it's the account owner (which has happened before).

    And what about ARC sniffing where it should not?
    So the moral is..... Exploit everything and don't tell the gms or they will take it away.

    Gotcha...

    Don't ask, don't tell.

    By FireBat

    True story
  • Drachus - Eyrda
    Drachus - Eyrda Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meh account sharing is lamesauce, it the x2462579429562954629547203-472-09372-057297520-735-02734-02735-2759-826735-0273-58 Clienting those shared accounts to hoard zods that annoys me. last 2 years b4 you could for a raid it was 1 person x6 clienting zods and winning & selling ebs ijs. it denys content, exploiting knowen bugs etc, i rly wish pwe would deal with it more srsly

    Eh, not to be this person, but this really only affects pve servers... I guess that is another flaw with those. On pvp servers, we can just kill the people trying to multiclient **** outside sz.... and multiclient shared accounts at zods for dps? haha... that'd never work with all mass killing. So that's probably why account sharing isn't seen as much of an issue to some people.


    (and sorry for the change in post color... the white is starting to feel like it's burning my eyes. ==)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Iolar - Lionheart
    Iolar - Lionheart Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's just a wishy washy response. I get it's a pve server problem really since someone standing still will do nothing but die on pvp but on pve you can multiclient surplus accounts on the same spot and bot them so, effectively, 1 person has the dps of 3 or more.If there's been bans in the past or such, it really shouldn't be a problem to say a direct answer that "it's not allowed", pve or pvp.
    Lvl 90 WTF-Tree Sin
    Vice-Lead of AvatarT;Great
    Why? Because reasons.
  • VagueAngel - Storm Legion
    VagueAngel - Storm Legion Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you have evidence anyone is multiclienting with more than 2 accounts then get a screenshot or a video and send in a ticket.
    80~ErebusNox - Dark/Edge Assassin
    74~AzrielZiya - Aegis Warrior

    sephiroth_forum_signature_by_xxtatteredsoulxx-d4jx3wc.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
    Can't access the support page? Send an email: [email protected]
  • amarantos
    amarantos Posts: 3,067 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you have evidence anyone is multiclienting with more than 2 accounts then get a screenshot or a video and send in a ticket.

    though its kind of a known fact support will just reply 'we will investigate it' and thats the end, for either account sharing or multiclienting. :rolleyes:
  • mrsanderson50
    mrsanderson50 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    amarantos wrote: »
    though its kind of a known fact support will just reply 'we will investigate it' and thats the end, for either account sharing or multiclienting. :rolleyes:

    THIS is true. I reported a bug in ticket for customer support and they said that too. The 'we will investigate it' or something along those lines. Though the bug was not fixed yet, people stopped abusing it due to someone making a thread on forums.

    So it seems like making a thread on forums > customer support. T;Cool
  • Sassana - Illyfue
    Sassana - Illyfue Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ossum my IP chcnges on 8h dailly basis so i will be banned each 8h according to that all. IMHO If u trust some1 i dont see a problem u share ur own account its will be ur and only ur own fault if something will be gone, and ossum making a fuss from ur own alts acounts with 1 post count.
    So the moral is..... Exploit everything and don't tell the gms or they will take it away.

    Gotcha...

    Don't ask, don't tell.

    By FireBat

    True story
  • nihooja
    nihooja Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    and ossum making a fuss from ur own alts acounts with 1 post count.

    Yea stop making fuss
  • narta321
    narta321 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ossum making a fuss from ur own alts acounts with 1 post count.
    nihooja wrote: »
    Yea stop making fuss

    yea stop that
  • NinNiszczy - Illyfue
    NinNiszczy - Illyfue Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ossum making a fuss from ur own alts acounts with 1 post count.
    nihooja wrote: »
    Yea stop making fuss
    narta321 wrote: »
    yea stop that

    Yea thats not very nice
  • eberg33k
    eberg33k Posts: 772 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If they were ever truly serious about banning every shared account, just because they were shared, they'd have screwed over just about every guild on every server. Nearly all of them have a shared guild bank account.

    I don't think "we're not banning for account sharing anymore" was the point of what crowe was saying. In fact the old rule seemed so much like a general rule, I wonder if anyone's actually been banned just because the account was shared (ie: they broke no other rules). I took what he said as focusing the old blanket rule down to: if your account gets banned, for whatever reason, "it wasn't me" won't help you.

