FW is Crashing My PC...

Morgantia - Lionheart
Morgantia - Lionheart Posts: 83 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Technical Support Zone
So... I've been playing FW for over a year without any real DC issues. I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Studio XPS PC with a direct, high speed internet connection... nothing has changed on my PC and all other programs are working fine.

Then last night I set my toon up to bot goblins and... not only did I DC, but my entire PC crashed. First the game froze, then restarted... then the screen was covered in static/pixels/pieces of the game... then the whole screen went black and my PC crashed.

I was able to restart my PC and run all my other programs, but when I tried to log-in and play FW today... it ran for a couple minutes, then froze, then crashed my PC again.

So as of right now... I can't log-in to play... :(
Post edited by Morgantia - Lionheart on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beware... my alts are legion... muhwahaha!!!

Wait... does that make me a schizo? O.O

Comments

• Magicka - Storm Legion
    Magicka - Storm Legion Posts: 2,061 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like RIP graphics card/chip time.....

Try a GPU stress test :

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/furmark.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well
    as you deserve.' ~ Bilbo Baggins
  • leschi17
    leschi17 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    your graphic card's broken, I had the same problem
  • Morgantia - Lionheart
    Morgantia - Lionheart Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for your quick responses and... ****!!! :mad:

I downloaded/ran FurMark and it did the same thing the game did, which means my graphics card is broken??? Which is really frustrating because I just replaced/upgraded it about 7-8 months ago... :(

I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 4670...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beware... my alts are legion... muhwahaha!!!

Wait... does that make me a schizo? O.O
  • VagueAngel - Storm Legion
    VagueAngel - Storm Legion Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I downloaded/ran FurMark and it did the same thing the game did, which means my graphics card is broken??? Which is really frustrating because I just replaced/upgraded it about 7-8 months ago... :(

Yep, seems like it if FurMark is causing the same issue. If you just replaced it then it "might" still be under warranty depending on where you got it from.
    80~ErebusNox - Dark/Edge Assassin
    74~AzrielZiya - Aegis Warrior

sephiroth_forum_signature_by_xxtatteredsoulxx-d4jx3wc.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
    Can't access the support page? Send an email: [email protected]
  • ebolas
    ebolas Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Did you try this in the morning when the PC and the graphic card are cold ? Working in service centar i remember much problem like this caused by dust! make sure you sometimes open your pc box and clean it. Ofcoures it can be broken like other said earlier., from my experience 80% was caused by dust. Make sure you don't run hot, before you buy a new one ... Download Speccy check your temperatures... if they are red you know what is the problem...

100_2288.jpg
  • Astuarot - Storm Legion
    Astuarot - Storm Legion Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is what i'd do (not ruling out gpu yet, mind)

first, download prime95 and run small fft test for an hour. if it crashes, then the problem is almost certainly cpu. the problem is likely the cpu either not getting enough volts or that it is overheating. dusting out the comp could fix this, or it could mean the cpu voltage needs to be tweaked, which likely cant be done with your mobo. if this is the problem, you're probably screwed.

if it doesn't crash, run the prime95 blend test for an hour. if this causes the comp to crash, then you probably need to replace your ram. if this i
    s the case, be sure to replace with ram that is spec'd exactly like your current. perhaps call the manufacturer on this, since you wouldnkt be able to tweak mobo settings for timings of 3rd party ram.

lastly, if none of these cause the comp to crash, then you can know for certain that your furmark results are accurate and the gpu needs to b replaced. best option here would be to go to best buy and tell them you want to install a LOW PROFILE gpu, assuming you're currently using onboard is what is probably a small form factor computer case.

the reason you should try the above options first is that fw is a heavily cpu dependent game. the gpu really matters very little.

good luck