3rd party program abuse investigation

Comments

• Aesica - Storm Legion
    Aesica - Storm Legion Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    taeshi wrote: »
    its a lose-lose situation
    the company loses its customers while players getting banned from the company's bad management.

here's a better solution instead of permanently banning them: either delete these "**** items" or roll back the server.
    Simply deleting **** items isn't even a slap on the hand. It's like saying "we caught you in the cookie jar this time, so we'll just take the cookies away without actually punishing you for it." It also says this: "You're free to try to get cookies sometime in the future--we'll only take them away if we catch you."

Rolling back the server is grossly unfair to anyone who isn't involved. Why should I lose days of game time because of something a few r-tards did? I shouldn't have to be punished for somebody else's stupidity.
    i know many of the banned players have devoted time as well as money on this game. its kinda harsh to just cut the tie and discard them.
    That's called entitlement, and it's BS. If someone spends money on the game to further their enjoyment, then great! It helps keep the game alive and it gives them an edge as a way to say thanks. What it doesn't give them is the right to run wild like they own the place, screaming "I DO WHAT I WANT!"

People like that are tumors. Tumors get removed to promote good health. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Unofficial Forsaken World Talent Calculator:
    http://www.aesica.net/fw
  • PostgreSQL - Eyrda
    PostgreSQL - Eyrda Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The blame for this is all PWE's. I'm not saying it's ok to exploit things and the people that did should lose their accounts permanently. I find it funny though that the people that run the game are all shocked and angered when this stuff happens. Fix your game and this won't happen. EVERY time this happens it is because of something to do with the website giving people items in game. Reward shop giving unlimited items etc. When are you guys going to figure out that it's a bad idea to do things this way? Wake up and stop creating the problem.

We all know if you leave things open to be exploited then people will always take advantage of it. If you can't figure out how to do events and promos properly then just stop. All you are doing is making things worse for everyone including yourselves.

its not the companies fault.

If you leave your house unlocked one day, does this give people the right to steal your stuff? No it does not.
    Accidents happen even in a big company. And its the players to blame themselfs for disobeying the TOS.
    [SIGPIC]http://rcupload.com/images/QeRFD.png[/SIGPIC]
    -->MSSQL Is NOT my alt !<--
  • Earthgirl - Storm Legion
    Earthgirl - Storm Legion Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ok let me clarify this:

1) people used a 3rd party program to exploit the Halloween Event page so they could get what they wanted even if it wasnt in this part of the game yet,

2) people got mad cuz these people got items they cant get or will never b able to get,

3) heads were called for of those who used said program to get said items,

4) when Crab finally says Ok they r getting banned and they will be banned for good, aka never able to access those accts again,

5) The people who got banned just hopped on an alt acct or a borrowed acct and said I am still here and just gonna start all over again, and they will prob do something like this again becuz they can and there is still a kinda sorta way to get away with it,

6) how and why r they willing to do this? They have a good reason to and it has been said right here on these forums many times. Send the item to an alt or friend, etc,

7) now for the biggie: Y do people do this stuff? Cuz they want stuff others have and become ruthless enuf to do stuff like this to get it. Yeah in the USA that is called Jealousy!

So dont tell me its BS cuz its not.

I tend to just keep my mouth shut on these forums cuz I find u all more entertaining than anything.

No1 can agree much with others on here, and y stress myself with fighting with a bunch of people who do this just for fun?

The point is u all wanted somethin done,
    people r being banned,
    but face it a majority of them will still b here after the Investigation is done and may or may not still have some of the items,
    people will continue to get stuff others can not,
    and people will continue to speak their minds,
    and others will disagree just to disagree.

its called LIFE Deal With It! I have for 50 yrs now:)

I am not fighting with anyone, I just don't want to see the IP ban idea punishing the innocent along with the guilty.

And as for your years, I'm a little older than 50 (only by a couple of years)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LvL 90. Fix the avatars please.
  • nragedrain
    nragedrain Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Trust me.
    they wont IP ban them only. They will do much more than that.
    I wouldnt be surprised if people who account shared with the people that exploited got banned too(probably what happen in dustys situation since the whole Godly Dan sitch they got goin on).

idk Postgre i just said welcomeback ingame to our guildleader so gg to that
  • JamrilArroway - Storm Legion
    JamrilArroway - Storm Legion Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    its not the companies fault.

If you leave your house unlocked one day, does this give people the right to steal your stuff? No it does not.
    Accidents happen even in a big company. And its the players to blame themselfs for disobeying the TOS.

Well PWE's is part to blame in the lack of security the site should have. But saying that all fault is only on them? No.

