3rd party program abuse investigation

crabclaw
crabclaw Posts: 953 Arc User
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
Update 11/13 - Our investigation is pretty much complete at this point. Here's what's going to happen moving forward. There are two groups of players that were banned due to this exploit:

Group 1 - Users that maliciously abused the Halloween event page to send themselves illegal, impossible items.
Group 2 - Users that came into contact with the illegal items in game, without having exploited the page (this almost entirely includes gems).

Players in group 2 will find their accounts unbanned in the near future as we comb through them to remove as many of the illegal items as possible.

Players in group 1 will remain permanently banned. As I said several days ago, we have a great deal of leniency here at PWE. However, this recent event goes beyond what we can address with anything short of permanent bans.

For any guild that finds their leader banned, leadership can be transferred by having the guild leader ticket in and naming who leadership should be transferred to. As a reminder, no support of any kind for account bans can be given over the boards. Any threads or inquiries about bans will be closed with instructions to submit a ticket to customer support.

We wish that it hadn't come to this, but we feel that this is the best course of action to maintain the integrity of the game. Had this gone unpunished, the damage done to the in game economy and overall balance would have been irreversible. Again, I deeply apologize to everyone that legitimately enjoyed the Halloween event.

Update 11/8 - We are still in the process of individually checking accounts involved in this situation. We have complete logs of everything that has occurred in relation to this, and it is safe to say that many of the bans implemented yesterday will be permanent. This will take some additional time to thoroughly investigate. I'll try to have more information tomorrow.

Hello,

This thread is a general notice that we are in the process of investigating accounts linked to the use of a third party program that has been used in an illegal fashion to damage the integrity of the game. Anyone that has used this program will have their account disabled while we investigate on a case by case basis what damage was caused by their use of it. Appropriate action will then be taken.

I will make every effort to convey new information as soon as I receive it, but for now, this thread is notice that if your account is banned in the near future, you know the reason why.
Post edited by crabclaw on

Comments

• Aetolus - Eyrda
    Aetolus - Eyrda Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    crabclaw wrote: »
    Appropriate action will then be taken.

Well that will be a first.
  • HitEmHard - Eyrda
    HitEmHard - Eyrda Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    crabclaw wrote: »

In An Illegal Fashion To Damage The Integrity Of The Game.

So does this mean we're not getting our fashion back??????

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Sabriele - Storm Legion
    Sabriele - Storm Legion Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    <insert cluelessness here>

What kind of 3rd party program are we talking about here? gold/zen generators? or is that info classified?
    Broken Avatar -- . --

IGN : Sabriele
    Class : Assassin
    Level : 80
    Tree : Venom
  • crabclaw
    crabclaw Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    so does this mean we're not getting our fashion back??????

:confused::confused::confused:

Completely unrelated.
  • Brim_McRoy - Eyrda
    Brim_McRoy - Eyrda Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    info will probably stay classified as they continue the investigation, to prevent any leaks to any suspected individuals as to the nature of the problem... if you want them to get it over quickly STFU and let them work
    FWs only Acolyte of Khorne --> warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Khorne
    Loki and Crabclaw: The Lost Gods of FW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aishleen - Eyrda
    Aishleen - Eyrda Posts: 2,005 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is this related to Halloween thing or not? Since the page is down again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sabriele - Storm Legion
    Sabriele - Storm Legion Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    From further research.. me thinks it may include the firebug exploit on the halloween page, since that didnt go away when they fixed the reloading. other than that, im just gonna let crab work =)
    Broken Avatar -- . --

IGN : Sabriele
    Class : Assassin
    Level : 80
    Tree : Venom
  • bucketlolis
    bucketlolis Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Someone's been naughty.
    [SIGPIC]http://i42.tinypic.com/ilhb7p.png[/SIGPIC]
    Fatexu: Level 80 Human Assassin

The battle is all over except the "shouting" when one knows what is wanted and has made up his mind to get it, whatever the price may be.
  • Shinner - Lionheart
    Shinner - Lionheart Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I might not know what your talking about but glad to see pwe actually responding to this and doing something about it
  • Shiister - Storm Legion
    Shiister - Storm Legion Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think PWE is just bsing to save face after the Halloween fiasco.
  • IceyHeart - Eyrda
    IceyHeart - Eyrda Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think PWE is just bsing to save face after the Halloween fiasco.