    OR

    They realized "hunting down account sharers" was more of a pain then its worth.
  • louisaferree
    louisaferree Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because it's in a sense "sharing your identity" as well as giving people who are banned the opportunity to still play through someone else's account. It also opens up gaining personal information due to the person thinking it's the account owner (which has happened before).

    See, but I am asking why does it hinder YOUR gaming. Your argument comes from PWE side but the OP is making it like he lost something because he couldn't get someone banned for account sharing.

    "giving people who are banned the opportunity to still play thr ough someone else's account"

    how does that affect someone other than PWE?

    And for the information part it's the I don't think it's related to sharing. Lets say X shares with Y
    if you told X some info but Y was on if X trusts Y enough to account share with him I am sure if you told the same information to X and it concerned Y he woulda told Y.

    Point is you trust one of them but they account share so they trust each other, so if you don't trust one of them just don't tell X or Y information lol. usually in account sharing events people would say that they aren't the real owners when their friends start messaging them.
  • conterkiller
    conterkiller Posts: 2,479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just so everyone knows..

    they DO ban for sharing accounts.. PERMANENTLY..

    i've lost accounts i was given before..

    and not because someone reported me.. but because that person and i logged at the same time on different games from PWE..

    Turns out the person was trying to play some other game from PWE and i was logged with the same account on FW.. the next day i tried to log the account was permanently banned..
    and the owner mailed to support asking for unban and they said they wouldn't..


    so yeah.. if u'r gnna share account.. make sure both IPs dont log at the same time


    This was like 1 year+ ago tho.. idk if they changed this or what not..

  • katjared
    katjared Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Account sharing is one of the most frequent things that happens in any game.
    The "trust" issue is irrelevant since most couples share that info. If you can trust your husband/wife/child whit your real "personal" info i won't see anyone hiding info regarding a game account. It would be insane on PWE's part to even try hunting down people that share accounts. 90% of the player base in any game does that. What PWE should do is allow players to make "account sharing" public. Meaning if 2 players share an account they to could send a ticket to inform PWE on that and take responsibility for any harm that could happen due to sharing. This way both the players and PWE would be covered. I work in banking and we offer our clients that option and it works very well for both us and our clients.

    In past i have seen players comment on this and state that they are not giving any personal info even to their life partners. I am sorry but in the world i live, trust is what matters most and if i can't trust the person that's closest to me then there is something wrong whit me and my choices.

    Sorry for the wall of text :D
  • DivineSpirits - Storm Legion
    DivineSpirits - Storm Legion Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    katjared wrote: »
    Account sharing is one of the most frequent things that happens in any game.
    The "trust" issue is irrelevant since most couples share that info. If you can trust your husband/wife/child whit your real "personal" info i won't see anyone hiding info regarding a game account. It would be insane on PWE's part to even try hunting down people that share accounts. 90% of the player base in any game does that. What PWE should do is allow players to make "account sharing" public. Meaning if 2 players share an account they to could send a ticket to inform PWE on that and take responsibility for any harm that could happen due to sharing. This way both the players and PWE would be covered. I work in banking and we offer our clients that option and it works very well for both us and our clients.

    In past i have seen players comment on this and state that they are not giving any personal info even to their life partners. I am sorry but in the world i live, trust is what matters most and if i can't trust the person that's closest to me then there is something wrong whit me and my choices.

    Sorry for the wall of text :D

    I think this is a great idea.
    [SIGPIC]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Tysterkaar/SirFanion.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    DivineSpirits (Fire/Ice Mage) || DivineAuror (Divine Priest) || SirFanion (Elemental Warrior)
  • osiron23
    osiron23 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just so everyone knows..

    they DO ban for sharing accounts.. PERMANENTLY..

    i've lost accounts i was given before..

    and not because someone reported me.. but because that person and i logged at the same time on different games from PWE..

    Turns out the person was trying to play some other game from PWE and i was logged with the same account on FW.. the next day i tried to log the account was permanently banned..
    and the owner mailed to support asking for unban and they said they wouldn't..


    so yeah.. if u'r gnna share account.. make sure both IPs dont log at the same time


    This was like 1 year+ ago tho.. idk if they changed this or what not..

    Terrible. It's all your fault. I don't know why anyone would ever share their account with you.
  • Iolar - Lionheart
    Iolar - Lionheart Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    See, but I am asking why does it hinder YOUR gaming. Your argument comes from PWE side but the OP is making it like he lost something because he couldn't get someone banned for account sharing.