The people that used this way to get the item knew well what they were doing. They got caught and now they will need to go with the result.

Only things we can hope in the future is that similar case will have the same consequence, and not the normal ''You did it, we arent happy, but meh'' way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aesica - Storm Legion
    Aesica - Storm Legion Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The blame for this is all PWE's. I'm not saying it's ok to exploit things and the people that did should lose their accounts permanently. I find it funny though that the people that run the game are all shocked and angered when this stuff happens. Fix your game and this won't happen. EVERY time this happens it is because of something to do with the website giving people items in game. Reward shop giving unlimited items etc. When are you guys going to figure out that it's a bad idea to do things this way? Wake up and stop creating the problem.

We all know if you leave things open to be exploited then people will always take advantage of it. If you can't figure out how to do events and promos properly then just stop. All you are doing is making things worse for everyone including yourselves.
    Yeah, I definitely agree with this. For the PWE web team:

Use session data whenever possible. Post and get should be your LAST RESORT, and should only ever be used to obtain direct user input, such as character name and server.

Always develop your site features under the assumption that everyone who uses them will be actively looking for exploits, because many of them will be doing just that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Unofficial Forsaken World Talent Calculator:
    http://www.aesica.net/fw
  • PostgreSQL - Eyrda
    PostgreSQL - Eyrda Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Use session data whenever possible. Post and get should be your LAST RESORT, and should only ever be used to obtain direct user input, such as character name and server.

vouch.
    [SIGPIC]http://rcupload.com/images/QeRFD.png[/SIGPIC]
    -->MSSQL Is NOT my alt !<--
  • Sinful_Tia - Storm Legion
    Sinful_Tia - Storm Legion Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Simply deleting **** items isn't even a slap on the hand. It's like saying "we caught you in the cookie jar this time, so we'll just take the cookies away without actually punishing you for it." It also says this: "You're free to try to get cookies sometime in the future--we'll only take them away if we catch you."

Rolling back the server is grossly unfair to anyone who isn't involved. Why should I lose days of game time because of something a few r-tards did? I shouldn't have to be punished for somebody else's stupidity.

That's called entitlement, and it's BS. If someone spends money on the game to further their enjoyment, then great! It helps keep the game alive and it gives them an edge as a way to say thanks. What it doesn't give them is the right to run wild like they own the place, screaming "I DO WHAT I WANT!"

People like that are tumors. Tumors get removed to promote good health. ;)

And I totally agree with u on this.

My whole point I have been trying to make is this:

some of u have made posts on this very forum telling people how to get around losing items that were gotten the wrong way,
    yet on another page u scream for the heads of people who do stuff like this
    U cant have it both ways!

And some of us even called for IP bans
    In my case Ok I admit defeat in the knowledge of how ISP's work. But what u all fail to see is some of us dont know this info and I can say if I had been 1 of those who got banned, I would have thought OH **** I GUESS I WONT B PLAYING THAT GAME ANYMORE:( Until I read the post about resetting my IP, then I would have been happy again cuz I wouldnt have felt punished much at all.

U all either start keeping ur mouths shut as how to exploit the game EX: Stop sharing the info with ur CHOICE others
    or face the fact that the CHOICE other u told tells his/her CHOICE other
    and somebodys CHOICE other ends up getting u all in trouble for it.

Well u all wouldnt have gotten in trouble for stealing the piece of candy from the candy dish if u the instigator would have listened to ur parents in the 1st place after being told u couldnt have anymore right now.

And on the point of these people just gettin on alt accts and/or having to start all over again, well once again SOME1 opened their mouths as to how to get around that by using alts. Which I think is unfair and that person should have their mouth super glued shut for telling how to do it.

People we all have no1 to blame for things that r done in Life ... but ourselves.
  • gekidodamus
    gekidodamus Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited November 2012

That's why PWE, along with pretty much every online game ever, has a rule against exploiting bugs or glitches. Because bugs and glitches happen because humans aren't perfect.

It's PWE's fault there was something to exploit.
    It was the players' fault to exploit it.

Period.

PWE didn't force them to exploit it.