^This.

+ a few ppl will get a ban lasting a few days and that will be it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Taliesin - Eyrda
    Taliesin - Eyrda Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Joy..GodlyDan will get a 3 day ban then we get to hear him being arrogant on global again!
  • BegForIt - Eyrda
    BegForIt - Eyrda Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Crab, my friend just got a ban. But i know she didn't do anything wrong, hell she asked me what a third party program is -_-

Can you sharpen up your investigations and avoid improper bans :/
  • Firebat - Eyrda
    Firebat - Eyrda Posts: 4,190 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This makes me smile
    [Sigpic][/Sigpic]
    GreyjoyKraken -Firebat has been revealed as an evil bridge troll. Seek him out and solve his riddles three to get the mythical 2013 holiday box.
  • parking
    parking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    NOW I AM IMPRESSED ! ! !

Id send you a Gift card from Starbucks, But I AM CANADIAN, and I think it would be misconstrued and highly inappropriate considering the OPs topic ,,,

THOUGH, THIS IS APPROPRIATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5lvrcNWwI
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • Suuliya - Storm Legion
    Suuliya - Storm Legion Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is more like just an attempt to scare anyone into stopping using whatever they are talking about. If they really wanted to or could detect and stop it they would just do it not post this. So they are going to warn people and hope they aren't forced to ban anyone cause we all know that the people that are the biggest offenders with this stuff are usually also the biggest spenders too.
  • Taliesin - Eyrda
    Taliesin - Eyrda Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is more like just an attempt to scare anyone into stopping using whatever they are talking about. If they really wanted to or could detect and stop it they would just do it not post this. So they are going to warn people and hope they aren't forced to ban anyone cause we all know that the people that are the biggest offenders with this stuff are usually also the biggest spenders too.

they can. a lot of accounts have been banned so far, not just the ones that were reported.
  • parking
    parking Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I think after the last few little episodes PWE got the hint ,,,

Tis better to BAN 100 people that spend $1000 / month

VS

pizzing off 2000 people that might spend $50/month with the potential to recruit 1 - 10 people / Month as new players

after all, in the long run, Not only FW is affected but the entire PWE game line up
    You cant fix STUPID, but YOU CAN KILL IT ! ! !
    FYI:90% of my post is sarcasm,read it again and figure it out!
  • intommydat3r
    intommydat3r Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So why is everyone getting banned?
    PLEASE EXPLAIN CRAB CLAW ...And while your at it ...unban my main o.o as I didnt use Glitch at all ...
  • Nyxa - Storm Legion
    Nyxa - Storm Legion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So why is everyone getting banned?
    PLEASE EXPLAIN CRAB CLAW ...And while your at it ...unban my main o.o as I didnt use Glitch at all ...

merged since you didn't read the forums before making a new thread
    [SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/i/deur0g.png/[/SIGPIC]
    Special thanks to chaosheart27 for the awesome sig
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. Edgar Allan Poe
  • intommydat3r
    edited November 2012
    This is BS ....My accout didnt do a thing....
    You might want to check Cash Shooin on it though ..and add up my other accounts..
    BTW
  • Aishleen - Eyrda
    edited November 2012
    parking wrote: »
    I think after the last few little episodes PWE got the hint ,,,

