Windows 8 support

junglist101
junglist101 Posts: 82 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
ok so
Patch note 3/07/2013
Version 0.368.0
-Addressed issue with Window's 8 Patcher buttons becoming non-functional.

when are you going to support windows 8

with window 8 the issues are as follows:

you get building load error on 90% of all your map changes and going into instances

in arena members and sometimes the entire team of the other side are invisible

and graphics glitches

ANY ETA ON WHEN YOU FIX THIS ?
Post edited by junglist101 on

Comments

• vursed
    vursed Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ok so
    Patch note 3/07/2013
    Version 0.368.0

you get building load error on 90% of all your map changes and going into instances

and graphics glitches

only problem i have with usin windows 8 is the minor crash here n there. nothing else
  • VagueAngel - Storm Legion
    VagueAngel - Storm Legion Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ok so
    Patch note 3/07/2013
    Version 0.368.0

and graphics glitches

Uhm, that's not a Windows 8 issue. That is most likely a GPU issue. They need to add support for all graphics cards, and keep up to date.
    80~ErebusNox - Dark/Edge Assassin
    74~AzrielZiya - Aegis Warrior

sephiroth_forum_signature_by_xxtatteredsoulxx-d4jx3wc.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
    Can't access the support page? Send an email: [email protected]
  • tenfoldking
    tenfoldking Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ok so
    Patch note 3/07/2013
    Version 0.368.0

and graphics glitches

I concur with the other responses. Not a Win 8 problem. The invisible problem I've known to had happen to people with Win 7 or Vista as well. My only problems with this game with Win 8 was with getting "corrupt" messages that implore me to verify (thank god for the workaround trick) and this issue that was addressed. All other issues stems from me having a crappy computer.
  • junglist101
    edited March 2013
    it is a windows 8 issue because its the same laptop that works fine on windows 7 update all drivers to 8 and update to 8 poof issues
    edited March 2013
    it is a windows 8 issue because its the same laptop that works fine on windows 7 update all drivers to 8 and update to 8 poof issues

Then explain to me how the previous poster that uses windows 8 didn't have all of those issues? The building load error is not specific to windows 8. I get the error and I only have windows vista. Building load and players going invisible are graphic issues, maybe even memory, but it's not an OS system. There is something with their latest patches that doesn't work right with most of the graphics cards or something like that. So that's what they need to focus on fixing.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff. - 10th Doctor
  • vursed
    edited March 2013
    "in arena members and sometimes the entire team of the other side are invisible"

----ALT +K?...
  • junglist101
    edited March 2013
    Then explain to me how the previous poster that uses windows 8 didn't have all of those issues? The building load error is not specific to windows 8. I get the error and I only have windows vista. Building load and players going invisible are graphic issues, maybe even memory, but it's not an OS system. There is something with their latest patches that doesn't work right with most of the graphics cards or something like that. So that's what they need to focus on fixing.

lol so how it works fine with same card on windows 7 and all the same hardware only thing that changed was windows 7 > 8 ......
  • junglist101
    edited March 2013
    vursed wrote: »
    "in arena members and sometimes the entire team of the other side are invisible"

----ALT +K?...

no it was not of course i would check that before posting :rolleyes:
    edited March 2013
    lol so how it works fine with same card on windows 7 and all the same hardware only thing that changed was windows 7 > 8 ......

I'm saying the point you're trying to make is invalid because if it was a Windows 8 error, I would have never gotten the building load error on my laptop. And I crash ALL the time on my desktop with verify error, as well as building load error, so if it was a Windows 8 issue, it wouldn't be happening to me.

• parking
    parking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Are any of you even old enough to remember when Win 7 came out ??

What a Cluster Flubbing Snafu'd Fubar'd mess that was ,,,

NOTHING WORKED WITH 7 ,,, 7 WAS CR4P

Micro Softs Response ,,,,

NOT OUR PROBLEM, Its up to the individual Companies to make there Progs work on US !!

and thats exactly what Micro Soft said ,,,

Vid cards didnt work,, sound cards were glitches, It was funny as hell and sad at the same time ,,,

XP - FTW ! ! ! ! !

It was pretty much a Cluster when it came out too ROFLMFAO !!

So as far as that goes,, PWE does NOT Prog FW,, the DEVs in CHINA do,,
    all PWE can do is forward Info and patch with what come back
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • complexy
    complexy Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Both I and a friend of mine upon switching to windows 8 had the EXACT problems the op describes, on brand new computers.