If someone breaks into your house and steals your things, was it your fault for not being secure enough?
    I mean, they were only exploiting YOUR weakness in security, right? They shouldn't be arrested because it was your fault for not having an invulnerable fortress.
  • welkinrunner
    welkinrunner Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm guessing the ones speaking in thier defense are either the offenders or rely on the offenders in some manner. No one made them abuse the rewards, once fixed no one made them find a new way to keep on doing it. To the rollback the server GTFO !!, why should all the innocent players be wronged yet again over this? They have already been robbed of the rewards due to these players, and now your suggesting to remove progress they have made on their toons, or drops they have gotten or sold and so forth?
    Granted some of those banned I've known awhile a couple even been in the different guilds with them.
    Will I miss them if they are perma-banned?? yes I will, do I think they should be allowed to slide this one time? I hate to say it but no, if they where then all would have to allowed back as well. All that will do is send the message a lot have already voiced, it'd be just a slap on the wrist and then over looked it is better a stand against such behavior is made now stood by, instead of allowing it to get even worse, and even more players wanted to holler its all PWE's fault, as if they forced these people at gun to break the rules.
  • Bubbleliciouss - Eyrda
    Bubbleliciouss - Eyrda Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    1) IP bans don't work. They just don't. It's easy enough to get around them, and while you can blanket ban an entire IP range, that can inadvertently also affect other people who might be on the same IP range. That also can be circumvented by the banned user. Also, what if two siblings play this game, and one cheats profusely while the other is honest to a fault? It's not fair to the honest one to ban them because of their brother/sister's BS.

2) An alt account isn't going to bring back everything their main accounts had. It takes considerable work (or cash spending) to get all the best gems, IDs, and other misc **** required to be "the best" in this game. A ban in this manner is a pretty serious blow, and will make anyone capable of understanding cause and effect think twice about cheating again.

A fresh start is still a fresh start, and anyone who doesn't learn a lesson from having their top-tier characters put to the torch is literally mentally ****, at least to some degree.

Maybe they should have just done it on their alts to start with.. Would have saved alot of trouble.. Im just saying why spend all that money and still be greedy..
  • XXSorceriXx - Lionheart
    XXSorceriXx - Lionheart Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    if there is a roll-back there should be a guarantee that the zen (leafs) we have bought will be credited back to our account. i won't put a dollar amount here of what i have spent. that is no one's business but mine and pwe's. so having stated that without knowing what is going on in the pwe headquarters all i can hope for is that the problem be taken care of. the only people who should have to worry are ones that this has been about so why snap and bite at each other? bleh, peace.
    understand?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Am I an Offender ..... No

Do I know some1 who was an Offender...... yes

Do I think they should b punished... yes, but not for my own self satisfaction, but to teach them a lesson

Do I think there should b a Rollback... Dont c it happening but if they did I see them losing alot more people that way then they r possibly losing now

I just dont agree with it being said
    "I hope it was worth it, since their time here is finished."
    or this
    "They are 100% DONE with this game."

When they clearly arent finished, since they cant b IP banned nor is there much of any other way to keep them from being able to play the game still.

In my book, yes they may lose those chars, yes they may possibly lose the items they got wrongly, and yes this is what is being called punishment by most currently.

But really how much of a punishment is it? They can still play the game, they can still do this again if given the chance, they most likely wil get punished for it again, umm.. I just see a cycle repeat here sadly :(

Just give up the fight now people... its a NO-Win situation (unless u see fighting and disagreeing with others as WIN )
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    honestly to do a complete roll-back isn't quite feasible due to people buying zen (like me) and several others i know. if there is a roll-back there should be a guarantee that the zen (leafs) we have bought will be credited back to our account. i won't put a dollar amount here of what i have spent. that is no one's business but mine and pwe's. so having stated that without knowing what is going on in the pwe headquarters all i can hope for is that the problem be taken care of. the only people who should have to worry are ones that this has been about so why snap and bite at each other? bleh, peace.

Some people depend on the banned players.... Say for example... A guild leader was banned. Or an ingame spouse. That affects hundreds of guildmates. Or even just 1 person who now has lost leaves from a marriage pack.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
    edited November 2012
    Some people depend on the banned players.... Say for example... A guild leader was banned. Or an ingame spouse. That affects hundreds of guildmates. Or even just 1 person who now has lost leaves from a marriage pack.

that may be true in some senses but does that mean that you can't go to another guild? find other friends? find a different spouse? does that mean poor judgement by the ones affected by the person who was banned? it all comes down to the banned one and what their actions caused but that doesn't account for all the snapping, biting, back stabbing, 'he did', 'she did', that's going on. it's a bunch of pucky. people need to think about it.
    understand?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jreborn
    jreborn Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I had trick or treated Henry a few times, and was expecting a candy that healed or boosted stats.
    Instead I received VIP cards and a Pet Essence.

I found out later that I wasn't just that lucky to receive those things, but that our GMs are so very good to us.

