Need Tips for MAGE DEF please

blackmorbidality
blackmorbidality Posts: 35 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Mage Discussion
Hey I thought there might have been a post on this issue but I guess I was wrong or just cant find it. I know what you will probably tell me. Get TOK set. Well..I dont see why we all need to make the same toon. Im lvl 74 lightening mage..I tried Nergal set and its terrible. So I was advised to get warded stout gears..it helped but Im still terrible at IP. I have not taken this toon to AC or anything like that either cuz I dont want to give the healers hard time.

What I need to know is...what gems? and perhaps any specific offhand names to look out for. Someone told me not to put def gems in my gears unless I am a tank. That dont make any sense. I know mages are suppose to focus on crit gems and eagle eyes...but if you can take the hits from your mobs then you are useless.

So please help. I know mages are tougher to build but there has got to be some clarity and simplicity in this. I need the right answers. Please and thank you.
Post edited by blackmorbidality on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~FW Parasite ~ GrimelleShroud~

Comments

• fthawe
    fthawe Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mage def I think you mean Mage survivability

tok = average person
    When I see an average mage
    I see 20,000 hp
    32,000 mp
    2,700 attack
    and all pve
    [and above really bad but oh well]

Nergal is good if you build the attack.

warded stout makes you not be able to kill - besides your tank should be tanking not you

gems
    If you are pve then bloodstone azure ragefire solarflare
    offhand - blue carnival or abused skull. blue 70. get over 130 mastery
    not to put def gems does make sense. if you can' take hits form mobs....
    well you are lightning mage, use kiting and knockback against monsters. and kill them before they reach you.

basically get attack identify not mana identify. use kiting and skill + knockback. do higher damage. avoid being hit.
  • blackmorbidality
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the info. Yes I realize mages do need to attack hard and move fast. This also brings me to believe that Crit Dodge gems may be a good idea as well? Or is that for pvp? And Crit Damage gems.

I understand what you saying though..mages not the tank but the hp goes down so fast its ridiculous. Which is why I have not taken this toon to any long instance runs.

As for switching from Nergal set to Warded Stout gears..I really did see an improvement. Just not sufficient. Of course I need to find good deals on fusion agents and emb some more lvl3 gems. I dont put anything lower than that in my gears. I suppose when I open alot more of my soul power I can see more improvement in survivability.
  • jhereg4250
    jhereg4250 Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if you have done this, but I figured I would toss it out there.

Refine levels help a lot as well. It's not just about the gear, but how good you make it. With lvl 9 refines on all pcs you should see much better survivability as well. When you get to 77 and get the new ToK gear, transfer up. If you get 145 dedi every week and fish a bit/get free/get achievement star crystals a full set of lvl 9 refines is not out of reach.
  • blackmorbidality
    edited January 2013
    Yes I have been fortifying all gear pieces. I only have most of them at level 6 right now though. I also know about the star fragments for transferring fort levels and gems. :) This toon's soul power chart needs much more work. Once I get higher in it perhaps he will become reasonably more sufficient.
    Thanks for these tips.
  • Rhugiga - Storm Legion
    Rhugiga - Storm Legion Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In my opinion def gems aren't very worth it. I would only use them as filler gems for open spots on 4 slotted gear. Even in PvE when it really come down to it your Sinister Protection will help more than the Def gems, especially since your knock back as a wind mage will keep them from hitting you provided you can "juggle" them well enough.

For endgame set I actually use the Empyrian set(AS). I have found it gives slightly more damage output with the higher attack bonuses and more crit damage. Although this set will probably be alot harder to come by now since most people don't farm for pieces. It isnt as great for survivability.

Fth pretty much covered the rest. My last piece of advice would be that if you are going for a PvP build put eagle eyes in earlier, and if PvE build put them in later.
    <"Its not a success unless someone fails">
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackmorbidality
    edited January 2013
    Yeah Eagle-Eyes are good for mage I hear. And I have a bound lvl2 from Masha so I have been working on making a lvl3 with it. I had been told use Crit Dodge gems?? Anyone know? Mages really are more work. lol But they are fun if you dont die. lol I will be looking forward to working harder on my soul power grid.
  • DeathRider - Eyrda
    DeathRider - Eyrda Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Learn once for all, There is no Defense for Mages,

Best you can do is get x4 Crystalines x2 Cri Dodge, x4 Mana x 8 HP

Max Wind Physical Dark Resistances

Arena Purple

As many + Cri Dodge + Cri Def as you can get on GEAR IDs

Still Getting all above wont grants you wont get 1 Shot by any Assassin even quite less geared than you
    [sigpic]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-46579-1307226035276116204-green.png[/sigpic]

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the FINAL Victory comes.
  • Chaotikiss - Eyrda
    Chaotikiss - Eyrda Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Eva is great for a mage. no matter how many def gems/crit def, etc you put in your gear you can still get one shot by a average sin or other well geared players. If they cant hit you though then they cant hurt you. If you get your eva up around 500 and your crit dodge to 15 then most people won't even be able to hit you. you cant damage what you cant hit.
  • Chaotikiss - Eyrda
    Chaotikiss - Eyrda Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh, one more thing. it only takes around 350 eva to evade level 80 mobs:)
  • miki0002b
    miki0002b Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is 400 eva reachable for mages? We don't get eva buff or talent like vampires do. I'm a frost mage and I thought about complimenting Ice Shield + rune for it but everyone said it would be futile.
  • divineauroras
    divineauroras Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Eva is great for a mage. no matter how many def gems/crit def, etc you put in your gear you can still get one shot by a average sin or other well geared players. If they cant hit you though then they cant hurt you. If you get your eva up around 500 and your crit dodge to 15 then most people won't even be able to hit you. you cant damage what you cant hit.

I concur! It's fairly easy to get 350 evasion with single evasion ID's and soul power + lvl 3 gems. Evasion is great for pve and AMAZING for pvp if you can get enough of it (350 evasion in pvp is almost useless as you'll only dodge the ppl who are too weak to hurt anyways).
    SirFanion.jpg
    DivineSpirits (Fire/Ice Mage), DivineAuror (Divine Priest), SirFanion (Elemental Warrior); Allied with Rhondelyn and DarqueShadow