So please stop jumping on him when you have NO idea what you're talking about.
  • parking
    edited March 2013
    complexy wrote: »
    Both I and a friend of mine upon switching to windows 8 had the EXACT problems the op describes, on brand new computers.

So please stop jumping on him when you have NO idea what you're talking about.

I take it that you have NOT been following the Cluster, FUBAR since Win 8 came out have you ,, Actually people were having Probs with 7 too

If you care to read my ABOVE POST, you would see that 90% of the problems stem directly from the 64 bit OS people are using, and having a * NEW * comp seems to Glitch even more

I USE XP ,, I RARELY CRASH AT ALL ! ! ! Mostly only after a Patch of some sort or another

If you also notice, some Realms tend to go Pooft now and then , , , ,

So the Prob with 64bit systems, faster Comps, a Bad Switch here and there a bad patch cable, a lil dust in the conection, some condensation in a cable someplace, etc,, etc,, etc

and you get ,, WTF !@#$%^&amp;* WHAT WRONG WITH YOUR GAME<< YOU IDIOTS COULDNT RUN A FRUIT STAND,, etc,, etc,,etc ,,,

combine that with the fact FW is built on, basically, an *old Engine* and Older+Slower works way better then Newer+Bigger+better+shinier

Test it yourself,, Find an OLD COMP GAME ,, stuff it into your NEW BIGGER BETTER and watch it fry out,, Now Put that same game into an Old Boat Anchor 2.6 dual XP OS and play it just great !!

So,,

START WITH

Compatability Settings ,,,

TURN OFF your quad core, ( played a game that would ONLY RUN on an Old single layer Chip GMS actually posted a Site that had a Prog that turned Off the Dual layer chips)

CHECK and see if it is Your Hardwares' Drivers that glitch with Win 8 << wanna Bet ??
    Wanna BET your old Radeon 9550 Drivers DONT WORK with Win 8 and wont till *someone* writes new Drivers etc,, etc,,,etc
  • xionariuss
    xionariuss Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have 0 issues at all on my windows 8 machine with fw. Infact even all the crashing i had when on win 7 is now gone.

if you haven't done so, I would recommend turning textures, water effects, and shadows to as low as possible. Should reduce crashing drastically if you're having the same problems as me.
  • parking
    edited March 2013
    xionariuss wrote: »
    I have 0 issues at all on my windows 8 machine with fw. Infact even all the crashing i had when on win 7 is now gone.

if you haven't done so, I would recommend turning textures, water effects, and shadows to as low as possible. Should reduce crashing drastically if you're having the same problems as me.

The thing is ,, your Bigger, Better, Better, Shinier should run FW NP with everything Maxed right out full blast,,,

For some reason the more MicroSoft tries to be like Apple and be an outstanding Media Center the more MicroSoft screws up

But seriously, MicroSoft did not consult any of the * BIG BOYS * in Video or Sound hardware at all when they designed 8, they did exactly the same thing with 7
  • legendsabys
    legendsabys Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17792

You guys may need this, it might help with some of the graphical/media issues, because windows 8 lacks this piece of important software.
    Lilylena - Storm Legion
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Point everyone should take from this is..... never install a new OS prior til at LEAST its first service pack. Even xp sucked until SP3.... oh, and always avoid every OTHER windows release.... ME and Vista bring back any nightmares?
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • legendsabys
    edited March 2013
    Point everyone should take from this is..... never install a new OS prior til at LEAST its first service pack. Even xp sucked until SP3.... oh, and always avoid every OTHER windows release.... ME and Vista bring back any nightmares?

True but getting Windows Media Encoder 9 series, should fix most crashing problems.
    Lilylena - Storm Legion
  • Darksiren - Storm Legion
    Darksiren - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm saying the point you're trying to make is invalid because if it was a Windows 8 error, I would have never gotten the building load error on my laptop. And I crash ALL the time on my desktop with verify error, as well as building load error, so if it was a Windows 8 issue, it wouldn't be happening to me.

