Mage Kindred, do I suck?

sorenoak
sorenoak Posts: 7 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Mage Discussion
Hello everyone.
I'm a mage kindred and, to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. I chose to focus on the lightning tree for the sole purpose of AoEs; however I doubt everything I'm doing. I've seen some guides and all but am still skeptical about them. For instance, what's the use of the "wind mastery" skills?

Also here's my idea of what my own tree would look like in the future:
http://fw.perfectworld.com/talentcalc?cls=mage&r=kin&b=t2a14t2a23t2a32t2b14t2c14t2c24t2d24t2d32t2e22t2f12t2f34t2h13t2h22t2i14t2i32t2j23t2j33t2k22t2k31t2l21

But the problem with all that is mana. How would I be able to get the maximum mana in game to ensure that I will be able to use the skills fluently?

Thank you for answering all the questions.
Post edited by sorenoak on

Comments

• sorenoak
    edited July 2013
    I'm PvE and want enough mana to cast the powerful upgraded spells. Could you explain to me what wind mastery skills are all about?
  • sorenoak
    edited July 2013
    natsss wrote: »
    dont really understand what you want me to explain Oo

but upgrading the mana buff dont give a lot's of mana it sucks

if you are PvE you shoudnt get Sinister Force

it's a PvP mana drain ( useless in PvE )

wind mastery skills : you have 4 skill
    thunder clap : little aoe with high crit chance and nice damage
    streak of lightning : aoe straight line deals good damage
    purgatory : 6 HIT aoe skill at 360 degree
    nature fury : double hit

Ok, I'll be more clear.

1- For example, Sinister Wind and Wind Mastery talk about increasing wind mastery by ****. What's that supposed to mean? I mean the whole wind mastery increased thing.

2- I've noticed that, as a mage, I quickly run out of mana after casting a few spells. I want to have a huge amount of mana so I can cast skills without having to worry about anything. I will always be PvE.
  • sorenoak
    edited July 2013
    hm T;Frozen

mastery is a stat ( like resistance )
    this stat upgrade your elemental damage

wind mastery affect wind damage skill
    water mastery affect water damage skill .......

you have to up your mastery with gold / resistance point ( that you win after completing a room in Hell Road ) for deals more damage

resistance is the opposite of the masteries ( like accuracy and evasion ) it'll allow you to take less damage against those elemental damage ...

as mage you have ~50K mana when your gear is refined 12/12 soul power tree up...

you dont need to put azure ( mana gem ) only 2 is needed on waist and pants

you just have to use mana pots lol ...... i dont see how you can run out of mana by using pots ... you can use auto pot with the bot system ...

50k mana at fortify 12/12? Wow, then I don't have to worry about anything for now. Except that I asked how to have a lot of mana because when I upgrade my Thunder Paralyze and Streak of Lightning to lvl 3 and lvl 4 at the Mage Tutor it consumes more mana.

So how's my skill tree now?
    http://fw.perfectworld.com/talentcalc?cls=mage&r=kin&b=t2a14t2a32t2b14t2b43t2c14t2c24t2d24t2d32t2d44t2e22t2e46t2f12t2g23t2g43t2j13t2j23t2j33t2k22t2k31t2l21
  • aestheticsbro
    aestheticsbro Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Regarding your mana problems, I agree that mages consume a lot of mana but they also have the highest mana pool. Just get yourself some wind skill reduction cost rings and always carry lots of potions highest level you can use (from remedy dealer npc or GB), they stack up to 1k.

If you plan on being 100% PVE and never EVER step into any kind of PVP you can use azure instead of PVP gems like crystalline but they shouldn't be a priority, go for offensive stats: critchance, critdmg, attack, mastery, and hp or youll be squishy, and save azure for when your gear is high fortify. Mana increases the damage of your spells and makes your sinister protection able to take more damage, so it is good for a mage but not the first thing you should focus into because you already get a lot from gear. There's a PVE windmage in my server with 70k+ mana :eek: and he's top mage in hellroad.

Now moving on to your build, I have played a 100% PVP frost mage from lv20 to lv80 so my playstyle is very different and I know little from other trees but theory. I'll give my opinion anyway:

- Wind resistance applies 99% of cases to pvp combat, except a few bosses, I would ditch this for PVE.

-The interrupt from windblast most likely applies only to PVP situations, I don't think this would be of any use agaisnt mobs.

-Eva reduction talent is for PVP too so you dont need amplified paralyze.

-Dispelling wind is also PVP to remove other players' buffs, like shields.

Take sustained energy and icebreak and boost your sinister protection talents, it will be good to have more tanky manashield specially for hellroad or high level instances if you get many mobs on you and healer is sleeping T;Frozen.

When making a full PVE build you ignore so many talents you have spare points you can use into things like more mana buff or wind drive speed, but those talents are cheap and common in runes so after taking PoL you could try spending your last points going into fire for force of protection so when tanking many mobs you'll get perma attack buff (not sure if this would work well, just came to my mind when writing this T;Shocked).
  • aestheticsbro
    edited July 2013
    http://fw.perfectworld.com/talentcalc?cls=mage&r=kin&b=t1a35t2a14t2a32t2b14t2b31t2b43t2c14t2c24t2c33t2d24t2d32t2d44t2e46t2f12t2f34t2g22t2i32t2j23t2k31t2l21

T;Great

i think that all can agree for this on full PVE

i've take off a point in meditation of wind because it's 15 mastery for a few sec every xmin for get in the fire tree force of protection which is op talent as wind mage

I thought same thing except 4 points in force of protection and max meditation of wind, but yes this is better.
  • sorenoak
    edited July 2013
    Natsss and Aestheticsbro, thank you VERY, VERY, VERY much. T;Applauding
    Both of you surpassed what I expected to get. The FW community is truly the best I have seen so far. What are your IGN that I may add you?
  • aestheticsbro
    edited July 2013
    Glad to help.

I play on Illyfue T;Away