Thank you for this event, and know that your efforts and generosity are very much appreciated.
    I loved my treats. :)

No matter the circumstances, greed will always come back to bite you in the end.
  • BegForIt - Eyrda
    BegForIt - Eyrda Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One of my friend's account was banned. She never used the halloween page and doesn't even know what a 3rd party program is. I hope she gets her account back soon. She's worried and I'm upset.
    edited November 2012

So I must ask if these people r depended on ... then y did they do something to mess it up for those who depended on them?

My Hubby (ofc rl and ingame huby r 1 in the same) would b in a world of hurt (verbal ofc) if he done something like that or got me banned. And I would expect the same from him.

A guild Leader who done it... really that is bad. That guild leader sure isnt 1 whom I would lay my dependency on then. Enuf Said there.

But yeah I can see ur point and others ... If they IP banned, yeah Innocent people could b punished also (like we arent already).

But u all have to see my point also... we need to start keeping our mouths shut on somethings.
    If a friend finds an Exploit and tells u about it.. really what kind of a friend r they?
    Cuz all they r doing is gettin ready to rob a bank and they now have placed a gun in ur hands and asked u to b their accomplice.
    Now the choice lies in ur hand to follow them or to say No Thank You and walk away.
    Think about it, I have a legitimate point here.
  • parking
    parking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Its called COMMON SENSE PEOPLE !! Read the ToS ,, you will be BANNED at PWE descretion

TOO BAD!! SO SAD !!

COMMON SENSE !! DUH !!

My Car can Fit on the Sidewalk BUT I dont drive down the sidewalk to avoid a traffic jam, Do You

A Stop sign is basically only a suggestion, I should NOT get a ticket for NOT STOPPING if no one is coming

I stopped at a RED LIGHT, No one is coming on the Green,, So I drove through it!
    I DONT DESERVE A TICKET

I saw your Purse or Wallet outside your car Door in a Parklot
    Do I
    A) leave it and walk away
    b) Pick it up, look through it,, Grab any cash or Valuables and throw the Pruse/wallet in the garbage
    c) Take it to Customer service and stand there and WAIT till someone show up to claim it

D) Take it HOME, Phone the person and inform them I found thier stuff and tell them where they can pick it up

Anyone who has Lost a purse/Wallet/Cell phone/ etc etc Knows the answer ...
    anyone of you that has to THINK of an excuse not to do the right thing needs a

th?id=I.4881372837314624&pid=15.1
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • Chocolate_Rain - Storm Legion
    Chocolate_Rain - Storm Legion Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    parking wrote: »
    Its called COMMON SENSE PEOPLE !! Read the ToS ,, you will be BANNED at PWE descretion

TOO BAD!! SO SAD !!

COMMON SENSE !! DUH !!

My Car can Fit on the Sidewalk BUT I dont drive down the sidewalk to avoid a traffic jam, Do You

A Stop sign is basically only a suggestion, I should NOT get a ticket for NOT STOPPING if no one is coming

I stopped at a RED LIGHT, No one is coming on the Green,, So I drove through it!
    I DONT DESERVE A TICKET

I saw your Purse or Wallet outside your car Door in a Parklot
    Do I
    A) leave it and walk away
    b) Pick it up, look through it,, Grab any cash or Valuables and throw the Pruse/wallet in the garbage
    c) Take it to Customer service and stand there and WAIT till someone show up to claim it

D) Take it HOME, Phone the person and inform them I found thier stuff and tell them where they can pick it up

Anyone who has Lost a purse/Wallet/Cell phone/ etc etc Knows the answer ...
    anyone of you that has to THINK of an excuse not to do the right thing needs a

th?id=I.4881372837314624&pid=15.1

your comment about the car made me lol
    It's pretty sad when a game forum is more entertaining than the actual game itself.
  • Larann - Storm Legion
    Larann - Storm Legion Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is the best fix here... I know someone who was caught illegally downloading movies online. Their entire internet was suspended, and they had to sign a form before their internet was returned saying if caught again, never would they be allowed to have internet in their name, nor at their current address. This is what I think PWE should look into doing. Perfect punishment.

The company with the copyrights to the movie contacted the ISP of the guilty party, and that's all it took.
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited November 2012
    that may be true in some senses but does that mean that you can't go to another guild? find other friends? find a different spouse? does that mean poor judgement by the ones affected by the person who was banned? it all comes down to the banned one and what their actions caused but that doesn't account for all the snapping, biting, back stabbing, 'he did', 'she did', that's going on. it's a bunch of pucky. people need to think about it.