The crashing on building load is a 64 bit operating system error, not explicitly related to windows 7 or 8 or vista. Since there are 32 bit versions of vista and 7, those people do not have the crashing problem. Its when you have a 64 bit operating system that you have a problem. This is because, for some reason I dont know, 64 bit operating systems limit 32 bit programs to only 2 GB of memory. They would have up to 4 GB of memory in a native 32 bit operating system. The building load error is due to running out of available memory (dispite having tons of available memory). There is a fix. It has been posted. The more explicit posting which used a 3rd party fix was deleted due to being a "3rd party" fix. And PWE has so far failed to acknowledge or implement the solution themself.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited March 2013
    The crashing on building load is a 64 bit operating system error, not explicitly related to windows 7 or 8 or vista. Since there are 32 bit versions of vista and 7, those people do not have the crashing problem. Its when you have a 64 bit operating system that you have a problem. This is because, for some reason I dont know, 64 bit operating systems limit 32 bit programs to only 2 GB of memory. They would have up to 4 GB of memory in a native 32 bit operating system. The building load error is due to running out of available memory (dispite having tons of available memory). There is a fix. It has been posted. The more explicit posting which used a 3rd party fix was deleted due to being a "3rd party" fix. And PWE has so far failed to acknowledge or implement the solution themself.

?

I run win7x64 and never had any issues crashing.... nor applied any fixes.

Come to think of it... I've never seen FW try to use more than 2GB either, so it may very well be capped at 2, but it has caused no issues for me.

Meh, probably because I'm on a laptop.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • legendsabys
    edited March 2013
    Okay well 64bit's need to get the Windows Media Encoder Software for windows 8, so google Windows Media Encoder 9 series and the official Microsoft download link should come up, download then install, and see if that fix's the issue. Because it seems that 64bit's need that software In order to run games properly.
    Lilylena - Storm Legion
  • Darksiren - Storm Legion
    Darksiren - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ?

I run win7x64 and never had any issues crashing.... nor applied any fixes.

Come to think of it... I've never seen FW try to use more than 2GB either, so it may very well be capped at 2, but it has caused no issues for me.

Meh, probably because I'm on a laptop.

I think different people's graphics cards absorb different portions of the memory usage. For me FW can easily go up to 1.5 to 1.6GB of memory. Most people that crash and watch their memory usage, say its bound to crash if the memory usage is over 1.3 GB approximately. When going through a load screen, the game loads the building.pck file (to extact the info it needs). That pack is about 700 MB, which when added to the 1.3GB is 2 GB in memory during the load screen. Thats the tipping point. If your system doesnt have FW memory go that high, you wouldnt end up crashing.
    Okay well 64bit's need to get the Windows Media Encoder Software for windows 8, so google Windows Media Encoder 9 series and the official Microsoft download link should come up, download then install, and see if that fix's the issue. Because it seems that 64bit's need that software In order to run games properly.

Thats an entirely separate problem, the windows 8 compatibility problem. I was just responding to the slight thread derail about the "cannot load game data" crash, which is the 64 bit OS problem, not tied to the windows 8 compatibility problem.

Unfortunately, ppl who upgrade to windows 8 get both problems at once, then assume both are related only to windows 8.

The 64 bit OS crashing problem wont be solved with that media encoder, as I've posted many times, its a memory shortfall problem, not a missing library file problem. The issue has now been entirely solved, the solution known, and the developers havent moved their asses to fix it.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited March 2013
    I think different people's graphics cards absorb different portions of the memory usage. For me FW can easily go up to 1.5 to 1.6GB of memory. Most people that crash and watch their memory usage, say its bound to crash if the memory usage is over 1.3 GB approximately. When going through a load screen, the game loads the building.pck file (to extact the info it needs). That pack is about 700 MB, which when added to the 1.3GB is 2 GB in memory during the load screen. Thats the tipping point. If your system doesnt have FW memory go that high, you wouldnt end up crashing.

Thats an entirely separate problem, the windows 8 compatibility problem. I was just responding to the slight thread derail about the "cannot load game data" crash, which is the 64 bit OS problem, not tied to the windows 8 compatibility problem.

Unfortunately, ppl who upgrade to windows 8 get both problems at once, then assume both are related only to windows 8.

The 64 bit OS crashing problem wont be solved with that media encoder, as I've posted many times, its a memory shortfall problem, not a missing library file problem. The issue has now been entirely solved, the solution known, and the developers havent moved their asses to fix it.

Makes sense. Mine chills around 7-900 when afking. Guess my nvidia m160's in SLI eat enough to block crashes.... though.... I also havnt had any crashes when turning them off and running off integrated motherboard graphics. Though that would make more sense since in theory the onboard graphics get their own 2gb cap, correct?
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
  • vursed
    edited March 2013
    True but getting Windows Media Encoder 9 series, should fix most crashing problems.

are you able to explain how somethin related to windows media encoder helps with FW stuff? im noob
  • rickkelsf
    rickkelsf Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Try using Troubleshoot compatibility with Win8

And select use "Try recommended settings". Lower Graphics levels slightly.
    = no problems for me.

Piinky