Tis better to BAN 100 people that spend $1000 / month

VS

pizzing off 2000 people that might spend $50/month with the potential to recruit 1 - 10 people / Month as new players

after all, in the long run, Not only FW is affected but the entire PWE game line up
    Apparently tons of people are getting banned so have fun with your ghost town servers >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PostgreSQL - Eyrda
    PostgreSQL - Eyrda Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Apparently tons of people are getting banned so have fun with your ghost town servers >.>

is not ghost town
    im ingame right now lots of people still world chatting o.o
    [SIGPIC]http://rcupload.com/images/QeRFD.png[/SIGPIC]
    -->MSSQL Is NOT my alt !<--
  • Suuliya - Storm Legion
    Suuliya - Storm Legion Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah if the past is any indication they will lock the acts for a week, take no action, then release them. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be a bit surprised if people only get banned for 3 days or something.

Remember the big bloodstone mess where people got all the free bs 4's? Half the top players got their acts locked down but they all got them back in a few days with all the gems they exploited. Some punishment huh?
  • Aishleen - Eyrda
    edited November 2012
    is not ghost town
    im ingame right now lots of people still world chatting o.o
    But at the same time you wonder why 12v12 que takes so long sometimes :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PostgreSQL - Eyrda
    PostgreSQL - Eyrda Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    But at the same time you wonder why 12v12 que takes so long sometimes :P

people are to busy with other instance for 12 v 12 : (
    plus only have a 30 min window i can login each day to do it while most others are in school x.x
    i dont think its a ghost town even tho 12 take a while
    [SIGPIC]http://rcupload.com/images/QeRFD.png[/SIGPIC]
    -->MSSQL Is NOT my alt !<--
  • intommydat3r
    edited November 2012
    FW dont want anyone to know mastery book dont work you lose points...

Try this when You unban my main give back the 100d or more in lost masteries and Resistances...and Fix your Phone number it dont work....

I had Lv87 Physical Mastery
    I had Lv 70+ Wind Mastery

Resistances

Physical Lv87

wind lv 80

water lv 80

earth lv0

Light lv0

Fire lv 40

Dark Lv 70 +

I used mastery book to duel another war for fun last week

Popped Physical mastery to lv98

and wind resistance to lv 80+ only

when i ran outta points ..i thought it didnt seem right....

Used a second book next day before TW started

HERES WHAT I GOT BACK

PHYSICAL MASTERY LV 80
    WIND MASTERY LV 0

PHSYSICAL RESISTANCE lv80
    WIND RESISTANCE LV80
    WATER RESISTANCE LV 80
    EARTH RESISTANCE lv0
    LIGHT RESISTANCE lv 0
    FIRE RESISTANCE lv 20
    Dark RESISTANCE Lv 0

SOOOO what did i lose o.O BTW your WEBSITE HAS BEEN DOWN COULDNT LOG IN TO PUT A TICKET IN...

another guildie tried the same and guess what lost points ...he put a ticket in and response was..Oh ya we know wolf patch will fix that o.O
  • Borsook - Eyrda
    Borsook - Eyrda Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    When I sent a ticket asking if I can get reimbursed if I supply screenshots of Book of Mastery glitch basically what they told me was "We can reimburse you the Book of Mastery, but not the gold".

As if the book is the expensive part.

Thankfully no glitch happened for me, but I was super careful with every step to take screenshots and calculate exactly how much I needed etc.
  • intommydat3r
    edited November 2012
    LOL I figured as much....I put one ticket in before ..got the lamest repsonse ever..
    add up my csin yet FW?

Bor did you use a 3rd party program cause i sure the heck didnt..
  • junglist101
    junglist101 Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i am so glad SO GLAD that you guys are actually doing something i know people got banned by mistake and the would be fixed but i beg of you PLEASE PERMANENTLY ban these people not those 3 day bans PLEASE they **** and abused exploits of the game PLEASE try and bring some sort of REAL punishment to these person you would bring back fun to server where we don't have to deal with these HACKERS please do the right thing and PERMANENT ban these persons. thanks and hope you do the right thing
This discussion has been closed.