The rest of the guild shouldn't have to suffer though. There are no extra bases on Eyrda to start over with. Nor are there lv3 guild bases that have room for 200 people. Gms could at least transfer leadership.to the vice... But they won't.

All I am saying is that in SOME cases... Other people suffer due to this.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • Chocolate_Rain - Storm Legion
    Chocolate_Rain - Storm Legion Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The rest of the guild shouldn't have to suffer though. There are no extra bases on Eyrda to start over with. Nor are there lv3 guild bases that have room for 200 people. Gms could at least transfer leadership.to the vice... But they won't.

true.
    It's pretty sad when a game forum is more entertaining than the actual game itself.
  • Brim_McRoy - Eyrda
    Brim_McRoy - Eyrda Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Warlords has enough room for about 100... after the lil announcement last night though we got another 10-20 people to join even with the insanity of WC and Goon
    FWs only Acolyte of Khorne --> warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Khorne
    Loki and Crabclaw: The Lost Gods of FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    edited November 2012
    Man I miss the days when FW just started.

Final had nearly two full guilds. Final and finai. As did immortals.

Wars daily. Full realms. Nonstop fighting at western/reeves. Cracked dungeons were suicide.... People camped pet spawns for days. People didn't dare go on a guild trade run alone...

Now... I'm lucky if I see someone in the world who isn't in town or botting.
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    edited November 2012

ok so what does that say about the people in the guild following the leader who was banned? it's the old adage "if i jump off a bridge will you?" i mean think about it! really think! are you going to be 'guilty by association' because you are in their guild or their friend? make your own guild, be your own person. it's the guild leader who was banned. yea it affects the guild. 'his' guild. you can be part of his downfall or you can be who you are. it's all up to you. it's not pwe's fault. they don't have to transfer anything.
    understand?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Campino - Illyfue
    Campino - Illyfue Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ok so what does that say about the people in the guild following the leader who was banned? it's the old adage "if i jump off a bridge will you?" i mean think about it! really think! are you going to be 'guilty by association' because you are in their guild or their friend? make your own guild, be your own person. it's the guild leader who was banned. yea it affects the guild. 'his' guild. you can be part of his downfall or you can be who you are. it's all up to you. it's not pwe's fault. they don't have to transfer anything.

sad but soooo true
  • renisbackagain
    renisbackagain Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Trust me.
    they wont IP ban them only. They will do much more than that.
    I wouldnt be surprised if people who account shared with the people that exploited got banned too(probably what happen in dustys situation since the whole Godly Dan sitch they got goin on).

I have heard a rumor that Dustymidnight called PWE and apparently they are unbanning her tomorrow despite these facts; if she reappears ingame, you all should make noise about it.

a: she has access to and shares half of her guild's accounts, while I agree the rule is f***tarded and shouldn't exist it is still a violation to account share and many before her were permbanned for it.

b: she abused the **** out of this halloween event with dan on the many accounts she has access to.

That said, PWE are absolutely **** if they think they can afford to ban what few people are stupid enough to still play or especially cash shop this game.
    The game has been dying for a long time because fresh players cannot compete, there are too many realms, no pvp and no reason to leave town which in itself would cause pvp, no instances worth doing cause nothing sells for gold, and so on.
    The GMs pretty much just buying the casket now, LOL
    Want someone on a PWE game banned? Post some loose info about your enemy on an account seller website and even after years of petitioning they're f***ed!
    http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3448841&postcount=1
    "Players that already received arena gear will be allowed to keep the gear (it's not their fault that the bug was there)." - RayPWE
  • osiron23
    osiron23 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have heard a rumor that Dustymidnight called PWE and apparently they are unbanning her tomorrow despite these facts; if she reappears ingame, you all should make noise about it.

a: she has access to and shares half of her guild's accounts, while I agree the rule is f***tarded and shouldn't exist it is still a violation to account share and many before her were permbanned for it.

b: she abused the **** out of this halloween event with dan on the many accounts she has access to.

That said, PWE are absolutely **** if they think they can afford to ban what few people are stupid enough to still play or especially cash shop this game.
    The game has been dying for a long time because fresh players cannot compete, there are too many realms, no pvp and no reason to leave town which in itself would cause pvp, no instances worth doing cause nothing sells for gold, and so on.

Exactly why no matter what crabclaw says, I won't believe anyone is permabanned until it actually happens. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that this is happening. Talk is cheap. PWE's history speaks for itself. Everyone will be back before we know it. lol
  • xlykir
    xlykir Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

The character is logged on as we speak. Nice to know that you can break the tos and remain untouched if you've spent enough.
This discussion has been closed.