    "giving people who are banned the opportunity to still play thr ough someone else's account"

    how does that affect someone other than PWE?

    And for the information part it's the I don't think it's related to sharing. Lets say X shares with Y
    if you told X some info but Y was on if X trusts Y enough to account share with him I am sure if you told the same information to X and it concerned Y he woulda told Y.

    Point is you trust one of them but they account share so they trust each other, so if you don't trust one of them just don't tell X or Y information lol. usually in account sharing events people would say that they aren't the real owners when their friends start messaging them.

    I believe because if someone is banned and returns, the cause for their banning originally is still an issue. Say they were banned for harassment, then voila the harasser is back in the virtual world under a new name that there is confusion as to who the current player is. Or say because of an exploit that is bannable - voila that person has returned with a new character to do just that. It's essentially putting a known problem into the system with a face lift and plausable deniability.

    Sharing I get happens with significant others, both near and far, but it's more when the accounts are used as a stock method for affecting the game for others. Essentially - if you loan out the account, you're saying that you accept the way that person will treat that account and your reputation. I get a reason for, say, "log me in for check-ins, I'll be away for 3 weeks and really badly want to keep my gold up" or something even more urgent, as a reason but you must admit it does open up a lot of potential issues.

    tl;dr - sharing can be good and bad. The bad, however, often outweighs and affects players as much as pwe which is why the confusion at the non-conclusive opinion on staff's end.
    Lvl 90 WTF-Tree Sin
    Vice-Lead of AvatarT;Great
    Why? Because reasons.
  • Drachus - Eyrda
    Drachus - Eyrda Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since PWE seems to rarely do IP bans, you know the situations you just mentioned could also be applied if we took out "shared account" and put "new account."

    MOST of the time, people who have problems with account sharing have little other real explanation other than "This person I dislike is account sharing. It isn't fair." when you strip away the attempts at justification.

    If someone who is account sharing is causing a legitimate issue/concern, then report them. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why PWE should spend more of our limited resources/staff on hunting down people who are account sharing... when the majority of them are doing little more than helping each other out with dailies/weeklies/etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ashtan - Lionheart
    Ashtan - Lionheart Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since PWE seems to rarely do IP bans, you know the situations you just mentioned could also be applied if we took out "shared account" and put "new account."

    MOST of the time, people who have problems with account sharing have little other real explanation other than "This person I dislike is account sharing. It isn't fair." when you strip away the attempts at justification.

    If someone who is account sharing is causing a legitimate issue/concern, then report them. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why PWE should spend more of our limited resources/staff on hunting down people who are account sharing... when the majority of them are doing little more than helping each other out with dailies/weeklies/etc.

    For PvE servers account sharing effects majorly as was said before. People rock up with 4-5 chars (1 person on all the accounts that are shared) and take bosses like EB and stuff, that people who play legitimately can't do nothing about. We can't kill them on a PvE server. Players that are strong share their accounts with others or give them away when they quit so their friends can use them and take what they want, rather then fighting fair for it.
  • miekun1
    miekun1 Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you have evidence anyone is multiclienting with more than 2 accounts then get a screenshot or a video and send in a ticket.

    I was told that a screen shot don't mean jack because you need the person to say in a chat that he/she is sharing or multiclienting. I even made a post about it and someone locked it :/
  • Drachus - Eyrda
    Drachus - Eyrda Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For PvE servers account sharing effects majorly as was said before. People rock up with 4-5 chars (1 person on all the accounts that are shared) and take bosses like EB and stuff, that people who play legitimately can't do nothing about. We can't kill them on a PvE server. Players that are strong share their accounts with others or give them away when they quit so their friends can use them and take what they want, rather then fighting fair for it.

    This is one of the legitimate concerns I was talking about though :P I said MOST of the time people have an issue w/account sharing due to personal dislikes, but I said that there are times when it can be a concern.. just that it is rare. I did mention account sharing in regards to pve server zod being a concern earlier in the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conterkiller
    conterkiller Posts: 2,479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    osiron23 wrote: »
    Terrible. It's all your fault. I don't know why anyone would ever share their account with you.

    yeah.. im not sure what that person was thinking..

    well.. she was quitting the game..

    and in the end i lost like 500 merc stats that i was doing on the toons in said account..
    and PWE wont even give those back either..!!

This discussion has been closed.